• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
WTS

4 x Valiant Hearts Steam gifts

Looking for:

9$ Paypal

or any of these Steam gifts/keys:

Kentucky Route Zero
Child of Light
Resident Evil 4 HD
Resident Evil Revelations
The Banner Saga

WTS: Valiant Hearts: The Great War™( only 8 copies )
Type: Steam Gift
Payment: PayPal
Price: 10$

Feel free to add me on steam!
https://steamcommunity.com/id/farfix69
3783720-lol.gif

Necrovex

However, if the code are valid and working properly, they make you save 5 to 6$. How are they ripping off people?

They're utilizing capitalism to its very fullest! I'm happy that I saved a few bucks on the game.

Positive feedback for KiDdYoNe. Transaction was quick and easy. Would buy from again.

Thread rule number 3... (Not trying to be an asshole)

3. No need to whine

Everyone involved is just either looking to buy, sell, or trade something. If someone wants a certain amount of money for something, whether it is worth that amount of money will be determined by the people willing to pay for it. There's no need to guilt people for selling things they got for free, or making a big fuss out of perceived overcharging. It's a free market.

Istaerion

However, if the code are valid and working properly, they make you save 5 to 6$. How are they ripping off people?

It's not necessarily a case of being ripped off as the price error is no longer in effect, however, selling off the keys for extremely marked up prices compared to their original expense to a community such as this is, in my opinion, pretty poor taste.

I don't want to say for sure, but it's also possible you can nab it for cheaper than their listing using the same method they used to acquire the game(s).

Defunkled

Accepting PayPal Gift payments, or add +4% for invoice. +4 seller on here; waiting on KoreanBBQ to update the stats lol.

BMeDMQx.jpg

CwVbOwP.jpg

$25 shipped each, $45 shipped for both.

6AooSYC.jpg

r9YP1fs.jpg

RJ8jIdH.jpg

$50 shipped for whole poster set. - SOLD

QPUgChv.jpg

Yakuza 2 (Complete in Box) - $50 shipped
Saturn Bomberman (Case Only) - $60 shipped
Sonic CD (CiB) - $18 shipped
Street Fighter Alpha Saturn (CiB) - $20 shipped
JSRF Soundtrack (Brand new in shrink) - $18 shipped

10368256_10100293883606953_2820162104438854970_n.jpg

VNDS 2013 Jordan V Grape Size 9.5 - $175 shipped
VNDS 2013 Jordan V Fire Red Size 9.5 - SOLD

Willing to field all offers!

PM sent.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's not necessarily a case of being ripped off as the price error is no longer in effect, however, selling off the keys for extremely marked up prices compared to their original expense to a community such as this is, in my opinion, pretty poor taste.

I don't want to say for sure, but it's also possible you can nab it for cheaper than their listing using the same method they used to acquire the game(s).

Last time I checked, people were trading copies for 2 or 3 TF2 keys, which comes out to about $4.50-$6.50 depending on where you look.

Obviously we can't really stop people from flipping, but I agree that it's a weak thing to do. Especially as this is a pretty friendly community (and the price error took place just a couple hours ago).

Istaerion

Thread rule number 3... (Not trying to be an asshole)

Last time I checked, people were trading copies for 2 or 3 TF2 keys, which comes out to about $4.50-$6.50 depending on where you look.

Obviously we can't really stop people from flipping, but I agree that it's a weak thing to do. Especially as this is a pretty friendly community (and the price error took place just a couple hours ago).

As I see it, the thread's third rule doesn't really cover blatant abuse of the community. Frankly, I've always viewed it as being directed toward more general transactions such as someone selling promotional codes or items a tad higher than the lowest market value.

At the end of the of day, I don't wish to force them to close down nor can anyone expect that, however, I do believe it's more than fair to let the community know just where something originated and how they're being exploited.

Positive feedback for drtomoe123 & TheDancingWatermelon.

I can now say I've bought video games from a Sailor Moon villain and a dancing watermelon. Check that off the bucket list. Thank You both!

Lemstar

As I see it, the thread's third rule doesn't really cover blatant abuse of the community. Frankly, I've always viewed it as being directed toward more general transactions such as someone selling promotional codes or items a tad higher than the lowest market value.

At the end of the of day, I don't wish to force them to close down nor can anyone expect that, however, I do believe it's more than fair to let the community know just where something originated and how they're being exploited.
Would people care about knowing that most of the cheap Steam gifts sold in this thread are probably of Russian origin and probably being sold at a markup?

Istaerion

Would people care about knowing that most of the cheap Steam gifts sold in this thread are probably of Russian origin and probably being sold at a markup?

There's markups and then there's the blatant abuse those two were doing.

I'm fine with people selling goods a tad higher due to circumstance as some people don't want to deal with the same hurdles.

Again, I don't want to police listings nor want them to stop, however, I believe it's fair to inform people just how they're being exploited.

The usual Steam keys being sold here by the various big presence sellers aren't extremely marked up to the point where it's offensive to the community. They're obviously profiting, but that's fine and to be expected.

SmokeMaxX

Positive feedback for asdad123. Bought an item off of him and even though it came damaged, seller was very responsive and we were able to work it out.

Istaerion

Those Valiant Hearts keys are marked up 10 fold.

That's a shitton.

Exactly my point; it's blatant abuse of the community as there's a large audience of gamers, let alone Steam users.

I have no issue with the big presence Steam key sellers here selling keys they're obviously profiting off, however, at least they're not charging outrageous prices let alone taking advantage of extreme price errors such as Valiant Hearts.

If people want to buy their keys, that's on them. I don't believe we should silence those people informing others that they can get it much cheaper or that the keys were a result of a massive price error occurring just a short time ago though.

SmokeMaxX

There's markups and then there's the blatant abuse those two were doing.

I'm fine with people selling goods a tad higher due to circumstance as some people don't want to deal with the same hurdles.

Again, I don't want to police listings nor want them to stop, however, I believe it's fair to inform people just how they're being exploited.

The usual Steam keys being sold here by the various big presence sellers aren't extremely marked up to the point where it's offensive to the community. They're obviously profiting, but that's fine and to be expected.
Can people get it for cheaper right now? I think that's where I draw the line. If someone's selling something for $10 and the next cheapest place is $11, it doesn't really matter to me if that person got it for 20 cents since it's still my cheapest option. While it seems as if they're taking advantage of the community by marking up the price, they're also providing a service to the community by providing the cheapest price available. Hard to balance those two in my mind.

Istaerion

Can people get it for cheaper right now? I think that's where I draw the line. If someone's selling something for $10 and the next cheapest place is $11, it doesn't really matter to me if that person got it for 20 cents since it's still my cheapest option. While it seems as if they're taking advantage of the community by marking up the price, they're also providing a service to the community by providing the cheapest price available. Hard to balance those two in my mind.

You can get it for much cheaper than their prices using the same method they used to acquire the said keys. It's that fact that I'm taking issue with.

If they were selling it for the cheapest despite obviously profiting, then it's fair game as the error or whatever is no longer available. Heck, they could even sell it slightly higher than the cheapest market, so long as it's removing a hurdle for users.

Friggz

reposting:

im still looking to purchase donkey kong tropical freeze and super mario 3d world for the wiiu.

PM with what you got.

thanks!

SmokeMaxX

You can get it for much cheaper than their prices using the same method they used to acquire the said keys. It's that fact that I'm taking issue with.

If they were selling it for the cheapest despite obviously profiting, then it's fair game as the error or whatever is no longer available. Heck, they could even sell it slightly higher than the cheapest market, so long as it's removing a hurdle for users.

Oh I see. Yeah, I don't mind a PSA in that situation although I'm not a big fan of calling out sellers directly (or at least I don't like doing it aggressively). Not saying you're doing that or anything, just speaking in general terms.

Tc91

Meh.

Not much I can do then right if I've already redeemed the copy? I can't expect him to trade back some of the money right? Kinda dodgy to sell it for that price if you can get it for like £2

Istaerion

Oh I see. Yeah, I don't mind a PSA in that situation although I'm not a big fan of calling out sellers directly (or at least I don't like doing it aggressively). Not saying you're doing that or anything, just speaking in general terms.

I agree, they don't need to be lambasted or constantly dug through the mud.

The initial response was a bit aggressive by stating they were ripping you off (despite it being, basically, true).

It's escalated to this huge issue because a lot of people are claiming it's just fine as per the third rule or that it's the same as the many other sellers profiting.

Again, there's profiting and providing a service and then there's blatant abuse and exploitation of your audience.

Meh.

Not much I can do then right if I've already redeemed the copy? I can't expect him to trade back some of the money right? Kinda dodgy to sell it for that price if you can get it for like £2

Unless the seller is willing to work with you, you're basically out of luck.

Just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. It's for this reason why I encourage people informing others about such drastic price differences.

I don't mind flipping, but at least try to be more subtle about it. It's like the people here trying to sell their free $5 XBL credit.

Wait a few days, post on a different forum, etc.

Istaerion

I don't mind flipping, but at least try to be more subtle about it. It's like the people here trying to sell their free $5 XBL credit.

Wait a few days, post on a different forum, etc.

That's the thing, this isn't even flipping anymore; it's blatant abuse of a community.

I, frankly, can't fault people selling off promotion codes or whatever as you're profiting off the fact that someone else didn't utilize the same advantage. The free Xbox Live codes are bit more complicated due to the nature and the attention this forum provided toward the promotion. In fact, I believe the promotion is still running on occasion which certainly puts it into the abuse territory if one must class it.

We're all here to make money in some form, however, I like to think this community is one that doesn't encourage let alone thrive on exploitation.

Y96X2ZR.jpg

1 Intel 4670K. Used for about 40 days. Was never Overclocked and functions extremely well.

I'm including 1 EVGA CPU cooler as well. The 4670K includes all original packaging, papers and stickers while the cooler does not.

I'm selling as I wanted to mess with the 4790K. I'm asking $200 shipping included. I'll accept paypal gift, Amazon GC, or possible trades(I have no specific wants but will entertain offers).

ZOONAMI

Everything is mint condition. Includes all original packaging, cords, manuals, and accessories. With original reciept, warranty through December 2014. Pm me if you want pics or are interested. Asking $600, plus $30 for shipping. Only one ds4.

Games:

Infamous
Killzone
Bf4
Cod: ghosts
Nfs: rivals
Ac4 black flag
Metal gear ground zeroes

-Patrick

Geneijin

No, it's not. You might as well shame people for selling their limited edition 3DS XLs for current market value. The only time this should be questioned is if people are selling stolen items. I was questioned about the origins of my Amazon gift cards I was selling at a discount awhile back when asked and gladly showed why with a receipt and a small explanation. Yet, I don't feel it should be mandatory to disclose such things unless asked. And even then, I have the choice still of answering that or not.

Istaerion

No, it's not. You might as well shame people for selling their limited edition 3DS XLs for current market value. The only time this should be questioned is if people are selling stolen items. I was questioned about the origins of my Amazon gift cards I was selling at a discount awhile back when asked and gladly showed why with a receipt and a small explanation. Yet, I don't feel it should be mandatory to disclose such things unless asked. And even then, I have the choice still of answering that or not.

It's not poor taste to sell something you nabbed for about $2 or less due to a pricing error for $10 that can currently be found for $4-6 on the market? You even have people giving the keys away for free on various forums, websites, and even our own Steam thread.

I don't understand how that's not abuse of your audience.

Selling limited edition goods for far more than you originally got it for is fine considering it's no longer obtainable via normal means. I'm not debating that these sellers need to sell their keys for the original $0.13 pricing error nor sell it close to the traded value they obtained their keys at.

Heck, I'm not even saying they need to stop selling them at all. I'm simply defending those folks who made it public that the numerous keys they were selling are clearly outrageously priced and were gained via a pricing error occurring not long before their listings being put up.

I fail to see how your Amazon Gift Card story even relates to this issue, let alone my claims. I never stated nor have I found it stated that sellers must disclose the origin of their goods.

What I DO advocate is allowing others to mention where these said goods were obtained and why it's overpriced or constituting abuse.

Aselith

They are selling it for what they think people will pay. If people don't buy, they'll move the price down. /shrug

It's nice to give people great deals but if you give them good deals regardless of the markup both sides are benefitting so it's hardly exploitation. The community benefits from both. Now, if these games are easily obtained at 4-6 dollars then people SHOULD buy them at that price so it never hurts to make them aware of that. But markup shaming sellers? IDK that that's in any better taste than the price point. Price is determined by demand not cost of goods.

SmokeMaxX

On here? Wow. Did you have some super insane discount on them? It'd have to be over 30-40% off for me to be suspicious.

Istaerion

They are selling it for what they think people will pay. If people don't buy, they'll move the price down. /shrug

It's nice to give people great deals but if you give them good deals regardless of the markup both sides are benefitting so it's hardly exploitation. The community benefits from both.

The community does not benefit from people marking up goods even higher than those that are already marked up elsewhere. The community benefits when sellers are providing a service, that while profitable, encourages actual trade in said community.

But again, you're right, people will buy whatever they want as will sellers sell whatever they want at whatever price. I'm fine with that and do not challenge it. I'm challenging the fact that there are people attacking others that are mentioning why such items are overpriced and praying on uninformed buyers.

EDIT: I, personally, have not even mentioned a single name. Obviously, I have to reference the listing due to the nature, but I'm not shaming them. The prices are outrageous and pray on folks uninformed.

mdsfx

Can we get back to buying/selling? People DO have a choice here. Buy, sell, or move along. Enough with the judging and shaming.

Now then, WANT TO BUY:

shopping

(Unless you bought it on sale or are profiting in any way whatsoever...)

Istaerion

Can we get back to buying/selling? People DO have a choice here. Buy, sell, or move along. Enough with the judging and shaming.

Now then, WANT TO BUY:

(Unless you bought it on sale or are profiting in any way whatsoever...)

Ugh, why do I even bother? Alright, I'm done trying to explain my perspective.

Geneijin

It's not poor taste to sell something you nabbed for about $2 or less due to a pricing error for $10 that can currently be found for $4-6 on the market? You even have people giving the keys away for free on various forums, websites, and even our own Steam thread.

I don't understand how that's not abuse of your audience.
Because the audience has the final decision on whether or not they want to buy the item ultimately, let alone the item at an inflated price.

Selling limited edition goods for far more than you originally got it for is fine considering it's no longer obtainable via normal means. I'm not debating that these sellers need to sell their keys for the original $0.13 pricing error nor sell it close to the traded value they obtained their keys at.

Heck, I'm not even saying they need to stop selling them at all. I'm simply defending those folks who made it public that the numerous keys they were selling are clearly outrageously priced and were gained via a pricing error occurring not long before their listings being put up.
No, you aren't. You're whining. You're more than welcome to tell them or anyone a better price or how to get a better deal however.

I fail to see how your Amazon Gift Card story even relates to this issue, let alone my claims. I never stated nor have I found it stated that sellers must disclose the origin of their goods.

What I DO advocate is allowing others to mention where these said goods were obtained and why it's overpriced or constituting abuse.
Because you're whining about how much they want to sell their items since you know how much they got it for. You're also being extremely narrow-minded how you want to apply this discrimination, hence, my example of me selling Amazon gift cards for a period of time.

On here? Wow. Did you have some super insane discount on them? It'd have to be over 30-40% off for me to be suspicious.
Yes, on here. And no, it wasn't an insane discount. I sold that person a large amount of Amazon credit at a 10% discount, and he had every reason to suspect the authenticity of the codes to whether or not fraud was involved. I do not wish to divulge that type of information publicly, and I'm glad it was kept that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom