• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Skittles

Man we need a GAF community for CoD zombies I have no one to play zombies with and the new map is on the way
I'm always down for some zombies. What country do you live in?

Finally done with with the fucking haymaker gold camo. Getting headshots with that thing was god damn absurd

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
People have already been accusing me of aimbotting, hacking, and lagging (I have 17ms ping and 0% packet loss). I missed the CoD community.

BVcKifs.png

I'm jelly! My normal is 80ms and I'm lucky if it reaches 40ms. :(

I can only imagine how awesome it'd be if I was getting 17ms. Haha!

My experience in Cod has dramatically gotten better recently after getting a new router with some nifty options on it, and turning on it's QoS( Quality of Service) option. Basically a thing called Bluffer bloat has been screwing me over for god knows how long, and QoS fixes that. Doing that fix has dramatically improved my experience in not just CoD, but in every other online game too. Anybody having issues should look into fixing bluffer bloat(via custom firmware or a router with a QoS option on it already) because it adds a whole lot of latency to your connection; fixing this won't fix everything with the game, but it'll make things a whole lot better at least. I have to be averaging a 3.5 k/d solo since I've fixed this 2 weeks ago.

I've been able to use different guns to greater effect too now. The Pharo really is a beast. I'm pulling down 30 and 40 kills in tdm pretty frequently with this gun( mostly on Combine since that's all anybody votes for).

your ping times aren't one static number, they vary depending on which server you connect to, how far, etc.

Whoa! I might get one if so. Got any suggestions? I originally was going to get a Netduma, but the price is a tad too much -- and I don't want to spend that much just for CoD. I mean, my other main FPS is Battlefield and that one has dedicated servers so connections are almost always never an issue.

You don't even need a good headset, Awareness is so good in this game it will work with any shitty pair of headphones you have, and even through your TV speakers, especially if you have Dead Silence as well.

DS will be my next perm unlock. I really hate how I hear my footsteps. It's like a lumbering rhino running wild. I mean, I mostly try and sneak past enemy spawns and it's harder to do that when you can't hear any sound except your footsteps. o_O

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DS will be my next perm unlock. I really hate how I hear my footsteps. It's like a lumbering rhino running wild. I mean, I mostly try and sneak past enemy spawns and it's harder to do that when you can't hear any sound except your footsteps. o_O

Funny how, despite those noisy footsteps in first person, without Awareness it can be extremely hard to hear other player's footsteps until they're just about rubbing butts with you.

your ping times aren't one static number, they vary depending on which server you connect to, how far, etc.
Can't speak for the poster you quote but my ping is almost always 17ms, there's only small jitter to 16 or 18 but it for the best part flat lined at 17ms when I check the menu.

That's lag spikes aside, naturally, would be nice if there was a ping meter in the HUD some place so you didn't need to go to the menu.

Whoa! I might get one if so. Got any suggestions? I originally was going to get a Netduma, but the price is a tad too much -- and I don't want to spend that much just for CoD. I mean, my other main FPS is Battlefield and that one has dedicated servers so connections are almost always never an issue.

I don't know much about routers myself, so I got this at the suggestion of someone else

Xiaomi MI Router

I meant to flash the firmware to something else, but the stock firmware is all you need. It gives you a QoS option, plus the option to manually change your bandwidth to something lower ( higher download speeds can help contribute to bluffer bloat sometimes.Yeah I know, that's kind of screwed up to know.) The router initially comes in all Chinese though, but you can set it all to English in one of the drop down menus, and when you do, the router is very easy to use.

I looked at a Netduma too, but I didn't want to spend that much.

So there are hacks and aimbots in PC version now. Seeing people dropping 70-90 kills while dying 5 times a game isn't uncommon.

Any ideas of Activision is going to bother cleaning out that trash? I can't seem to find any report option in the game.

Metfanant

Finally got my 100 headshots with the haymaker and the BRM last night. both took over 1100 kills. I did get last 7 Haymaker headshots in one Free for All game because it was just easier to find people in that mode and most encounters are close quarters.

Only Brecci left now to gold to get my Diamond camos for Shotgun. Still have three LMGs to go and man i am dreading it. Only have 20 headshots for 500 kills with the Gorgon. This is going to be long and painful.

play hardcore...you'll cut the amount of kills needed for camos drastically..i got gold for all of the AR's and LMG's well before 1000 kills, let alone just the 100 headshots...

Got diamond ARs tonight. Not really sure if I'm going to try and get diamond for anything else. High caliber attachment made ARs really easy and non-grindy for the most part. Everything else seems like it'll be a pain lol.

Here are my stats after finishing all the camo challenges for AR
diamondAR.png

Performance-wise I think they're all pretty usable depending on the connection and opponents. When I have a shit host against a bunch of head glitchers I have to default back to the M8 though :\

like i said...HC makes a world of difference for headshots

Can't speak for the poster you quote but my ping is almost always 17ms, there's only small jitter to 16 or 18 but it for the best part flat lined at 17ms when I check the menu.

That's lag spikes aside, naturally, would be nice if there was a ping meter in the HUD some place so you didn't need to go to the menu.

Well if you're connecting to the same in game server over and over again, then it shouldn't change up to much, but I was speaking in general; you won't get the same ping times when connecting to a server 50 miles away, compared to one 500 miles away.

anybody who is interested in seeing how much bluffer bloat their connection has, go here
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Anything less than an "A" grade isn't ideal really.

Last night I loaded into a game of Domination on Combine (PS4) and the game was stuttering so bad it was almost at standstill. Has this happened to anyone else?

Ensoul

Last night I loaded into a game of Domination on Combine (PS4) and the game was stuttering so bad it was almost at standstill. Has this happened to anyone else?

Not to that degree but I have had the same issues from time to time. My ping almost always always between 15-35 with no data loss so I am not sure it's on my end.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Funny how, despite those noisy footsteps in first person, without Awareness it can be extremely hard to hear other player's footsteps until they're just about rubbing butts with you.

I'm one of those people that can't hear shit. Granted, I rarely game with headphones on, but even with 'em on, I don't think I hear the footsteps much. Maybe if I sit in a corner and try really hard?

I don't know much about routers myself, so I got this at the suggestion of someone else

Xiaomi MI Router

I meant to flash the firmware to something else, but the stock firmware is all you need. It gives you a QoS option, plus the option to manually change your bandwidth to something lower ( higher download speeds can help contribute to bluffer bloat sometimes.Yeah I know, that's kind of screwed up to know.) The router initially comes in all Chinese though, but you can set it all to English in one of the drop down menus, and when you do, the router is very easy to use.

How do you turn on that QoS thing? Might get this as well. I bought a Xiaomi pad and it's good; definitely worth the $$$.

What the heck is buffer bloat? o_O

Well if you're connecting to the same in game server over and over again, then it shouldn't change up to much, but I was speaking in general; you won't get the same ping times when connecting to a server 50 miles away, compared to one 500 miles away.

anybody who is interested in seeing how much bluffer bloat their connection has, go here
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Anything less than an "A" grade isn't ideal really.

Tried that site. Erm, got a grade of:

Buffer Bloat: B (got an A earlier)
Quality: D (Got C earlier twice)
Speed: B

I know my net sucks, but this means I'm getting shafted when it comes to one-on-one encounters, right?

You mean like this? https://twitter.com/excaliburps/status/686283539793317888 If so, yeah, happens to others, too. No idea why, but for me, it happens when I pick a gun up.

The stuttering seemed like a framerate issue and not a lag issue, the start menu showed my connection was fine and the menu wasn't stuttering. It happened as soon as I loaded into the game, I don't know if it was happening to anyone else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
play hardcore...you'll cut the amount of kills needed for camos drastically..i got gold for all of the AR's and LMG's well before 1000 kills, let alone just the 100 headshots...

Hardcore TDM is way too slow. People camp more, games take longer and everything chest up is a one shot kill. I didnt have trouble with the ARs, finished all of them in well under 1000 kills with the exception of HVK but that was my fault because i removed the high calibur attachment thinking it only increases the headshot damage to 1.2x instead of the 1.6x Drift0r said.

So now that I am working on headshots for LMGs, I cannot run and gun due to how slow they go ADS. And then I have no time to aim to the head because of how quickly you can die in that mode. And when I do get the aim up, the one shot kill to the chest means the recoil doesnt come into effect.

I have been getting 5+ headshots in a game with the Dingo and I am happy with that. Got 10 headshots last night in Combine lol.

That said, I have been having A LOT of trouble with the Drakon one shot one kills. Getting headshots with it is a pain in the ass and I feel like a fucking idiot not going to hardcore for it sooner. That gun has destroyed my KDR and Score Per Minute.

How do you turn on that QoS thing? Might get this as well. I bought a Xiaomi pad and it's good; definitely worth the $$$.

What the heck is buffer bloat? o_O

Tried that site. Erm, got a grade of:

Buffer Bloat: B (got an A earlier)
Quality: D (Got C earlier twice)
Speed: B

I know my net sucks, but this means I'm getting shafted when it comes to one-on-one encounters, right?
Here's a pretty good definition of buffebloat from dslreports.com
Bufferbloat is a common problem. It is not something your ISP is going to solve for you. If you are interested in where this grade comes from, what impact it can have, and what you can do about it, please read on.

Bufferbloat is undesirable latency caused by routers and cable/DSL modems buffering more data than necessary. It occurs at any bottleneck in a network: the most common place is the connection between your router/modem and your ISP.

Bufferbloat is undesirable because it interferes with the smooth operation of your network. You may have noticed it when, say, you run a backup to the cloud. Interactive applications become slow to respond. Web browsing, even to relatively uncomplicated pages (like gmail), is annoying. VOIP services may degrade or even stop working. Gamers can lag out. You may have become used to this, perhaps even considered it normal, but now that the problem is understood, there's a solution.

To fix bufferbloat, the router at the bottleneck must control the amount of data that's being sent so that it doesn't build a big queue. To do this, you can (a) turn on some kind of smart queue management (fq_codel, PIE, etc.) in your current router; (b) re-flash the router with new firmware that will do this, or (c) replace the equipment with a more suitable device. Although your ISP is unlikely to help fix any individual case of bufferbloat, they may (and should) be working to introduce better firmware and hardware to reduce the problem for all their customers.

there's also another definition on this page too:
http://callofduty-forums.com/community/threads/improve-your-online-experience-bufferbloat.47279/
Having high bufferbloat is like adding extra ms to your ping times in a sense.So you want a router with QoS and bandwidth management so you can give you system bandwidth priority, stabalize the line, and lower your bandwidth until your router isn't being flooded by packets that it has to buffer( the more packets your router has to buffer, the worse off you'll be). I think most routers with stock firmware have QoS I think, but not many let you manage your bandwidth too.( The Netduma and the router I listed are one of the few.)

B is okay, but you'll notice a difference with A. I had been playing with an F rating in terms of bufferbloat; that's like 1900+ms of extra time added to standard latency, which is insane. Now I get a constant A rating, which has made a hell of a difference.

When you're playing CoD, run the test a few times and see how your connection runs under load, if that bufferbloat rating changes to under a B, you might have big problem.

edit: There aren't to many videos relating bufferbloat to FPS's on youtube, but here's a guy talking about lowering his bandwidth ( throttling his connection down) on his Netduma router in order to solve bufferbloat, and how it improved things for him.

eek5

Yeah I play HC sometimes but I'm not going to switch just to go for some camos. Some people enjoy the grind but I feel like it just sucks the fun out of the game. I mostly went for ARs because all of them are decent and I was close to 100 headshots on all of them already so I just had to bang out the attachment/no-attachment challenges for some easy XP.

I thought I was on to something regarding connection I always seem to play better whilst connected via wifi than cable.

Wired I average 150-200 dl and wifi 50-100.

Something just seems off when I'm wired, just did a bufferbloat test and was graded 'D' on wifi which is a concern so I'm guessing wired would be even worse. No QoS setting on my router which is annoying.

Repo Man

Any quality headphone users ? Whats the best soundmix you've found so far ? I'm sort of hovering between High Boost and Supercrunch at the moment but can't find anything truly decent and meaty unlike in Battlefield 4 which has suberb sounds! Meatyness aside, any sound mixes that can give you an advantage ?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Here's a pretty good definition of buffebloat from dslreports.com

there's also another definition on this page too:
http://callofduty-forums.com/community/threads/improve-your-online-experience-bufferbloat.47279/
Having high bufferbloat is like adding extra ms to your ping times in a sense.So you want a router with QoS and bandwidth management so you can give you system bandwidth priority, stabalize the line, and lower your bandwidth until your router isn't being flooded by packets that it has to buffer( the more packets your router has to buffer, the worse off you'll be). I think most routers with stock firmware have QoS I think, but not many let you manage your bandwidth too.( The Netduma and the router I listed are one of the few.)

B is okay, but you'll notice a difference with A. I had been playing with an F rating in terms of bufferbloat; that's like 1900+ms of extra time added to standard latency, which is insane. Now I get a constant A rating, which has made a hell of a difference.

When you're playing CoD, run the test a few times and see how your connection runs under load, if that bufferbloat rating changes to under a B, you might have big problem.

edit: There aren't to many videos relating bufferbloat to FPS's on youtube, but here's a guy talking about lowering his bandwidth ( throttling his connection down) on his Netduma router in order to solve bufferbloat, and how it improved things for him.

Checked just now while Black Ops 3 (PS4) is in the main menu.

Quality is D. :( Other two are B's. Sigh. Yeah. I'm jelly of you guys who have better 'net and connections. I gather, my stats would be waaaay better. As it stands now, every one-on-one is a tossup. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. Doesn't matter which gun. If only chintzy Activision sprung for dedicated servers across the board, no?

Any quality headphone users ? Whats the best soundmix you've found so far ? I'm sort of hovering between High Boost and Supercrunch at the moment but can't find anything truly decent and meaty unlike in Battlefield 4 which has suberb sounds! Meatyness aside, any sound mixes that can give you an advantage ?

I'm using Supercrunch just because of Internet recommendations. Haven't done any testing with the other sound modes. Sound is so important in this game, and with the DS4 headphone jack, there really isn't any reason not to use headphones, even crappy earbuds will help a TON.

Repo Man

I'm using Supercrunch just because of Internet recommendations. Haven't done any testing with the other sound modes. Sound is so important in this game, and with the DS4 headphone jack, there really isn't any reason not to use headphones, even crappy earbuds will help a TON.

I've been sticking to supercrunch but the headphone mode ( with headphones ! ) is slowly starting to win me over... I need to do more testing though.

[Edit] Just fyi for PC users, update to the latest nvidia drivers if you got an nvidia card. I'm playing an entirely new game here graphicswise! Finally able to max out the game and bump up the render scale to 2016x1256 ( up from 1680 x 1050 which is what my monitor is ) and playing without a frikkin hitch!

I've been sticking to supercrunch but the headphone mode ( with headphones ! ) is slowly starting to win me over... I need to do more testing though.

[Edit] Just fyi for PC users, update to the latest nvidia drivers if you got an nvidia card. I'm playing an entirely new game here graphicswise! Finally able to max out the game and bump up the render scale to 2016x1256 ( up from 1680 x 1050 which is what my monitor is ) and playing without a frikkin hitch!

I'll try "headphone" mode later tonight and report back here. I use good Sony "around the ear" headphones. The big ones.

Skittles

So there are hacks and aimbots in PC version now. Seeing people dropping 70-90 kills while dying 5 times a game isn't uncommon.

Any ideas of Activision is going to bother cleaning out that trash? I can't seem to find any report option in the game.
You should see jorge or gore play, they do that 0retty consistently lol

Nabs

Just find their names in the recent players list (I think it's under social), and hit report. Treyarch has a heavy ban hammer.

You should see jorge or gore play, they do that 0retty consistently lol

Judging by the videos I've seen, the game is a little harder on PC.

Bleh, I haven't played in a long while. I feel so rusty and inadequate when I only get my streaks every two or three games.

I've been struggling to decide whether to stay with the Razorback or go to the Weevil or Kuda.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I really do hope they add some new weapons. I'm missing some of the novelty/alternative playstyle stuff that we had in past games. Ballistic Knives, Shields, Crossbow, that kind of stuff. I guess they've been superseded by specialist weapons for the most part, but those are so much more limited in use.

Skittles

The argus makes shotguns fun again.

Think i found a fix for awareness. What if it just muted all of teammate's sounds instead (walking, running, etc)?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The argus makes shotguns fun again.

Think i found a fix for awareness. What if it just muted all of teammate's sounds instead (walking, runninf, etc)?

Shotguns are A LOT of fun in this game. The trick is not to use the laser sight with most of them. Spray and spam the Brecci and Haymaker and you will melt people at hilarious ranges.

For bonus points, use them with special abilities like Overdrive and Double Armor.

Xiaomi MI Router

Build quality is low, signal quality is very inconsistent, if you have the budget go for a ASUS or Netgear really.

Top Bottom