• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Kyoufu said:
So my opinion currently stands as Ground War being a clusterfuck/mess, while the regular modes are pretty fun. Less players means more space to move in.
I don't know how they do it, some mix of awful maps and terribad spawns topped off with ridiculous killstreak spam and a super-low FOV creates the perfect storm of clusterfuck in MW3 Ground War. It feels like a bigger mess than playing 40 player domination on CoD4 or WaW on the PC.

Rat Salad

Banned
UFRA said:
Isn't this how it has been since COD4?

COD II was the last one I played :/ Was wanting to show my friends some of the stages. The ones where ur out at sea are amazing. But I wanted access to the whole game,you know...choose any stage anytime I want. Because Ive already beaten the game.
Meh..

Edeuinu

Just finished it, 5 hours 44 minutes. Was fun and as expected, never even saw a trailer. $2.12, wham bam thank you ma'am, and Mr. Redbox.

Zinthar

UFRA said:
Isn't this how it has been since COD4?

Then you'd think there'd be an improvement considering that it's been 4 years and pretty much every other modern game allows you to start at any level/chapter you like after beating the game.

so the pump-action shotguns in this game suck (they have no range and take too long to fire a second shot incase), but I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the USAS12. I fire it like a semi-auto (and I bet they have that full-auto rate merely as a way to limit how fast you can fire) and it tends to get me 2 or 3 shot kills so long as i take advantage of the ridiculous amounts of cover every stage has.

legacyzero

Banned
I have one MAJOR problem with this game Multiplayer-wise. THE SHOTGUNS ARE SEVERELY UNDERPOWERED. The only one that seems anything useful is the Striker.

Guns like the SPAS-12 are terribly useless. The really need a boost. I should not be getting only hit markers from 5 feet away and steady aim.

I had a big breakthrough today. After bitching and moaning earlier in the thread I set myself up with a Scar, Iron Sight, Bullet Penetration and Marksmanship. Now I patrol the outside of the map instead of running in and gunning and I'm getting a lot more kills.

Kyoufu

legacyzero said:
I have one MAJOR problem with this game Multiplayer-wise. THE SHOTGUNS ARE SEVERELY UNDERPOWERED. The only one that seems anything useful is the Striker.

Guns like the SPAS-12 are terribly useless. The really need a boost. I should not be getting only hit markers from 5 feet away and steady aim.

I get killed in one hit by the SPAS. What is wrong with it?

Just went on a terror run with the Striker, the best feature added in this game is hearing the opponents you killed, hearing the rage from people getting killed from the shotgun is so funny it hurts.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
krameriffic said:
I don't know how they do it, some mix of awful maps and terribad spawns topped off with ridiculous killstreak spam and a super-low FOV creates the perfect storm of clusterfuck in MW3 Ground War. It feels like a bigger mess than playing 40 player domination on CoD4 or WaW on the PC.

Sounds like you know exactly how they do it. HAHA

aku:jiki said:
That's one of the worst parts about this game right there! No more ridiculous videos where he gets like 100 kills using only a shotgun. :(

Sucks too because no one else could get great kill streak with shotguns but him. Yet one video of him dominating & everyone turned their bitching to 11 & now they're are so useless they might as well be completely removed from the game.

Can I get more opinions on Ground War? It was my main go to game type in COD4, WAW & MW2.
It was great on large & small maps in those games.

Is it REALLY that bad in MW3? How much worse would you say it is from the previous games?

Angry Fork

This game is fucking unplayable right now as a sniper, the damage is fucking ridiculous. I want to break my disc and send it to IW with a 5 page rage letter.

I get sent in this stupid shitty ass fucking map with no sight line you have to run 50 ft. to the left or right to try to get to any kind of open spot and by then there's douchebags with machine guns that kill in 1 shot already there. There's absolutely no chance for me with my pistol. COD4 I fucking loved because I could still hold my own with pistol + rifle combo but this shit it's impossible because health is so low or damage so high whatever it is.

People get killed in one shot, and if you don't then your entire body pretty much gets stopped in mid track once you get shot so you can't do anything about it anyway. It's fucking awful and unplayable for me right now and I refuse to use a machine gun like everyone else because that's boring and easy kills.

I could get into paragraphs of rage on why it takes THE SAME AMOUNT OF SHOTS TO KILL SOMEONE WITH A HUGE ASS FUCKING SNIPER RIFLE AS A LITTLE BABY MACHINE GUN.

WHY

Sniper rifles should be one shot kill and assault rifles 4-5, not this fucking 1-2 shot horse shit with every single weapon except pistols.

Scarecrow

I know lots of people hate it, but I liked MW2's story. Way more than this one. It felt like most of the levels from MW2 were a neat set piece, whereas there were only a few stand out moments from MW3. I really dug the last level, though. Felt cathartic.

Major issues with MP. Map control of any kind is nearly impossible, so deaths feel random more than ever. It's often a matter of who turns the corner and sees the other guy first. My god the maps and spawns are completely shit.

legacyzero

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Major issues with MP. Map control of any kind is nearly impossible, so deaths feel random more than ever. It's often a matter of who turns the corner and sees the other guy first. My god the maps and spawns are completely shit.
I agree with the argument on spawns. I've literally spawned RIGHT IN FRONT of people and have had them spawn behind me as well.

and yeah, Controlling positions on the map is next to impossible unless your team communicates, but the spawns are so random, enemies can spawn behind you and kill you from behind without warning.
Angry Fork said:
This game is fucking unplayable right now as a sniper, the damage is fucking ridiculous. I want to break my disc and send it to IW with a 5 page rage letter.

I get sent in this stupid shitty ass fucking map with no sight line you have to run 50 ft. to the left or right to try to get to any kind of open spot and by then there's douchebags with machine guns that kill in 1 shot already there. There's absolutely no chance for me with my pistol. COD4 I fucking loved because I could still hold my own with pistol + rifle combo but this shit it's impossible because health is so low or damage so high whatever it is.

People get killed in one shot, and if you don't then your entire body pretty much gets stopped in mid track once you get shot so you can't do anything about it anyway. It's fucking awful and unplayable for me right now and I refuse to use a machine gun like everyone else because that's boring and easy kills.

I could get into paragraphs of rage on why it takes THE SAME AMOUNT OF SHOTS TO KILL SOMEONE WITH A HUGE ASS FUCKING SNIPER RIFLE AS A LITTLE BABY MACHINE GUN.

WHY

Sniper rifles should be one shot kill and assault rifles 4-5, not this fucking 1-2 shot horse shit with every single weapon except pistols.
I agree with this too. They are almost requiring you to be a quick scoper.

jgminto

Gotta say, I'm disappointed with the multiplayer. The increase in damage is annoying. It's virtually impossible to outmanoeuvre your opponent. The maps are almost all terrible. They are all maze-like small to mid size maps. The sniper rifle is almost useless with the limited amount of long range areas. The killstreaks are even more annoying than in MW2. And that leads to an almost necessary use of Assassin. The shotguns are absolutely terrible. It's like they increased the damage of every gun but the shotguns. It shouldn't take 4 shots of an AA-12 from 2 metres away to kill an enemy. And the spawns are also pretty terrible. Multiple times in a game I've spawned near an enemy right around the corner. And the opposite has also happened.

Overall it's pretty disappointing. All they really needed to do for me to enjoy the game was redo MW2 with all the crap cut out. Instead they've created a multiplayer experience that, in my opinion is the least enjoyable CoD multi I've played. And that plain sucks.

On the other hand, the singleplayer and Spec Ops are both fantastic.

upJTboogie said:
Just went on a terror run with the Striker, the best feature added in this game is hearing the opponents you killed, hearing the rage from people getting killed from the shotgun is so funny it hurts.

Oh my god I never knew this happened! Me and my friend were the only ones that had microphones on yet I could hear people swearing a lot, now I know it was at me :(

LifEndz

Network issues have really improved over the course of the day. Really surprised how much I'm enjoying the support strike package. Really takes away a lot of the COD rage I used to feel when I was trying to get killstreaks. All they need to do now is work on the Shotguns. They all feel really nerfed.

soultron

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
I love the fact that there are virtually no possible spawn-traps or chokepoints. The spawns are a bit ridiculous in modes, but I feel that's bound to happen no matter what, especially when your entire team is spread thinly enough to cover most of the map.

The one thing I've learned is that MW2 divided the audience. This game seems to cater much more towards balance, but people want shit to be absolutely broken again. It's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: :lol at the tinfoil-hatting below.

maomaoIYP

Angry Fork said:

WHY

I get one shot kills with the L118A no problem. And I play FFA with that and can come out tops often. I don't quickscope either. Not all maps are sniper rifle friendly though, but that's always been the case. I'm not really complaining, because at least the sniper rifles are worth something, unlike in blops.

8sanders said:
The maps are shit to encourage you to buy the dlc or elite. And you will.

Terminal, sub base, afghan and highrise in first DLC pack, please k thx.

Not happy about the NAT situation, i've played all the other COD's on my PS3 and always had open yet now I have strict, takes me 5+ attempts to actually get into a game last night.

soultron

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
I get one shot kills with the L118A no problem. And I play FFA with that and can come out tops often. I don't quickscope either. Not all maps are sniper rifle friendly though, but that's always been the case. I'm not really complaining, because at least the sniper rifles are worth something, unlike in blops.

Bolt-action Bro Force!!

/daps.

Angry Fork

Honestly on the verge of swallowing my pride and selling the game back to Amazon. I refuse to pay 50 for Elite when we don't know what kind of maps are going to be made then. They could make the same bullshit in this game.

There's a few maps that are good in terms of sight lines but only a few. The rest fucking make me rage so hard.

And I'm not a quick scoper but like the other guy said this game 100% encourages it because you cannot succeed as a sniper otherwise. The health/damage shit is just so goddamn annoying I can't express how much rage I had in this stupid map I forgot the name of it I wish I could remember.

I'm playing strictly search and destroy btw. I want to unlock hardcore but I shouldn't even bother the regular mode already plays like hardcore and with the nice cheap radar handicaps. Hardcore damage + radar, amazingly broken combination.

maomaoIYP said:
I don't know which that is but I haven't unlocked any new rifles yet I just have whatever 3 are available I'm using Barret now. It's one shot occasionally if I'm lucky, other times I catch them running and they get away, only to probably end up flanking me from behind because they're only 1 building away in these tiny shit hole maps.

maomaoIYP

soultron said:
I love the fact that there are virtually no possible spawn-traps or chokepoints. The spawns are a bit ridiculous in modes, but I feel that's bound to happen no matter what, especially when your entire team is spread thinly enough to cover most of the map.

The one thing I've learned is that MW2 divided the audience. This game seems to cater much more towards balance, but people want shit to be absolutely broken again. It's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: :lol at the tinfoil-hatting below.

Depends on gamemodes isn't it? Spawn trapping on Mission in domination is insane. It's super easy to trap everyone that spawns in that downhill shanty town spawn. I was playing last night, grabbed the flag nearest to me, killed 2 dudes. That gave me a UAV and a care package, which turned out to be a sentry. Planted that on the slope directly facing the shanty town flag. They never stood a damn chance.

soultron said:
Bolt-action Bro Force!!

/daps.
bolt action for LIFE man.

GECK

Any 360 parties playing Dom/TD need one? gt: A BP CEO

HATE playing COD solo and most of my friends list is on Reach/BF3

soultron

Banned
I don't mean to say you suck, Angry Fork, but I'd say that in any of the CODs, you need to be an outstanding sniper to be an effective contributing player in S&D. If you're not, I'd say you're best shifting to a mode that isn't "high stakes" like S&D.

EDIT: I feel your frustration. It's hard to play with a rifle right now since I don't have any short-range scopes unlocked yet. I think once I properly level my bolt-action up, I should be able to perform better though.

soultron said:

BULLSHIT!
The only chance you have of getting spawn trapped is from a AC-130 decimating your entire team & everyone spawning at one area for the AC-130 to continue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing stopping that from happening in this game either.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Got some good matches in right now. Changed my play style a bit, and changed some habits I got used to in Blops.

Game is starting gel, especially when the lag is minimal.

DarkChild

Banned
Angry Fork said:

WHY

Funny, now people complain about having hard time playing with sniper...Go play BF3. You are going to have a field day with sniper.

soultron

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
Got some good matches in right now. Changed my play style a bit, and changed some habits I got used to in Blops.

Game is starting gel, especially when the lag is minimal.
I think this is where a lot of peoples' problems are: they're too proud to change their playstyle to match the changes in this game.

DarkChild said:
Funny, now people complain about having hard time playing with sniper...Go play BF3. You are going to have a field day with sniper.

Yeah great response, game no good for snipers? play a different game.

Honestly the sight lines are pretty crappy i used to love sniping in MW1 and MW2 but its not as fun at all now. Best way to play is assault rifles now and there should never be a "best" way to play a game that encourages multiple character "builds"

I'll go one step further and say I believe Assassin is absolutely essential because of the problems with spawns. You are well and truly fucked because of the spawn situation without it.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Sucks too because no one else could get great kill streak with shotguns but him. Yet one video of him dominating & everyone turned their bitching to 11 & now they're are so useless they might as well be completely removed from the game.

Can I get more opinions on Ground War? It was my main go to game type in COD4, WAW & MW2.
It was great on large & small maps in those games.

Is it REALLY that bad in MW3? How much worse would you say it is from the previous games?
The problem is that it doesn't get that nice polarization to battles that it should. Domination maps exist within one of two paradigms: linear or triangular design. You spawn near the point your team controls, whether that point is the tip of the triangle you control or the end of the line of 3 points that your team controls. This creates a nice style of play where you know what part of the map is YOURS and what part is the ENEMY'S. I don't get that feeling in MW3, and it's not because of clever flanking strategies being employed by my opponents, but because the spawns are just all over the place.

You don't get that feeling like you're battling over the middle point on linear maps. Half the time I find myself spawned at the opponent's side of the map, presumably because one guy managed to get onto our side of the map and the game interprets it as "TIME TO SHIFT THE SPAWNS!" Then the spawns shift and the wheels on the bus go round and round. I liked domination in particular because it game a nice direction and focus to the game, but it's gone in MW3. It's even worse in TDM, but that's mostly because camping is the only game in town because if you don't do it, you die in 1 nanosecond from somebody else who DOES do it.

The only gold star I can give Ground War is its inclusion of Kill Confirmed in addition to TDM and Dom. It creates a nice dynamic focal point for the battles, something like a kill box where lots of people are dying and leaving dogtags that have to be recovered. It makes camping useless because you don't actually score points off of it. It also lasts longer than a game of TDM, which given the nature of how easy it is to kill people and playing it on PC with mouse controls, results in about 4 minute long games.

Overall, playing it just gives me this awful feeling that I don't recall getting out of CoD4, MW2 or BO. The FOV is so restrictive after playing BO at 80 and playing on P2P connections just makes it feel slightly laggy compared to dedicated servers. I get this weird phenomenon where a guy will start shooting me and, on my screen, I will die in 1 hit. I won't get hit, hit, hit in rapid succession, I'll just keel over dead. The kill cam shows that this was not the case, but it feels like it on my end. You feel like you are being shot from every direction everywhere you go even checking the radar with UAV constantly and you die so quickly that if a guy gets the jump on you, combined with that odd lagginess, you are often dead before you even know you're getting shot at.

StalkerUKCG said:
Yeah great response, game no good for snipers? play a different game.

Honestly the sight lines are pretty crappy i used to love sniping in MW1 and MW2 but its not as fun at all now. Best way to play is assault rifles now and there should never be a "best" way to play a game that encourages multiple character "builds"

Im in no way a fan of either sniper rifles or shotguns but making them useless beyond belief is just ridiculous, I suppose at least they can fix shotguns by increasing the range and power slightly, snipers are just screwed till the eventual COD4/ MW2 map packs.

FStop7

Banned
Where do I redeem the 20 digit code on the Elite card that came with my copy of Hardened? And what does the code do? Elite itself was redeemed via Xbox Live with a different code that came on a piece of paper.... so what's the code on the card for?

FStop7 said:
Where do I redeem the 20 digit code on the Elite card that came with my copy of Hardened? And what does the code do? Elite itself was redeemed via Xbox Live with a different code that came on a piece of paper.... so what's the code on the card for?

If you register for elite and it actually accepts your account then your a founding member and don't need to use the code on the card, if you activate elite after november 13th you need to use the code on the card to get your founder status.

Top Bottom