• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes turn 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bookshelf has a section dedicated to my C&H books. I even own multiple copies of some because it's worth it.

Best comic strip ever IMO.

EDIT: New Page needs new strip... One of my personal favorites, the last panel is perfect

bdc850805d37012ee3bd00163e41dd5b
Thinking about buying that hardcover collection on Amazon. :)

Zubz

Banned
I think I have every one of those "Essentials" collections, where it has every strip and Watterson's commentary at the bottom. Calvin & Hobbes is probably my favorite comic of all time, and I honestly think I appreciate it more going back to it. This thread's seriously pushing me towards picking one up this weekend.

nny

C&H is my favorite ever. Love it so much.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, as C&H is one of the holy trinity for me, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Krazy Kat.

Oh wow, Krazy Kat; my high school library had a couple of Krazy Kat books and I remember enjoying them a lot...it's been a while! I would like to return to it, do you recommend any book in specific?

Blues1990

Oh wow, Krazy Kat; my high school library had a couple of Krazy Kat books and I remember enjoying them a lot...it's been a while! I would like to return to it, do you recommend any book in specific?

My boss had learned a lot from the creator of that comic strip. Knew the guy, & was quite influential to how he approached drawing.

Iought the Collection years ago, easily the best series I've ever read. Loved it as a kid for it's imagination, and appreciate it even more as an adult when I have a better grasp of what's actually going on.

He never caved in for merchandise and remained in full Control of his strip till the end. It was sad to see it og, but he quit when he wanted. I was surprised to find out Watterson never actually had any children.

C&H really is the GOAT comic strip. So much nostalgia, so many feels. Watterson's lack of marketing for his creation really goes to show how much it meant to him, too.

Sai-kun

Banned
For me it's "Lunboks!"

Lunboks kills me every fucking time 😂

Another one of my favorites involves Calvin's mom making tortellini for dinner, and Calvin throws a fit for a couple panels, then ends up in his room looking for 'tortellini' in the dictionary.

I have most of the individual paperbacks, but I do need to get the complete collection. I'm collecting Prince Valiant right now (my other favorite newspaper comic ever), but I can surely pivot some of that money to C+H.

n64coder

Another one of my favorites involves Calvin's mom making tortellini for dinner,

How about the Monkey Heads one? It definitely reminds me of when my kids were little and I would rename food to get them to eat it. One was "Tigger Nuggets" instead of "Chicken Nuggets" since they liked Pooh/Tigger. Instead of shrimp, I would call it "Krill" since Rainbow Fish would eat it. It also reminds me of the few times the kids would look at dinner and declare that it is disgusting.

ch_monkeybrains.gif

I remember for Christmas 94, I got given a far side and C&H anthology. At the time all I knew was far side, and I dismissed Calvin & Hobbes as some little kids comic. And then I read it. Best comic EVER. I absolutely adore the strips with the "serious" artwork, Calvin and Susie playing doctor had me in genuine tears of laughter when I first read it

Ourobolus

Banned
I remember for Christmas 94, I got given a far side and C&H anthology. At the time all I knew was far side, and I dismissed Calvin & Hobbes as some little kids comic. And then I read it. Best comic EVER. I absolutely adore the strips with the "serious" artwork, Calvin and Susie playing doctor had me in genuine tears of laughter when I first read it

Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side are my childhood wrapped up in two comic strips.

C&H is my favorite ever. Love it so much.

I like this book a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0810981521/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also have an long out-of-print one with a forward by e e cummings (who was a big fan).

Krazy Kay is a zen-type thing where reading a bunch in a sitting is the best way to experience it. You wouldn't go wrong to pick any random volume of Fantagraphics' annual collections and reading it straight through. I was doing them all chronologically but got stalled somewhere in the late 20's or early 30's.

There was one strip that always made me lose my shit, and it was one where Calvin was under a cardboard box demanding that his mom give him some cookies for his home planet. I just cannot find it, though.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
"Hoffa gud tay" has been in my vernacular ever since I read this strip.

Oh my god me too hahaha.

We bought the hardcover collection for my old man a few years ago, he fell asleep with one on his chest while reading and woke up thinking he was dying because it was so heavy lol.

Higgy

This might sound stupid but I just lost my cat of 15 years to complications of a stroke. I had such a strong bond with him. And I loved this comic strip. Just reading of few of these is making me tear up a bit.

big ander

This might sound stupid but I just lost my cat of 15 years to complications of a stroke. I had such a strong bond with him. And I loved this comic strip. Just reading of few of these is making me tear up a bit.
not stupid at all, a huge theme of C+H is that emotional honesty is much healthier than either overreacting or tamping things down, and being bummed over a longtime pet passing is 100% reasonable. sorry for your loss!
No cardboard box, but was it this?

calvin-and-hobbes-cookies.gif
this was a favorite of mine for some reason. I think it's as simple as the hair looking hilarious

way more

Two of my favorites.

Calvin threatens a suicide attack for cookies.

Zi0dSBr.gif

Calvin attempts to use social engineering to learn swear words.

0owCuES.gif

When I was a kid I couldn't pronounce Calvin and Hobbes, I called them Kevin and Hob-IS. When x-mas came around I would say I want Kevin and Hob-IS and nobody knew what I was talking about.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
A couple years ago I got rid of a whole bunch of my old books that I didn't need anymore. My old C&H collections were part of that bunch, as the complete collection makes them redundant. I have given away/donated a ton of stuff over the years, but I don't think anything was harder to let go than those old collections. But hopefully some other kid has them now and has joined the ranks of C&H fans as a result.

In terms of pure humor, Far Cry takes the cake.

fmPsxRj.jpg

Broank

Calvin and Hobbes + The Far Side

Was obsessed with those when I was a kid and they are still the undisputed GOATS

nny

I like this book a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0810981521/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also have an long out-of-print one with a forward by e e cummings (who was a big fan).

Krazy Kay is a zen-type thing where reading a bunch in a sitting is the best way to experience it. You wouldn't go wrong to pick any random volume of Fantagraphics' annual collections and reading it straight through. I was doing them all chronologically but got stalled somewhere in the late 20's or early 30's.

Thanks!

Peru

Probably the 2nd best strip behind Peanuts. Peanuts hate from some in this thread is baffling - it's hard to appreciate Watterson without also seeing the influence Peanuts had on his style and work ethos.

(And no, Peanuts didn't get 'nice' or even weaker in the later years. There's more Snoopy, and Snoopy is underrated as a complex character bco merchandise, but that doesn't mean it got weaker. Schulz famously refused to let CB kick the ball even once at the end, a harsh enough decision that he himself thought it cruel.

Schultz admitted that this reoccurring gag brought tears to his eyes as he signed off the final strip. He said: “All of a sudden I thought, 'You know, that poor, poor kid, he never even got to kick the football. What a dirty trick - he never had a chance to kick the football!'”

This big ol kick in the guts was the 2nd to final sunday strip:

7ae19090fbb20130177f001dd8b71c47

lunchtoast

I always loved the triangle smile.

I don't remember why but this one made me laugh so hard as a kid. I think it was what I imagined what Calvin's delivery must have been like.

erL3KXh.gif

Have always really loved C&H. I was home schooled for two years in 7th and 8th grade, and my vocabulary curriculum was simply Calvin & Hobbes. I had one hell of a vocabulary for an eighth-grader. I also developed my own strips and thought I was seriously going to be a comic strip artist for years.

My favorites were the long adventures where he would keep a story going for weeks, sometimes months. It was the biggest reason to own the books for me. So enchanting and nostalgic to me now. Happy Birthday, guys.

Spaceman Spiff!

spaceman-spiff-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom