• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes turn 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I once dated a girl who, when I told her what a big part of my childhood Calvin and Hobbes was, responded with some nonsense about "never really enjoying the cartoons" and thinking "they were kinda unfunny and lame."
I don't want to flat out say that's why our relationship ended soon after but...it ended soon after.

tHedzpt.gif

I remember having this conversation with my dad when I was about 7. This was his given answer.

He even knew what the right answer was. What a guy.

Cannot adequately express the love I have for Calvin and Hobbes and how important it has been to me. It is an amazing work of art that I cherish with all my heart.

One day I'll probably get that complete collection set. It's been discounted heavily a few times in the last year or two. Such a timeless series.
I own it, and sadly it is so nice I'm afraid to pull it out and damage it. I have all the individual books still, but they're torn to all kinds of holy hell from re-reading so much.

Lorcain

The sense of humor, love and friendship that Bill Watterson created between his two lead characters always made me wish I had my own Hobbes. C&H is my favorite comic strip of all time. He created a masterpiece.

I have a customized framed picture of Calvin and Hobbes above my desk right now. They're both airborne out of their wagon after careening down a hill. On the side of the wagon it says "Falcon", with Calvin dressed as Han Solo, and Hobbes with Chewie's ammo belt and pouch. Of course they're both grinning ear to ear.

Still my favorite comic strip and the complete collection I got for Christmas from my Mom (the one who got me into it) back in 2007 is one of my most treasured possessions

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I once dated a girl who, when I told her what a big part of my childhood Calvin and Hobbes was, responded with some nonsense about "never really enjoying the cartoons" and thinking "they were kinda unfunny and lame."
I don't want to flat out say that's why our relationship ended soon after but...it ended soon after.

Yeah, but that was more because your hour was up, playa.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The magic of Calvin and Hobbes is just that. Magic. I get all teary eyed when I read the final panels of the strip.

I did NOT know he played Calvinball with the babysitter. That's AMAZING!!!!

Same. I thought I'd read everything (in the uk I don't think we had the newspaper strips, so I just read he collections), but that is new to me - happy unbirthday present :)

Thanks for the dad strips too - I started reading C&H as a teenager, and now I'm a dad

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Alternate ending:

Yeah, I know it is fake :p

I hate that fake ending. I'm weak as fuck against stuff like that - nearly cried when reading Winnie the Pooh to my kids at bedtime. Fuck loss of innocence, fuck loss of imagination. Who wants to grow up if you have to leave that behind?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Probably the only thing I actually get nostalgic for. Also one of the few things that gives me legit feels on a consistent basis outside actual people and actual events.

Might be a little too serious for the thread - but when I was in HS I was diagnosed with a particularly virulent form of leukemia (now not so virulent apprently, woot Science) - and through the chemo and recovery (was a really rough 6+ months), I basically have blanked out almost all of my memories prior to leaving the hospital.

The one thing I can remember are reading Calvin and Hobbes strips when I was younger. Reading them in the house; when it was snowing outside, trying to form GROSS with one of my friends, desperately wanting a treehouse (I grew up in the Midwest, and in a town very similar to the one Watterson grew up in), all of those things. My love of summer vacations (even as a solid adult now, lol) came from wishing I could do all of those things Calvin and Hobbes did during the summer.

GOAT Comic Strip; and my personal GOAT media anything (movies, tv shows, comics, books, etc)

Sai-kun

Banned
Happy birthday, pals :3 I might break out one of my copies of Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat this afternoon! Can't wait to pass this stuff on to my kids in the future.

GhaleonEB

As a child, I used to clip the comics from the newspaper, and put them in a photo album, creating a book as they ran. When the next book was published, I would toss the old ones from the album as the book replaced them. That way I always had all of what had been published. I looked forward to it daily. Now, I have the big complete collection, and turn to it regularly.

As a child, I read the comic through Calvin's eyes. As a parent, I now see them from his mom and dad's perspectives, and understand and appreciate the levels that Watterson layered into C&H. It's hilarious, philosophical, richly imaginative, filled with still relevant cultural observations and insights into human (and tiger) nature, and often quite bitter sweet. (The break in, the raccoon, the noodle incident.)

It's diffiuclt to overstate the impact Calvin and Hobbes had on me, and continues to. I cannot read that last comic and not tear up. I think of Calvin and Hobbes (and peanut butter on crackers with hot cocoa) every time it snows. Thanks, Bill, for that.

In related news holy shit am I getting old.
Happy birthday, pals :3 I might break out one of my copies of Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat this afternoon! Can't wait to pass this stuff on to my kids in the future.

One of the greatest pleasures of my time raising my kids so far has been introducing them to C&H. They latched on and lit up.

As a child, I used to clip the comics from the newspaper, and put them in a photo album, creating a book as they ran. When the next book was published, I would toss the old ones from the album as the book replaced them. That way I always had all of what had been published. I looked forward to it daily. Now, I have the big complete collection, and turn to it regularly.

As a child, I read the comic through Calvin's eyes. As a parent, I now see them from his mom and dad's perspectives, and understand and appreciate the levels that Watterson layered into C&H. It's hilarious, philosophical, richly imaginative, filled with still relevant cultural observations and insights into human (and tiger) nature, and often quite bitter sweet. (The break in, the raccoon, the noodle incident.)

It's diffiuclt to overstate the impact Calvin and Hobbes had on me, and continues to. I cannot read that last comic and not tear up. I think of Calvin and Hobbes (and peanut butter on crackers with hot cocoa) every time it snows. Thanks, Bill, for that.

In related news holy shit am I getting old.

One of the greatest pleasures of my time raising my kids so far has been introducing them to C&H. They latched on and lit up.

Touching post.

The best ever and a fine example of going out at top of one's game. The day C&H and the Far Side ended were sad ones. It makes me crazy that Peanuts gets all the undeserved love and respect that it does.

Here's a nice appreciation of Peanuts by Watterson himself.

Peanuts is a direct inspiration for a lot of C&H*. Unfortunately, most people know the strip from it's second half, where Schulz consciously decided to make it nicer. Older Peanuts was sometimes quite biting. And a lot better.

* Snowmen, daydreaming protagonist, bicycle (in place of kite).

I don't mean to hijack the thread, as C&H is one of the holy trinity for me, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Krazy Kat. But somebody asked for some good Peanuts strips, so here are a few. Like many strips, they are often better with familiarity, but it's a start.

In terms of pure humor, Far Cry takes the cake. But no comic strip evokes the full range of human emotions as well as Calvin & Hobbes, and that's why it's the GOAT.

I learned what the term weltanshauung meant at the age of nine or so just to understand the punchline to a strip.

Actually, I learned a lot from Calvin and Hobbes. One of my favorite things to read ever.

I never really liked Calvin & Hobbes whe I was really young as I was obsessed with Garfield but the older I got the more it grew on me and now I love it.

Timeless

I read all of these two summers ago. I liked them more as a kid than as an adult. At it's best, it's incredible, but it's not always that good. Part of the problem is I've basically memorized some of them.

The best strip might be the last. It's so hard to write a good ending for anything, and BW did it.

sikkinixx

I read all of these two summers ago. I liked them more as a kid than as an adult. At it's best, it's incredible, but it's not always that good. Part of the problem is I've basically memorized some of them.

The best strip might be the last. It's so hard to write a good ending for anything, and BW did it.

That last comic is so bitter sweet it hurts.

...so I might have had my own stuffed tiger when I was a kid...

...I might have made it talk...

...I might have brought it to school with me...

...and I have tried to walk north to Alaska once...

...my parents miiiiiiiight have questioned my mental stability at the time....

Well it's Dad's fault, he brought me home Homicidal Jungle Cat and the rest was history.

And they think violent movies are a bad influence

My bookshelf has a section dedicated to my C&H books. I even own multiple copies of some because it's worth it.

Best comic strip ever IMO.

EDIT: New Page needs new strip... One of my personal favorites, the last panel is perfect

bdc850805d37012ee3bd00163e41dd5b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom