• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Jonm1010

Banned
Bought this game the other day, like it a lot, with one major exception.

Holy fucking dick tits does this game have some annoying bugs!!

I'm on act 7 right now and literally every single checkpoint sequence has had some sort of glitch or bug that has impedded my ability to progress past a room or section and therefore makes me have to start the checkpoint all over.

Plus it's gotten so bad that it seems it sometimes happens two to three times per checkpoint with different glitches. Be it an invisible bad guy that needs to be killed but cant be so the door to the next stage won't open. Or my squad mate disappearing and taking ten minutes to try and open a door. To which he never does so I have to start over. Or a timed sequence that failed to give me the prompt I needed to hop over some debris. Twice! I thought I was doing it wrong until on the third go it prompted me that I could climb over.

Liked it up until the glitches have gotten this bad. They have seemingly got worse as I've progressed through the game. I honestly am losing interest fast. I have kill zone 3 waiting and think I might just call this one quits.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just started a new game of this and I'm running into an issue. On my ATI 5870, the god rays cause slight visual errors alongside the edges of the rays themselves. This did not occur originally when I played it at launch, so I'm wondering if there is a fix out there for this?

Anyone?

Just an FYI to anyone who hasn't played the game:

I bought the game during Gamersgate.com's $12 sale and it easily would have been worth twice that. Three times, even! What a ride. They spared no expense on the single player experience. I thought the skill shots added a lot to the experience by making you think beyond "shoot him in the head". How about you poison him, set him on fire, THEN shoot him in the head (or the ass, even!)? Good stuff... highly recommended.

Duffyside

Banned
Mango Positive said:
Just an FYI to anyone who hasn't played the game:

I bought the game during Gamersgate.com's $12 sale and it easily would have been worth twice that. Three times, even! What a ride. They spared no expense on the single player experience. I thought the skill shots added a lot to the experience by making you think beyond "shoot him in the head". How about you poison him, set him on fire, THEN shoot him in the head (or the ass, even!)? Good stuff... highly recommended.
Would've loved to have known this game was on sale. I'd buy it for 20 bucks.

Though the fact that I don't know what Gamersgate is probably speaks to why I didn't know.

Been playing this again over the last few days, first time around I was on my brothers old 360 while my slim was in repair, save file buggery happened so I had to replay the first few hours which I started, game has really clicked with me now and I like killing with style so I can upgrade and buy ammo, it's like spray and lose out later on which I like.

Stunning looking game on consoles too, you can tell that some of the tech in bulletstorm is like an early test bed for gears 3.

jambo

Diablohead said:
Been playing this again over the last few days

Hah, same. Absolutely loved it all over again. The game is just gloriously fluid and fast. Sliding around unloading the shotgun in to people is bliss, and the skill shot combinations and overcharge shots are still so much fun after all this time.

Can't wait for Bulletstorm 2!

Oh yes I really want a sequel, especially how this game ends on a rather large "what's next?"

I dipped into the online team scoring stuff today and what a fantastic mode, at first I thought the arenas were too small but they are perfect and frantic for team scoring efforts, only annoying thing is players who think you just have to frag the enemy instead of going for skillshots. I love using a burst to float 8 freaks then use the shotgun charge shot to make acid rain, so much SP!

Love this game!

I can't believe they haven't patched a New Game + mode into this game. The idea of playing all the way through again without my favorite weapons is so onerous.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it yesterday and this has to be one of my biggest surprises of the year, if not this gen. Is this game ever great. I was getting a bit tired of traditional shooters (like many I presume), then this game comes along and reminds you how much fun there's to be had with the right weapon and gadget set. This is really one of the games that gives the genre an adrenaline boost and it really needed that. There's nothing quite like thumping a bunch of fools, then flaring/flailing away at the airborne enemies and watching the screen fill up with skillshot pop ups.
At first my natural hoarding instinct made me save up all my points, but then you realize you're not getting nearly enough out of the game. Then I started abusing the thumper and secondary fire modes, which is essentially how to get the most out of the game. I like how there's a limited weapon set, allowing you to get familiar enough with every one.

The environments are also jawdropping at points, with the dam section being one of my favorites. Graphically the game really surprised me, especially in those first chapters.

The only downside and buzz kill in this game is the sniper. I absolutely hate aftertouch, and I groaned when I saw it included here. Haven't used the weapon a lot outside of the semi-forced sections.

I think this is the most 'pure fun' I got out of a game this year, and it may outclass even Portal 2 as my goty so far, it's phenomenal tbh.

Ourobolus

Banned
So this is out for $11.99 on Direct2Drive today, is it worth it? I've heard mixed things. The demo I played for PS3 was interesting, but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more on PC. Thoughts?

Zafir

Ourobolus said:
So this is out for $11.99 on Direct2Drive today, is it worth it? I've heard mixed things. The demo I played for PS3 was interesting, but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more on PC. Thoughts?
Gargh, got my hopes up then. Only the us store it seems. Gutted.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ourobolus said:

This game is an absolute blast. Just get it for the system you prefer. I've been playing the Echoes mode quite a bit lately, which strips the singleplayer to its bare essentials with leaderboards, and that's even more fun than the campaign itself.

At $12 this game is a steal, just get it

Duffyside

Banned
Been looking around to find out what the DLC for this game is — been to Giant Bomb, Wikipedia, and Bulletstorm's wiki, not found anything satisfactory — and instead of getting frustrated by looking longer, figured I'd just ask GAF: what's the DLC for this game? Is it any good?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
duffyside said:
Been looking around to find out what the DLC for this game is — been to Giant Bomb, Wikipedia, and Bulletstorm's wiki, not found anything satisfactory — and instead of getting frustrated by looking longer, figured I'd just ask GAF: what's the DLC for this game? Is it any good?

The Gun Sonata pack is on PSN & Xbox Live for an outrageous $9.99/800MSP. It has 3 maps for Anarchy mode, and 2 maps for Echoes mode.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297876/bulletstorm-gun-sonata-dlc-pack-is-out/

The Blood Symphony was the 2nd (and last) map pack, also $9.99/800MSP. Again, 3 Anarchy maps, 2 Echoes maps.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-8670-Bulletstorm-Blood-Symphony-DLC-Available-Now.html

I would offer my impressions on the content, but Gun Sonata wasn't released on PC, and I think Blood Symphony was but I haven't looked for it yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm about half way through a second playthrough of this game and damn if it isn't still one of the best games this year. The gunplay feels absolutely perfect.

-PXG-

Can someone with the PC version send me screencaps of the user interface? I need images for the menus, UI and such for reference material.

I don't care about the quality, as long as it's at least 720p. I'm most concerned with the main menu, pause menu and Drop Kit menu.

If you have Unreal Tournament 3 as well, I'd like screencaps of the main, match/game setup and pause menus too.

Send me a PM. I really appreciate it.

Duffyside

Banned
Snuggler said:
Thanks for the thorough explanation. If those Echoes maps are just stuff pulled from the campaign, then that's really outrageous. I had big time hopes the Gun Sonata pack would involve some new weapons, which would have been so awesome.

Anyway, I really like this game, and think the Echoes mode is surprisingly good. It's nice that every time you play an Echo, every Skillshot you do is new, no matter how many times you've played the Echo. Part of what kind of sucked about the single player campaign is stopping in your tracks as you try to think "shit, what Skillshot have I already done? What can I do new?" Even worse if I had to literally pull up the menu and look: kills the flow. So satisfying to get 20 or 30 unique Skillshots per Echo.

But, the real reason I'm bumping this thread: I love to get Platinum trophies for games I really really enjoy. It's my way of saying "this game is superb. Get it." Well, Bulletstorm may have hit a brickwall... Red Barrel trophy glitch? Anyone else just not able to get it? No matter how many youtube videos you've seen, or how many times you've restarted the checkpoint...

I've been CERTAIN about 10 times now I got every fucking barrel, and still no trophy. Again, I've watched like three different walkthroughs. It's just not popping.

Dreaver

This game is freaking awesome. I LOVE the action, awesome killshots and the colours/envirements. Really happy I bought it for 15 bucks.

Pikma

Banned
I just finished the game a few days ago, I liked it, but could've been way better. :(

+Skillshots
+Gunplay
+Beutiful enviroments
++ Sarrano is an awesome villain!

-Cliché enemies
-Story
-Technical problems (glitches/bugs)
-The whole experience is pretty inconsistent, there were some greatly fun moments, other not so much.

Dreaver

Finished it 5 minutes ago. Loved it.
Pikma said:
I just finished the game a few days ago, I liked it, but could've been way better. :(

+Skillshots
+Gunplay
+Beutiful enviroments
++ Sarrano is an awesome villain!

-Cliché enemies
-Story
-Technical problems (glitches/bugs)
-The whole experience is pretty inconsistent, there were some greatly fun moments, other not so much.
Yeah, I agree with this.

I must say I LOVED the sound as well in this game. It is such a refreshing shooter.
I do have to add though, after some time the lines of text get pretty dull...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
OK... I'm stuck. I'm playing on hard, and so far the game has been piss easy. I haven't even come close to getting killed.

Until this forced on rails, minigun segment. I have died 20 fucking times, at least. Just can't seem to pass it and it's pissing me off.

Really annoying difficulty spike, especially since it's not really core game stuff, and instead this filler crap.

So many games fuck me over on their "turret" sections on the harder difficulties. I could name a dozen.

And it's weird because I'm not really a bad player. Get me on a turret in BC2 and I'm a beast. But for some reason in these single players games it's always a huge headache. I would play normal, but the games are just too damn easy that way. Ugh.

Evolved1

Tunavi said:
Play the game on Very Hard.

So I have even less health and take more damage on this turret section? That's going to help how exactly?

Duffyside

Banned
Evolved1 said:
OK... I'm stuck. I'm playing on hard, and so far the game has been piss easy. I haven't even come close to getting killed.

Until this forced on rails, minigun segment. I have died 20 fucking times, at least. Just can't seem to pass it and it's pissing me off.

Really annoying difficulty spike, especially since it's not really core game stuff, and instead this filler crap.

So many games fuck me over on their "turret" sections on the harder difficulties. I could name a dozen.

And it's weird because I'm not really a bad player. Get me on a turret in BC2 and I'm a beast. But for some reason in these single players games it's always a huge headache. I would play normal, but the games are just too damn easy that way. Ugh.
Bulletstorm isn't a game about hard encounters and whether you die a bunch or not. It's about using Skillshots. It's about points. It's about fun. There are very few people who would have a difficult time completing the game, if that's all they cared about. That's not why Bulletstorm exists. It exists so you can have fun with some neat weapons and lots of options to kill your enemies.

Don't know what section you're talking about. Does it involve a big monster?

Evolved1

duffyside said:
Bulletstorm isn't a game about hard encounters and whether you die a bunch or not. It's about using Skillshots. It's about points. It's about fun. There are very few people who would have a difficult time completing the game, if that's all they cared about. That's not why Bulletstorm exists. It exists so you can have fun with some neat weapons and lots of options to kill your enemies.

Uh... OK? I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Really helpful replies in this thread.

As for where I am atm... there is no monster. I'm on a train car platform, literally "on rails", firing a minigun at all sorts of things trying to kill me: bug dudes on another car platform, cars chasing me, flying things that are ripping me up. There's just too much to shoot at and I can't really avoid fire... I'm getting killed over and over.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finished the game on Hard. Very easy and even boring levels 1-6 , then boom! sudden difficulty spike for final level.

Overall, a pretty forgettable, shallow experience, would compare to F.E.A.R. 2 or Stranglehold - reasonably enjoyable waste of time.

Some nice writing and vistas, though.

Evolved1 said:
As for where I am atm... there is no monster. I'm on a train car platform, literally "on rails", firing a minigun at all sorts of things trying to kill me: bug dudes on another car platform, cars chasing me, flying things that are ripping me up. There's just too much to shoot at and I can't really avoid fire... I'm getting killed over and over.

I got stuck at this part too.

You have to (1) move around your train car, and (2) shoot the helicopters first. For some reason those dudes seem to cause you the most damage.

aznpxdd

Picked this game up a couple days ago on Steam just because I was bored and heard good things about it. Damn, this game is just plain unadulterated fun. Not to mention the game looks gorgeous too.

Tizoc

My playthrough lasted about 6-7 hours. Still fun though.

Hmm I'm playing on Very Hard which isn't all that bad so I guess mine will be around 10 hours haha.
Might not bother doing skillpoints/shots since I'm fine with killing enemies as is >_<

MMaRsu

Finished the game on Hard. Very easy and even boring levels 1-6 , then boom! sudden difficulty spike for final level.

Overall, a pretty forgettable, shallow experience, would compare to F.E.A.R. 2 or Stranglehold - reasonably enjoyable waste of time.

Some nice writing and vistas, though.
Did you play it like fear3?

scitek

I've been replaying this on PC. Does anyone else have trouble getting triple buffering to work? I'm trying to force it through both RadeonPro and D3DOverrider and it will still drop to 30fps when things get crazy. Straight to 30 from 60, which is a huge amount of input lag on my controller. Practically ruins the game.

Top Bottom