• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Swarna

Played the PS4 version at a buddy's house and it definitely a different game than on PC like a poster mentioned in the last page. You pretty much get killed instantly when shot at on PC while on PS4 you still have some breathing room some times. The way people move is different, too.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. COD4 was the last time I played two versions of CoD (360 and then PC after) and it was very different back then, too. Like the M16 was considered to be the top-tier assault rifle on 360 but on PC it was the AK-47.

RedAssedApe

Banned
headphones definitely give you an advantage over people playing on speakers (unless they have a great setup)

but i honestly don't think there is THAT big of an advantage between different types of headphones. if you're using that excuse for doing poorly in pubs you probably need to get better at the game or change up your tactics.

Victrix

*beard*
Does Dead silence kill headphone advantage?

It seems insanely unfair that people with better headphones can hear you coming

It's actually even worse than that, the way the audio mix is, on my home theater I can't hear footsteps for shit and I have to crank the volume 50% higher than any other game I play just to hear the game volume at a decent level.

With headphones I can hear people coming easily, and with Awareness/DS, sprinters sound like elephants.

Does Dead silence kill headphone advantage?

It seems insanely unfair that people with better headphones can hear you coming

It should, but Awareness increases the noise regardless if you have DS or not which is the dumbest thing ever since noise is crucial in S&D.

Don't agree with headsets being unfair. I did Gamebattles with older CoDs without a headset and never had a problem soundwhoring. Though, there were other noises people made like picking up ammo from weapons on the ground, fall damage noise, reloading, and other smaller noises. Then again, the audio mixes are not that good in Treyarch games, so that may be different here.

I've been playing with a headset because I have roommates, but I wouldn't be surprised if the audio is significantly worse on speakers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It should, but Awareness increases the noise regardless if you have DS or not which is the dumbest thing ever since noise is crucial in S&D.

Don't agree with headsets being unfair. I did Gamebattles with older CoDs without a headset and never had a problem soundwhoring. Though, there were other noises people made like picking up ammo from weapons on the ground, fall damage noise, reloading, and other smaller noises.

agreed. i didn't "discover" headphones or even know what sound whoring was until black ops 2 and i generally held my own ok up to that point. my k/d and general gameplay didn't make some type of substantial jump once i got a decent pair.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Dat hipfire RNG

iuEWXPJ.gif

agreed. i didn't "discover" headphones or even know what sound whoring was until black ops 2 and i generally held my own ok up to that point. my k/d and general gameplay didn't make some type of substantial jump once i got a decent pair.

Same here. It saves me from a few deaths and nets me a couple more kills, but I still perform the same more or less.

Randam

yeah, think I'll delete the MP portion on steam. it is getting frustrating.
even on console I start to notice my age, but here?

I see him on the radar, I see his footsteps/an indicater with the perk and I hear him coming with awareness.
so I start pre firing and he just walks into my line of side, starts strafing left and right and kills me.

Can't hit anything here.

Randam

Same here. It saves me from a few deaths and nets me a couple more kills, but I still perform the same more or less.

wen't from a 1k/d player to a 3 k/d player in cod4, w@w, mw2 and bo1.
but those games were a little it slower, so I don't know.

Why do I suck so bad at team deathmatch on this game?! I was at least decent on other COD games. Frustrating.

Try using different weapons/attachments/perks until you find something that gels. I find sometimes I will stick to using something bad for way too long when I should switch things up instead.

I will say if you like the new movement afterburner is a must have, also blast suppressor is probably a great crutch perk to get you going. Can't go wrong with fast hands. I'd avoid going silent until get good with whatever you're using since suppressors hurt range. Try using launchers and take out air support for easy points to your killstreak. I'd also pick the hcxd over the uav, uavs die almost immediately. The hcxd can scout, kill, distract, a fantastic tool that has all the same movement options as a player. Care package is a great second choice.

Kysen

Is there a perk to stay off the minimap?(not firing) I miss this so much from MW2. Seems every time I die they were expecting me to show up.

Victrix

*beard*
Is there a perk to stay off the minimap?(not firing) I miss this so much from MW2. Seems every time I die they were expecting me to show up.

Ghost, unlocks late

Easier to just carry a Blackcell and use Engineer (which is insanely good to begin with)

Quick

Banned
I'm slowly getting better at MP. I think it's just the matter of learning the map better. I was second place in one match!

I like jump boosting then immediately slide boost when I hit the ground. New habit I seem to have gotten into.

smisk

I'm doing alright on PC. My k/d is still only 0.6, but I've had some good matches today and still feel like I'm contributing in domination even when my ratio isn't great.

Don't agree with headsets being unfair. I did Gamebattles with older CoDs without a headset and never had a problem soundwhoring. Though, there were other noises people made like picking up ammo from weapons on the ground, fall damage noise, reloading, and other smaller noises. Then again, the audio mixes are not that good in Treyarch games, so that may be different here.

I've been playing with a headset because I have roommates, but I wouldn't be surprised if the audio is significantly worse on speakers.

Will any simple pair of headsets do?

i wouldnt want to buy something expensive

And there isnt a counter? Dead silence ought to silence footsteps, no?

I think sometimes it is but that only works for looking in their direction right? I know it seems to work even if you don't have line of sight to the person but in some kill feeds it's more a sound thing I think.

It shows you on your minimap where they're located, front/back/left/right, you can be looking up at the sky, it doesn't matter, once they're close enough you get notified. It's gotten me so many kills that would have otherwise been a death without even seeing it coming. I hear a beep, look at the minimap and I start shooting before I even pop around the corner.

Will any simple pair of headsets do?

i wouldnt want to buy something expensive

And there isnt a counter? Dead silence ought to silence footsteps, no?

I have the Playstation Gold headset and it works just fine. I would find some around the $100 range and have decent build quality since the Golds have that issue.

Dead Silence does silence your footsteps, but Awareness counters it which makes no sense, imo.

Those days are long gone due to complaints, sadly. Ghost will hide you but only if your sprinting, but it does not work when ADS or staying still. In all honestly it's garbage and useless.

Just use a launcher to take down the UAV and net yourself some scorestreak points, or use blackhat to steal it.

Also, UAV isn't the issue; it's the Awareness perk and every player using a headset. Those two alone are the greatest advantages in MP.

I have the Playstation Gold headset and it works just fine. I would find some around the $100 range and have decent build quality since the Golds have that issue.

Dead Silence does silence your footsteps, but Awareness counters it which makes no sense, imo.

Wait... Does awareness really counter it?! That's shitty if true..... The footsteps even with any of my stereo-through-DSS.... Simulated 5.1... Or simulated 7.2 headphones can barely detect regular enemy footsteps over the ambient noise and gunfire. Dead Silence should make you absolutely silent to all.

If they just kept it how it was in MW2 where Ninja Pro guaranteed you silent footsteps and Sitrep Pro only worked for non-Ninja Pro users, it would be perfect.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It shows you on your minimap where they're located, front/back/left/right, you can be looking up at the sky, it doesn't matter, once they're close enough you get notified. It's gotten me so many kills that would have otherwise been a death without even seeing it coming. I hear a beep, look at the minimap and I start shooting before I even pop around the corner.

Oh I see, I thought it was just if they were looking in your direction.

What's the difference between the two indicators? Sometimes you get a red cone emitting from your character on the minimap and sometimes an entire side of the minimap will glow red.

How do u feel about ghost requiring movement to work? Seems sort of lame since ghost helped counter overzealous rushers

It's lame but that's the way the game is now. Perks like "Cold-Blooded" and "Assassin" were geared toward the old MW gameplay style where it was asymmetrical and you could be that one guy who was a super turd hiding and picking people off one by one until the opposing team banded together to flush you out.

Every since BO the series went nuts with gameplay balancing, likely because MW2 was severely unbalanced (which is what made it good, IMO).

Soundwhoring with headphones and Awareness is the new Cold-Blooded / Assassin from the classic MW days.

Wait... Does awareness really counter it?! That's shitty if true..... The footsteps even with any of my stereo-through-DSS.... Simulated 5.1... Or simulated 7.2 headphones can barely detect regular enemy footsteps over the ambient noise and gunfire. Dead Silence should make you absolutely silent to all.

I've read from some that Awareness does pick up DS users, but its a bit more muffled than non-DS users which I still don't like because in 1v1 SnD cases, the Awareness user can still hear you. I can also go test it out in a couple hours to see myself, but they also did this in BO2, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is totally confirmed.

What's the difference between the two indicators? Sometimes you get a red cone emitting from your character on the minimap and sometimes an entire side of the minimap will glow red.

I never noticed the red cone you speak of, I'll have to look for it. But the entire side of the minimap glowing red is showing you where they're located. Right side - to the right of you, Bottom - behind you etc.

Probably you are really close or he's just directly below or above you.

Bishop89

It's lame but that's the way the game is now. Perks like "Cold-Blooded" and "Assassin" were geared toward the old MW gameplay style where it was asymmetrical and you could be that one guy who was a super turd hiding and picking people off one by one until the opposing team banded together to flush you out.

Every since BO the series went nuts with gameplay balancing, likely because MW2 was severely unbalanced (which is what made it good, IMO).

Soundwhoring with headphones and Awareness is the new Cold-Blooded / Assassin from the classic MW days.
Preach brother.

Mw2 was the most fun I've had with cod, or any fps bar cs and the original cod, and that was because how hectic it was and how it allowed for ALL playstyles. Then ppl started bitching cause they didn't like getting owned.

All I'm going to say is that black ops 3 is the best cod since black ops 1 due to the freedom in playstyle as the didn't try and make the other gun classes not named assault rifle / SMG fucking useless and the maps are way way WAY better designed then the last 4-5 cods.

I read just before from a user here that ghost only works if you SPRINT. Tell me that's wrong and it works when you're running normally?

Victrix

*beard*
Ghost works if you're moving. It might also work on SMGs with Stock while ADS. And while you're planting/defusing a bomb.

If you stop or ADS, it fades after a second or two.

Really it's primarily useful for playing aggressively in close proximity to the enemy team, where a UAV coming up can get you killed immediately. If you're not pushing their spawn (which is a bad idea in a lot of modes anyway, given how twitchy the spawns are), you can just blow all their UAVs out of the sky with a launcher.

Preach brother.

Mw2 was the most fun I've had with cod, or any fps bar cs and the original cod, and that was because how hectic it was and how it allowed for ALL playstyles. Then ppl started bitching cause they didn't like getting owned.

All I'm going to say is that black ops 3 is the best cod since black ops 1 due to the freedom in playstyle as the didn't try and make the other gun classes not named assault rifle / SMG fucking useless and the maps are way way WAY better designed then the last 4-5 cods.

I read just before from a user here that ghost only works if you SPRINT. Tell me that's wrong and it works when you're running normally?

MW2 to this day remains my favorite game of all time. Someone here on GAF summed it up perfectly as "it was the best of time, it was the worst of time." How very true.

It was the pinnacle of the series and it's chaotic nature did not sit well with the non-hardcore player who was in it just to have fun. The complaints rolled in and the series has changed drastically as a result.

The biggest example of this is Ghosts. People bitched so much about 24/7 air support in MW2/3 that IW did the unthinkable and used the most boring killstreaks in the CoD history, further compounded by adding so many buildings that it nullified all air-based killstreaks.

I miss those days. The days where hearing "Enemy AC-130 in the air!" struck fear in the heart of players and made them scramble for cover. Even better was launching a 105mm shell into a window and killing everyone who thought they were safe inside.

I wish there was a medal for getting a kill in the water against someone else who is in the water too. Unless I'm missing it, and there is one.

Bishop89

MW2 to this day remains my favorite game of all time. Someone here on GAF summed it up perfectly as "it was the best of time, it was the worst of time." How very true.

It was the pinnacle of the series and it's chaotic nature did not sit well with the non-hardcore player who was in it just to have fun. The complaints rolled in and the series has changed drastically as a result.

The biggest example of this is Ghosts. People bitched so much about 24/7 air support in MW2/3 that IW did the unthinkable and used the most boring killstreaks in the CoD history, further compounded by adding so many buildings that it nullified all air-based killstreaks.

I miss those days. The days where hearing "Enemy AC-130 in the air!" struck fear in the heart of players and made them scramble for cover. Even better was launching a 105mm shell into a window and killing everyone who thought they were safe inside.
Pred missile
Harrier
AC 130
(repeat 2-3 times in a match)

Good times

Top Bottom