• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes turn 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin and Hobbes was the only comic strip I read growing up. It was always funny, and sometimes had some oddly deep meaningful points for a kids strip.

I still miss it, but I am happy he retired before he ran the strip into the ground. It went out at a high point, which is what every comic stupid should aim for.
Same. It never lost quality in my eyes, but then again I'm okay with seeing the Transmogrifier three times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
DJ2q4fT.gif

The best thing about the comic is it gets better the older you get

I remember reading it as a kid, and now reading it again it makes a lot more sense

fancimus

Wow, 30 years old. The Calvin and Hobbes comics were among the first things I read religiously. Every once in a while I google Bill Watterson to see if he's said or done anything new. He's given the occasional interview and a few guest comics, but largely stays out of the spotlight.

Icefire1424

Subbed to go through later, but I still read Calvin and Hobbes to this day (namely as a few books hang out in the bathroom).

Ruddles72

I don't think I've read these strips in 20 years; my Dad still has all the books (we both loved them). But I still remember all of the ones that people have linked above.

I must have read each one dozens and dozens of times. I've forgotten so much I learned at that age, but Calvin and Hobbes will be with me forever.

Plus, the last leaves are falling off the trees in my back garden now. Nature's fireworks.

Simply the best.

And it has been preserved for me through Watterson's absolute refusal to sell the series out. The guy turned away countless dollars simply to uphold the integrity of his characters and his comic strip. Had the series blown up, been on cereal boxes, cartoon shows, bad Cgi cartoon movies voiced by Zach Efron, mugs, teeshirt a, etc.. I don't think it would hold as special a place for me in my heart. To this day I don't think there's really anything else that evokes the same kinds of feelings from me as Calvin & Hobbes does

Wanderer5

I didn't read the series till around the start of high school, but man I really loved it back then and still do if not even more. By far the best comic strip ever, with wonderful sparks of creativity and charm that I haven't seen matched from other strips.

Calvin and Hobbes is probably my favorite thing ever - counting books, movies, television, video games, you name it. My connection with it is deep and timeless.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes is one of my most prized possessions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I got tired of lugging around giant boxes worth of books while moving so I donated all of them. The only ones I kept were all the Calvin and Hobbes ones. I don't think I could ever part with those. Every few years I reread them all.

I got a lot of the collections when I was younger. I think they helped to advance my reading skills considerably.

I recently sold/gave them all away, along with other comic collections, but I bought the complete collection on paperback. It was £45, which is an absolute steal. I've been reading through it for a few weeks now.

Calvin & Hobbes is absolutely timeless. I'm glad it ended before it was run into the ground, and I have a huge amount of respect for Bill Watterson for not merchandising the hell out of it.

HUELEN10

Perhaps one day I will fully grasp it without any buts, like fully enjoy it. It's a great work at sadly never clicked with me, and I always learn something new about it. It's kinda confusing, but a classic.

Heck, I thought the strip was much older.

jmood88

Calvin and Hobbes is one of my favorite things of all time. I don't think I can actually explain how much I love it.

Good lord... Calvin and Hobbes fan art is the fucking worst- and that's saying a lot.

I Googled Calvin and Hobbes to take a trip down memory lane and ran into some real gems. :/

Not

Banned
Don't think there's ever been a better comic strip. Actually consistently funny, often incredibly poignant, and occasionally gorgeous.

adj_noun

I remember when newspaper comic sections came with a new Far Side and a new Calvin and Hobbes.

What a time to be alive.

Not

Banned
Good lord... Calvin and Hobbes fan art is the fucking worst- and that's saying a lot.

I Googled Calvin and Hobbes to take a trip down memory lane and ran into some real gems. :/

There are a lot of people with art skills that are much, much, much stupider than Bill Watterson.

That "Bacon" comic. Damn, son. Way to miss every point Watterson ever made by a mile.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I LOVED Calvin and Hobbes. I was sad to see it end, but I understand his reasoning and it was probably for the best.

I haven't read it in years, but reading them in this thread made me laugh. I forgot how much his father trolled him. I really need to pick up The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.

Brofield

This one here changed my life. At some point within the next few years I want to incorporate Hobbes' quote in a tattoo on my upper right arm

Either that, or the final panel from this one here

10fc5f1cbf04515e4027e509d670ecd3.jpg

There are a lot of people with art skills that are much, much, much stupider than Bill Watterson.

That "Bacon" comic. Damn, son. Way to miss every point Watterson ever made by a mile.
You don't like the Bacon comics? They're so cute :c

I just remembered that Clickhole did a video titled, "If You Grew Up with 'Calvin and Hobbes,' You Need to Watch This Right Now," and it was just a slideshow of NSFW fan art.

I was going to post it, but it looks like it's been taken down.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Also my favorite comic like many of you. Just amazing how it was silly, funny, poignant, joyful, and depressing (in a good way), often all at the same time. Always fills me with a sense of longing for my youth when I read it. Tons of respect for Bill Watterson.

Let us take a moment to appreciate Calvin's Dad. The Dad we all aspire to be.

Great post.

This one here changed my life. At some point within the next few years I want to incorporate Hobbes' quote in a tattoo on my upper right arm

One of my all-time favorites.

big ander

happy bday to the comic strip that taught me to read at a young young age. Somewhere in my childhood home there's still a copy of Something Under the Bed Is Drooling with "Property of [me]" written in crayon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom