• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipe

This is what I originally did because I felt forced to, 2 years ago -- Virgin/Koodo/et al. didn't seem worth it then. I don't want to have to appear to get angry with someone on the phone to get what feels like a proper deal any more. I'm not a mean person and I don't think being a jerk to some poor customer service agent is nice in order to gain the audience of a loyalty/retention manager.

It's shitty. I'm tired of it. The people working at Telus are way too nice to deserve that kind of treatment on a day-to-day basis.

I don't want to pay for special groupon offers that I'll never use. I don't want to pay for slick commercials with cute animals that play before my movies. I just want a good deal on my phone.

I'm the same way, but when I negotiated my Telus retention possibilities about 1.5 years ago, I was basically convinced yo had to be dick so I went with it. Didn't fucking work even a bit. Could be I don't know where to draw the line about being a dick or just downright asshole. Every conversation I had with a rep as my alter-ego didn't work and ended up with me just hanging up at some point.

One day I said fuck it, called in and did the exact opposite (funny enough, I acted like myself). I asked for their name, how their day was going and just all around nice. I think it was just 10 minutes of fun talk (from both sides even) between me and the rep before I finally started asking about the phone and what I was interested in getting, and at what price. Worked perfectly and I got what I wanted.

Unfortunately, about 2 months ago I was no longer pleased with my contract (after I saw the Wind plans), sold my iPhone, paid for my cancellation fee with that money and moved to Wind.

I went from 500MB to unlimited data, and all the rest the same minus voicemail (which I didn't want/need anyway). Went from paying $58 a month (taxes) to ~$45 a month. I've gotten a lot of use out of my data now that I don't have to worry about the limit, I'll never look back. Will probably be with Wind for as long as they're here in Canada.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You guys talking about Wind really makes me hope that the next iPhone will support AWS.
This is what I'm worried about. If the next iPhone ends up looking good, then I certainly don't want to be suckered into another shitty $50 iPhone plan again. I just fear any non-Rogers/Telus/Bell route will be still be expensive.

soultron

Banned
I'm the same way, but when I negotiated my Telus retention possibilities about 1.5 years ago, I was basically convinced yo had to be dick so I went with it. Didn't fucking work even a bit. Could be I don't know where to draw the line about being a dick or just downright asshole. Every conversation I had with a rep as my alter-ego didn't work and ended up with me just hanging up at some point.

One day I said fuck it, called in and did the exact opposite (funny enough, I acted like myself). I asked for their name, how their day was going and just all around nice. I think it was just 10 minutes of fun talk (from both sides even) between me and the rep before I finally started asking about the phone and what I was interested in getting, and at what price. Worked perfectly and I got what I wanted.

Unfortunately, about 2 months ago I was no longer pleased with my contract (after I saw the Wind plans), sold my iPhone, paid for my cancellation fee with that money and moved to Wind.

I went from 500MB to unlimited data, and all the rest the same minus voicemail (which I didn't want/need anyway). Went from paying $58 a month (taxes) to ~$45 a month. I've gotten a lot of use out of my data now that I don't have to worry about the limit, I'll never look back. Will probably be with Wind for as long as they're here in Canada.

I'm feeling the exact same way. Another way to get put through to retention is to sound like a power user. Overwhelm the CSA with tech jargon and they'll usually get too confused and instantly pass you off; "Yeah, Telus doesn't have the EXHSPCA-LTE-100x 4.6GHzTURBO smartphone I want really, that's why I want to cancel."

Wind will definitely support LTE, it's just gonna take a long ass time. The auction aint even happening till 2013, then there is a delay after the auction where it all gets sorted out, and then the rollouts have to actually happen. It's quite the debacle. But one day.

I've already moved on since I was able to get an amazing Bell plan from someone on howard forums (used to be on the HMP with Wind). Sold my soul to the devil but for yearly fully subsidized upgrades and 6gb lte data and a 20 dollar voice plan that includes cid/voicemail/unlimited incoming/texting. I just couldn't turn it down. Maybe if there was no yearly upgrades I would have, but alas, can't say no to that. I'm a tech-head. Get bored of stuff fast.

The only thing that I find worrying (or at least I'd find worrying if I was still with wind) is that it's clear they are trying to push people off of their legacy/grandfather plans like the HMP and what have you. So who knows what that means for the future.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ummm...some people like iOS. Hardware quality and app selection is something that is not even close to being caught up on.

I'm really happy with our Galaxy in all regards, and I work with a lot of iOS and Apple products on the development side. Definitely not worth the markup for me, with only the App Store being the real advantage in my eyes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm really happy with our Galaxy in all regards, and I work with a lot of iOS and Apple products on the development side. Definitely not worth the markup for me, with only the App Store being the real advantage in my eyes.
And if your already invested in iOS, it's an advantage to just stick with them. That's been the hook for years. I'll buy whatever the best phone is at the moment. When I bought my 3GS, it was the best out at that moment and thus I've become invested over time. Currently, they're all Androids and I'm leaning that way, but I'm not about to count Apple out. If it's just stuff like the updated Siri in iOS6 that's the selling point for the iPhone 5 without any bigger hardware improvements, I'll happily go Android.

but saying that's the "only" different is a bit unfair. It's quite the huge difference. As someone that uses both android and iOS at the same time, it's crazy how big the difference is.

But to each their own, might not be a big deal for you personally, but it's quite the differentiator. I threw in the unmatched hardware quality as a bonus. Then like mentioned above there is the ecosystem that is pretty great altogether in terms of icloud, music/movies/etc...

I used iphone then android phone then iphone now (4s), and now own a nexus 7 for androiding. I use whatever impresses me overall. There are some things I love in android but some things I hate. App selection is pretty bad in comparison, big issue for me. But it's also the hardware. Enough cheap plastic. Not feeling the large sizes as well. If the next nexus phone is a reasonable size for me, has high end hardware with no compromises in camera and screen and everything else, I might have to seriously consider it. Only time will tell. Hopefully apps get better as well.

Then Apple will show their totally redesigned iphone with no hardware compromises, bigger screen, etc... and I'll cave again :p But that's another story. I didn't cave when I used a nexus S instead of an iphone 4 (actually it was because I switched carriers, lol).

zroid

Banned
As an owner of a 4-year old Blackberry, seeing people argue iPhone vs Android is always entertaining
and a little depressing

bryehn

I used iphone then android phone then iphone now (4s), and now own a nexus 7 for androiding. I use whatever impresses me overall. There are some things I love in android but some things I hate. App selection is pretty bad in comparison, big issue for me. But it's also the hardware. Enough cheap plastic. Not feeling the large sizes as well. If the next nexus phone is a reasonable size for me, has high end hardware with no compromises in camera and screen and everything else, I might have to seriously consider it. Only time will tell. Hopefully apps get better as well.

I have a Galaxy Tab 7+ and it's build is as good as, or better than my iPod/iPhone.

torontoml

Hey, you guys are getting a new Blackberry OS soon. Or something.
LOL, I laughed at that I have an SIII now, but a lot of my friends have a Blackberry of some sort.

I do have a question though those with Blackberry if the company does go under (is that possible) what happens to your phones?

isny

napkin dispenser
And if your already invested in iOS, it's an advantage to just stick with them. That's been the hook for years. I'll buy whatever the best phone is at the moment. When I bought my 3GS, it was the best out at that moment and thus I've become invested over time. Currently, they're all Androids and I'm leaning that way, but I'm not about to count Apple out. If it's just stuff like the updated Siri in iOS6 that's the selling point for the iPhone 5 without any bigger hardware improvements, I'll happily go Android.

This is why when I recently decided to finally get a cell phone I went with an iPhone. I've been using a touch for years, and it's just so much simpler to back up all of my files settings and apps from the touch and start using them right away like nothing changed on the iPhone. I've invested too much in the IOS to start using something else, and I'd prefer to not carry two devices.

bryehn

LOL, I laughed at that I have an SIII now, but a lot of my friends have a Blackberry of some sort.

I do have a question though those with Blackberry if the company does go under (is that possible) what happens to your phones?

They'll be supported by the carrier for a year or two before a mandatory upgrade. RIM will just be fucked and no legit carrier will pick them up again. There will be a surplus of "old" (read perfectly mediocre) phones in canada for the disposable/pre-paid market.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is why when I recently decided to finally get a cell phone I went with an iPhone. I've been using a touch for years, and it's just so much simpler to back up all of my files settings and apps from the touch and start using them right away like nothing changed on the iPhone. I've invested too much in the IOS to start using something else, and I'd prefer to not carry two devices.
I thought about going Touch and another phone, but the Touch is always one or two steps behind the iPhone and I'm tired of waiting. lol

Hey You

Why isn't the monopolies that ICBC and BC Hydro have over the province bigger issues? Does everyone not really give a shit or don't think things can change?

Just wondering, cause I'm not happy with the prices we have to pay for these services currently.

StevieP

Banned
Blackberry 10 has been delayed because Blackberry is stupid lol.

Firing 3000 people will have some effects... Unfortunately, the "stupid" part comes in when you read they're launching the platform on a touch-only phone and will bring out other handsets "at a later date".

There are 2 points to owning a BB that puts them above the other phones I own (including the iphone that I am simultaneously using):

1) BBM, as a legitimate social network (no, imessage or that hookt/liveprofile doesn't even come close)
2) the keyboard - making cranking out emails and text and stuff a joy. The new Bold 9900 keyboard is especially awesome

So why in the name of Zeus would they launch a platform missing what is, in my eyes, the second most important function and selling point of your phone?

Sajjaja

Firing 3000 people will have some effects... Unfortunately, the "stupid" part comes in when you read they're launching the platform on a touch-only phone and will bring out other handsets "at a later date".

There are 2 points to owning a BB that puts them above the other phones I own (including the iphone that I am simultaneously using):

1) BBM, as a legitimate social network (no, imessage or that hookt/liveprofile doesn't even come close)
2) the keyboard - making cranking out emails and text and stuff a joy. The new Bold 9900 keyboard is especially awesome

So why in the name of Zeus would they launch a platform missing what is, in my eyes, the second most important function and selling point of your phone?

It's not like they are abandoning keyboard phones forever. They're trying to play catch up with Android and Apple so they need to appeal to the more casual person with no specific need, and they failed to do that with the Storm. That's where the market is right now.

StevieP

Banned
It's not like they are abandoning keyboard phones forever. They're trying to play catch up with Android and Apple so they need to appeal to the more casual person with no specific need, and they failed to do that with the Storm. That's where the market is right now.

There is already a Torch model that is touch-only. The model with the keyboard has obviously sold a lot more as I do not see that model in stores anymore.

Here's a hint RIM: nobody with "casual needs" is buying a Blackberry. People with specific wants are buying them. Launching their "hail mary" with a device that eschews one of their main advantages is like launching a Mario game starring toad as the main protagonist with Mario joining the cast in an eventual sequel.

Sajjaja

There is already a Torch model that is touch-only. The model with the keyboard has obviously sold a lot more as I do not see that model in stores anymore.

Here's a hint RIM: nobody with "casual needs" is buying a Blackberry. People with specific wants are buying them. Launching their "hail mary" with a device that eschews one of their main advantages is like launching a Mario game starring toad as the main protagonist with Mario joining the cast in an eventual sequel.

That's what's I'm talking about though. They are trying to appeal to the casual market. The idea behind Torch was to mix business and pleasure and that failed miserably. Now I think they're going for the strictly pleasure approach. I remember my brother telling me that the Blackberry would be getting access to the Android market (not sure of the extent or the validity of that claim) but if it does or does not, a prominent name like Blackberry still has a viable chance from recovering.

Ondore

Had a good haul from the RCSS markdowns:

Mass Effect 3 $15
Ultimate MvC3 $12
Alice / Rhythm Heaven Fever $10
(first 3 on 360)

Firestorm

That's what's I'm talking about though. They are trying to appeal to the casual market. The idea behind Torch was to mix business and pleasure and that failed miserably. Now I think they're going for the strictly pleasure approach. I remember my brother telling me that the Blackberry would be getting access to the Android market (not sure of the extent or the validity of that claim) but if it does or does not, a prominent name like Blackberry still has a viable chance from recovering.
Android apps can be repackaged to be sold easily on BlackBerry App World. BB10 runs the app by emulating Android. It's how I use AndroIRC on my PlayBook.

RIM's chance of surviving largely has to do with how much of TAT's work shows through imo but I think BB10 is going to be too late regardless. They just had their incompetent ex-CEOs in charge for too long and our country is going to suffer for it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From Game Centre's (Toronto) Twitter and Facebook feeds.

We mentioned yesterday we've been dropping prices on our used games, and today we've expanded the reductions to include Wii titles. We now have over 90 used Wii titles for under $5!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
LARGE CLEARANCE at Loblaws, Sin and Punishment 2 for $15, Metroid Prime: Other M FOR $15.00

Some odd 3DS, PS3, DS, PSVITA, 360 games, 7.00 - 12.00

Brain Age 2: $7.00

Mortal Kombat vs D.C. Universe 360\PS3 + Animated DC Film = 12.00

Other more popular shit flew off the shelves, 7.00 for some really decent games, across all platforms.

PSP HANNAH Montana bundle $75.00

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone here on Wind mobile?

Seriously tempted to just buyout the remaining year of my Rogers contract, forget about the iPhone 5, get myself a Galaxy S3, and grab the $40 plan. How's the data plan? Is it adequate for streaming Netflix? How is coverage in Ottawa? What happens when you're outside of your home zone?

Sora_N

Holy crap I just got an email from Costco about Rogers' new plan.

6gb Data
Unl My10
Unl Txts
Unl 6PM
Unl Canada-Wide Calling
200 minutes

$60 a month

I'm already paying $55 a month and getting less minutes from Bell, gonna call retentions on my break.

ElNino

6gb Data
Unl My10
Unl Txts
Unl 6PM
Unl Canada-Wide Calling
200 minutes

$60 a month

I'm already paying $55 a month and getting less minutes from Bell, gonna call retentions on my break.

As fair warning - the Rogers plan doesn't include caller id or voicemail.
Also, is the 6gb data LTE or just 3G/4G?

LARGE CLEARANCE at Loblaws, Sin and Punishment 2 for $15, Metroid Prime: Other M FOR $15.00

Some odd 3DS, PS3, DS, PSVITA, 360 games, 7.00 - 12.00

Brain Age 2: $7.00

Mortal Kombat vs D.C. Universe 360\PS3 + Animated DC Film = 12.00

Other more popular shit flew off the shelves, 7.00 for some really decent games, across all platforms.

PSP HANNAH Montana bundle $75.00
So it's the RCSS sale, but only at stores that were renovating?

krae_man

6gb Data
Unl My10
Unl Txts
Unl 6PM
Unl Canada-Wide Calling
200 minutes

$60 a month

Apparently Bell has a similar promotion right now. The Big 3 are all doing a 5/6gb data plan sale right now. They are attempting to give Mobilicity and Wind a swift kick in the nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom