• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Izayoi

Banned
Kyoufu said:
They are improvements for you, but they are just not fun for others. At the end of the day, COD is about fun and killstreaks not stacking is anti-fun.
That's not true at all. This coming from someone who called in several dozen nukes in MW2.

I think that kill streak stacking is ridiculous, and completely ruins games. It gives the players who are already obviously better and already on top even more opportunities to completely decimate, and makes matches incredibly drab and boring.

By the time I was done with MW2 every time I got a nuke people just groaned because all of the tension in the match completely evaporated.

I'm glad the nuke was removed, but it doesn't change the fact that good players are going to completely steam roll again. I had half the K/D in BLOPs that I did in MW2 and I enjoyed ten times as much.

tuco11

Scavenger pro gave you ammo and explosives in MW2 also. Although I dont see claymores being mentioned. Just hoping for a less of a tube fest this time.

Always-honest said:
Because despite of what GAf claims, CoD made by IW is always fun.
IW that makes MW3 isn't the IW we know. Also, MW2 was fun only if you kind of person who likes to noobtube, use unbalanced perks and weapons, and enjoy being harassed by school kiddies.

Kyoufu

Izayoi said:
That's not true at all. This coming from someone who called in several dozen nukes in MW2.

I think that kill streak stacking is ridiculous, and completely ruins games. It gives the players who are already obviously better and already on top even more opportunities to completely decimate, and makes matches incredibly drab and boring.

By the time I was done with MW2 every time I got a nuke people just groaned because all of the tension in the match completely evaporated.

I'm glad the nuke was removed, but it doesn't change the fact that good players are going to completely steam roll again. I had half the K/D in BLOPs that I did in MW2 and I enjoyed ten times as much.

That is why they added Point Streaks for support. If you're not good at getting kills, then you can get point streaks and support your team. This caters to everybody, not just the good players.

And come on, good players steam roll in ANY public server in an FPS. COD is no different.

x-Lundz-x

mxgt said:
MW2 wasn't fun.

Whaaaa?

SP game while lacking in some areas like a cohesive story like some have said was still a blast to play.

Spec Ops was fucking killer; I put 24 hours in Spec Ops with a buddy to get all the stars. When I finally got that last star on the Hostage Mission (Wetworks?) I was literally screaming because of how long we had been working on getting that mission completed. Specs Ops was definitely the best part of MW2 for me.

MP was great until all the game breaking glitches, which hopefully is fixed this go round.

And personally I really like the SP of the modern warfare games, despite what looks to be consensus around here. Playing on Veteran is something I look forward too on day 1.

Radec

Foliorum Viridum said:
Even with killstreak stacking I never got a nuke. 23 was my highest, I think. In like 300 hours of game time.

:(

It takes patience and alot of rage-management.

Probably got 7 or 10 games where I went 23 or 24 and end up dying before I get to the last kill due to me being so freaking nervous at times like that.

After getting the Nuke emblem, I called it quits and move on to other games.

Still exhilarating though.

Radec said:
It takes patience and alot of rage-management.

Probably got 7 or 10 games where I went 23 or 24 and end up dying before I get to the last kill due to me being so freaking nervous at times like that.

After getting the Nuke emblem, I called it quits and move on to other games.

Still exhilarating though.
The kicker is whenever I went for it I got like 10 killstreaks. My highest were always without nuke equipped and when I wasn't trying.

I got over it, though.

The_Player said:
IW that makes MW3 isn't the IW we know. Also, MW2 was fun only if you kind of person who likes to noobtube, using unbalanced perks and weapons, and being harassed by school kiddies.

I hate noobtubes in MW2 and boosters and quick-shotters. But the weapons were great and varied, not unbalanced. Perks were fine. Commando Pro was annoying, but not that big of a deal. Ninja Pro was actually more effective.

I also don't think the killstreaks were really overpowered. I didn't have much trouble avoiding all the crap in the sky. You just had to be aware of where they were and where you were.

Izayoi said:
MW3 seems to take many of those lessons, and instead of learning from them, chooses instead to throw them out of the window. Why it completely ignored many improvements that were made by Black Ops (in my opinion a better game, multiplayer-wise, than MW2) completely baffles me.

You took the words...

I'm hyped ^^

But no FAMAS (MW2 Famas, not Black Ops Famas) makes me a little bit sad. I know Type95 is basically a reskin of the Famas but I like how the "Buggle" looks. I kinda hope DLCs will bring weapon skins.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
At this point Its just muscle memory making me walk to the store and hand over my cash.
KuGsj.gif

Enosh

bluehat9 said:
About weapon proficiencies, how many can use at once on the gun?
quite sure one
Izayoi said:
That might be the case if we ignore MW2. CoD4 was godlike, I don't think anyone is going to deny that.
not to say CoD4 was bad or anything, but I think there might be some rose tinted glasses going on when it comes to it
or did everyone already forget having to spring away from every second encounter because they were running martyrdom, or having to run stopping power otherwise you are fucked when running into someone with juggernaut and having 9 nades be lobed into your general direction at the start of every round by people with 3 nades, it's basically an air strike you start off with

the tubes were as powerfull as they are in MW2 and the 7 killstreak was basically impossible to shoot down, as opposed to MW2 where one decent guy with a stinker can make your 12 killstreak worthless

BrainZEROX said:
I'm hyped ^^

But no FAMAS (MW2 Famas, not Black Ops Famas) makes me a little bit sad. I know Type95 is basically a reskin of the Famas but I like how the "Buggle" looks. I kinda hope DLCs will bring weapon skins.

Type95 is such a shitty gun, not only from a design point of view (such ugly lines compared to Famas) but it is also a crappy rifle. it feels like a Nerf gun.

def sim

SPAS better work like it did in MW2. Super satisfying gun to get kills with, especially at range. It was like a fat death laser.

Izayoi

Banned
Red Nightmare said:
For Overkill Pro, does it mean that 1 weapon can have 2 attachments without having to use the "attachment" proficiency?
That's what it seems like.

Two weapons with two attachments each?

It's looking up!

Weenerz

Banned
Heysoos said:
Likewise, I just preordered yesterday again and paid it off. :|

Hey! Me too! Preordered and full paid when I was picking up Uncharted 3 :x. The gamestop moron was surprised I bought MW3 for the PC.

UnluckyKate said:
Type95 is such a shitty gun, not only from a design point of view (such ugly lines compared to Famas) but it is also a crappy rifle. it feels like a Nerf gun.
I guess it's a move to please chinese gamers. French players already have their share of fun with part of the game taking place in Paris.

Relix said:
Every year I say... I won't buy it again
Every year I do.

Yep. Its crack. After MW2 and its ridiculous crap (QS'ing, Tubing, and knife kills from 30 feet out) and BLOPS (the absolute worst netcode of the series IMO), I was like, no more, not with BF3 coming out! Im done with you Call of Duty!

Yet here I sit.... really really excited for this and already have it covered at Amazon with release date delivery! lol

iNvid02

great op, reading about all the new shit makes me excited. but there's bound to be some game breaking thing pop up eventually, it always does

The_Player said:
IW that makes MW3 isn't the IW we know.

I know

The_Player said:
Also, MW2 was fun only if you kind of person who likes to noobtube, use unbalanced perks and weapons, and enjoy being harassed by school kiddies.

First of all: You don't decide what i think is fun.
Second: it's always fun to play with friends.
Third: these school kiddies are in every multiplayer i know. And yes, some are godawfull to play with.
Fourth: it took me a while to find out what the hell a noobtube was. Later on the game was just filled with these. So yeah, that's when i stopped playing. But that was not in the beginning and also not in every game.

it's time for some gaffers to start enjoying games again instead of acting like a fucking elitist snob. The game wasn't perfect, by a longshot. But there was fun to be had, in SP, MP AND co-op.

w2000

Didn't notice anyone use
6301205046_70336dd7e3_o.jpg
so I grabbed it. Nice OP and both me and my wife can't wait to play the game. It's the only game she seems to play for some reason.

Kacho

Where can you pick up the Mtn Dew Gamer Fuel? I stopped at a couple different Exxon gas stations this morning and couldn't find any. Is it a 7-11 thing?

BrainZEROX said:
I guess it's a move to please chinese gamers. French players already have their share of fun with part of the game taking place in Paris.

I'm french and I don't care about Paris or Famas (okay, not about their prototype famas looking badass in Black Ops) but still. China is really an important market share ?

This entire weapon list screams american firearms lobby begging to get their new toys in the game. So many Remington and Colt. Why not much love for tiers weapons, like the amazing ARX from Beretta or even the top of the line SiG (516 anyone ?) to stay patriotic ?

Always the same gun, over and over again. MODERN WARFARE and yet, old good M16... god give me a break, it feels like even the weapon list is made from product placement contracts

Radec

PhoReal said:
Where can you pick up the Mtn Dew Gamer Fuel? I stopped at a couple different Exxon gas stations this morning and couldn't find any. Is it a 7-11 thing?

Man, I totally forgot about the Mountain Dew / Doritios thing. I already bookmarked it to be applied in the OT :/

I'll add it later then.

H3xum

Great OT

I didn't really know what was going on with the Prestige Shop, sounds interesting.

I wonder what the different packages entail. However I feel like I'll be choosing the take a gun with you package every time

The_Monk

First of all the OP is great. Good read, congratulations!

I just got BF3 yesterday and UC3 will be mine today at midnight or tomorrow in the morning.

I said to myself that I don't need two FPS's this holiday but I always like the gameplay, plus playing with friends is easy and it give me back a good nostalgia from the releases on those winter days since the COD 4, MW2 and BO. Feels good man.

I know I can buy this but I'm trying to save, times are hard indeed. I also don't have a big hype for this one, I had but other games got me distracted.

What I can hope is that the game to be balanced. No more Commando is good. But quick scope it's still in and Assassin perk seems too good.

At last is the maps... I don't think they are anything special, but that Afrika one got me interested since I like more jungle maps over to urban ones.

Well, I guess the final question is, how can you have the time for two FPS plus one or two side games?

Great OP. Blows my Black Ops OP out of the water!

Game looks pretty good, although it looks like the fifth straight year of the same basic multiplayer. At least it seems they may have finally sorted out the killstreak system, and the perks look fairly balanced (the new SoH is something I've been begging for ever since the beginning). I do hate weapon grinding though; buying attachments was the best thing about Blops. I'm also very, very sad to see Wager Matches go away.

That said, by January there will be rumblings of discontent, and by March people will already be yelling at IW to "FIX YOUR SHIT," and by April all anyone will want to talk about is what's wrong with the game. I've been through this cycle for three years now, and I'm not interested in going through it again. Plus with a newborn baby girl, this is going to be the year I cut the cord - no more CoD for me.

Respawn

Banned
Question fellas. Ive played COD on consoles since 4 [before it was PC] and I wanted to know if I switch to PC for this one will the prestige unlocks still work? I'm thinking since Activision are tracking progress through their servers and maybe through login verification everything will sync. Sorry if this subject was already tackled just quite much to sift through.

LowParry

Respawn said:
Question fellas. Ive played COD on consoles since 4 [before it was PC] and I wanted to know if I switch to PC for this one will the prestige unlocks still work? I'm thinking since Activision are tracking progress through their servers and maybe through login verification everything will sync. Sorry if this subject was already tackled just quite much to sift through.

No.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
x-Lundz-x said:
Whaaaa?

SP game while lacking in some areas like a cohesive story like some have said was still a blast to play.

Spec Ops was fucking killer; I put 24 hours in Spec Ops with a buddy to get all the stars. When I finally got that last star on the Hostage Mission (Wetworks?) I was literally screaming because of how long we had been working on getting that mission completed. Specs Ops was definitely the best part of MW2 for me.

MP was great until all the game breaking glitches, which hopefully is fixed this go round.

And personally I really like the SP of the modern warfare games, despite what looks to be consensus around here. Playing on Veteran is something I look forward too on day 1.

I enjoyed spec ops and single player but I couldn't play much MP compared to other CoD games. I think the killstreak stacking did me in.

I am looking forward to MW3 though.

divisionbyzorro said:
Great OP. Blows my Black Ops OP out of the water!

Your new avatar is not an angry cop. Cannot reconcile.

Edit: Congrats on the new baby. Just game when she sleeps and keep the baby monitor on.

PalaceBrother said:
Your new avatar is not an angry cop. Cannot reconcile.

Edit: Congrats on the new baby. Just game when she sleeps and keep the baby monitor on.

After I rage quit Black Ops (got tired of bullets not killing people
yes I'm aware of how vehemently I defended that game in the past
), I picked up TF2, and my new avatar shows my new allegiance. And as I recall, you had a very sad avatar change too a while back when we lost animated avatars, am I right? :)

Regarding the baby: that's what I'm doing, but at the moment I mostly stick to single-player games since they're more easily pauseable. I don't have to quit out just to change a diaper!

Respawn

Banned
CcrooK said:
Thanks and right to the point lol.

Great OT.

Also the Deathstreak:[edit]Revenge 5 deaths[edit] and you see the opponent that killed you? C'mon that's quite unfair. If I'm doing good and playing good it's not my fault some dude is getting his ass kicked by me.

Respawn said:
Also the Deathstreak 5 kills and you see the opponent that killed you? C'mon that's quite unfair. If I'm doing good and playing good it's not my fault some dude is getting his ass kicked by me.

Deathstreaks are the worst thing IW has ever done to this series, full stop. Just be glad there's no Painkiller this time around.

Top Bottom