• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 2 GC >>>>>>>>>Burnout 3 PS2/XB

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh, who allowed EA to release such crap, everything burnout 3 does, BO2 does it much better and with style, minus the online feature.

Burnout 3 on the GC would probably have looked and played better on the GC too.

pilonv1

crack_pipe4.jpg

Not saying I totally agree, but...Burnout 2 was best on XBOX...

I miss the old color-pallete, the superior crash mode design, an option for replays, and the feeling of achieving multiple Burnouts (a very fun challenge). Otherwise, BO3 is a different game, for the most part. I like it pretty much equally.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MightyHedgehog said:

I miss the old color-pallete, the superior crash mode design, an option for replays, and the feeling of achieving multiple Burnouts (a very fun challenge). Otherwise, BO3 is a different game, for the most part. I like it pretty much equally.

Yeah, I don't know where the whole "Burnout 2 GC" thing came from either...

I actually prefer the new color palette, though. It reminds me of a Model 3 game (with a much higher level of detail) for some reason. It is starting to look closer to an arcade game...

The game is VERY different, though. I prefer Burnout 3 by a longshot, though. Crash mode is also vastly superior in BO3...

dark10x

Drexon said:
Is online fun.. when it works? Hard to take down any1?

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I play online more than I do offline. It's just more fun to do a quick online race of a quick single player race. The actual racing becomes MUCH more exciting.

Taking people down is not hard at all. In most cases, the other cars are drawn very smoothly and do not skip around. Collisions with other cars work beautifully...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Burnout 1 was great. Lots of traffic, and tight controls, so lots of weaving in and out. That was lost in BO2, which had less traffic, wider tracks and fuzzier controls. All that because of the (over)emphasis on boost, and insane speeds. Spoilt the game IMO.

BO3 maintains some of the fuzzy controls and wide tracks and less traffic, but redeems itself because of more controllable speed, and the emphasis on combat, which is done really really well.

So BO1 = BO3, but for different reasons. BO2 is way down the list (well, 3rd)

ninge

I loved BO1 and BO2 but to say either of them is better than BO3 just baffles me.. sure the turbo is much cheaper than before - you don't really have to earn it and once you've got it letting go doesn't lose it like it used to and the whole multiple burnouts thing is gone.. but come on, the game reeks of polish has crash modes out the wazzo and plays beautifully! Takedowns add so much to the game too - and the aftertouch on crashes is just a wonderful addition.. bring on BO4. Haterz be damned.

Seth C

MightyHedgehog said:

Yeah, I really miss the Burnout multiplier. I think they forgot that the last game was about NOT crashing (except in the crash mode). Now the whole game is about crashing. Burnout 2 just seemed much more skill based throughout. All the little icons you can collect in the crash races are just another example.

I won't even touch on that fucking awful annoying DJ.

Grubdog

Banned
norinrad21 said:
ugh, who allowed EA to release such crap, everything burnout 3 does, BO2 does it much better and with style, minus the online feature.

You're crazy.

I wanted Burnout 3 on GC as much as the next person, but hey, I got it on PS2, and it's incredible. I love Burnout 2, but Burnout 3 is just so much better, i'll never get sick of road rage. Although crash mode is boring in both Burnout 2 and 3. :)

EDIT: You can turn the DJ off, and after the first five minutes of the game you'll never hear him again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dark1x said:
I actually prefer the new color palette, though. It reminds me of a Model 3 game (with a much higher level of detail) for some reason. It is starting to look closer to an arcade game...
Interestingly enough - BO3 renders a very dark image as source, and then applies brightnes&contrast filter to get the final result. The source art itself is actually not that contrasty. :p
But anyway, personally I thought BO2 (and 1 for that matter) had much less style to their backgrounds and just looked bland there(compared to games in general, not just B3). BO3 does a nicer job there.
The only thing I like less are the PS2 version's sparks.

Seth C

Grubdog said:
You're crazy.

I wanted Burnout 3 on GC as much as the next person, but hey, I got it on PS2, and it's incredible. I love Burnout 2, but Burnout 3 is just so much better, i'll never get sick of road rage. Although crash mode is boring in both Burnout 2 and 3. :)

EDIT: You can turn the DJ off, and after the first five minutes of the game you'll never hear him again.

I personally loved crash mode in Burnout 2. B3 made it much more gimmicky. Road Rage, however, is excellent. I love it.

As for the DJ, yes, I turned him off. Still, the few races I had him on have annoyed me so much I'll hate him forever.

dark10x

Seth C said:
I personally loved crash mode in Burnout 2. B3 made it much more gimmicky. Road Rage, however, is excellent. I love it.

As for the DJ, yes, I turned him off. Still, the few races I had him on have annoyed me so much I'll hate him forever.

Gimmicky? I honestly feel that BO3 simply added MUCH more depth to it. Previously, you would just slam your car into a group and hope for the best...but here, the gameplay becomes more strategic and interesting.

Grubdog

Banned
Seth C said:

Yeah I can understand how if you liked crash mode originally you'd be put off by crash mode in Burnout 3, the fact that you can get gold in any of them just by getting a 4x multiplier cheapens the experience.

dark10x

Grubdog said:
Yeah I can understand how if you liked crash mode originally you'd be put off by crash mode in Burnout 3, the fact that you can get gold in any of them just by getting a 4x multiplier cheapens the experience.

Well, to be fair, I was playing this with a friend of mine (trading controllers in single player mode) and we were having a blast shooting for incredibly high scores. It may be easy to pass each stage, but aiming for top scores is not.

Shompola

Banned
Burnout 2's only good stuff are how custom music is handled and sense of speed. Other than that it's one of the most overrated racers this gen IMO. NOt played the 3rd one in the series yet.

They are both great, but I do feel that BO2's Burnout system was much tighter and provided better challenge.

BO3 has been made so accessible, which is generally a great thing, that everybody is burning about four seconds after the start. Burning is that much less special.

Everything else about BO3 I love, though, great sense of speed and presentation.

Seth C

dark10x said:
Gimmicky? I honestly feel that BO3 simply added MUCH more depth to it. Previously, you would just slam your car into a group and hope for the best...but here, the gameplay becomes more strategic and interesting.

Getting all golds in Burnout 2 was very strategic. It wasn't as if the traffic patterns were random. It was like figuring out the solution to a puzzle. Once you knew where and when to hit, you could get results time and time again. Sometimes it took a while to figure out the strategy for a stage, and that was the chellenge. In Burnout 3 it is completely mindless. The crash gameplay consists entirely of grabbing the 4X multiplier. Once you get that, you're pretty much done.

Burnout 2 is just more "zen" throughout. For the reasons above in crash mode to the burnout chaining in the regular races. Racing around the airport tracks piling up burnouts made you feel like you'd actually accomplished something, and if you could race at those speeds without crashing you'd be rewarded by completely slaughtering the AI. Burnout 3 is completely different. The enemy AI is programmed to "catch up" no matter how long you're using turbo without a crash. As soon as the turbo runs out you'll have someone on top of you. Now the gameplay just involves waiting for them to come up behind you, crashing them, waiting, crashing them, etc. Repeat until the end of the race.

I'm sure not many will agree with me, but oh well. That's my take.

Razoric

Banned
norinrad21 said:

LOL is this a joke?

First, of all, you're on crack.

Second of all, I'll agree about the crash mode. Getting a gold in BO2 was much tougher and it required figuring out exactly which vehicle to hit where and when. Now, it's almost mindless, but it does look much better.

Finally, the thing that bugs me alot and it seem to have been more in BO2 & BO3, is that you can just hang out on the curb where there is no traffic and get golds most of the time. You'd think scraping the sides or running off of the asphalt would slow you down alot, but it doesn't hurt you much at all. At least in BO3, they've made some of the sides suddenly meet a wall or corner that if you hit, you're toast, but still not often enough to discourage using the sides.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Seth C said:
Getting all golds in Burnout 2 was very strategic. It wasn't as if the traffic patterns were random. It was like figuring out the solution to a puzzle. Once you knew where and when to hit, you could get results time and time again. Sometimes it took a while to figure out the strategy for a stage, and that was the chellenge. In Burnout 3 it is completely mindless. The crash gameplay consists entirely of grabbing the 4X multiplier. Once you get that, you're pretty much done.

Burnout 2 is just more "zen" throughout. For the reasons above in crash mode to the burnout chaining in the regular races. Racing around the airport tracks piling up burnouts made you feel like you'd actually accomplished something, and if you could race at those speeds without crashing you'd be rewarded by completely slaughtering the AI. Burnout 3 is completely different. The enemy AI is programmed to "catch up" no matter how long you're using turbo without a crash. As soon as the turbo runs out you'll have someone on top of you. Now the gameplay just involves waiting for them to come up behind you, crashing them, waiting, crashing them, etc. Repeat until the end of the race.

I totally agree with that post (ITAWTP). Seriously the IA in Burnout 3 is totally wrong, especially in duel.

impirius

Seth C said:
My thoughts exactly. That's what kept me from picking BO3 up.

kiryogi

Banned
I wouldn't say BO2 GC, but BO2 in general was a much better game. (And whats with the lack of music in multiplayer? Or was that a PS2 BO3 issue only?) The new emphasis on crashing and all that was just not my style. Though I enjoyed driving like a maniac, there was none of this "Takedown" nonsense while I race through the courses. (However, it was a neat feature but just really didn't interest me any)

mrklaw said:
Burnout 1 was great. Lots of traffic, and tight controls, so lots of weaving in and out. That was lost in BO2, which had less traffic, wider tracks and fuzzier controls. All that because of the (over)emphasis on boost, and insane speeds. Spoilt the game IMO.

BO3 maintains some of the fuzzy controls and wide tracks and less traffic, but redeems itself because of more controllable speed, and the emphasis on combat, which is done really really well.

So BO1 = BO3, but for different reasons. BO2 is way down the list (well, 3rd)

IAWTP. I talked about similar things in the Official Burnout 3 topic. I really miss the tough weaving tracks and heavy traffic of the first game. If you watched the video interview with Fran from IGN and Alex Ward he mentions that Crietrion are really proud of Burnout 1 but it just wasn't accessible enough to the masses. He feels they "failed" in a way because of it.

I honestly thought Burnout 2 was really watered down after playing the first game to death. Less traffic, constant boost, easily gained boost, more forgiving (can't crash as easily), no crash replays and no survival mode!! I actually did enjoy the aspect of chaining insane amounts of burnouts together. Burnout 2 is actually really different to Burnout 1

And Burnout 3 is actually very different from Burnout 2. It does take the best aspects of Burnout 1 and 2 though. It's got more interesting and harder track design (still not as hard as first game), less emphasis on boost, harder to get boost, and the crashes are simple superb. Add in the awesome takedown aspect and it's really great game.

The great thing about the Burnout series unlike say the Tony Hawk series or Madden is that each iteration has been substantially DIFFERENT. It's worth owning all the games because they all focus on diiferent things and play differently enough.

Seth C said:

I agree that the crash mode sucks in Burnout 3. It SHOULD be better then Burnout 2's especially with the addition of the crash braker and aftertouch but the completely random traffic and x4 multiplayer really spoil it. Looks fantastic though.

As for the racing in Burnout 2 compared to Burnout 3... well like I mentioned in my above post, the two games have different focuses. Burnout 2 is about insane speed and perfect driving whereas Burnout 3 has slightly less emphasis on speed and focuses heavily on battling and takedowns so you always have A.I. cars on your arse making life hard for you. I like both games. After I finish Burnout 3 it'll be interesting to see which game I ulimately like the most..

Seth C

Wait, Burnout 3 has HARDER to get boost? Are you on crack? Wreck a car and the bar is maxed out. Get in a wreck? No big deal, you can keep most of your boost. Nevermind that boost is ONLY good for wrecking cars anyway, because someone didn't want to program real AI. "Just don't let the player look behind his car, he'll never figure out that we're just making the next car jump right up behind him." Wreck your rival car and then use boost for the next 15 seconds. What good will all that do you? You might have a 1 second lead. Pathetic. Program some real AI, Criterion.

dark10x

Fafalada said:
Er... huh?
The traffic always moves exactly the same way - there's nothing random about it at all.

I was also about the comment on this...

The traffic is most certainly NOT random.

dark10x said:
Crash mode is also vastly superior in BO3...
No.

I will repost my thoughts on BO3's Crash mode from another thread:

panopticblue said:
In Crash, the goal is to cause the biggest wrecks you can for fat cash, this mode is fun, but was actually implemented much better in Burnout 2. Why you ask? Well, for reasons unknown, Criterion decided that they would add Cash-Bonus and Multiplier powerups to Crash mode. Guess what? They totally kill the game. There are a ton (100 I think) crash events in the career mode you must go through. I managed to get GOLDS in every last one of them in my first 2 or 3 tries each.
Wanna know how? Well it's simple, I just aimed for that BIG FAT GREEN 4X MULTIPLIER present in every crash level, helped immensely by the fact that you can steer your car through the air (the random element of flying haplessly through the air is gone) and bingo, instant gold. So, as you can see, the awesome Crash mode from Burnout 2 has been reduced to "who can get the 4x multiplier" instead of actually trying cause an awesome crash. F'n weak.

Crash mode in Burnout 2 required actual skill.

dark10x

-shrug-

I haven't played it alone yet, but with friends around, I'm finding BO3's crash mode to be significantly more fun. You arguments make sense, but while BO2 may require more skill, it just isn't as much fun to play.

I guess for the single player mode, it might be a problem, but when you are playing through it and aiming more for the highest scores instead of just "finishing the event", it's a blast.

Honestly, in general, Burnout 2 felt like an empty shell of a game to me. Most people seem to disagree, but it just didn't feel right. BO3 came much closer to reaching the "arcade feel" (though it still falls short).

The online play in BO3 adds so much that other unfortunate design decisions hardly matter at all.

BTW. Proper BO3 etiquette is too say "Fuck, I crashed" whenever you wreck your car, so that your team understands that your have crashed. That's everytime someone crashes. It's just polite. "Shit, I wrecked" is not acceptable.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I absolutely agree with everything Seth's been saying. The AI and 4x multiplayer really damage their respective modes.

Someone else mentioned something about BO3 being incredibly polished. I would disagree with this statement. There are numerous things I've come across that have left me scratching my head.

As someone else mentioned, what happened to the replays? Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead watching a replay in a racing game but BO3 is completely based around spectacular crashes. Why am I unable to see these crashes after they've happened?

Other than this, there are numerous options that don't exist that should. For instance, why am I unable to quit a race? Why am I only able to restart or resume? This just makes no sense.

The soundtrack options also leave a lot to be desired. Aside from having to switch from the default soundtrack every time I start the game, I've also run into a problem with lockups. For some reason that I'm unable to determine, the game will lock up if I use a particular soundtrack. I'll enter a race, no sound will be present. I'll finish the race, and it will stall at the loading screen.

Speaking of loading, that's another avenue that really could've been improved. I mean, there are a ton of loading screens between menus and the races. I'm playing the game off my XBox hd and it stil gets on my nerves.

For all these reasons and others mentioned by people in this thread, I too think BO2 is the superior game.

dark10x

Why am I unable to see these crashes after they've happened?

Replays are available in crash mode, I know that much. I don't remember seeing them in normal races, but I never bothered to try it...

Minotauro said:
Other than this, there are numerous options that don't exist that should. For instance, why am I unable to quit a race? Why am I only able to restart or resume? This just makes no sense.

For the record, I've played all 3 Burnouts and I think they've gotten better with each game, Burnout 3 being the ultimate game of the series.

As for your comment above, doesn't the "Driver Details" option in the pause menu kick you back to the event menu?

Also, for those saying the multipliers ruin Crash Mode, while I agree that the presence of multipliers does make it simpler to rack up high damage amounts, it's not always the be-all-end-all best possible crash scenario. Case in point: I had done a pretty good sized crash and after my crashbreaker managed to scoop up the x2 multiplier. I figured I had won easily ($400k+). But, a guy beat me, without using the multiplier, by aiming for dead center on a tanker truck. The ensuing explosion and his well-time crashbreaker afterwards nailed many more cars and more than made up for the multiplier (he had $500k+ as his final score).

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
DJ Demon J said:
As for your comment above, doesn't the "Driver Details" option in the pause menu kick you back to the event menu?

Hm, I don't know. Can anyone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom