• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Timeaisis

RIP Fireblend. Losing a doctor sucks, but we can deal. One cultist the first night is great.

That being said...

We've got a night killer and I think it's likely Blarg. I said so as much a while back that I thought Blarg was a neutral role, and probably a serial killer. I think it adds up.

So, my guess is that this killer is either:
- A Serial killer that wanted to kill a cultist to gain our trust (this points to Blarg)
- A town vigilante that was still convinced LP was the way to go (this could be literally everyone)

Let's remember that a vigilante is good for town if they are on point. So far, they've been on point. But they can be really dangerous as well.

Blarg is still a candidate for lynch, in my opinion. Let's consider our options carefully, as it seems like there's a lot in play.

Flame_AC

Just from looking at some of the LP stuff, one person who stuck out to me was Lord of Castamere, maybe y'all want to take a look as well. I'll work on building a case on him and see what I find.

Feel kinda bad we lost Fireblend though, he was a fairly good player and was a step above the average tourist too. You're with us in spirit which probably helps as a shaman.

ultron87

Woohoo mostly! Losing a doctor this early is rough, but at least we didn't hang them ourselves. A Cultist death is great. Should be some good digging we can do based on the way the votes went yesterday. I'll try and look into those tonight when I have some time to dig.

The turn insane thing seems more fluff than anything else. In most Cthulu-ey stuff going insane is as good as being dead. It doesn't mean you're suddenly evil. Just your mind is gone.

To respond to myself here, on a re-read the Role PM also says the Cultists are already insane, so if they can be insane in the flavor and operate then the turned-insane victim probably can too. Still seems like a recruiting mechanic would be laid out in the role text though. Unless some other town role says they'll flip if sacrificed or something like that.

Flame_AC

...huh. I clearly misunderstood what we were agreeing on. Well, for the moment, I'm okay with letting Blarg live, as long as everyone else is good with it. I don't actually buy that he was declaring himself a third party killer on day one anyway, but it was worth investigating.

Yeah... Blarg living through today is in no means guaranteed yet.

As for how kill/turn insane exactly work. That I can not answer. But Cultists have no influence on what will happen when they used that action. That is up to me.

And being turned insane is not a permanent thing. Guess that is also something everyone should know.

This indicates that Turning Insane is something that can happen to a player in the game, yet it doesn't remove them from it. At the very least we know it's on the table now.

Sorian

Banned
Holy shit. And I was gonna back off Prodigy today.

This is interesting. I have to gather my thoughts on this. This makes the Tucah vote much more interesting.

I might as well quote this one now because I was the driving force behind that Tucah vote. I screwed up day 1 royally, we were on track towards a cultist kill and I shifted based on a hunch and a desire to allow someone to keep playing for a bit longer because they were doing so bad that I didn't think it would be that easy to get a cultist.

ultron87

As for how kill/turn insane exactly work. That I can not answer. But Cultists have no influence on what will happen when they used that action. That is up to me.

And being turned insane is not a permanent thing. Guess that is also something everyone should know.

Okay, this makes my two previous posts mostly meaningless.

Droplet

So was Blarg "insane" on the first day with all the cryptic nonsense I take it? Then maybe he doesn't have special powers after all?

I don't know about the special powers, but Blarg being insane is nothing new. I doubt anyone would have "turned insane" prior to the game actually starting, and if it's a cultist directed action I imagine the first opportunity for it happening would have been tonight.

Sorian

Banned
...huh. I clearly misunderstood what we were agreeing on. Well, for the moment, I'm okay with letting Blarg live, as long as everyone else is good with it. I don't actually buy that he was declaring himself a third party killer on day one anyway, but it was worth investigating.

A lot of us agreed but put in our own little provisions. I said that I wouldn't vote for Blarg if there was an obvious cultist to attack during this day phase. We got some night results so I need to re-read some old stuff when I get a chance tonight and there might be an obvious cult kill behind some research but Blarg is not off the hook for today quite yet.

I examine the Blarg Incident in detail last night and I'm not exactly convinced he's responsible for the extra kill. There's somebody else I want to hear from before I'm ready to commit to anything.

Flame_AC

So was Blarg "insane" on the first day with all the cryptic nonsense I take it? Then maybe he doesn't have special powers after all?

I absolutely disagree with this for two reasons. The first being that the Cultists hadn't even had an opportunity to turn people insane, yet you think Blarg was already turned insane. The second being that you're doubting Blarg has some sort of a special role. Every sign we've had so far seems to indicate that he is a third party which has the ability to kill.

Flame_AC

I examine the Blarg Incident in detail last night and I'm not exactly convinced he's responsible for the extra kill. There's somebody else I want to hear from before I'm ready to commit to anything.

I don't think they'll know who you're talking about unless you call them out, who exactly is it that you think might have been responsible instead?

RetroMG

A lot of us agreed but put in our own little provisions. I said that I wouldn't vote for Blarg if there was an obvious cultist to attack during this day phase. We got some night results so I need to re-read some old stuff when I get a chance tonight and there might be an obvious cult kill behind some research but Blarg is not off the hook for today quite yet.

Yeah... Blarg living through today is in no means guaranteed yet.

Oh, agreed. Blarg's not necessarily innocent, and the second kill is still disturbing. He's still high on the suspect list.

Do we have any confirmations on Darryl's item?

Well, based on Star Wars Mafia, that sort of play is par for the course for Blarg. Puzzles are just sort of his thing.

Sorian

Banned

Are you thinking a vigilante like Timeasis mentioned earlier? Because, yeah, LP would be an obvious choice for a vigilante. We failed on our vote and the smart thing for a vig to do was go after the person in second palce for that vote.

I doubt Blarg's role told him how to act/what to say during the first day so being insane is either flavor text or a mechanic (looks like a mechanic).

Droplet

For the record, votes on LP throughout the day phase in order:

Droplet
Sorian
Flame_AC
Rats Off To Ya
Darryl

Most people took the heat off of him later on, except Rats who voted for him 3 times (!!) throughout the day. It's worth noting that there really wasn't a bandwagon starting there because most people shifted their attentions towards Blarg right after, then Tucah later on.

I'm personally worried about the shift in attention towards Blarg because as a supposed third party he makes for an easy target for everyone. The Tucah vote later on doesn't seem as suspicious in retrospect.

From memory, RetroMG and Never Forever also had votes on him at some point, both at times when a bandwagon was imminent. You're all in my circle of trust.

Flame_AC

Droplet
Sorian
Flame_AC
Rats Off To Ya
Darryl

Most people took the heat off of him later on, except Rats who voted for him 3 times (!!) throughout the day. It's worth noting that there really wasn't a bandwagon starting there because most people shifted their attentions towards Blarg right after, then Tucah later on.

I'm personally worried about the shift in attention towards Blarg because as a supposed third party he makes for an easy target for everyone. The Tucah vote later on doesn't seem as suspicious in retrospect.

A 3rd Party is something that we can't really risk running amok without some sort of huge benefit, we have no idea what his win condition might be, and he could flip anti-town depending on his mood/the day. Should we develop no other substantial leads, Blarg is the person who makes the most sense.

Perhaps a temporary vigilante.

I think I'm thinking what you're thinking.

Anyway, whilst the Tucah vote is definitely important in taking the wheels off of the L_P bandwagon completely, the entire mess surrounding Blargonaut that started up again after Matt Attack posted his treatise at post 915 was equally vital to taking the pressure off of L_P entirely as the focus of the game moved away from the L_P/Darryl exchange in favour of making people either pro- or anti- Blarg.

The only people who aren't particularly caught up in this shit are Darryl and ROTY. ROTY switched his vote to Blargonaut, but went back to his original suspicion, which is sort of the decider for me as with the pressure off of L_P he could have easily left his vote on Blarg for the rest of the day instead of returning to the subject unnecessarily and reminding everyone of his scummy existence (from a Maf perspective). Meanwhile, Darryl Darryl'd and ripped L_P's head off.

Zatoth

As stated in the rules a dead player is allowed to send one final message.

Here is Fireblend's

Fellow tourists,

As I write these words I fear death is upon me. I dare not peek out of my tent but I know the ritual is being prepared. I can hear the chanting and the incantations, the sound of chains and the flickering of flames. Like the ship's steward before me, I will die in the name of the ancient gods adored by the madmen this damned island has taken for mental prisoners. Fellow tourists: Live on. Avenge me. I did my best. I was able to understand some of the mysterious magicks that these insane cultists employ, in attempts to help our cause, but not even that could save me from their wicked ways. I wish I could kill myself now, but I don't have the courage. Perhaps my lamentations, or the look in my eyes as I die will awaken some part of their conscience - if there is still some salvation for them. If not, be ruthless, and don't despair - free them from their cursed existence. I shall accompany you in spirit.

Bye, my brothers.

RetroMG

Droplet
Sorian
Flame_AC
Rats Off To Ya
Darryl
From memory, RetroMG and Never Forever also had votes on him at some point, both at times when a bandwagon was imminent. You're all in my circle of trust.
I appreciate you calling it out, Rats. I voted for L_P here. I switched to Tucah later after Sorian suggested it.

Also, Droplet, glad to see you back. Hope things are better.

Droplet

Oops, you're correct, I stopped looking seriously around when the Blarg votes started. Both Never Forever and RetroMG had votes on Blarg along with you and Darryl.

A 3rd Party is something that we can't really risk running amok without some sort of huge benefit, we have no idea what his win condition might be, and he could flip anti-town depending on his mood/the day. Should we develop no other substantial leads, Blarg is the person who makes the most sense.

I don't disagree with that, I'm saying it's possible that cult members, realizing that we had votes starting on LP wanted to distract our attention away from him and get us to vote for somebody that we could all agree is a detriment to town.

Sorian

Banned

Here is Fireblend's

RIP brother. You will be missed ;_;

I think I'm thinking what you're thinking.

Anyway, whilst the Tucah vote is definitely important in taking the wheels off of the L_P bandwagon completely, the entire mess surrounding Blargonaut that started up again after Matt Attack posted his treatise at post 915 was equally vital to taking the pressure off of L_P entirely as the focus of the game moved away from the L_P/Darryl exchange in favour of making people either pro- or anti- Blarg.

The only people who aren't particularly caught up in this shit are Darryl and ROTY. ROTY switched his vote to Blargonaut, but went back to his original suspicion, which is sort of the decider for me as with the pressure off of L_P he could have easily left his vote on Blarg for the rest of the day instead of returning to the subject unnecessarily and reminding everyone of his scummy existence (from a Maf perspective). Meanwhile, Darryl Darryl'd and ripped L_P's head off.

I'm going strictly off of memory here, if I try analyzing old posts now, I'm going to really sink in productivity at work. The moral of the story is that we got distracted from a cult kill because of Blarg shenanigans and myself pushing a vote for Tucah. While I was acting against an element that I though was more likely to be cultist, Blarg created distractions on his own. I get the feeling that this didn't dig up as much as we were hoping (thought I don't want to discount that possibility yet) but we should keep the below post in mind.

Blarg sold himself as 3rd party and he will need to go sooner rather than later.

nin1000

Banned
So, the general consensus is that Blargonaut was the 3rd party who killed the cult player? I would love to hear from Blargonaut aswell as Darryl what they have to say since that item thing is still in my head.

I might as well quote this one now because I was the driving force behind that Tucah vote. I screwed up day 1 royally, we were on track towards a cultist kill and I shifted based on a hunch and a desire to allow someone to keep playing for a bit longer because they were doing so bad that I didn't think it would be that easy to get a cultist.

I wanted to respond to this. No hard feelings there. Your read on Tucah was completely reasonable. Your gut went one way, mine went the other. In revisiting the thread last night I actually softened on my view of Prodigy. He still would have been a candidate for a lynch, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Sorian

Banned
So, the general consensus is that Blargonaut was the 3rd party who killed the cult player? I would love to hear from Blargonaut aswell as Darryl what they have to say since that item thing is still in my head.

Blarg will have to chime in at some point, definitely. I do need to know though, who got the Crazy Orb? I flip-flopped all day on day 1 on whether Darryl could be lying about this thing so it's not going to help if no one claims to have it now.

I wanted to respond to this. No hard feelings there. Your read on Tucah was completely reasonable. Your gut went one way, mine went the other. In revisiting the thread last night I actually softened on my view of Prodigy. He still would have been a candidate for a lynch, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm going to have to re-analyze all of my reads. There were some obvious errors that need to be rectified. That'' be a project closer to the end of this day phase though once I hear from everyone and see what topics we end up discussing.

Coppanuva

I do need to know though, who got the Crazy Orb? I flip-flopped all day on day 1 on whether Darryl could be lying about this thing so it's not going to help if no one claims to have it now.

Agreed here 100%. I want to know if it exists, and if there's any way we can tell if one of the powers was used. I have a theory I'm working on depending on these answers.

RetroMG

I actually wanted to chime in too. You're going to be wrong sometimes, and that's okay. You do the best you can with the info you have, and accept that sometimes you won't be right.

We lynched Timeaisis last game when I thought we had really solid evidence that he was scum. He wasn't. Thems the breaks.

Anyway, seconded for wanting to hear who got the Time Orb, and what Blarg has to say for himself. (I'm willing to bet cash money that we haven't heard from him yet because he's working on his next puzzle.)

I mentioned this yesterday, but I don't think The Keeper of the Cube should claim it while it's still in their possession. We don't know what the Cult can do to them. For the good of Town we can all wait a day for a confirmation.

nin1000

Banned
Blarg will have to chime in at some point, definitely. I do need to know though, who got the Crazy Orb? I flip-flopped all day on day 1 on whether Darryl could be lying about this thing so it's not going to help if no one claims to have it now.

Never thought of it that way. Since I do not see any positive outcome for him if he would lie about that item. We will have to wait and see for now.

RetroMG

I mentioned this yesterday, but I don't think The Keeper of the Cube should claim it while it's still in their possession. We don't know what the Cult can do to them. For the good of Town we can all wait a day for a confirmation.

I agree with you on the whole, but I think it would be nice for whoever has it to come forward today, only so we can confirm that it is, in fact real. Because if it's not, we need to be asking Darryl some questions.

I think it's at least possible Blarg is our killer. But, there were enough people who were on the LP lynch train that I think it's equally possible one of them took him out. I'm going to weigh both possibilities equally for the time being.

Here is Fireblend's

w1pFf1J.gif

Flame_AC

If the person doesn't claim today, then how will we know if its real, wouldn't you prefer to know today and then have it start being used on Night 3 once we have even more information. Having someone hide that they have it will only make Darryl look bad and give us less options.

I agree with you on the whole, but I think it would be nice for whoever has it to come forward today, only so we can confirm that it is, in fact real. Because if it's not, we need to be asking Darryl some questions.

If the person doesn't claim today, then how will we know if its real, wouldn't you prefer to know today and then have it start being used on Night 3 once we have even more information. Having someone hide that they have it will only make Darryl look bad and give us less options.

If Darryl's lying, I don't think it's such a pressing issue that it can't wait a day. Especially given that we just bought ourselves some time with an early Cult kill.

Sorian

Banned

With this whole insanity mechanic in play now, it is possible that the person with the Orb is more susceptible to being turned insane than a normal player. I'm just not sure if insanity is just supposed to be flavor for being recruited or if it means something else entirely. I'm ok waiting for day 3 for confirmation only because we do have a Blarg to fall back on if discussion today ends up being slim.

Droplet

Oops, you're correct, I stopped looking seriously around when the Blarg votes started. Both Never Forever and RetroMG had votes on Blarg along with you and Darryl.

Gaah I'm out of it today. This should be reading "Both Never Forever and RetroMG had votes on Lone_Prodigy along with you and Darryl."

Flame_AC

If Darryl's lying, I don't think it's such a pressing issue that it can't wait a day. Especially given that we just bought ourselves some time with an early Cult kill.

I'm just going to caution everyone to say to not let complacency set in now that we've got an early advantage.

I'll be posting about LoC in a little while.

Sorian

Banned
It's not complacency, it's protecting Tourist assets.

If we can make each day count, discussion wise, then it's ok not to blow our load too early on everything. You should keep in mind though, it was only Darryl's hunch that the orb was for tourists only. We don't actually know that to be true.

giphy.gif

Hey there! I'm TheWorthyEdge and I'm a replacement! I see that 2 people have come to their demise. One good, and one bad.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of things? Why is everyone pointing at Blarg and for what
he can be a character as seen from last game ;D
?

I'll be going through looking for anything I deem suspicious. It's good to be in a game of mafia again. I love it!

Sorian

Banned
giphy.gif

Hey there! I'm TheWorthyEdge and I'm a replacement! I see that 2 people have come to their demise. One good, and one bad.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of things? Why is everyone pointing at Blarg and for what
he can be a character as seen from last game ;D
?

I'll be going through looking for anything I deem suspicious. It's good to be in a game of mafia again. I love it!

I've gotta stay classy so here, have a vote

VOTE: The WorthyEdge

I'd rather you read through the thread, get your own bearings, and tell us your thoughts based on having a fresh pair of eyes. You literally replaced someone who did nothing so you are a 100% fresh roll to us. As such, it wouldn't be a greeting if I didn't suspect you right away. Take your time and let us know what you think has been odd between the whole game.

Top Bottom