• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

I decided to pre-order this on PSN about an hour and half ago, download was going swimmingly and would have taken 40 minutes, but halfway through it all changed and it's now sitting at 34 hours. Any suggestions? I have a download speed of 50 mbps.

Ambient80

All patched up, says its unlocking in 50 minutes or so. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder if that's true. Yes I've already "launched" the game to the full screen countdown.

ChuckNyce

It is. Its slick in its implementation which means its going to catch on quick and that is a deciding factor on how the games play.

Yea it's a pretty big paradigm shift in the series, I think it's probably the most radical change since Modern Warfare IMO. Dashing away from gunfire and boost jumping on top of buildings feels so natural, I'm curious how we'll adjust to next year's COD (assuming Treyarch doesn't have Exos or jet packs in their game).

Edit: Think I'm gonna get a quick stream up in about 15-20 minutes. Gotta work in the AM so won't be up super long though.

Karak

On PC the load times for SP are absurd.. even on SSD.

Anyone else having this issue?

Talking like 3-5 minutes to load a level.
Maybe 40 second here on PC.
Xbox 360 maybe 1 minute or less depending on the level but that's a guess I didn't time it.
PS4 and Xbox One faster or about the same.

Yea it's a pretty big paradigm shift in the series, I think it's probably the most radical change since Modern Warfare IMO. Dashing away from gunfire and boost jumping on top of buildings feels so natural, I'm curious how we'll adjust to next year's COD (assuming Treyarch doesn't have Exos or jet packs in their game).

Edit: Think I'm gonna get a quick stream up in about 15-20 minutes. Gotta work in the AM so won't be up super long though.
Agreed in all ways. The dash is insane. I dash around corners as most players just aren't yet ready for super speed around corners and sit waiting for people to just run around them. I dash around them, or creep around them with the shield. Adds insane strategy.
I also love the shield. I admit its not new in these games but that and the car door are fantastic additions with the shield making itself worth it for going around corners in some of the MP levels.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Played a lot of the campaign so far. I like it but the devs went the safe route with a standard CoD campaign. BLOPS 2 still is the king.

It is. Its slick in its implementation which means its going to catch on quick and that is a deciding factor on how the games play.

The one thing I wish I could do is to be able to bind my mouse wheel tilts to the evasive maneuvers. I find double clicking a,s,d to be clumsy in the heat of battle. The tilt wheel would be perfect for left/right maneuver.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG_0533.jpg

AW and Pork Skins, but no A&W.

I don't like root beer.

Karak

The one thing I wish I could do is to be able to bind my mouse wheel tilts to the evasive maneuvers. I find double clicking a,s,d to be clumsy in the heat of battle. The tilt wheel would be perfect for left/right maneuver.

I just have a programmable mouse. But I agree. Within the game it should be.

IMG_0533.jpg

I don't like root beer.
Brother! Yes. I love those Baken-ets but I do the spicy kind for gaming. Lets do this!

jey_16

Banned
I was going to wait for reveiews but decided to buy it anyway. Not much else for me to play on the ps4 this year

Is everyone else getting this day 0 edition?

Guys, if you've played it, can you give me a reference point by ranking your favourite CODs and AW? I like Blops, COD4, and WaW. How does this game rank in relation to those?

LowParry

I don't like root beer.

How dare you defy the Dew and Dorito Gods. Dare you!

Guys, if you've played it, can you give me a reference point by ranking your favourite CODs and AW? I like Blops, COD4, and WaW. How does this game rank in relation to those?

This is more of a spin off of COD. You can't even compare it to other COD games. It's fresh and new in the movement. The gun play however is comparable to BO2 imo.

I decided to pre-order this on PSN about an hour and half ago, download was going swimmingly and would have taken 40 minutes, but halfway through it all changed and it's now sitting at 34 hours. Any suggestions? I have a download speed of 50 mbps.

CoD is popular. PS4 is popular.
And everyone realized they could play today.

So...

ChuckNyce

Maybe 40 second here on PC.
Xbox 360 maybe 1 minute or less depending on the level but that's a guess I didn't time it.
PS4 and Xbox One faster or about the same.

Agreed in all ways. The dash is insane. I dash around corners as most players just aren't yet ready for super speed around corners and sit waiting for people to just run around them. I dash around them, or creep around them with the shield. Adds insane strategy.
I also love the shield. I admit its not new in these games but that and the car door are fantastic additions with the shield making itself worth it for going around corners in some of the MP levels.

Ah sweet, never thought to use the exo shield for rounding corners. I played with it some but I was always trying to use it in the heat of battle and ended up getting shot in the face. Gonna put it on a couple layouts now.

Trying to decide whether to go to the midnight launch a bit later, or just go in the morning. I want to finish Sunset Overdrive before I play this, but it's tempting.

I wonder how good the campaign is, because it's unlikely the multiplayer will hook me for a long period. I'm just not someone who plays it routinely.

Karak

Ah sweet, never thought to use the exo shield for rounding corners. I played with it some but I was always trying to use it in the heat of battle and ended up getting shot in the face. Gonna put it on a couple layouts now.

Ya try it. Or the dash out of the corner. People tend to sit aiming at corners but many times if you dash you can overshoot them. The shield and corners is really good if you have close cover and are not sure if someone is just sitting there. But I am sure in 20 second someone will have a way around that. Its a round robin of ideas right now and its been fun seeing people trying different things.

Well, I'm an idiot. Thanks for reminding me that my mouse is programmable.

Of course brother. Enjoy!

nullpoynter

I really wish I could buy on my 360 and upgrade to the PS4. I have a PS4 but my friends haven't upgraded from their 360 yet. Boo! I guess it's 360 only.

Karak

I really wish I could buy on my 360 and upgrade to the PS4. I have a PS4 but my friends haven't upgraded from their 360 yet. Boo! I guess it's 360 only.

I cover that version almost 80% in my review. Just an FYI. If you are interested.
Did you play Titanfall? How does it compare?
Yep I played it a ton for awhile.
Seems to be less usefull of a boost vertically to escape danger due to COD's faster death by bullet gameplay and isn't as freeflowing but with the horizontal boost it adjusts gameplay a fair amount and I honestly feel it will be a fun aim killer for some. I mean if you are quick you can literally dodge back around a corner while getting shot. I know many skilled players are having to come to grips with it as jumping, or trying to run away was the only way out of a firefight in the past. Now if you are fast and in danger you have a wholy different tool to utilize. In fact I have noticed a couple players EXPECTING me to boost away but instead I just ran away and they got confused hahaha.

Hurley

Enjoying the multiplayer so far but had a few games where it seemed like even when seeing someone first I was getting killed instantly but then I remembered it was still downloading the rest of the game in the background lol, might of had something to do with it.

Only real issue I'm having is what sensitivity to use, I keep adjusting it but can't seem to find one that's right for me.

Those who have AW.. For the life of me I can't find it...where are the collected amount of points located to upgrade perks in the menu? Just want to know how much I have.
Thx!

Karak

Enjoying the multiplayer so far but had a few games where it seemed like even when seeing someone first I was getting killed instantly but then I remembered it was still downloading the rest of the game in the background lol, might of had something to do with it.

Only real issue I'm having is what sensitivity to use, I keep adjusting it but can't seem to find one that's right for me.

Sensitivity takes a long time to work out.

did you try pausing and resuming? restarting your cable modem?

Pausing and resuming worked before and was getting done in 20 minutes, then at about 3GB it jumped up to 30 hours. Now it says 3, I'm just gonna let it go and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion though.

Pain

Banned
Should've pre-loaded days ago. Lots of people are probably downloading last minute.

mandiller

I thought there was some weird lag or bad netcode happening when I was playing online and then I got the message "Migrating to new host". God damn. How is P2P multiplayer still a thing? I didn't even realise this game didn't use dedicated servers until I started playing.

I thought there was some weird lag or bad netcode happening when I was playing online and then I got the message "Migrating to new host". God damn. How is P2P multiplayer still a thing? I didn't even realise this game didn't use dedicated servers until I started playing.

Likely a hybrid of P2P and dedicated servers, just as Ghosts used.

NYR

Watching Hutch on Twitch is giving me a vintage vibe back to the golden age of YouTube. Very cool stuff, game looks like a massive throwback to what makes CoD so great and highlights what Ghosts did so poorly.

Top Bottom