• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Xux

So who else thinks the following score streaks will use the gamepad screen on the Wii U?

RC-XD
Sentry gun
Dragonfire
AGR
Lodestar
I like how the AGR breaks out of it's package by itself. I doubt it'd be too effective but it'd be neat to chuck the beacon into the enemy spawn and see if it wrecked havoc.

Very excited for this. I played the heck out of COD4, didnt enjoy MW2, loved Black Ops, skipped MW3 all together which seemed like it was a good choice.

Anyone know if its worth playing the black ops campaign if I am intending to play the black ops 2 campaign? I found the first one rather boring and gave up on it, stuck to multiplayer.

MrDaravon

The right title for the OT!

Outside of some of the very general stuff and changes like the Pick 10 system I've been pretty much out of the loop for info on the game, I think I'm just going to wait and go in blind at this point. MW3 was largely a mess, but I'm willing to give this a shot day 1 based on Treyarch's track record. Hope it delivers.

LkPr

I'm confused ... I have yet to pre-order this game but if I do so now from gamestop will I get any extras (such as the 2025 nuketown map)? And what about from Bestbuy?

Nuketown 2025 and double XP launch weekend are included in all first-run copies of the game. Gamestop just wants to make you think it's exclusive to them, and only for preorders.

Tamanon

Banned
Nuketown 2025 and double XP launch weekend are included in all first-run copies of the game. Gamestop just wants to make you think it's exclusive to them, and only for preorders.

OK, I was wondering how the Nuketown 2025 thing would work. Pre-ordered anyways, because....why not?

FINALBOSS

Banned
So what's the word on spawns in MP?

Watching that snipering video someone posted a few posts up makes it look like fucking dogshit and that worries me.

Xux

So what's the word on spawns in MP?

Watching that snipering video someone posted a few posts up makes it look like fucking dogshit and that worries me.
Seems hard to tell from that video due to the 9v1 teams and the player's staying in the middle of a map that may be pretty small.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The swarm looks quite deadly in open spaces.

Warthog looks as good as the stealth bomber in MW3!

And Orbital + Dogs + Swarm is the hands-down ultimate passive aggressive killstreak combo. Know where EVERYONE is, dogs kill people indoors, swarm kills everyone outdoors.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Warthog looks as good as the stealth bomber in MW3!

And Orbital + Dogs + Swarm is the hands-down ultimate passive aggressive killstreak combo. Know where EVERYONE is, dogs kill people indoors, swarm kills everyone outdoors.
So the dogs shoot a swarm of bees out of their mouths?

My biggest concern is about that exclusive pre-order map. In a small market like Australia (where I live), it'll probably be a case of not enough people having that map (eventually) so I'd never get to play it anyway.
EVERYONE should have access to ALL maps IMO. Its dumb to divide a community, especially one as small as Aus.
Im hoping BO2 will give me a similar level of fun that MW2 did (my favorite online game ever). MW2 was pure fun for me. Crazy killstreaks (which werent cheap once you figured out you may need to shoot them down occasionally), riot shield trolling and a number of maps I really liked.
BO1 felt a little stale and almost amateurish next to MW2, for me.
MW3 had small maps where there was hardly any room for strategy at all. Just chaos and spawn killing. I was really disappointed with MW3 in particular. Though its absence from my gaming time encouraged me to put more time into Gears 3, which is an amazing game (as long as your team doesnt suck).
I quit playing the last two CoD games before the first map DLC dropped because of the aforementioned shortcomings.

Card Boy

Banned
Hahaha.
No.

Play COD4 again.

- Martydom
- Kill-streaks stacking on other kill-streaks
- Juggernaut perk
- Stopping Power perk
- Grenades have too much blast radius
- Grenades don't bounce the way they do in other CODS
- Noob-Tube galore
- Big shitty XP bar down the bottom
- No host migration on consoles
- Campers shitloads of Claymores
- Infinite spawning enemies
- Quick-scopers

The only thing that peeves me off about Black Ops was the performance in multilayer and C4 Car. It's a shame they added back quick-scoping in MW3 and now BO2.

Play COD4 again.

- Martydom
- Juggernaut perk
- Stopping Power perk
- Noob-Tube galore
- Quick-scopers

The only thing that peeves me off about Black Ops was the performance in multilayer and C4 Car. It's a shame they added back quick-scoping in MW3 and now BO2.

I'm playing it almost everyday. Despite all the problem you've listed (and I do agree with them) CoD4 has one significant advantage: Dedicated Servers. I don't really want to reply under your every statement, but trust me, I haven't seen marty / noobtube / last stand etc. for months! Community has grown up, I think.

Card Boy

Banned
I think the better maps make COD4 preferable to people (including yourself?), feature & gameplay wise i think Black Ops is the better game in that respect. Opinions are like arseholes (everybody has one)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The OT says the Wii u version can play on the gamepad for splitscreen, can you use it for campaign or multiplayer by yourself? Would definitely get the wii u version over the 360 version if this were the case.

CryptiK

Play COD4 again.

- Martydom
- Juggernaut perk
- Stopping Power perk
- Noob-Tube galore
- Quick-scopers

Hey but it had early and competent mod tools that could create new maps and mods. So yes COD4 was the last good COD for PC

Card Boy

Banned
Unless your American i probably wouldn't bother with the Wii U versions of COD until 2014/2015. There is after all no-user-base for the Wii U (literally).

Does anyone know whether Amazon allow preloads for customers who pre-order the PC digital download? A little Google searching shows that they did have preloads for MW3 last year, but I can't tell whether they just put up the client or they actually sent keys that registered on Steam.

Victrix

*beard*
As interesting as the CoD < CoD > CoD discussion is, here's a different topic to whine about!

I really dislike how they've handled map packs in CoD.

Splitting the multiplayer community is _never_ a good thing, and selling map packs as a subscription and as individual packs is guaranteed to do exactly that.

In general I'd rather see a move towards free maps and monetization via cosmetic or time enhancing boosts (ie, xp boosts etc), rather than monetizing the core game content.

Microsoft/343 seem to have figured this out to some degree, because of the inclusion of the map pack in the LE, there is a guaranteed userbase for those maps that will always be present, and the comparatively low price for the map pack makes it appealing even to me and my friends, who are almost universally anti-pay-for-maps (and we're huge CoD fans).

What's more frustrating is that while CoD (and Halo, and a few other games) have figured out that hey, once you have really excellent core gameplay, you can simply refine and iterate on that and release new versions (to the endless derision of the anti-sequel brigade), what they have not done is carry forward previous content, which is a huge waste of time and effort.

How awesome would it be to have not 10 or 20 maps for the newest CoD, but a huge roster of all previous maps? Yes, in some cases they would require art asset updates, but it would also give a chance to fix any really egregious issues that popped up on the map, and it would still take less effort than remaking a map from scratch.

Running popular game mode playlists that had huge maplists, and playlists that had a 'filtered' list that selected all community favorites based on global voting (hell, even an underdog list that had the less popular maps in it) would be awesome.

What's obnoxious is that they've done this piecemeal, by porting forward a few maps, but not even close to all, so many excellent maps from the past are now lost, which is a huge shame. Playing old maps with new gameplay is already a refresh, and if the map was a favorite because its layout played really well in many modes, that will still be true.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the f2p shooters on the PC more or less have this exact issue cracked, as instead of releasing 'sequels', they simply continuously update and patch the same core game, constantly adding refining the gameplay, while at the same time adding new content - new maps, new weapons, new classes, new vehicles, new stuff.

This is exactly what is occuring with the franchised games on the consoles, but instead of seeing a smooth and constant iteration on the formula (which is more nimble and more able to respond to both problems and praise), we see a twelve month gap that is a twenty four month gap in internal development.

This results in oddities like simple ui or gameplay features that are an improvement being missed in the other yearly release, which feels really awkward to take a few steps forward in one area, and a few steps back in another area that was already improved.

This is another area 343/MS seem to be tackling with Halo 4 and the release of Spartan Ops, plus the promise of 'more substantial' title updates. Obviously, they are very uniquely situated, and the same process wouldn't be doable by all other companies. On top of that, I don't think the current gen consoles are well suited to the sort of continuous development that something like Tribes Ascend, World of Tanks, Mechwarrior Online, Planetside 2, Hawken, Blacklight, TF2, etc can pull off.

But I would love to see that happen on the next gen consoles, for whatever game turns out to be the CoD style games, where the core gameplay is continuously refined over time in response to community feedback, but the amount of content simply grows over time, instead of resetting in these completely arbitrary yearly cycles that are divorced from the community due to their development cycles.

--

tldr: Paying for map packs sucks, fragmenting the community with map packs sucks even more, and lengthy development jumps instead of smooth development upgrades are frustrating.

PandaL

Wow, really? I loved TAR. Great news!

Yeah I also loved TAR from MW2. I'm also looking forward to using Vector from MW2, I love that gun.

I'm an idiot. I thought [3arc] was some clan putting out these vids.

Wondering why they were such shit, lol.

lol

Edit:

My gamestop receipt has no code.

And i just read this- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43868783&postcount=737

:/

The nuke town DLC code comes along with the game. Check this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7ERtBF0rg

Paying for map packs sucks, fragmenting the community with map packs sucks even more, and lengthy development jumps instead of smooth development upgrades are frustrating.
Activision likes money. Can you confidently say that they'd make more by making map packs free? Somehow I doubt that if they only charged for cosmetic items, or whatever most F2P games do, they'd make more money.

Shadybiz

My biggest concern is about that exclusive pre-order map. In a small market like Australia (where I live), it'll probably be a case of not enough people having that map (eventually) so I'd never get to play it anyway.
EVERYONE should have access to ALL maps IMO. Its dumb to divide a community, especially one as small as Aus.

Couldn't agree more. I play with a group of 5 other guys. 3 of them preordered, 2 didn't. My friend who is related to the 2 who didn't said that they planned on getting it a couple of weeks after release. I told him to tell them to get their asses to gamestop (or SOMEwhere), and preorder, because I didn't know how the party system would work if 2 people didn't have the map.

Real pain in the ass.

Top Bottom