• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Bumblebee" spinoff gains a lead and HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA

mreddie

John Cena has nabbed a lead role in the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.

Hailee Steinfeld is leading the cast of Paramount's new film, which will center on the yellow and black bot Bumblebee. The film will feature a young cast including Jorge Lendeborg, Jason Drucker, Abby Quinn, Rachel Crow, Ricardo Hoyos and Gracie Dzienny.

The story is set in the year 1987, where Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary, yellow VW bug.

Travis Knight, who directed the stop-motion movie Kubo and the Two Strings, is helming the new film from a script by Christina Hodson (Shut In). The movie project is the first spinoff in what the studio hopes will be a Transformers Cinematic Universe that will include prequels and offshoots from a line of movies that have generated more than $3.7 billion worldwide.

EDIT: Forgot link
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-cena-joins-transformers-spinoff-bumblebee-1025411

gettyimages-632489894_-_h_2017.jpg

orochi91

Travis Knight, who directed the stop-motion movie Kubo and the Two Strings, is helming the new film from a script by Christina Hodson (Shut In).
This bit seems more important, to be honest.

smoothj

Don't care for this franchise but I hope Cena does well. Really good dude that deserves more success imo. I don't even watch wrestling lol.

How exactly does the lore in the Transformers franchise work? Because they never really mention Sam Witwicky anymore do they? Wasn't he the first human Bee encountered on earth? This messes with everything right?

Hopeford

I'm happy to see Cena getting good roles in Hollywood. He more than earned some time off given his insane work ethic.

...And now I'm beginning to miss him in wrestling.

jstripes

Banned
How exactly does the lore in the Transformers franchise work? Because they never really mention Sam Witwicky anymore do they? Wasn't he the first human Bee encountered on earth? This messes with everything right?

Bumblebee's brain being scrambled could explain this.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shut In was fucking horrible. But I loved Kubo. So I'm conflicted. This might be the shot in the arm that the franchise needs though.

how does it take place in 1987? don't the autobots land on Earth right before the events of the first movie?

I think Bumblebee was already on Earth when the movie started. Everyone else came later. And I think Bumblebee is the only 'Bot in this one? That may not be confirmed though.

Edit: I saw TLK like a month ago and completely forgot they retconned the Transformers to have been here all along. Wtf

mreddie

John Cena's WWE career is officially

giphy.gif

Which adds irony to his kayfabe feud with The Rock years back

Remember Cena went Hollywood within his first years as the main WWE guy, it's just it hit a wall but then Trainwreck happened and everyone likes him more.

Did I mention he's rumored to be the WWE Champion again post Summerslam?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
how does it take place in 1987? don't the autobots land on Earth right before the events of the first movie?

They've always existed and are an integral part of every major event in human history. The movies just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper.

Sephzilla

Remember Cena went Hollywood within his first years as the main WWE guy, it's just it hit a wall but then Trainwreck happened and everyone likes him more.

Did I mention he's rumored to be the WWE Champion again post Summerslam?

His first couple Hollywood movies were fronted by Vince though, so I'm not sure that counts

Top Bottom