• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

That was great too. So much good stuff.
Couldn't believe how dark and a bit gruesome the game got after such a cute start. Loved it. Was also shocked when you save that man who hung himself. Anyone know if he dies if you take too long to save him? Brain/hands got messed up at that point for a moment and I didn't think I was going to get to him in time.

Ha, I can confirm that he does die. I started saving him but my Big Bro's animation glitched, so it looked like he was holding the guy up but the dude was still struggling. So while Little Bro was untying the rope the guy eventually just stopped fidgeting and yeah, he was a goner. So I had to restart the checkpoint.

Montresor

That was great too. So much good stuff.
Couldn't believe how dark and a bit gruesome the game got after such a cute start. Loved it. Was also shocked when you save that man who hung himself. Anyone know if he dies if you take too long to save him? Brain/hands got messed up at that point for a moment and I didn't think I was going to get to him in time.

Did you know that
he was hanging himself because his family was burned in a house fire. =( =( =( .... What looks like his wife and little kid are charred with a blanket over top of them. You can give him a little peace by going into the burned house, finding a music box, and giving it to the man. It'll prompt the man to bury his family and then a brief funeral will occur.

Did you know that
he was hanging himself because his family was burned in a house fire. =( =( =( .... What looks like his wife and little kid are charred with a blanket over top of them. You can give him a little peace by going into the burned house, finding a music box, and giving it to the man. It'll prompt the man to bury his family and then a brief funeral will occur.

=O
Are you shitting me?! I knew it was his house and family but I didn't know there was a music box. Damn I wish I found that. So he CAN die, wow! =( Didn't tell my wife too much about the game as she's not a gamer but I did go into a little detail about this part of the game.
Glad more people will be able to play this game on other platforms.

Did you know that
Yup, you even get an achievement for it! :)

I must say the achievements in this game are for the most part REALLY hard, many of them are so obscure and hidden it's almost impossible to figure them out without a guide. On my first playthrough I didn't get a single one LOL. Then again I suck at games. Also I don't give a fuck about achievements.

vladdamad

Wow, this went completely under my radar. Looks like my kind of thing, will be getting it asap.

EDIT: Holy shit, just reading through this thread, as good as Journey? Fully hyped now, shame I have to wait for this to hit PC/PS3

Played through the demo of this with my son (we shared the controller) after I'd had a go solo myself. He's 7yo and the game is rated PEGI 16 in the UK for "the depiction of violence reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life". There's nothing in the demo that comes anywhere close to that and it seems really kid friendly, so I wanted to ask folks who have played it what are the specific moments in the full game that do and can you describe them without spoilers?

I must say the achievements in this game are for the most part REALLY hard, many of them are so obscure and hidden it's almost impossible to figure them out without a guide. On my first playthrough I didn't get a single one LOL. Then again I suck at games. Also I don't give a fuck about achievements.
I've played through twice and I'm still missing three! You're right, they are hard. I think I only picked up two, by accident, on my first go around.

Grisby

Personally I didn't find them too difficult. Most are just picking the side path instead of the main one and its not like the world is super huge. Although to the games credit it does make you feel like your in a bigger place, a testament to the art/graphic peeps.

On another note the achievements are really fun to get. Laughed out loud at one or two. You are right in a way that some of them require a bit of experimenting but the game teaches you at the outset that you can interact with a lot of things.

Jrmint

After watching the QL I'm really intrigued by this game.

Couple questions:
How long is it?
How hard do the puzzles get? I'm not crazy about really confusing puzzles and would really like to get through it to see the story.
Is the story as good as Brad was making it out to be on the Bombcast?

Thanks guys.

nodle

After watching the QL I'm really intrigued by this game.

Couple questions:
How long is it?
How hard do the puzzles get? I'm not crazy about really confusing puzzles and would really like to get through it to see the story.
Is the story as good as Brad was making it out to be on the Bombcast?

Thanks guys.

IT wasn't that long. Wish is was longer.
Puzzles never got hard to the point where you can't figure them out.
Story was great. Wish they made more games like this.
Quit reading this and go buy it!

theytookourjobz

Played through the demo of this with my son (we shared the controller) after I'd had a go solo myself. He's 7yo and the game is rated PEGI 16 in the UK for "the depiction of violence reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life". There's nothing in the demo that comes anywhere close to that and it seems really kid friendly, so I wanted to ask folks who have played it what are the specific moments in the full game that do and can you describe them without spoilers?

There's some pretty heavy stuff at certain points of the game that I can't really detail without spoiling but death is a major element and there is one section that I would consider much too violent for a 7 year old.

TheOddOne

Did you know that
Oh man, I knew there was more to do and I still walked away.

Dammit.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Finished my first play-through of this one. I think it might be the best downloadable game I've played since Bastion. The demo area doesn't do the game justice, nor does it hint at how unique and dark some of the environments will be. Just a great, atmospheric adventure title that may be the perfect Halloween download for those of you on the fence for now.

Ending spoilers within:

Got used to the controls pretty quick, so the feeling of your brother's absence after that side of the controller goes dead... great design choice. Also, using left trigger to overcome the small brother's fears, the feels!

Giant battleground was twisted fun. Loved the invisibeast section. And the whale dodging. And the "rollercoaster" moments. Appreciate the lack of filler. The game might go by pretty quick, but it was engaging the whole way through.

Got 6 achievements without a guide. A hundred points for dropping a bunny and sheep into coal dust? That seemed a bit extreme for something so easy. Now to find the other 6...

Can't describe them without spoilers but there are some fairly violent and disturbing parts. I think 7yo is probably too young for the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished and...wow, that was really well done. Loved the graphic design and the very smartly made world, having apt moments to pan the camera to show older areas and make it feel like a really big adventure seeing places you've been off in the distance.

As for the rest,
I was actually expecting the final moment with the little brother starting at the rocks to be controlled by the left stick since he used the big brother to get over his shortcomings. Would have been neat, but I still really liked how that half of the controller was just...well, dead either way. Game got surprisingly morbid, but it was fitting.

Not even sure how long it took, but I got 5 of the achievements.
One for the rabbit in the ashes, one for the sheep in the ashes, one for the music box(GREAT moment), one for blowing a giant horn and the last one for giving the giant turtle its kids back.
I feel like the length was perfect, and even though I really didn't like journey last year which I also beat in one sitting this game resonated much better with me. Really hope the thread picks up when it comes out on other platforms as this game is really cool.

Just finished this last night. My god, the art is just stunning. Quite amazed How the games looks more impressive than just about any next gen game ive seen. Hats off to starbreeze. Everything about the game is fantastic.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hope people don't forget to get this on other platforms as it's only on XBLA right now. Maybe he TC should have it update once each respective version hits.

TheOddOne

Beautiful game, some cool puzzles but the stars of the show is the story, characters and world. Very well done, not just for a downloadable game!

Glad to see Summer Of Arcade highlighting this type of game. The best sideeffect of the temporary exclusivity is that people will notice it more when it comes to other platforms.

Hope it does well! Starbreeze, sign me up for the next thing you guys are making :)

Sessler goes nuts over Brothers.

zkrGMdR.png

spekkeh

Banned
Only started playing this tonight, not that far (I think), just became dark.

Man, what a beautiful game

Just finished this last night. My god, the art is just stunning. Quite amazed How the games looks more impressive than just about any next gen game ive seen. Hats off to starbreeze. Everything about the game is fantastic.

Yeah definitely. If next gen would supersample or something so the last jaggies are gone, I'd be fully content :D.

Also have no problem with the controls, not sure what all the complaining in the reviews was about, and I suck at most games.

mr stroke

HOLLY SHIT! :eek:

I was avoiding this game because I hate indie puzzle games, but the GAF hard on everyone had for this, I had to give it a try, and am absolutely blown away.

This game is a masterpiece, the pacing, gameplay, tone, and visuals are all fantastic. The game goes from happy to dark with perfect timing. If it wasn't for the TLOU this would be my GOTY.

sooooooo amazing.

GolazoDan

Im about to rage out which is something I have dine once in 30 yrs of gaming

Just tell me the solution to the troll in the cage bit. This is just outright poor design. Older brother derka derkas at the high platform which I assume is the goal but troll gets you there. She needs a key but little Charlie or whatever stops at the guards door. Tried to see if picking a bone will help him reach it but nothing.

This is just garbage. Sorry, I'm just pissed ha ha
It's probably glitched. See the Giant Bomb Quick Look where the same thing happened.

Im about to rage out which is something I have dine once in 30 yrs of gaming

Just tell me the solution to the troll in the cage bit. This is just outright poor design. Older brother derka derkas at the high platform which I assume is the goal but troll gets you there. She needs a key but little Charlie or whatever stops at the guards door. Tried to see if picking a bone will help him reach it but nothing.

This is just garbage. Sorry, I'm just pissed ha ha

BRL6Td7CUAALQWU.jpg

this one? Starbreeze said they're looking into it.

Grisby

^^^^^^^
You need to reach through the bars to get the key as the little brother, use the interact icon. Also, that part of the game might be glitched. I never got it but it happens to the giant bomb crew. You have to reload the chapter I believe and you can check out their quick look for more info.

I think that's the only 'big' glitch in the game.

spekkeh

Banned
It's interesting how this game latches on to your mind. I started playing Dishonored for the first time quickly after finishing this, and yet the GOTY of many GAFers of last years feels so... trite in comparison. A game by and for gamers only. Brothers though feels like it transcends the medium.

It's interesting how this game latches on to your mind. I started playing Dishonored for the first time quickly after finishing this, and yet the GOTY of many GAFers of last years feels so... trite in comparison. A game by and for gamers only. Brothers though feels like it transcends the medium.
It's the only game I've ever played, that I remember, where (possible actual spoiler ->)
the controls become a significant part of the narrative.

pringles

Just finished it and I'll chime in with what everyone's saying: this is an amazing game. When I heard Josef Fares was working on a videogame I had no idea it would turn out this good. Guess that's what happens when someone with an innovative idea and talent for storytelling teams up with a developer good enough to make that vision happen.

Kudos to Fares and Starbreeze for not padding the game, there were no parts I thought were too long, but a couple that were so brilliant I wished they had lasted longer and gotten even more challenging (
the part where you're connected with the rope was genius
). Beautiful graphics and art, and definitely one of the most touching stories I've yet to experience from a game, and what an achievement considering there's no text and all the voices are a made up language.

My one problem is that for a short and pretty linear game there's a lot of little bugs and glitches.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A little more spoiler tags in some of the posts please. Not that I'm upset.

The game does have voice overs correct?

pmj

Wow, what a ride. And likely tugging extra hard on my Swedish heartstrings with the singing and the environments. It brought up all kinds of childhood memories from my beloved Jämtland.

Just finished my second play through . God this game! Both times glitch free for me.
If someone wants to tell me how to get the two achievements I'm missing with spoilers that would be great. One mentions patience and the other caged love. Thought I've looked everywhere and held down the triggers throughout my second run.

Just finished my second play through . God this game! Both times glitch free for me.
If someone wants to tell me how to get the two achievements I'm missing with spoilers that would be great. One mentions patience and the other caged love. Thought I've looked everywhere and held down the triggers throughout my second run.
Patience: When you first enter the graveyard there's a statue to the right, have the little brother pray at it. Takes about six seconds.

Caged love: Much later after you free the caged bird near the start of the game, look through the telescope right before you get on the hang glider. Check the bottom right of the screen for the bird and wait for the other one to join it.

Patience: When you first enter the graveyard there's a statue to the right, have the little brother pray at it. Takes about six seconds.

Caged love: Much later after you free the caged bird near the start of the game, look through the telescope right before you get on the hang glider. Check the bottom right of the screen for the bird and wait for the other one to join it.
Ah thanks. I needed these two as well.

The other one I missed was something about kids playing close to home, any idea?

Ah thanks. I needed these two as well.

The other one I missed was something about kids playing close to home, any idea?
Right at the very beginning when you're carting your sick father to the house there's a side path you can take, follow it all the way down and skip the stones at the bottom

Fowler

Finished it last night. ADORE this game. Didn't really feel the criticisms about the middle section being boring; thought the game is JUST the right length, nothing overstays its welcome and sticks around too long. A lot of variety.

And wow, how many different reaction animations are there? Each brother seems to do something unique whenever you interact with almost anything in the world.

This game just went really really REALLY dark and disturbing. Made me feel futile (through gameplay). And it was only a side thing.

Goddamn.

Ok, I thought some kids animated movies back in the day would have given me nightmares (Roger Rabbit, Neverending Story, Care Bears movie) but this takes the cake!

I might have to see how my kid cousins react to this game like the spoiler disturbing stuff
(suicide, griffin death, giants blood lakes, using the arm to cut off the leg)

The continuous level design is masterful, the benches are there to basically highlight the great work done by Filip Coulianos, Martin Tegnmemark, and Tommy Johansson. Reminds me of Alan Wake where you could see how far you had come at certain vantage points and how the level was laid out.

Top Bottom