• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty NEXT on Aug 28th

KINGMOKU

As a Resurgence main, cant say it did much for me either. Looks awfully flat as well. We'll see i guess.

I could play Rebirth for years and not get bored so whatever i suppose
So your the reason I keep having to play that damn map.

Why it's so difficult for them to have a rotation for every squad size is incomprehensible to me.

Enough with afterbirth already.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I've been aroused since they announced this was on game pass day 1.

lol my pp had not been hard for COD for some time. I think the only reason I even got Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, was because it came bundled with the PS5.

I did enjoy the oldschool playlist though, though we can never go back to the old COD, I Did get at least a bit of that feeling playing thru that remake of shipment lol

Those days are over for me though and I'm ok to let it go and happy to see the COD fans still enjoy the IP after so many generations. I do wish they did a ultra old school type Portal thing though, like 3 kill UAV, 5 kill air strike, 7 kill helicopter

clarky

Gold Member
So your the reason I keep having to play that damn map.

Why it's so difficult for them to have a rotation for every squad size is incomprehensible to me.

Enough with afterbirth already.
Its the only option in Ranked you noob.

Darko

I'm a CoD-stan all the way back from the very first game and while I'm excited for BO6 I can't help but feel like this will be the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm not a bad player by any means but bloody hell, I can already imagine the nightmare of trying to go up against sweats in MP or Warzone with that type of movement and all of the throwable stuff.

Hopefully the SBMM will be favourable for me and put me in with the other geriatric cannon fodder.
Just play against bots if you suck .. that’s what I do :(

I see your point though…

Last edited:
"I heard you like dolphin dives, so we let you dolphin dive while shooting in every direction now". Also the human shield mechanic looks neat

nemiroff

Gold Member
Imagine all the bunny-jumping and drop-shot-ing happening now. Imagine all of that on level 9000 steroids... That's what's coming. I think it's going to be fun, lol.

twilo99

Gold Member
I don’t care about zombies but I looked up some previous iterations of it and unfortunately for those who like it I would say that the talent who made zombies a thing is certainly no longer there.

One could argue that to be the case for the whole game, but the foundation/formula for multilayer is so structured, that it’s harder to fuck up.

My question is, why not just copy/paste an older zombie style that everyone liked and call it?

Last edited:
I don’t care about zombies but I looked up some previous iterations of it and unfortunately for those who like it I would say that the talent who made zombies a thing is certainly no longer there.

One could argue that to be the case for the whole game, but the foundation/formula for multilayer is so structured, that it’s harder to fuck up.

My question is, why not just copy/paste an older zombie style that everyone liked and call it?
I mean it's the same studio and when all was said and done in coldwar the zombies mode in that game was fantastic.
Thing with treyarch is they have yet to make a shitty cod and by the looks of everything right now
Campaign zombies and warzone all look solid

Danknugz

this franchise has so much money hard to see why they can't add a VR mode for the slower game types like battle royals or survival, with vr-only lobbies.

This is not what's happening.
There's two types of zombies, the older style that had a fixed crew per map and highly convoluted mechanics and secrets to follow the hidden story, which is where the term "easter egg hunt" comes from, because some of that shit was as obscure as having to crouch down in that random spot for a few seconds in simon's quest.

At a certain point the story became insanely convoluted and just downright stupid, so Treyarch just deleted the whole thing in universe, this universe is called the "aether" storyline; the only ones who made it out of the universal deletion were Samantha Maxis and Edward Richtofen, they moved into another, at the time unknown, universe.
Treyarch then tried again with a new story/universe called "Chaos", which was used in black ops 4; this didn't work out and they cancelled it, it's not deleted or anything they just didn't continue with it.
Then they tried once more and started the "Dark Aether" storyline, black ops cold war being the start of it. This universe is where Maxis and Richtofen wound up in and is supposed to be a fresh start of the story but with some familiar elements and is the story that's currently ongoing.
However this is also the universe that made the whole zombies thing canon to the events of regular CoD as well, so zombies is now an actual thing in the CoD universe, instead of just being some separate mode for fun.
This introduced no longer having a fixed crew per map, because it's not some horror movie isolated incident that's just happening to specific people, but to "anyone". So in Cold War, and onwards, you can pick any operator available in MP as well to enjoy zombies. (this also of course serves as a way to sell more operator packs to zombies players as well).
This is also the point where Treyarch started calling the story "main quest", but old zombiehead still say "easter egg" even though it makes no sense.

The old zombieheads dislike this change because it means less flavour in during the map, which is true, but being able to use whoever you want is it's own kind of fun as well.
They also disliked the removal of "gobble gums", even though they were basically pay to win items.
And lastly they bitch a lot about the difficulty being more forgiving now (which is mostly because of cold wars enhanced movement, not so much actually making it easier, the older games were just clunkier).

With black ops 6 treyarch has basically appeased to everyone, they brought back fixed crews for an enhanced story experience, or you can just use whatever operater you want if that is what you prefer.
They brought back gobble gums (though so far it seems you can only earn them, so the p2w aspect might be gone, hopefully)
Cold War late life introduced a "rampage inducer", which makes the game harder if you want more of a challenge, and BO6 zombies is shipping with it immediately.

So if old zombieheads are still complaining now, I dunno what's wrong with them, I guess some of them still want the aether story/universe back, but it was pretty terrible/convoluted and severely new player unfriendly so I'm glad Treyarch decided to delete that mess, but I guess some just can't let go of their nostalgia.

cormack12

Gold Member
This is not what's happening.
There's two types of zombies, the older style that had a fixed crew per map and highly convoluted mechanics and secrets to follow the hidden story, which is where the term "easter egg hunt" comes from, because some of that shit was as obscure as having to crouch down in that random spot for a few seconds in simon's quest.

At a certain point the story became insanely convoluted and just downright stupid, so Treyarch just deleted the whole thing in universe, this universe is called the "aether" storyline; the only ones who made it out of the universal deletion were Samantha Maxis and Edward Richtofen, they moved into another, at the time unknown, universe.
Treyarch then tried again with a new story/universe called "Chaos", which was used in black ops 4; this didn't work out and they cancelled it, it's not deleted or anything they just didn't continue with it.
Then they tried once more and started the "Dark Aether" storyline, black ops cold war being the start of it. This universe is where Maxis and Richtofen wound up in and is supposed to be a fresh start of the story but with some familiar elements and is the story that's currently ongoing.
However this is also the universe that made the whole zombies thing canon to the events of regular CoD as well, so zombies is now an actual thing in the CoD universe, instead of just being some separate mode for fun.
This introduced no longer having a fixed crew per map, because it's not some horror movie isolated incident that's just happening to specific people, but to "anyone". So in Cold War, and onwards, you can pick any operator available in MP as well to enjoy zombies. (this also of course serves as a way to sell more operator packs to zombies players as well).
This is also the point where Treyarch started calling the story "main quest", but old zombiehead still say "easter egg" even though it makes no sense.

The old zombieheads dislike this change because it means less flavour in during the map, which is true, but being able to use whoever you want is it's own kind of fun as well.
They also disliked the removal of "gobble gums", even though they were basically pay to win items.
And lastly they bitch a lot about the difficulty being more forgiving now (which is mostly because of cold wars enhanced movement, not so much actually making it easier, the older games were just clunkier).

With black ops 6 treyarch has basically appeased to everyone, they brought back fixed crews for an enhanced story experience, or you can just use whatever operater you want if that is what you prefer.
They brought back gobble gums (though so far it seems you can only earn them, so the p2w aspect might be gone, hopefully)
Cold War late life introduced a "rampage inducer", which makes the game harder if you want more of a challenge, and BO6 zombies is shipping with it immediately.

So if old zombieheads are still complaining now, I dunno what's wrong with them, I guess some of them still want the aether story/universe back, but it was pretty terrible/convoluted and severely new player unfriendly so I'm glad Treyarch decided to delete that mess, but I guess some just can't let go of their nostalgia.
Wtf is all this?

I only remember running round a house boarding windows up and shooting zombos

Wtf is all this?

I only remember running round a house boarding windows up and shooting zombos
That's what most people remember, because getting the story to advance at all was super difficult/obscure in the older treyarch connected games.
Which is obviously not what the devs want since it means you just wasted all this time and effort in something nobody will see.
Cold war made it more directed by having the npcs on the radio saying what you need to do, but some things were still left kinda vague at the start, so it's entirely possible to also not be aware of the story stuff in cold war; the later maps they added like The Forsaken made the radio npcs even more clear in what you need to do.

BO6 zombies will have a "directed mode", so you can enjoy the story by getting even more direction.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is there a way to get the closed beta without pre-order?
$1 Gamepass trial.

Can preorder from Best Buy and they send a code pretty much instantly then cancel preorder

Can walk into Gamestop and put $5 on a preorder they print a code then cancel it

I think Xfinity customers were getting codes

Mossybrew

Glad I took a year off from CoD. Hopefully it feels fresh.
Kind of the opposite for me, after skipping quite a few years of the game, I came back and played a lot of the last two. Now I feel like it's time to skip at least a year again because I'm not feeling much hype about this one.

Branded

Bastard!

I got already redeemed. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You've been hit by

You've been struck by

michael-jackson-smooth-criminal.gif

A smooth criminalllll!

splattered

Just saw an IGN article that says shooters and their meat shields will have proximity chat and can talk to each other.. Holy crap was this already known? Haha so much news came out I can't keep up.

Also just realized today I missed out on the orange twitch rewards for watching streams. Ugh. Some cool beta rewards are coming up though for playing the beta and leveling up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just saw an IGN article that says shooters and their meat shields will have proximity chat and can talk to each other.. Holy crap was this already known? Haha so much news came out I can't keep up.

Also just realized today I missed out on the orange twitch rewards for watching streams. Ugh. Some cool beta rewards are coming up though for playing the beta and leveling up.
Yeah the meat shield proximity chat was revealed a few days ago, this is going to be fun :)

Top Bottom