• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 for Xbox doesn't support the memory card again? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Teddman

It's a great game and all, but I'm sorry:

THIS IS GARBAGE FOR WHICH THERE CAN BE NO EXCUSE.

Some of you might remember my rant about Burnout 2 for Xbox not supporting the memory card back in April (posted here on the old GA forum too). Then Criterion goes and does it again with Burnout 3... WTF? This makes it impossible to transfer game saves.

In a game with so many unlockables and modes of play, why don't they provide for the possibility that people might want to actually continue their progress at a friend's house? Maybe play the game at work? You know, do something besides playing it exclusively on one console for the entire life of the game?

I have a few friends that really dig the Burnout series and we love to take turns tag-teaming the different modes, but now whenever we unlock something on one Xbox or another, I have to do it all over again on my own machine. This is what pissed me off about Burnout 2... I had played so much of it at a buddy's place that it made no sense for me to even continue playing the game at my house.

What kind of justification is there for this beside sheer laziness on the part of Criterion... ?

Don't tell me that it might be possible for someone to fudge with the online leaderboards by copying a save or whatever. Who cares about those anyway. All they'd need is to give an option to either participate in online leaderboards or use the memory card when I start a new game, and I'd gladly choose the latter. It's that simple.

I had a long talk with a couple Criterion reps about this at E3 too, telling them how much of a pain it was that Burnout 2 didn't work with the memory card, and how the addition of this option would be much appreciated by fans in the sequel. They agreed and said, "We're working on that this time."

They didn't work on it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i thought it was possible to transfer any save game to a Mem card from within the XBox interface anyways?

Teddman

Unfortunately, it's not. It either is not supported or was intentionally disabled. :(

The only option is "Delete."

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I played BO3 all last night on my, ahem, "special" xbox...
i'm gonna have to start all over again on my online xbox (my home internet is disconnected at the moment)

f***************wat.

Stryder

Oh god, I've been playing this game on my G/F's brothers Xbox banking on being able to transfer it via the memory card.

That's just great.

edit: Just thought I'd add, that you can't use xbox saves manager to FTP in and retrieve the data from the E drive and upload it to another xbox either, I've tried this and it doesn't work. :(

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
I feel your pain. Not allowing for copying of save files to a memory card sucks major ass. I mean, what's the freakin' point!???? To keep the file exclusive to the system and to keep the file "in-check"? Utter bullshit. All this does is cause inconvenience for the gamer.....the threat of losing the file if the Xbox dies, lugging around the system to another house to continue the game, etc. etc.

I don't care what the developer's excuse is. JUST ALLOW THE FILE TO COPIED GEEZUS!!!

Stryder said:
Oh god, I've been playing this game on my G/F's brothers Xbox banking on being able to transfer it via the memory card.

That's just great.

edit: Just thought I'd add, that you can't use xbox saves manager to FTP in and retrieve the data from the E drive and upload it to another xbox either, I've tried this and it doesn't work. :(
yeah, the gamesave has to be re-signed for it to work... of course, that would require the re-sign info, which isn't out...

Meier

I've never understood why some games pull this stuff. It made moderate sense in F-Zero due to the arcade unlocking.. but even then, it was totally unnecessary.

pilonv1

I had this issue with KOTOR. 1600 block save on one modded Xbox, couldn't be moved to a virgin one to use the Xbox live upgrade. It was the same with Full Spectrum Warrior (I ended up doing the training 3 times). It's pathetic.

ChrisReid

Hmm. I always figured it was intentional so you don't copy all your unlocked crazy cars onto a friend's system so he can use them on live without working for them first. Guess it sucks if you have another reason to move the data.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
No doubt Criterion attempted to resolve this issue from Burnout 2, but I bet EA stopped them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Flynn said:
I did the same thing with KOTOR. Pretty lame.

Surely you understand the reasoning in that case, right?

The save file for KOTOR was larger than an entire XBOX memory card...so there was no possible way you could transfer it using that method. It was simply locked down for that reason...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
same with mashed. Great multiplayer game, but you have to unlock in single player. So I played a lot at home to unlock tracks to play at work. But can't copy across.

Stupid IMO. Lets hope MS don't have a hard disk in the next one, so this won't be an issue.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The lack of standardization around memory cards across systems is disturbing. I always love when a PS2 game won't even bother to acknowledge that there's a second memory card slot on the system.

ElyrionX

Agreed. Its ridiculous. Thats probably the whole downside of having a goddamn harddisk on the console. Developers turn into lazy asses......

At least this isn't as ridiculous as F-Zero GX. In F-Zero GX, there is no way to copy the file from one memory card to another.......

shuri

Banned
It's to prevent easy trading of saved games with everything unlocked. I dont really want to play against 5 other people with F1 cars

goodcow

Dreamcast still has the best memory card system there is. The only thing it needed was a MOVE option like Gamecube.

Teddman

shuri said:
It's to prevent easy trading of saved games with everything unlocked. I dont really want to play against 5 other people with F1 cars
Well, like I said, then just give an option of using the saved game online or not. Anyway, online racing should be based on skill IMO. Criterion could have sidestepped the online issue even further by letting everyone use whatever car they want by default, and have an option to adjust an allowed cars list when you setup the online game.

This is probably going to end up a deal-breaker for me, ironically enough. It's not a small aspect of the game at all in terms of how I play Burnout... I just don't have enough time to repeat what I unlock at work and friends' places at home all over again. My buddy has the game and we play it often at work on his Xbox.

I may just end up returning the unopened copy that I bought yesterday.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Teddman said:
This is probably going to end up a deal-breaker for me, ironically enough. It's not a small aspect of the game at all in terms of how I play Burnout... I just don't have enough time to repeat what I unlock at work and friends' places at home all over again. My buddy has the game and we play it often at work on his Xbox.

I may just end up returning the unopened copy that I bought yesterday.

LOL. A dealbreaker? I've never heard of anyone not opening a game just because they cannot transfer saves to another console. If you're not opening the game, I'm assuming you weren't that interested in the first place.

Memory card support is not THAT big a deal in the grand scheme of things. It takes a lot of time for the developer and QA to hammer out the different memory card messages and make sure they are compliant to Xbox standards. It is much easier to not support memory cards and spend that saved time polishing the game in other areas. However, I wish developers would at least allow you the option to copy the save from the dashboard without officially 'supporting' the memory card.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Eggo said:
LOL. A dealbreaker? I've never heard of anyone not opening a game just because they cannot transfer saves to another console. If you're not opening the game, I'm assuming you weren't that interested in the first place.

Did you even bother reading his post? It was filled with nifty things, like valid reasons why this is an issue for him.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm just amazed that there's no work around for this... Espcially w/ a modded XBOX.

Publishers, or even Sony/M$ themselves should not allow this IMO.

AirBrian

ElyrionX said:
Agreed. Its ridiculous. Thats probably the whole downside of having a goddamn harddisk on the console. Developers turn into lazy asses......

At least this isn't as ridiculous as F-Zero GX. In F-Zero GX, there is no way to copy the file from one memory card to another.......
Same thing in MK: DA. :|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
goodcow said:
Dreamcast still has the best memory card system there is. The only thing it needed was a MOVE option like Gamecube.

Yeah, that worked beautifully...

Shame the actual VMUs were SOOOOOO small. :(

cja

Wouldn' the Max Drive get around this problem? Still pretty ridiculous, the Xbox version is a hack job. Can't believe they've fucked up rumble support, I see the loading screen 3 times when retrying some crash mode levels, a split-second it may be but that just shows its a sloppy port of the PS2 version even more.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IIRC you can get around this problem using a trainer (and then get hacked 100% unlocked saves if you want), but you need a modded Xbox...

My complaint about Burnout 3 is the complete lack of system link play....we were looking forward to playing 4-6 players linked last weekend, and now to play multiplayer, we can play 3 player races since only three of us have XBL. :\

I really hope Outrun 2 has system link play, and memory card support too. :) I'll be getting rid of Burnout 3 when it comes out anyway.

cja

It doesn't work, not on the PAL version. Once every hour or two I get a slight rumble, but it's obviously bust. Are you going to tell me it works fine on NTSC copies? :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
cja said:
Wouldn' the Max Drive get around this problem? Still pretty ridiculous, the Xbox version is a hack job. Can't believe they've fucked up rumble support,

Hack job? That's a bit extreme. The game runs fine, it looks identical across platforms, and - knock on wood - doesn't have any glitches.

But I'm thankful that you brought up the rumble issues, because I thought I got a dud controller with my XBox. (BO3 is my first game for the system.)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
yeah it sucked for me too. i had to review it on a debug which i had at work... to play it at home, i had to lug the debug xbox home every night. you know how much those fucking things weigh??

ge-man

Xbox memory cards have become a big waste unfortunately. God, there are so many games that I would like to at least backup that I can't because developers refuse to support memory cards.

I'm justing waiting for the day when the harddrive fails or if I have to send in my Xbox for repairs.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ecrofirt said:
Hmm.... That's odd.

My controller rumbles when I play. I wonder what the problem is.

Well, I'm not saying mine never rumbles. But it's not terribly noticeable either. It comes, goes, and just generally "breathes" more than rumbles.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Does the XBOX version rumble or not? Is the rumble any good?

Seems like Konami and Polyphony Digital are the rumble masters on the PS2. Most games have sub par rumble IMO anyway, especially on the XBOX.

Ecrofirt

I haven't played the game in a day or two.

I'm pretty sure it rumbles when I boost and stuff though.

Bah, now you've got me wanting to try it out so I can remember. Damn you.

maskrider

Yeah, I am always complaining about that, many games are HDD only, my memory card is totally wasted. How stupid is that !!!

cja

xsarien said:
Hack job? That's a bit extreme. The game runs fine, it looks identical across platforms, and - knock on wood - doesn't have any glitches.

But I'm thankful that you brought up the rumble issues, because I thought I got a dud controller with my XBox. (BO3 is my first game for the system.)
Okay, hack job is ott. Just so frustrating that such a freakishly compelling arcade racer has all these little problems that could easily have been solved.

xsarien

daedsiluap
cja said:
Okay, hack job is ott. Just so frustrating that such a freakishly compelling arcade racer has all these little problems that could easily have been solved.

What problems? The memory card issue isn't a big deal for me, and fuck me, I hate controller rumbling anyway; it's the last piece of the early 90s' obsession with VR that SIMPLY WON'T DIE. I turn it off whenver I can. The game is built in RenderWare. By it's very nature, it should be pretty much identical to every other version available.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
maskrider said:
Yeah, I am always complaining about that, many games are HDD only, my memory card is totally wasted. How stupid is that !!!

Why not use Xbox Saves Manager and transfer saves to your PC? You don'r even have to have a modded Xbox, but if you don't, you'll have to buy a Mega X-Key device for transferring, and IIRC they dn't cost too much money.

maskrider

Lyte Edge said:
Why not use Xbox Saves Manager and transfer saves to your PC? You don'r even have to have a modded Xbox, but if you don't, you'll have to buy a Mega X-Key device for transferring, and IIRC they dn't cost too much money.

I have my X-BOX modded (only for backup saves and playing import), and transferring to PC is a way to save my games, but some games have to be signed by that only X-BOX and not loadable on any other X-BOX (the problem is I play those games). You get the scenario ?

Flynn

dark10x said:
Surely you understand the reasoning in that case, right?

The save file for KOTOR was larger than an entire XBOX memory card...so there was no possible way you could transfer it using that method. It was simply locked down for that reason...

Yep, but I didn't come to that understanding until after I hoped to transfer the file for my first 4 or 5 hours of play from my friend's Xbox to my own. Not a fun realization.

Top Bottom