• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

AW campaign shits on this from great heights.
"ah Mitchell"

Advanced Warfare was the most dull and generic campaign you could possibly get from a COD.
EXO brought nothing to the campaign nor the setting, villain was awful, one memorable character who suddenly disappears for half the game with zero mention.

BO3 at least tries to do something interesting even if the execution is off at times(or completely failed in a certain scene.)

Sojgat

"ah Mitchell"

Advanced Warfare was the most dull and generic campaign you could possibly get from a COD.
EXO brought nothing to the campaign nor the setting, villain was awful, one memorable character who suddenly disappears for half the game with zero mention.

BO3 at least tries to do something interesting even if the execution is off at times(or completely failed in a certain scene.)

Best encounter design, mission variety, and tactical freedom. I liked the story, but putting it aside AW is still the best playing COD campaign.

Femto.

Tried playing BO2 story today, I've had it on steam for years now, and I couldn't get passed mission two due to how boring it was (imo).

Does BO3 story have any connection to the previous games? I hardly remember BO1 and I'm not going to bother to play BO2's story. I primarily got it for the Zombies to be honest and to dip in multiplayer from time to time.

nOoblet16

AW campaign shits on this from great heights.

AW campaign is formulaic COD, it's too simple and while it's good and works most of the time, there is nothing too special about it.
BO3 tries something different, even in terms of what the plot. It's a much more ambitious game.

Pjsprojects

For me the BO3 campaign is good but not up with Aw.
Multiplayer works well with good map design.

Zombies,one bloody map!

Purchased digital in X1 and up to now I feel it was far to expensive for what the game is.

I just realized that the game's DualShock 4 is for sale by itself. Now I want it.

Damn it. Why do I have this crazy, non-sexual controller fetish? I don't need anymore.

My wallet am hurt.

nOoblet16

... Why the fuck did they not bring Goyer back to write, holy shit, this is some abysmal stuff.
The delivery and the timing it was used in the game was kind of jarring, the line itself is fine.

Because actually it's an expression that is often used in real life for anything that is "fun".
I skydive frequently and within our community there's this expression that floats around to attract anyone new to this hobby, that "skydiving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on"...it's a perfectly acceptable real world expression.

nbraun80

Really struggling with AR's in this game. My best setup is currentlty the starting SMG with a bunch of attachments.

I've been using the icr pretty well, someone compared it to the acr and I think that's about how it with, very steady. The triple burst seems to do pretty well too.

Sojgat

I just realized that the game's DualShock 4 is for sale by itself. Now I want it.

Damn it. Why do I have this crazy, non-sexual controller fetish? I don't need anymore.

My wallet am hurt.

Whatever DS4 you're using now will be worn out in 6 months, might as well get the COD one as a spare.

My only major problem with the campaign besides a certain scene is that it isn't Black Ops 3.
It more like Advanced Warfare 2 or its own thing completely.

Zombies really isnt "its own game", just one map and not a hell of a lot of added depth. I'm 3 missions in to the campaign and that has also been a bit of a disappointment, hopefully nightmare mode is good.

Yeah, three missions in, this Campaign is poorly written, terribly paced, and just plain messy.

Super disappointing coming from Treyarch, since WaW and BO 1/2 are some of my favorite shooter campaigns.

I'm probably going to pick this up this morning just need to decide if i'm going to waste extra money and give game my cash for Nuketown

How does the MP hold up, I loved 2 fwiw

nOoblet16

My only major problem with the campaign besides a certain scene is that it isn't Black Ops 3.
It more like Advanced Warfare 2 or its own thing completely.

Yep WaW and the two BO games were pretty good, especially the first BO game with it's silly conspiracy theory stuff and the 2nd one did some interesting thing for its missions in the form of choices and that one mission you play from the villain's perspective.

Nuszka

AW campaign is formulaic COD, it's too simple and while it's good and works most of the time, there is nothing too special about it.
BO3 tries something different, even in terms of what the plot. It's a much more ambitious game.

Its my first Cod this gen and did not play AW, but who cares about story in these games? From gameplay perspective i played with Noomi up until 5th mission and we had a blast, there was way more freedom and possibilities in a way you can approach some encounters . So far we had a blast, and thats what matters. Hope to get some dgaffers on a train of some sorts.

nOoblet16

I'm probably going to pick this up this morning just need to decide if i'm going to waste extra money and give game my cash for Nuketown

How does the MP hold up, I loved 2 fwiw

Me and Falifax have been playing co op and MP.
The Mp is considerably slower and grounded now and the TTK is higher (it feels close to BO2 which had probably one of the highest TTK for a COD game), that plus the nicer maps make it much more enjoyable to play.

Its my first Cod this gen and did not play AW, but who cares about story in these games? From gameplay perspective i played with Noomi up until 5th mission and we had a blast, there was way more freedom and possibilities in a way you can approach some encounters . So far we had a blast, and thats what matters. Hope to get some dgaffers on a train of some sorts.

Yea well it's easy to say who cares.
But BO games were pretty good at this, especially when you factor in how the choices played out in BO2.

leng jai

I'm pretty impressed with how good MP looks especially since it is locked 60fps. Varied locations, vibrant colours and decent IQ. Can't ask for much more.

JoseLopez

Zombies really isnt "its own game", just one map and not a hell of a lot of added depth. I'm 3 missions in to the campaign and that has also been a bit of a disappointment, hopefully nightmare mode is good.
Zombies could easily be released for 20 bucks and most people would consider it a game of its own. Also you not knowing stuff doesn't mean it doesn't have depth and believe me it does.

Victrix

*beard*
Trash tier twitchy spawns and the usual bullshit hitmarkers and lag when the meter says flawless ping and 0% pl.

CoD as usual I guess. Sticks out even more after playing Halo 5.

addyb

This is the first CoD where there isn't a map that I dont like. All the maps are so fun to play and aesthetic

Pretty much the same with me. Although I'm not a huge fan of hunted. That could be because I've a terrible record on that already :(

Standouts for me are breach, fringe and evac.

Yep WaW and the two BO games were pretty good, especially the first BO game with it's silly conspiracy theory stuff and the 2nd one did some interesting thing for its missions in the form of choices and that one mission you play from the villain's perspective.

Was really expecting
your character to reveal their last name as Mason towards the end
so that was a disappointment.

Im going to give them a lot of credit for one thing though, your custom character in BO3 is the best player character(Soap doesn't count as a big part of him is 3rd person in MW2) in the series.
I played as a female and damn besides no name she felt like a full character for once.
Maybe God awful Mitchell and the Ghost PC just make it seem so much better.

Im legitimately pissed I can't use the SP character for MP and I have a bad feeling that outfit you get for finishing the campaign will be a $$$ DLC for MP.

Murdoch

Trash tier twitchy spawns and the usual bullshit hitmarkers and lag when the meter says flawless ping and 0% pl.

CoD as usual I guess. Sticks out even more after playing Halo 5.

I'll be honest. These are the best connections I've had in this series since COD released all those years ago.

Darak

About realistic mode...

I want to read stories of people's attempts. Treyarch loves to make you run through open areas with gunfire coming from all angles, both onscreen and off, and from what I played of the campaign there is more than enough of that going on here too. Nothing about this looks in any way balanced for a realistic mode. I think they're just counting upon rote memorization and co-op revives to balance out the cheap encounters.

I'm at mission 7 right now, playing solo. My experience so far: this mode was barely tested, much less balanced. Difficulty is all over the place. Some places are brutal, others are very easy thanks to massively OP cybernetics (instant sticky grenade which instantly teleports into any enemy on sight? With infinite ammo? Really?). No enemy respawn or timed sections so far, and the friendly AI actually kills enemies, so you can cheese many of the chaotic firefights.

When you can't use cheesy powers of tactics, the difficulty is high, in all the bad ways. A lot of the 'cutscene-like' moments that are clearly intended as pacing (run through this corridor!) can become brutal. In fact, cutscenes frequently leave you in a place where you are dead in half a second, sometimes not triggering the checkpoint and forcing you to watch the cutscene again and again until you get lucky or perform the right ducking move. It is also mostly based on luck. Sometimes you survive the most stupid shit because everybody missed, many other times a rogue bullet from nowhere hits you even when you are in cover and it is instadeath.

Overall, a very bad experience so far. The last few games were too easy on veteran, but I think this is a step in the wrong direction.

Nuszka

Yea well it's easy to say who cares.
But BO games were pretty good at this, especially when you factor in how the choices played out in BO2.

Its not that i don't care. If i remember the only cod with a decent story was BO1, so expectations for BO2 were created. It had some interesting things going on with the choices, but at the same time it had some ridiculous plot points.
Going in to BO3 i had my expectations low.
Maybe Destiny ruined it for me, so when i hear story in an fps i just try not to take it seriously, ever.

Hip Hop

Ok, can select your region or is it shit matchmaking like halo?

Nope, you can not select your preffered ping or region. I hope they add this in the future. One of the things I am truly missing from Blops 2.

Is this true? Why do I lose connection to host so much?

Apparently so, yeah, this was answered by a dev a few days ago.

no idea why that happens by the way.

Neil_J_UK

boy Black Ops 3 really doesnt like Resume Play on PS4, keep getting blank black screens whenever the game suspends

Yep, plus it doesn't download latest MP update even if you quit out of MP/rejoin, which means it takes forever to find a game with 3 other people.

They REALLY need to add a separate sensitivity option for ADS.

k1t4j

Hey guys I have a bit of an issue, I am currently in spain and I bought this game for the X1.

My console is set to english, my store is the US store but the game installed in spanish?

I can't find a way to switch the language in game, what the fuck?

Anyone has any ideas

So I got my Nuketown problem sorted, I needed to update my Xbox One then it showed up.

Silly me assuming there wasn't a new update to do the day after I already updated. :p

What are people doing with their black market keys? Saving until 30 or going every 10?

skynidas

Banned
Hey guys I have a bit of an issue, I am currently in spain and I bought this game for the X1.

My console is set to english, my store is the US store but the game installed in spanish?

I can't find a way to switch the language in game, what the fuck?

Anyone has any ideas

Same thing happened to me on PS4 here in Spain, i think we are fucked, the game might be in spanish only.

Disappointed with this game. Zombies is a lot tougher for a huge map. Multiplayer is decent like always. I knew I shouldn't had bought anything treyarch makes.

Joco

I really, really want to like the multiplayer in this but so far I can't. Maybe my tastes are just changing, but the times when you get killed four, five times in a row by things seemingly out of your control just takes away the fun. An enemy spawns behind you and shoots you in the back. An RC car drives by and blows you up. Etc.

I had a month of in game time on Black Ops 1's multiplayer but haven't played any one after that near as much. I guess I'm semi-ranting because I thought I would like it more.

I guess I'll just wait and hope Treyarch makes a World at War 2. Probably not going to happen but I feel like it would strip away a lot of this bullshit and make for a better game. But then I don't know how they would do skins/other customizations that are now a big part of COD.

Hip Hop

I really, really want to like the multiplayer in this but so far I can't. Maybe my tastes are just changing, but the times when you get killed four, five times in a row by things seemingly out of your control just takes away the fun. An enemy spawns behind you and shoots you in the back. An RC car drives by and blows you up. Etc.

I had a month of in game time on Black Ops 1's multiplayer but haven't played any one after that near as much. I guess I'm semi-ranting because I thought I would like it more.

I guess I'll just wait and hope Treyarch makes a World at War 2. Probably not going to happen but I feel like it would strip away a lot of this bullshit and make for a better game. But then I don't know how they would do skins/other customizations that are now a big part of COD.

Yeah, just because they would do a WW2 game in the future does not mean everything they have added to the series (attachments, killstreaks, customization, etc.) will go away. It's here to stay pretty much. I can't see otherwise.

Top Bottom