• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles are a way better value proposition than sub services

Three

Concept of backlog makes you rush.
It does? that seems like a weird trait that I'm not understanding and don't have. A list of games I've chosen worthy of time to play and I can play at any time would allow me to take my time and play at whatever pace I choose whereas in a sub I have to play whatever I'm given and when there are good games I'm interested in I would need to rush through what I'm interested in before it leaves the service.

Ozriel

M$FT
Im sorry i misunderstood. I thought you said you have tried gamepass and didn't like it cause you couldn't choose the game.
Game pass is digitally renting games. As in you only have access if you pay monthly.

I also assumed you lived in the US or UK. My apologies. Thats a good point.

To your last 2 points. There is no due date with gamefly game rentals. You can keep the same game for as long as you want. They mail you the game. Also they have budget plans starting at $8.99 a month. Well within what you pay for 1 game.

Its an incredible deal for me as I have no desire to replay a game once beating it. And i have thousands to choose from.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Seems like GameFly’s a really good deal for you if you can get most of the games you want around their launch period.

It does? that seems like a weird trait that I'm not understanding and don't have. A list of games I've chosen worthy of time to play and I can play at any time would allow me to take my time and play at whatever pace I choose whereas in a sub I have to play whatever I'm given and when there are good games I'm interested in I would need to rush through what I'm interested in before it leaves the service.
Do you have a backlog or not?

How many games do you own that you haven’t finished? Is this number under 10?

Three

Do you have a backlog or not?

How many games do you own that you haven’t finished? Is this number under 10?
Who doesn't? I probably have something in the 100s. Doesn't make me rush through anything because I know they're always there and I can choose the cream of the crop of my own games that I've already shown an interest in whenever I have time to play.

Mr.Phoenix

I disagree. This is only true if you are interested in playing very old games/classics. Subs on the other hand, will at least give you games that are on average 12-36 months old. Deals on other games and times, even new games. I feel this is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I honestly do not get what the issue with subs are, the only time I have an issue with subs is when EVERYONE (and by that, I mean even publishers get in on it) try and have their own sub-service, then you end up in this messed up place where to get a complete experience you have to sub to like 5 different services. At that point, you might as well just stick to buying what you want to play.

I have only TWO subs in my life, and the second one is even only done one around the Christmas/deals season. PS+ Extra and Amazon Prime (fall season). I am not even subbed to Netflix. Killed that off when Disney and co pulled their own content off the service.

Who doesn't? I probably have something in the 100s. Doesn't make me rush through anything because I know they're always there and I can choose the cream of the crop of my own games that I've already shown an interest in whenever I have time to play.
I have moved away from this.

My total number of games owned- unfinished, they always fit on 1 TB SSD I have.

I think this has been massive improvement over when I used to have a massive backlog.

GHG

Gold Member
Concept of backlog makes you rush.

The opposite actually, which is why backlogs exist in the first place. There is zero pressure to complete anything within a certain time frame.

You sound just as I'd expect, with these statements:

Anything you own, its backlog. A dreadful thing.

A corporate bootlicker pushing for people to own nothing which in turn forces them to subscribe to some crappy service for the rest of their lives in order to maintain access.

The opposite actually, which is why backlogs exist in the first place. There is zero pressure to complete anything within a certain time frame.
Incorrect.

Backlogs exist because Youtube/corporate shills are doing their job. Of hyping you up into buying games that you don’t have time for.

A corporate bootlicker pushing for people to own nothing which in turn forces them to subscribe to some crappy service for the rest of their lives in order to maintain access.
Sounds like you are falling for it.

You need to be smarter than this to see corporate manipulation.

Three

Incorrect.

Backlogs exist because Youtube/corporate shills are doing their job. Of hyping you up into buying games that you don’t have time for.
I choose to buy those games not succumb to paying for something continuously to risk losing access. If you don't get time to play a certain amount every month or forget to cancel on a sub you're paying for things that you don't even use and they take it straight out of your bank account without even needing to reconfirm.

Last edited:
I choose to buy those games not succumb to paying for something continuously to risk losing access. If you don't get time to play a certain amount every month or forget to cancel on a sub you're paying for things that you don't even use and they take it straight out of your bank account without even needing to reconfirm.
Its expensive now.

You will remember to cancel it.

GHG

Gold Member
Incorrect.

I only buy what I want to play and I only redeem codes from bundles for games that I deem interesting enough to play.

This is a thread about bundles, where people are discussing getting permanent ownership of games for dirt cheap (average price per game $1-2). You've come here trying to tell people that it's somehow a bad thing and that rental subscriptions are better? You're not kidding anyone.

You literally spend your whole time here behaving like some used car salesman regurgitating whatever the big corpo message is at any given time, give me a break.

You literally spend your whole time here behaving like some used car salesman regurgitating whatever the big corpo message is at any given time, give me a break.
Ah yes. Resident shill expert, Anti Shill Defence Force reporting for duty. What would gullible gaffers do without your intervention.

Be honest, do you get nightmares of Senjutsu sage converting everyone to Xbox side??

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Backlog is a dreadful thing

you%27ll-own-nothing-and-you%27ll-be-happy-world-economic-forum.gif

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
The first Humble Bundles were legendary imho and really opened my eyes to indie games. Still play Hammerfight every once in a while, there's nothing like it.

Guilty_AI

I mean, being interested in 1 in every 10 games that Epic provides to own completely free of charge still seems pretty amazing to me.
Not when you look closely and realize pretty much all of said games can be bought for super cheap or were on giveaways before.

Guilty_AI

That answer is a really good way, to be seen as a real AI... utter nonsense :messenger_grinning_squinting:
There is such a thing as convenience fee you know. People won't mind paying something like 3 dollars more to eat in a place that has better service even if the food is exactly same. The price these games go by are low enough that they can be treated as such.

Last edited:

drganon

Incorrect.

a0266c731b3a77f1e4ca8be6639949f5.gif

FewRope

Fanatical has some crazy ass Bundles for real and Humble Choice is usually really solid, fuck Gamepass and every single sub service

Guilty_AI

Who bitches about free games? Just reeks of entitlement to me.
I'm not "bitching", just pointing out that in the end there isn't really that much value to their giveaways. Honestly, if someone is so hellbent on not paying a single dollar, they could just as well play nothing but freewares for the rest of their gaming days. Plenty of quality stuff in that segment.

Not to mention freebies like on Epic Store. Who needs Gamepass when it was never easier to get yourself ridiculously cheap and/or free games everywhere else?

Top Bottom