• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Radec

OT Updated:

-Added Maps
-Fixed missing guns/perks.
-Added Gamertag/PSN section
-Added Wii/DS covers

Reviews* and Attachments incoming.

*Waiting for embargo to drop.

diffusionx

Gold Member
LQX said:
I actually think a reason for this is that the slur campaign against the series as been sort of successful and many hate to show that like the series or for every compliment give they have to take it back with a underhanded comment.

Also I think Activision has more complacent than ever and know it will do gangbusters no matter what. I have seen adds on TV but they pale in comparison to Black Ops which had live action ads with Kobe Bryant and other celebrities. They surely are not giving it the push they gave Black Ops.

I was walking around NYC recently and there were MW3 ads EVERYWHERE. They are pushing this game hard, maybe not to the gamers but to everyone. The campaign for this game is, if anything, closer to a big budget movie than a game.

Activision's PR knows that COD has become the big bad villain in the gaming community. Madden, Halo, etc. - at one point all of these games were derided for bringing in all the nongamers and ruining the hobby. Now it's COD's turn. They don't need to waste money to try to sell the game to that segment.

callofduty3.jpg

most likely wii control scheme. This was in previous games. There are many options availble on blops so I would assume it would be same.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Radec said:
OT Updated:

-Added Maps
-Added Wii/DS covers

Nice.

When is the embargo? Anyone know? I would guess Monday.

kuYuri

If you got old games or games you don't want, I'd say the Best Buy trade towards MW3, get extra 50% deal is easily one of the best deals.

Kmart also has buy Modern Warfare 3, get these offers:
* Xbox Live Gold 12-month card for $39.99.
* Xbox Live 4000 Microsoft Point card for $29.99.

KingDizzi said:
Any news on if this game will have an online pass?

No online pass.

You know what might be overlooked but is the best balance news for COD multiplayer in a long time? The fact that true Marathon/Lightweight is finally dead and gone.

I bet players will notice this very smart subtraction right away.

DRE Fei

RedSwirl said:
So what's balance looking like compared to MW1 and BO?
Hard to tell right now, but it looks like the SAM turret will make sure the skies are always clear in this game. Super easy to get as part of the support package, and it fires off something like 3 missiles at a time.

Im not sure how the 2nd tier perk slot will be used by the community, but assassin is looking very strong right now. It all depends on the map layout. IMO Blast shield will be really strong also, but the blind eye/assassin combo will block most of the killstreaks. It basically limits the enemy team to a tiny list of stuff they can actually hurt you with. I imagine a lot of people will eventually use this setup.

Mik2121

hayguyz said:
Do you really need all that shit in the OP?
That's like.. the whole point of an OT. What are you talking about?

Also, thank god this game doesn't have that Online Pass bs that Battlefield 3 has. Ugh...

H3xum

iMike76 said:
IGN is doing a MW3 stream for 4 hours today starting at 3 est. if anyone is interested.

I hope they were able to scrounge up someone competent to man the sticks.

zlatko

Banned
Forsaken82 said:
Well then. None the less you are looking at 45 for gow3

Huh? It says they are offering 26 bucks for Gears 3. With 50% more it would come out to 39. After doing the math for both Gamestop and Best buy with the games I'm going to trade in I get the same amount either way, which should be a total of only 49 bucks. :(

Edit: I don't see on the BB site if their promos stack up or not anywhere in fine print.

40% Bonus with any Pre-order
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game Offer expires 11/26/2011
50% Bonus with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you Pre-order/Purchase Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Offer expires 11/12/2011
Trade 3, Get 30% More
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit Offer expires 11/26/2011

I'm wondering if I'll get the 50% and the 30% more if I trade in Gears 2 and MGS4 with Gears 3.

Effect

Still no leaks or info on what the Wii version looks like or will include I see. Expected but disappointing. Still a few days left I guess for someone to get an early copy somewhere. I'm really curious as to what Treyarch is doing to the game.

Schwabe

some "errors" in the OP:

- M16 says Level 4, but in the text unlocked from beginning.
- Scavenger does have the same icon like Blind Eye
- Overkill Pro is named Hardline pro

Grat OP though!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nice OP Radec.

I haven't bought a COD game since COD 4 but I'm seriously thinking about giving this a shot. I'm gonna check out the IGN stream to get more a feel for it since I haven't been paying much attention to the franchise. Release date is a day after my birthday so who knows I might get it as a present.

If anyone on GAF wants to give it to me as a present I'll certainly accept :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
4 hours of SP would be the whole game :p

lol.gif

Since you're a big COD fan, what do you think of the different package options in MW3? Oddly enough, the smaller arena gameplay of COD has never really sustained my attention and I'm hoping these new additions make the gameplay a bit more varied.

Mayyhem

Awesome OT. I'm hoping the gameplay/balancing is more like COD4 oppose to MW2 but either way I'm still picking this up Day 1.

+1hype

Radec

Schwabe said:
some "errors" in the OP:

- M16 says Level 4, but in the text unlocked from beginning.
- Scavenger does have the same icon like Blind Eye
- Overkill Pro is named Hardline pro

Grat OP though!

fixed! thanks bro.

Meier

hayguyz said:
Do you really need all that shit in the OP?
The OP is a resource. It's not like most users will see it typically since I'd imagine most people always go to the most recent post once something is past the first page.

Weenerz

Banned
Radec said:
OT Updated:

-Added Maps
-Added Wii/DS covers

Still waiting for a picture for PC controls, or does tha version not count in the OT?

At first I got excited by the IGN stream the I realized that whenever gaming websites do quick looks for COD games the person playing doesn't even know how to aim down sights or is generally terrible.

Untracked

Schwabe said:
New Modes & Match Customization Behind the Scenes Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRA0cjr02OA
That Team Defender mode looks decent. I'm thinking I'll be playing a lot of stuff other than TDM in this one, which will make a nice change.

Hardon Edition ordered and the week off work, so I'll be straight into the Campaign on Veteran and no doubt I'll be raging like a mofo.

Very nice OP, not sure about the Battlefield highlighting on the dude at the top though, maybe he should go and die in the Garbage Thread.

Schwabe

H3xum said:
I hope they were able to scrounge up someone competent to man the sticks.

Guy Beahm aka DrDisrespect will be there.
http://twitter.com/#!/guybeahm

what i forgot to say before about the OP in CoD-Style: OP is really OP, but i think it won't be nerfed!

Does this game has individual leaderboards and stats for each gametype?

I loved how Black Ops had that, where you could see your k/d for just team deathmatch, etc.

Mengetsu

matics said:
Man, how annoying is that "kill confirmed" soundbite gonna be after a full match.

After a few matches of playing it I think you'll be to busy focused on the teams objective then the soundbite.

Disguises

:O. Wii version getting recognised! No sacrasctic Wii OT this year ;).
*Waits for blurry mobile phone pics from the back of the box*

Anton Sugar said:
lol.gif

Since you're a big COD fan, what do you think of the different package options in MW3? Oddly enough, the smaller arena gameplay of COD has never really sustained my attention and I'm hoping these new additions make the gameplay a bit more varied.
Honestly? I've not paid much attention. BF3 got all the pre-release hype for me because it was fresh and unknown.

That's not to say I'm not equally excited about MW3, because I am, but it's a more known quantity and I didn't feel the need to read up on the little changes. With it being so close to launch it seems silly to do so now, I'll just experience it next week"

Izayoi

Banned
Always-honest said:
Fourth: it took me a while to find out what the hell a noobtube was. Later on the game was just filled with these. So yeah, that's when i stopped playing. But that was not in the beginning and also not in every game.
You're kidding yourself if you think that they won't be back this time around, especially if Overkill Pro and the weapon proficiency stack and you can equip two grenade launchers.

Always-honest said:
it's time for some gaffers to start enjoying games again instead of acting like a fucking elitist snob. The game wasn't perfect, by a longshot. But there was fun to be had, in SP, MP AND co-op.
You've been here a while, according to your profile. You should know by now that isn't going to change.

kaskade

No one knows when the embargo is up? Got my hardened edition preordered. I figure I probably wouldn't buy elite if I didn't get it up front. I feel like if I get the maps "free" like that it'll keep me playing longer.

kuYuri

Izayoi said:
You're kidding yourself if you think that they won't be back this time around, especially if Overkill Pro and the weapon proficiency stack and you can equip two grenade launchers.
And with reduced damage, Blast Shield, and Trophy System, not a single fuck was given.

Top Bottom