• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

LQX

So how is the PC community like for COD games? I'm interested in grabbing this because I really don't have a good competitive FPS in my life at the moment, and I kind of missed the boat on Battlefield 3.

Huge! MW2 is the only one that suffers and that is because the idiot assholes only allowed match making.

ACE 1991

Huge! MW2 is the only one that suffers and that is because the idiot assholes only allowed match making.

Okay, neat! I'm mostly interested because I feel like the lack of auto aim will make this game feel a little less shallow on PC.

So how is the PC community like for COD games? I'm interested in grabbing this because I really don't have a good competitive FPS in my life at the moment, and I kind of missed the boat on Battlefield 3.

You haven't really missed the boat on BF3. You could always find a cheap copy and jump in. Lots of people still playing. If not, you'll find lots of people playing Black Ops 2 on the PC for a long time.

MW2 has more people playing right now than Black Ops according to Steam stats.

LQX

You haven't really missed the boat on BF3. You could always find a cheap copy and jump in. Lots of people still playing. If not, you'll find lots of people playing Black Ops 2 on the PC for a long time.

Wow, surprised at that. Finally had to uninstall it as it took forever to get into a game.

Makoto

The playerbase is substantial. There's no telling what concurrent player numbers BO2 will pull at launch. MW2 at launch was consistently 100,000+ for weeks. BO2 was near that number but it dropped off fast, I think mostly in part due to the technical issues people were experiencing. MW3 opened lower than BO. By the way, I put emphasis on concurrent player numbers because Black Ops 2 PC will be matchmaking and the quality and speed of you getting into games will depend on how high the active playerbase is. I expect BO2 to get some high numbers like 70,000+ at launch but whether the playerbase will stick around depends on the quality of the port and the game itself.

This is where I'm worried about BO2 PC. While MW2 PC has more players playing than the first BO, it takes waaaaaay too long to find a game on MW2 because you've got a peak concurrent playerbase of 9,000 divided over 16 playlists, multiple DLC packs and several regions. The end result has been that TDM is the only feasible playlist that one can find a match for in less than 10 minutes (which I think is a generous estimate) while every other playlist is pretty much empty. Black Ops however you can find a game in less than minute thanks to the server browser.

Yup it turns it full-auto and adds recoil.

I would love to see a video of FAL OSW and SMR recoil patterns with and without Select Fire (Modded Controller). I'm wondering if the Select Fire actually adds recoil to those guns. In a few days I'll see for myself.

AzaK

Unless your American i probably wouldn't bother with the Wii U versions of COD until 2014/2015. There is after all no-user-base for the Wii U (literally).

Have they region locked the matchmaking? I'm sure way back in MW 1 on my PS3 it'd be in game with people from anywhere.

Hoodbury

Unless your American i probably wouldn't bother with the Wii U versions of COD until 2014/2015. There is after all no-user-base for the Wii U (literally).

There will still be enough players online though. Is there really a difference to your individual player experience if there is 3 million people online at one time versus 40,000?

Just like on the Wii Cod games, you'll always find a match.

Card Boy

Banned
Just got a copy early :D

You can ask me questions if u want.

* 360 or PS3?
* If 360 did you get any bonus content besides Nuketown (like XBL time cards, avatars?)
* Mappable buttons?
* Does it have local search? (like by your country)
* Pics plz!?
* What game modes or does the OP cover it all?
* Does it perform better than Black Ops 1?
* Does the image quality look good?

Jackpot

Banned
beta & OP list the future weapons but here are the guns you use in the past events:

Rifles Fal | Galil | M16A1 | AKM
SMGs MP5A2 | AKS-74U | Uzi
Shotties Olympia over and under | SPAS 12
LMGs RPD | M60 | Minigun (same one as Vorkuta)
Snipers M82A1 | SVD Dragunov
Pistols 1911 | Makarov PM | Browning HP
Launchers RPG7 | Stinger | MM1

You didn't happen to get it in NYC, right? Enjoy the game :)

I'm hoping some of the stores that usually release early here in NYC get their shipment this weekend. Beyond excited for this game.

Haha I actually did get it in NYC. I can tell you how in PM, but it'll cost you more than $60. Nothing I deem outrageous though like the people buying it for $500-$800.

You know that sound when bullets hits the body, my quesion is if that sound is in the Campaign too.

Zombie Question
Tranzit good map?
Does the 4 stops feel fluid from stop to stop?
Old School zombie setup still good?
What is survival like?
New weapons in the box/on the wall
new zombies?

* 360 or PS3?
* If 360 did you get any bonus content besides Nuketown (like XBL time cards, avatars?)
* Mappable buttons?
* Does it have local search? (like by your country)
* Pics plz!?
* What game modes or does the OP cover it all?
* Does it perform better than Black Ops 1?
* Does the image quality look good?

And I'll begin playing around 8pm ET because I'm letting my brother play xbox right now. I'll answer all your questions then.

Some things I already know answers to:
1) No local search.
Twitta said:
DeveneyInteractive: Yo Vahn? It's next week.... Any news on the Locale Preference? That will determine how many copies I pre-order.

David Vonderhaar: Yes. It is in and being tested. Not region based anymore. Latency/ping based exclusively.

2)It comes with a 2 day trial along with the Nuketown stuff.

3)OP has covered all the game modes. Only thing new so far is Hardpoint and Multi-Team variants of game modes.

4) I know there is a new zombie called a denizen which seems to tackle you and makes scratch marks on your screen. I forget which button it is to fight em off though. (Similar to survival mode dogs)

Everything else I'll get to later in a new post.

Jack_AG

Banned
Is this HD? Seems noticeably crappy looking compared to the 360 version. Unfortunately my friends and siblings are getting it on PS3 so I will stick with that version.

Also from those 360 streak videos above, I didn't know kills you get from streak awards give you points again. At least the points you get are dramatically reduced. Also cool in that PS3 Demolition video is you get a bonus for defending.

That video is far from HD. Just look at the text on-screen. Horrid to watch even at 1080p.

Edit: The 360 version on his channel looks just as bad, too. I'm assuming video capture he is using is sub-par.

Prelithe

Anyone know if there are any deals for the PC version? I should have picked it up when Amazon had that glitched 20% coupon :(

Xux

Executioner is a pistol that fires shotgun shells, I think it's meant to be weak unless you are short/point blank range. It seems to kill at 1-2 shots from there, but 5+ otherwise.
I've heard the Tac-45's a two shot kill up close and the B23R's a one burst kill with a pretty fast RoF, tho, so it definitely seems to be kind of lacking.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Anyone able to arrange for me to pay them to gift it to me over steam? I'm in Australia and would prefer the cost of the US version. If anyone could please help at a reasonable fee that would be most appreciated thanks. I'm paypal verified. : - )

Popparoks

So can anyone explain this scorestreak to me? Does it accumulate with the score you get? Can you get your streaks again? Can you lose it?

Mik_Pad

Banned
So can anyone explain this scorestreak to me? Does it accumulate with the score you get? Can you get your streaks again? Can you lose it?
Scorestreaks accumulate by killing or playing the objective, once you get your top scorestreak it starts again but you can't have two of the same scorestreak unless you get it from a carepackage, scorestreak reset when you die.

PandaL

Alright, so I'm answering some questions here:

1) There are now hitmarkers in campaign; however, there is no hitmarker sound.

2) There are no mappable buttons.

3) Tranzit is a gamemode and Green Run is the map. I like it so far. It's huge and I've played it twice. First time i made it to round 6 i believe, but it's crazy how much stuff you can do. I found several buildables. For example,
You can build a fan like thing in the spawn room, which helps you open doors to get out for free and helps open doors in other areas. I also built an assault shield with a car door and a ladder, but it won't let you put it down in a corner so you're invincible lol. (Yes i tried.) I also found a bus upgrade and several other parts to things that i didn't piece together
and even after all that, I didn't even get to see the whole map yet. I'm so excited for the easter eggs on the map as well. So far, it's awesome.

4) To answer the smoothness question, everything is fine when riding the bus lol.

EDIT: Forgot 5) The graphics look amazing. The campaign looks hot and for once the multiplayer maps aren't all brown looking. They look nice imo. I only played 4 maps though lol. The ship one (Hijacked) is just like highrise layout wise. It is symmetrical and has 3 ways to get to the other side, or you can take an underground path just like highrise. There's an upstairs on both sides similar to nuketown. That map was very fun against bots, but it seems winning offense demolition on that map will be near impossible.

PandaL

Alright, so I'm answering some questions here:

1) There are now hitmarkers in campaign; however, there is no hitmarker sound.

2) There are no mappable buttons.

3) Tranzit is a gamemode and Green Run is the map. I like it so far. It's huge and I've played it twice. First time i made it to round 6 i believe, but it's crazy how much stuff you can do. I found several buildables. For example,
You can build a fan like thing in the spawn room, which helps you open doors to get out for free and helps open doors in other areas. I also built an assault shield with a car door and a ladder, but it won't let you put it down in a corner so you're invincible lol. (Yes i tried.) I also found a bus upgrade and several other parts to things that i didn't piece together
and even after all that, I didn't even get to see the whole map yet. I'm so excited for the easter eggs on the map as well. So far, it's awesome.

4) To answer the smoothness question, everything is fine when riding the bus lol.

EDIT: Forgot 5) The graphics look amazing. The campaign looks hot and for once the multiplayer maps aren't all brown looking. They look nice imo. I only played 4 maps though lol. The ship one (Hijacked) is just like highrise layout wise. It is symmetrical and has 3 ways to get to the other side, or you can take an underground path just like highrise. There's an upstairs on both sides similar to nuketown. That map was very fun against bots, but it seems winning offense demolition on that map will be near impossible.

Could you please let me know if you're able to shoot the enemy UAV with Assault Rifle as you could in MW2 ?

Could you please let me know if you're able to shoot the enemy UAV with Assault Rifle as you could in MW2 ?

Sorry, forgot about that one. I know you already posted.

I'll test it in split screen tomorrow cause the bots are never gonna get a UAV lol. When i was playing before against my brother and bots, he was able to shoot down my chopper (Idr exact name but it's a high killstreak chopper that follows you) It works better than the AH6 too. Anyway i'll get back to you tomorrow on your question.

nickcv

i don't know if this was already posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ck-ops-2-in-game-live-streaming-is-to-youtube

Black Ops 2 will let players live stream gameplay on YouTube directly from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 - a first of its kind, according to Activision. No mention was made of the PC or Wii U versions.

We already knew Black Ops 2 would let players live stream multiplayer League Play games, but now we know to which website (word on the street was Activision was close to striking a deal with Twitch). You can also stream your webcam and audio commentary while playing.

If you watch on Elite you'll see the player card of the streamer as well as class loadouts, recent match data and career stats across COD games supported by Elite.

Lunchbox

Banned
i missed out on the newegg deal

any other deals on this anywhere? like some $ off or giftcard, not the nuketown crap that everyone has. i know microsoft store has free 1600 points with it, but they are sold out.

CozMick

Banned
Help me out guys, I'm buying this exclusively for Zombies, how many maps are pre-installed for Survival only?

Thanks.

Top Bottom