• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

Great game. Really pushing my friends to buy it. This game deserves a lot more love then its getting. Don't feel like its as cohesive as Journey or Ico, more a series of amazing moments and one hell of a ending that dont really gel together to make super tight package like Journey or Ico. Still those series of moments are some of my favorite moment of the year in any medium.

Little things like the way little brother
is acting out like kids who have suffered tragedy do, I was shocked when he knocked over that plant and felt embarrassed for Older brother which is feeling I've never felt in a game before.
Just so many amazing moments all well paced and never has you doing anything for too long. Such a beautiful game. Buy it.

Bloody hell. Just
stopped a guy from hanging himself with his burned house and bodies of his family nearby.
Shit. The storytelling in this is fantastic. That whole chapter which began with
the wolves and took you through the graveyard, down the rivers and into the youngster's hallucination
was damn intense.

Grisby

^^^Yeah, that was one of my favorite chapters.

Also, this game has some of the best achievements in a long time. Don't be afraid to pick up everything and experiment.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just finished it. Wow! Starbezee, you are rockstars. What a game! I rarely finish games in one sitting but I just could not put this one down. Absolutely worth its price. The graphics, the art, the gameplay, the story and the atmosphere- everything is top notch. What a beast of a game!
Reminded me of Ico and lot of times, and that is only a good thing.

Damn...I love Ico and absolutely hated journey.

Decisions, decisions. It does look like my kinda game though, so I'll probably get it. Nice puzzles?

sub_o

This game is almost like the story of my life.
It reminded me the time I spent with my late brother

Damn...I love Ico and absolutely hated journey.

Decisions, decisions. It does look like my kinda game though, so I'll probably get it. Nice puzzles?

This is much more like Ico in its design. Lots of exploration, lots of puzzles which feel logical and organic, and vast beautiful environments to travel through. It actually reminds me a lot of Limbo too in regards to some of the puzzles and environments.

How does this look on PS3? Screen tearing, framerate, image quality?

Haven't noticed any issues that all, save a few janky animations and some minor texture pop-in. Not noticed any frame rate struggles at all.

the score was fucking beautiful

Yeah, it's wonderful. Fits the tone perfectly and is never overstated.

I've just
flown on the gryphon which gave its final moments to helping the boys, and now I feel very sad
. Got a bit teary at that point.

Those of you on the fence, please buy this. Already one of the best games I've played this year, and I'm not finished yet. I have to keep my tablet beside me so I can write about these beautiful moments as they happen.

This is much more like Ico in its design. Lots of exploration, lots of puzzles which feel logical and organic, and vast beautiful environments to travel through. It actually reminds me a lot of Limbo too in regards to some of the puzzles and environments.
Limbo and Ico? You said magic words. Sold.

Frillen

Just bought and downloaded the game. Won't be able to play it until tomorrow though, but looking forward to it. It will probably be the last game I play and beat before GTAV.

Crispy75

This game is so rich with beautiful vistas that it is hard to pick favorites; the devs knew what they were doing with all the benches throughout the world.

I only worked out that you could sit on the benches to enjoy the view about 3/4 of the way into the game >_<

Magical. Some of the best, most wondrous and heart-wrenching 3 to 4 hours of gaming I've ever experienced. Such a clever, charming and perfectly paced game; you wouldn't think this was Josef Fares' first game.

pizza dog

Banned
I really wanna go back for a second pass to get the chievos. I really liked the couple I got: painting animals black was silly and a tiny puzzle. Helping that dude by the burned house was... hoooooofff man that was heavy. I like the texture and tiny background the give to the world. They do a great job of adding just a little bit of text into a game that otherwise has exactly zero speech.

I also can't get over the part with the
spider
girl. When you meet that girl and she is some fuckin' leaping, flying ninja babe I thought "huh this is convenient and cool and all but this is sort of breaking my relationship with the game"; I thought he total running/flipping/flying skills were just a design excuse to make sure she doesn't get in your way. WELP
IT GETS CONTEXTUALIZED PRETTY ALRIGHT IN MY BOOK

Yeah, I also found
the way she moved
a bit odd, but like you say, it soon makes sense.

In a way I don't want to play it again for trophies because I feel like that might cheapen the specialness of it. That's why I haven't played Journey through again for trophies despite it being my favourite game of last year.

Anyway, one thing I really liked was the different ways in which the two reacted to things. For instance, the older brother would show them the scroll and ask if they knew the way, whereas the younger brother would joke around or play a prank or something. And I loved the bit when they
rode on the mountain goats; that was such a lovely moment of levity after the dark chapter beforehand.

Oh, one thing though: did the
gryphon not die then?! I was pretty sure it had kicked the bucket after the giant's castle section. It looked pretty badly beat up, but the one at the end looked much cleaner. Was it meant to be a sibling perhaps?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gryphon not die then?! I was pretty sure it had kicked the bucket after the giant's castle section. It looked pretty badly beat up, but the one at the end looked much cleaner. Was it meant to be a sibling perhaps?

It wasn't explained but it could be
the same one or a relative. Or there was just something deeper at work.

I do wish that was kind of explained a little more but if I think about it more
the last parts of the game where the gryphon flies you back home there seems to be a pan of the area where you left the bloodied one
. I'm really not all the way sure but I would like to revisit that.

My favorite parts where almost all the beautiful vistas,
the parts where you help the troll and his wife out, the wolf section, the section with the giants, and of course the last 20~ minutes where the game really delivers that payoff. The part where you have to figure out to swim took me probably 20-25 seconds to figure out. I was just moving into the water and figured I'd try the left trigger and it all made sense. I kind of teared up at the following parts where you pulled the lever on your own and climbed that wall with the will of the older brother pushing you and showing you that you are able to do these things and you are strong enough. It was a touching moment to say the least among the few other scenes such as the death scene.

My assumption is
it was exhausted but not dead. One of the things I like so much about the game is a lot is open to interpretation.

Yeah, I also found
the way she moved
a bit odd, but like you say, it soon makes sense.

In a way I don't want to play it again for trophies because I feel like that might cheapen the specialness of it. That's why I haven't played Journey through again for trophies despite it being my favourite game of last year.

Anyway, one thing I really liked was the different ways in which the two reacted to things. For instance, the older brother would show them the scroll and ask if they knew the way, whereas the younger brother would joke around or play a prank or something. And I loved the bit when they
rode on the mountain goats; that was such a lovely moment of levity after the dark chapter beforehand.
I've played through it twice and got things out of it that I didn't see/think about on the first playthrough. I think it's a game you can do again, like a good movie.

Gaz_RB

Wow didnt really like the first hour or so. But once you
get to the forest
it gets a lot better. Some crazy symbolism going on. And you can tell this was made by someone in the movie industry. Great game.

Gaz_RB

Has anyone taken a screenshot of the
Aurora Borealis
(not sure if that's a spoiler) moment?

That moment reminded me a lot of that part in Journey where the camera turns and you can see the sunset as you slide down the sand.

Great moments.

Aside from the incredible gameplay and storytelling, this is the most visually arresting game I've ever experienced.

Played on PC and I simply could not believe the visuals. Simply amazing.

Vizzeh

Banned
Playing through this game now, it looks stunning, however im on PSN, it definately doesnt have that edge the PC does for prettiness but that not a big factor... the way the brothers both have different capabilities in the game, 1 can do 1 thing well and the other is poor at it whilst both help each other is endearing.,

nny

Speaking of achievements/trophies, I had a big smile on my face when I saw
the two birds reunited
, but felt bad after
throwing the girl's ball down the well and making her cry :/

the way the brothers both have different capabilities in the game, 1 can do 1 thing well and the other is poor at it whilst both help each other is endearing.,

You have no idea how endearing it can get )

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't know if I'd call those non spoilery.
While the location is meaningless without context, the fact that there is only one brother in those screenshots is kind of telling.
This is true. No one who hasn't played it will know at least. Lots of wallpaper material.

Has anyone taken a screenshot of the
Aurora Borealis
(not sure if that's a spoiler) moment?

Most of the game I streamed and I missed that opportunity. Ironically enough the parts where I thought of capping were the latter parts of the game which can be more spoiler filled. I suppose if anyone wants to play it they wouldn't want to see anything unless they aren't too sensitive to that.

Andrew.

Banned
Im pretty sure Im close to the end, but somehow Im going to have to wedge this into my top five of the year. Im kinda speechless at the moment because the entire game is so hypnotic in terms of storytelling, music and the connection that you form between the two characters because of the control scheme. The fact that this game exercises your hand/eye coordination and brain in a way that Ive never experienced before alone easily makes it a contender for me.

This game is grim as hell. And what stands out to me is how it gradually becomes darker and darker. Once you reach the end of Chapter 4 and start Chapter 5, it's a real "What the? Holy shit." moment.

Zornack

Man, I am having a completely different reaction to this game than it seems most people are. Every plot point seems so obvious, nothing came as a surprise, and the gameplay isn't doing anything for me.

90% of the game is running forward and all the puzzles are extremely easy and obvious.

Awesome game with great vistas, cool game mechanics that usually work (my brain would lock up at times doing the dual character control), and amazing journey.

I Love love these types of games and I'm always excited to see new ones come along. Its examples of why the medium is awesome, and the power and freedom Digital games can provide. I of course love Team ICO and thatgamecompany games so seeing more examples of games like that is totally right up my alley.

Also the length is like Journey in I think its a strength and not a weekness. By being able to go through the whole game in one to two sittings, it enhances the overall quest and I leave as satisfied as if I finished a 20 hour adventure game. There's no padding, the puzzle gameplay mechanics keep adding new wrinkles at every turn, and removing dialog enhances the storytelling by letting their gestures, the controller, and your imagination create the narrative.

Its the second best story i've seen this year (only a slight notch below TLOU). And clearly a top contender for GOTY.

Man, I am having a completely different reaction to this game than it seems most people are. Every plot point seems so obvious, nothing came as a surprise, and the gameplay isn't doing anything for me.

90% of the game is running forward and all the puzzles are extremely easy and obvious.

It's one of those games where if you go through it expecting a plot twist or something and you're analysing every little detail to try and work out what the twist will be, yeah, you'll probably have some ideas what might happen.

Maybe just sit back and enjoy the ride instead?

Top Bottom