• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Funds First Prisoner Sex-Reassignment Surgery and Move to Women's Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, have a general reallocation of funds prioritizing something else besides the exorbitant costs of healthcare for convicted murderers. That goes for trans and cis. Sounds like you need to take a government class or assuming you're not American, read about it before challenging someone about it.

Last time they tried to run the California Department of Corrections healthcare system on the cheap and punitive it got declared unconstitutional...Then they failed so bad at fixing it that it got put under the purview of a federal court judge. Where it remains to this day.

California doesn't decide who gets what level of healthcare based on severity of the crime.

Beefy

For so many including you, the events that transpire here are just a window of the horrible world of transphobia and vengeance based justice. But for me it is a Tuesday.

I have to put up with biphobia, racism, people that think I am scum as I can't work due to mental health issues etc, so have my fair share of abuse spewed my way. Still doesn't make the stuff said in here by so many any easier to read, specially the ones that have been told facts about a million times.

Oh get out of here you troll. How you haven't been banned yet is so fascinating to me.

You aren't voicing an opinion. You know exactly what you're doing and you constantly repeat your intellectually devoid transphobic nonsense in the face of facts.

Give it time, just ignore him, he's not worth your time. He's basically been trolling the whole way :/

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Not even Goku can dodge a point like you do.

*Whoooosh*

To be fair the point is terrible. Government costs for medical care of prisoners, and defining what is absolutely necessary for a convicted murderer to live in a state that's not inhumane/torturous, is debateable. I agree with your arguments on those, mostly, btw.

Lynching black people isn't debatable.

LionPride

Banned
I have to put up with biphobia, racism etc, so have my fair share of abuse spewed my way. Still doesn't make the stuff said in here by so many any easier to read, specially the ones that have been told facts about a million times.
Facts don't matter, feelings do

Ms.Galaxy

No, have a general reallocation of funds prioritizing something else besides the exorbitant costs of healthcare for convicted murderers. That goes for trans and cis inmates. Sounds like you need to take a government class or assuming you're not American, read about it before challenging someone about it.

I just looked up Prisoner's Rights on google, and this is what they say.

Inmates are entitled to medical care and attention as needed to treat both short-term conditions and long-term illnesses. The medical care provided must be "adequate."

Big Blue

I never disputed whether it was constitutional or not. I disputed whether it's right. If Bin Laden was captured alive, and my tax dollars were paying for his dialysis, as a NYer, you're damn right I'm not gonna be happy about it. If that makes me less "human" in your eyes, then so be it.

Nepenthe

To be fair the point is terrible. Government costs for medical care of prisoners, and defining what is absolutely necessary for a convicted murderer to live in a state that's not inhumane/torturous, is debateable. I agree with your arguments on those, mostly, btw.

To be fair, I wasn't talking about the issue of medical care for prisoners. I was talking about the misgendering and other elements of transphobia that have appeared throughout many of his posts, which isn't debatable as anything but terrible either. This is mainly where the insults have come from in regards to that specific poster.

hodgy100

i believe the post was comparing trans rights to the civil rights of black people. as by all instances they should be the same and being against either of things just makes you flat out wrong no discussion.

Vengeance gaf really comes out in any thread about prisoners rights. Prisoners are treated as subhuman :/

When someone commits subhuman acts and doesn't value other human life and the numerous lives affected by their actions then yeah, some people are bound to think that way.

Level of healthcare received isn't allocated in prison on the basis of severity of crime committed

There is no moral superiority or high ground in arguing that it ought to be.

Platy

When someone commits subhuman acts and doesn't value other human life and the numerous lives affected by their actions then yeah, some people are bound to think that way.

When 2 innocent people kill a killer some people think it is one less killer, but in reality is 2 new killers.

We don't work in a "eye for an eye" society. We are more civilized than that.

Also if you say "if someone commits subhuman acts they deserve to be treated subhuman" means you are in favor of death penalty for EVERY case of murder ?

Level of healthcare received isn't allocated in prison on the basis of severity of crime committed

There is no moral superiority or high ground in arguing that it ought to be.

Yep.

When 2 innocent people kill a killer some people think it is one less killer, but in reality is 2 new killers.

We don't work in a "eye for an eye" society. We are more civilized than that.

Also if you say "if someone commits subhuman acts they deserve to be treated subhuman" means you are in favor of death penalty for EVERY case of murder ?

Never said anything about killing or the death penalty, or even that I necessarily agreed with those people.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'll leave you all with this. I'll take time to think about the issue because of things people have said.

I hope you truly do, because you hold some very hurtful views not based on rational objective reasoning.

I used to be like that. It's possible to become a better person, so I encourage you to do so.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a novel Idea, don't commit a crime.

I have to say this is a very naive way of observing the world. People know that genocide, racism, rape, sexism, murder, stealing, fraud and other things are wrong and yet, they still occur. If it were that easy these systems wouldn't exist in the first place.

There's a reason why we have a penitentiary system, rather than just amputating or summarily executing people. And the reason is that the entire society relies on the pretense that the individual is to be protected at all costs, so that his or her potential can be developed thoroughly. Note that this makes no distinctions whether that individual is a criminal or a law-abiding citizen. There's a reason why we have a justice system, because people need to be protected against unfair claims against them, and as such they are to be presumed innocent.

This doesn't go away by just saying "don't commit a crime", which is the equivalent of covering the sun with your thumb. This is human nature. And it's quite clear in this thread that it won't change. You, and others in this thread, have shown thirst for revenge and anger, the same kind of feeling that many of the criminals that are currently in jail had when they committed their respective crimes.

Do you feel offended by that? I hope not, because the sooner you can see that in the same way you have the potential to be a good person, you also have the potential to be one of the humans who are in jail. And maybe then, you'll see that they also deserve human rights, and that this news is actually progress in the right direction, despite of people that think like you.

Caught up again, but it was a slog. Why bother? Good question. Guess I feel invested in cis people understanding that my identity isn't based on made-up bullshit.

It's incredible, and frightening, how many people seem happy to strip prisoners of basic human rights. No wonder political authoritarianism is on the rise.

As new posters jump in their arguments keep following the same predictable loops. Someone should make a parody of the Street Fighter Ken flowchart for this thread.

Caught up again, but it was a slog. Why bother? Good question. Guess I feel invested in cis people understanding that my identity isn't based on made-up bullshit.

It's incredible, and frightening, how many people seem happy to strip prisoners of basic human rights. No wonder political authoritarianism is on the rise.

As new posters jump in their arguments keep following the same predictable loops. Someone should make a parody of the Street Fighter Ken flowchart for this thread.

lol..

norm9

It's incredible, and frightening, how many people seem happy to strip prisoners of basic human rights.

This is the only portion I flip flop over. I know I will come across as a monster if I express that I don't care about the well being of a murderer, but I generally don't, and will feel guilty, and then I do. But then I read the crimes they commit, and well, my empathy disappears again.

This is the only portion I flip flop over. I know I will come across as a monster if I express that I don't care about the well being of a murderer, but I generally don't, and will feel guilty, and then I do. But then I read the crimes they commit, and well, my empathy disappears again.

I have a visceral, gut reaction that the garbage ideas spewed by racists, for example, should not be allowed to disseminate. But intellectually I know that by protecting their freedom of expression, I also protect my own. We all float or we all (eventually) sink, so I can't play favorites. In that way my self-interest picks up the slack for potential lapses of empathy.

Ewo

Not sure if I should be plugging this or not, but it seems relevant. If anyone's interested in empathy for prisoners or prison reform, someone in my family just finished writing a book on the subject after like 10 years of working on it. It's called The Connecticut Prison Association and the Search for Reformatory Justice and it's based on his experience in the aforementioned association.

I haven't read it yet, but my dad told me some pretty chilling stories from it. He then pointed to the grandfather clock in the room and told me it was made by a murderer.

I kept thinking about this book while reading this thread.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I have a visceral, gut reaction that the garbage ideas spewed by racists, for example, should not be allowed to disseminate. But intellectually I know that by protecting their freedom of expression, I also protect my own. We all float or we all (eventually) sink, so I can't play favorites. In that way my self-interest picks up the slack for potential lapses of empathy.

An extremely important point. Rest assured some of us cis people hear you and are there for you.

KRod-57

Banned
Again, this isn't about MediCal, and yes they do, I'll even call a few trans centers tomorrow to confirm.

That being said, regardless of it, the state's court has also decided that SRS and hormonal treatment for transgender individuates is considered medically necessary.

Also, she wasn't sentence to death, she was sentence to life in prison. Even so, we have to take care of inmates who are sentence to death and ensure they are healthy. I don't care what the people voted for, how people feel, the law requires to treat them at least with some human dignity whether people like it or not. They are a human first, murderer second, and as such they should be treated as such

No, MediCal does not cover transition surgery, again they are required by law to evaluate all requests, but virtually all surgeons' rates are too high for MediCal to cover. Someone else already tried to argue this, and the most they were able to come up with a single county in San Francisco where two insurance companies were splitting the cost of transition surgery with MediCal. MediCal cannot deny someone coverage based on their gender identity, but they can still deny paying for procedures that are considered too expensive, most surgeons rates are above what MediCal covers

I think the fact of the matter is you want it to be true for the sake of your argument, and right now you consider that more important than what is truth.

Matty77

Man this is still going in circles I see.

First I want to address Rambis. Both me and my brother have been involved in grassroots reform groups where I am at and yes deplorable conditions exists. I am sure you are quite correct there are people being denied proper treatment and necessary medical care. But take it from someone who actually puts their money and time where their mouth is the solution is to fix the areas where conditions are not being met not blow it up and deny care when it's actually up to par. You can only argue the fix is to take everyone all down instead of fixing the broken issues for so long before you just seem to have a problem with trans health care.

I doubt if the prisoner was getting say a broken bone set you would want to deny it because another inmate never got theirs set properly?

As for Trans-GAF my respect for you all both as people but also staying strong through the shit you wade through has grown tremendously in this thread.

KRod-57

Banned
Man this is still going in circles I see.

First I want to address Rambis. Both me and my brother have been involved in grassroots reform groups where I am at and yes deplorable conditions exists. I am sure you are quite correct there are people being denied proper treatment and necessary medical care. But take it from someone who actually puts their money and time where their mouth is the solution is to fix the areas where conditions are not being met not blow it up and deny care when it's actually up to par. You can only argue the fix is to take everyone all down instead of fixing the broken issues for so long before you just seem to have a problem with trans health care.

I doubt if the prisoner was getting say a broken bone set you would want to deny it because another inmate never got theirs set properly?

As for Trans-GAF my respect for you all both as people but also staying strong through the shit you wade through has grown tremendously in this thread.

On par?

This is a standard that is higher than our national healthcare coverage (the ACA), it is a higher standard than our state healthcare (what we in California call MediCal), it is even a higher standard than what we set for people currently serving in the military (although this is being worked out)

I understand we need to set a standard for people in prison too, I just wish that standard wasn't higher than what we set for people who do not commit murder. We're not even talking about giving a murderer equal treatment to everyone else, we're talking about giving a murderer better treatment.

Matty77

On par?

This is a standard that is higher than our national healthcare coverage (the ACA), it is a higher standard than our state healthcare (what we in California call MediCal), it is even a higher standard than what we set for people currently serving in the military (although this is being worked out)

I understand we need to set a standard for people in prison too, I just wish that standard wasn't higher than what we set for people who do not commit murder. We're not even talking about giving a murderer equal treatment to everyone else, we're talking about giving a murderer better treatment.
On par for the prison system in that state. Once again the solution is to actually work towards universal health care, or better military healthcare through voting, through organizing and getting things on the ballot, getting people registered to vote and informed, not to get healthcare taken away from prisoners.

Especially when prisoners are wards of the state. They have no freedom. They only have the state to take care of them. They don't choose anything and must deal with what they are given. So instead of bitching about what they get fight the state to extend it to the citizens. That's how progress works.

KRod-57

Banned
On par for the prison system in that state. Once again the solution is to actually work towards universal health care, or better military healthcare through voting, through organizing and getting things on the ballot, getting people registered to vote and informed, not to get healthcare taken away from prisoners.

Especially when prisoners are wards of the state. They have no freedom. They only have the state to take care of them. They don't choose anything and must deal with what they are given. So instead of bitching about what they get fight the state to extend it to the citizens. That's how progress works.

I don't think we should take healthcare away from prisoners, but I do think we should take away giving them superior coverage to everyone else, especially if those funds can be used towards setting a higher standard for people who did not commit murder

Heck, my healthcare coverage isn't even that good. I had a birth mark that a doctor suggested having removed and tested for melanoma, and my insurance company didn't consider that to be enough of a medical necessity to cover the expenses. I'm all for raising our healthcare coverage to cover transition surgery, I just wish murderers weren't getting superior coverage to everyone else

Matty77

I don't think we should take healthcare away from prisoners, but I do think we should take away giving them superior coverage to everyone else, especially if those funds can be used towards setting a higher standard for people who did not commit murder

Heck, my healthcare coverage isn't even that good. I had a birth mark that a doctor suggested having removed and tested for melanoma, and my insurance company didn't consider that to be enough of a medical necessity to cover the expenses. I'm all for raising our healthcare coverage to cover transition surgery, I just wish murderers weren't getting superior coverage to everyone else
But you need to fight for our healthcare. If they take the budget away all you are doing is punishing the prisoners. The state is not going to get that money back and put it into health care, they would probably put it into roadwork to justify needing that much again next year.

To simplify prisoner healthcare== our healthcare. They are not connected and never will be. So the thing to do is not worry about the prison system healthcare and fight for the healthcare that does affect you.

real talk: should prisoners really get food, water, shelter and clothing?

couldn't we just fence them inside a huge walled jungle and let them fend for themselves?

Syncytia

Their healthcare being relatively better means they shouldn't get healthcare? The two are not mutually exclusive. Prisoners should get good health care. Everyone should get good healthcare. That's fine to think it isn't fair that prisoners are getting better healthcare, because it kind of is. But the way we should look at it is, "It's unfair that all citizens are not getting adequate care," rather than, "Prisoners are getting better care."

I've been checking this thread on and off and it's just crazy.... This argument was already in the first few pages when I first posted in this thread.

I just wish murderers weren't getting superior coverage to everyone else

It seems spiteful to want to take something away from someone just because you don't currently have it. Seems we can fight both fights without being petty about resources, to keep a high standard of care for all citizens imprisoned or otherwise. Prisoners get life saving medical care for free for life, should we remove emergency care because it's not free for your average joe?

This topic is literally littered with people who believe necessary healthcare for trans individuals isn't essential. It's the #1 response. It's extremely telling how often we have to correct them and they continue their transphobic shit. I already didn't have a high opinion of Gaf's view of trans individuals and this topic really doesn't help with that. It's very telling that many want to restrict healthcare for trans inmates but not for other people. It's also very telling the logic hoops people will jump through to defend denying a trans individual care but not others. It's also distressing how much people who post this transphobic shit think they know better than actual doctor's....and you know, all the trans people who have posted in this topic.

The rest of your post is just more of the same garbage that's been debunked time and again in this topic. You should save everyone the time and just admit you want to shitpost. Seriously this is such a pointless repetitive topic at this point, I don't even see why it's still open. No one seems to want to actually engage with the facts at hand here in regards to trans care.
I don't owe you a response to the entire first paragraph, speaking of shitposting. Take it up with the people who are trying to carve out an argument that specifically denies trans people treatment. That is not me.

The topic is probably still open because people like you are dismissing any contrary opinions on this outcome as transphobia, even when they, as I, have outlined that this is a far more complicated and expansive topic than you are pretending -- especially when you take in how we confer more medical privileges on prisoners than poor people based on an "agency" argument that makes no sense.

Pointing that out isn't shitposting. Ignoring people who point that out and calling that "garbage" is most definitely shitposting. Bye.

Sure, it's okay to find it awful that poor law-abiding people don't get healthcare and prisoners do, but what does this have to do with this specific treatment? It's like LionPride said:
Uh, because it's the OP of the thread and is emblematic of an unjust system that treats poor people badly and those injustices are roiling right under the surface of this story? Do you wanna pretend that trans people haven't posted in this thread about how it stings that they'll have to raise money for their own GRS while the state gives it to murderers for free, or are you about done?

As in intentionally commit a crime specifically to get free GRS.
Nobody said that was happening?

Do you honestly think that if they had denied GRS to this woman that that 20 000k was going to go pay off someone's mortgage? You try and tell me about the "real world" and then argue that this woman getting GRS is preventing the state from helping a random family keep their house? It is a total non sequitur to the topic at hand.
It'll be a non-sequitir the day states have infinite money to spend on health care and poor people are no longer denied their right to treatment. Until then, I don't really care how unlikely you find it that $20k wouldn't do some good elsewhere in California's budget, because I live here, and I can tell you it would, and I can tell you that money is the only thing preventing a lot of good things in this state and in this world from happening.

Again you call it real world and then argue some sort of made up scenario where the state of California's Prison health care budget is 100 000k to prove your point?

I notice you also went straight to cancer. I have constantly compared this to treating something like treating bipolar disorder, it is a much more down to earth comparison.

In 2011 (latest I could find) the State of California spent over 2 million on health care for inmates and that is spent not budget. This surgery was all of 1% of that total 2011 expenditure. She received roughly 6 k more than the yearly average per prisoner expenditure by California, and keep in mind that is average, which means she is likely not the only one who received more than the average.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/assets/2014/07/stateprisonhealthcarespendingreport.pdf
Those are interesting stats, and again I completely support inmate health care in principle, but in practice the hypocrisy of using "poor people have agency" as a societal value that results in their being denied is an unacceptable ordering of priorities.

I live in San Francisco and I see third-world living on the streets on a daily basis. To think that all one of these poor souls would need to do to get medical attention is to murder somebody is a perversion of human values, but that's the system we offer the destitute. No statement you will ever make about the curative properties of GRS will make that make sense to me. I'm sorry.

Though I noticed you avoided answering my question as to why this is news when prisoners getting other treatments is not.
Because it's an obvious bait attempt to try to draw out a gotcha moment and this isn't even a trans issue to me. Though if you mean, generally "why is this in the news" (and not, "why are you posting here?") it is probably because a) she is the first prisoner in America to receive state-covered GRS, and b) people who aren't in touch with trans issues (not me) generally don't regard GRS as medically necessary.

What do you suggest we do to her? I doubt she would be committing any crimes while out. She's been in prison long enough.

"Ms. Quine and an accomplice kidnapped and fatally shot Shahid Ali Baig, 33, a father of three, in downtown Los Angeles in February 1980, stealing $80 and his car during a drug- and alcohol-fueled rampage"

Nah keep this scumbag locked up

Makki

What do you suggest we do to her? I doubt she would be committing any crimes while out. She's been in prison long enough.
And you concluded this because she's a woman? Would you say this if she hadnt been diagnosed with the gender identity issue?

Ekai

I don't owe you a response to the entire first paragraph, speaking of shitposting. Take it up with the people who are trying to carve out an argument that specifically denies trans people treatment. That is not me.

The topic is probably still open because people like you are dismissing any contrary opinions on this outcome as transphobia, even when they, as I, have outlined that this is a far more complicated and expansive topic than you are pretending -- especially when you take in how we confer more medical privileges on prisoners than poor people based on an "agency" argument that makes no sense.

Pointing that out isn't shitposting. Ignoring people who point that out and calling that "garbage" is most definitely shitposting. Bye..

No, you are flatout shitposting. As is everyone who constantly belittles transcare as less deserving, frivolous, a luxury, elective, way too expensive, etc. etc. etc. We have had to tell people like you the facts constantly. Your response is to continue shitposting and speak as though you you know better than the fucking facts about this matter. As a transperson, I can fucking sniff your transphobia a mile away. Pretty much every trans person in this topic is seeing the transphobia within this topic for what it is. That you would try to insult that only speaks volumes about your own arrogance for what you don't even understand. You haven't had to live our lives, you have a complete ignorance on what you and others are doing and it shows just how little empathy some have in this matter. And before you even say it, I'm not speaking of empathy for the prisoner in this topic. Though she is as deserving of medical care as anyone else in prison....because it's a necessary surgery for her and we don't violate the 8th amendment in a civilized society. I'm speaking to the continued narrative that our necessary health care isn't necessary. It's being addressed to us as a community whenever one dares try to imply for any one of us that it's not necessary. Fuck that. noise.

In regards to your continued shitty argument about medical care for prisoners vs. medical care for the poor:
THEY'RE. SEPARATE. THINGS. Denying her medical care isn't magically going to help someone else. They're two fucking separate systems. One can be angry about the one without literally violating the 8th amendment for the other. That's where I lie on this matter. However, it's extremely fucking telling that you'd rather take from the prisoners, especially when it'a a trans one. No one would fucking care if this was a story about insulin for a prisoner. Mot everyone responding wouldn't be making the same fucking arguments and we all know it. Why? Because taxpayers pay for insulin all the fucking time anyway. This is hilarious since all the idiots who have responded angry about the "costs" of srs would be fine with insulin when that's a matter that costs way more than srs does.

We all know why this topic blew up. People can't help but to expose their bigotry on this matter and are only upset because it's a trans person. Hence all the continued hateful bs about our necessary medical care being a luxury in the face of constant. repeated. facts. I've repeated it a lot only because it's such a bs constant argument. That said there's been a lot of stupid arguments from transphobes in this topic that have been debunked a million and one times already.

That you would even defend anything in this topic, including your own shitposting (via the same repeated drivel that's been debunked a million times over from other posters), is just ridiculous. Literally no one has presented a reasonable argument in this topic. As I said earlier this topic is nothing more than a revolving door of new people making the same dumb arguments. That's why this topic shouldn't even be open anymore. Conversation value is completely exhausted, facts are ignored and the trans community is only further insulted by people responding. Those dumb arguments are all the shitty bs that's within that bingo card you so quickly dismiss despite how on point it is. So, in essence, sorry, not sorry, going to call out the shitposting for what it is. Sod off.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Because she's had GRS she's now a stand up member of society? Unless you're advocating for the release of all murderers that have been in a while, because you doubt they would be committing crimes.

E92 M3

Just release her and allow her to go on with her life. She's been behind bars long enough.

CHL99Yx.gif

Do you have a spare bedroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom