• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Bell has a similar promotion right now. The Big 3 are all doing a 5/6gb data plan sale right now. They are attempting to give Mobilicity and Wind a swift kick in the nuts.

As I pointed out last page, Bell has the exact same plan and it supplies data to lte phones. It doesn't require a contract renewal and is available for a limited time only.

Sora_N

Apparently Bell has a similar promotion right now. The Big 3 are all doing a 5/6gb data plan sale right now. They are attempting to give Mobilicity and Wind a swift kick in the nuts.

Interesting, I'm on retentions $45 plan right now.

500mb
unlimited txt
voicemail
call id
6pm
150 mins + 100 bonus minutes (until 2013)

Added unlimited bell-to-bell for $10 because I kept going over minutes with gf.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can argue to get more data without paying more, lol

MarkusRJR

Where's the best place to buy a new DS lite? My current DS lite is busted, and I'd love to buy a new one. If I have to buy one online, I can only use paypal because I don't have a credit card.

Also, what's the best DS lite color? I had a white model but I think it looks kind of gross after all these years.

krae_man

I think it would be pretty hard to find a new DS Lite now. You're probably stuck buying a DSi or XL. EB has DSi's for $99. Get that.

TheExodu5

Banned
My plan from Rogers is partially from retentions. Currently:

200 minutes voice + unlimited evenings/weekends
iPhone value pack (visual voicemail, 10k texts, caller id, whocalled)
6GB Data

Ends up being $73mo after taxes.

Where's the best place to buy a new DS lite? My current DS lite is busted, and I'd love to buy a new one. If I have to buy one online, I can only use paypal because I don't have a credit card.

Also, what's the best DS lite color? I had a white model but I think it looks kind of gross after all these years.

I think Zellers is your best bet. They always have a heap of old stock.

dream

Is porting from Fido to Rogers (and vice versa) still free?

edit: to clarify, does Rogers still waive the ECF when porting between companies?

Interesting, I'm on retentions $45 plan right now.

500mb
unlimited txt
voicemail
call id
6pm
150 mins + 100 bonus minutes (until 2013)

Added unlimited bell-to-bell for $10 because I kept going over minutes with gf.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can argue to get more data without paying more, lol

There isn't. I know exactly what plan you're on, and not only is it not around anymore, but discounts are not compatible with it any more either. Time to bite the bullet and move to the fab 10 plan with bundle 7 it will cost you a couple bucks more but is a much better plan. By eliminating bell to bell and switching ti the fab 10 you're basically only paying 10 a month for 5.5 extra Gb of data. My guess is that your extra one hundred minutes is feature side so it would migrate to the new plan.

Sora_N

There isn't. I know exactly what plan you're on, and not only is it not around anymore, but discounts are not compatible with it any more either. Time to bite the bullet and move to the fab 10 plan with bundle 7 it will cost you a couple bucks more but is a much better plan. By eliminating bell to bell and switching ti the fab 10 you're basically only paying 10 a month for 5.5 extra Gb of data. My guess is that your extra one hundred minutes is feature side so it would migrate to the new plan.

Is there anymore info for that plan? Or a link.

Zozobra

Hey guys, how do you get retention plans from Rogers? Do you just call them up and say you're going to switch providers? My contract ended this month and I was hoping to get a better deal than what I currently have.

Thanks!

Hey guys, how do you get retention plans from Rogers? Do you just call them up and say you're going to switch providers? My contract ended this month and I was hoping to get a better deal than what I currently have.

Thanks!

I think that's about it. Just call up and say "Hey, I'm cancelling because Bell is offering me a better deal" and then see how low they are willing to go to get you to stay.

Sora_N

Thanks!

If they give you a deal make sure you write it down, and ask for the employee # or something. They usually enter the info into their computers.

zroid

Banned
Some decent flyer deals at Best Buy for 3DS (July 27-Aug 2):

- Trade 1 for Kingdom Hearts

- $10 off any 3DS game via NintendoZone (doesn't specify any restrictions like minimum price, might have to check in-store for details)

Tagg9

- $10 off any 3DS game via NintendoZone (doesn't specify any restrictions like minimum price, might have to check in-store for details)

What's NintendoZone? I already pre-ordered KH for $20 via the Tsilon E3 promo.

KarmaCow

What's NintendoZone? I already pre-ordered KH for $20 via the Tsilon E3 promo.

It's the 3DS app thing that is supposed to give you exclusive content when you the WiFi instore, though I think you can trick the 3DS to have it work at home too.

ElNino

The Rogers deal should be LTE. They're doing 6GB for $30 whether it's 3G or LTE.
That's good if they are finally just making it one data plan and not separating the two. When I had renewed my contract earlier this year, they were still charging a big premium for LTE. Luckily, the corporate plan still allowed the LTE to be added without an extra charge.

It's the 3DS app thing that is supposed to give you exclusive content when you the WiFi instore, though I think you can trick the 3DS to have it work at home too.

The only time I've ever had it pop up was at the Nintendo World store in New York. Seemed useless.

Socreges

Banned
My plan from Rogers is partially from retentions. Currently:

200 minutes voice + unlimited evenings/weekends
iPhone value pack (visual voicemail, 10k texts, caller id, whocalled)
6GB Data

Ends up being $73mo after taxes.
Did you just have this:

6GB Super Plan

...with VM and CD tacked on for free? That's what I'm going to go for, at least.

Anyone know of any comparable plans from Telus or Bell?

[edit] just read the rest. my bad

ohlawd

Future Shop has the same thing for Kingdom Hearts but iunno about NintendoZone.

Guess I'm going out tomorrow :p

iphys

I didn't even realize NintendoZone was at Canadian BestBuy locations, although I know they've had deals like that in the US. With any luck it actually works, because I've found connecting to NintendoZone locations doesn't always work even with finagling around to accept user agreements in the browser, although I did find one NintendoZone location in the US that just worked automatically without my having to do anything.

zroid

Banned
I didn't even realize NintendoZone was at Canadian BestBuy locations
I don't think it was. Afaik it's pretty much been reserved for Starbucks and McDonalds up till this point. I'm glad we're getting the Best Buy expansion finally, hopefully these promos will keep coming.

Sora_N

How does that NintendoZone promo work, I don't get it? Is there some sort of coupon you can show them through your 3DS or something?

iphys

Yeah, I heard someone in the US say they connected to NintendoZone in BestBuy and it told them they could save a certain amount on Super Mario 3D Land, so then they just showed their 3DS when they paid. I'm not sure if it's like a bar code on the screen that they scan or how they do it exactly.

Anyone here on Wind mobile?

Seriously tempted to just buyout the remaining year of my Rogers contract, forget about the iPhone 5, get myself a Galaxy S3, and grab the $40 plan. How's the data plan? Is it adequate for streaming Netflix? How is coverage in Ottawa? What happens when you're outside of your home zone?
Yep. Data comes unlimited. Streaming wise I don't know, I've got a crappy old Blackberry but probably gonna switch to the S3 soon. Coverage in Ottawa seemed good to me. Outside of a wind home zone, it is classified as away and you get charged as such. But ANY Wind Home zone counts as a home zone, check out their site for coverage.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So it's the RCSS sale, but only at stores that were renovating?

That's total bullocks because the College Square Loblaws definitely wasn't renovating.

I haven't gone out of my way to the Kanata, and Orleans RCSS to check if the deal applies to them as well.

But check your local LOBLAW, the deal isn't exclusive to construction stores lol.

Is there anymore info for that plan? Or a link.

Bell.ca go to mobility, rate plans, fab 10, promotional plans. It's right there with the 6gb right now. Bundle 7 is just bundle 7, not sure where it is.

And as I've said before, when trying to get ret deals, just ask nicely. Here is what I want please do your best to accommodate me.

stolin

A friend once told me its an SD card sent by Nintendo, which is inserted into a 3DS, and turns it into a router of sorts.
Also, what is this supposed deal at BestBuy for?

How come it's always the friends that spread silly info... seem pretty straight forward.

Nintendo Zone
Bring your Nintendo 3DS system to any of over 29,000 locations to receive an automatic and free connection to Wi-Fi. Once connected, discover Nintendo Zone: watch 3D videos, full length animations and sports highlights, play demos and trivia challenges, find retailer promotions and coupons - and much more! To get started, tap the blinking Nintendo Zone icon on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo 3DS system.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone

Cheerilee

How come it's always the friends that spread silly info... seem pretty straight forward.

Nintendo Zone
Bring your Nintendo 3DS system to any of over 29,000 locations to receive an automatic and free connection to Wi-Fi. Once connected, discover Nintendo Zone: watch 3D videos, full length animations and sports highlights, play demos and trivia challenges, find retailer promotions and coupons - and much more! To get started, tap the blinking Nintendo Zone icon on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo 3DS system.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone

The Nintendo DS Download Stations worked like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DS_Download_Station

450px-DS_Downloadstation.jpg

Software on a not-for-sale cart turns an ordinary DS sitting inside a locked box into a host for whatever downloads Nintendo wants the retail store to offer.

It wouldn't be all that strange for Nintendo to connect boxes of 3DS units to the store's secure WiFi, and then have your 3DS jump through Nintendo's connected 3DS to reach Nintendo Zone, rather than making stores offer unsecured WiFi, or making the stores program their routers to allow any traffic that's trying to reach Nintendo Zone.

Also, ordinary unsecured WiFi (like at your home) apparently won't take you to Nintendo Zone (unless you trick it). That means there's something at the retail locations directing your internet traffic to where Nintendo wants you to be.

schlew

So what's the cheap qualifier of choice this time? :p

I'm hardly a deals expert, but from Best Buy's listing of titles, can't seem to find anything cheap. Future Shop's drop down selection of applicable titles isn't working for me, so I can't say how they fare. Are BB's and FS's applicable trade-in lists often the same?
I did see Kirby Return to Dreamland on BB's, so if you can get that for cheap at Staples, then you might be in luck.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

I don't have any of the eligible games [that I'm willing to let go], so boo to this. I tried seeing if I could find any of the eligible titles for less and trade it in but nope lol.

Kazerei

Banned
Amazon is doing a buy one get one at 50% off for select psvita games.
However I think there is an error in their system because when checking out, it becomes buy one get one free.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html...f_rd_i=3198031

I was able to get resistance and unit 13 for around 40 bucks. I think unit 13 is sold out though.

Thanks. Gravity Rush is temporarily out of stock, but I still placed my order. Hope it goes through.

zroid

Banned
Alright, I return from Best Buy with tales of anguish and fortune!

It was tough goings, because even though I connected to Nintendo Zone, the coupon was nowhere to be found. Had to talk to an employee, and we went through a whole rigmarole of looking at the flyer and trying to figure out what to do with the NZ app.

Eventually, she managed to find the coupon code from the back and just did it manually. So the NZ thing was a bust, but they are aware of the code so it does work. There also don't appear to be any restrictions on minimum price. I got Tetris Axis for $9.99 ($19.99 regular).

Also, SM3DL, MK7 and Mario Tennis are all on sale for $29.99 this week, so you should be able to get them for $19.99 this way. That's a pretty sweet deal. :)

TL;DR version: I got $10 off Tetris Axis so it was $9.99. the NZ app might not display the coupon, but they will be able to apply it manually.

Sora_N

Alright, I return from Best Buy with tales of anguish and fortune!

It was tough goings, because even though I connected to Nintendo Zone, the coupon was nowhere to be found. Had to talk to an employee, and we went through a whole rigmarole of looking at the flyer and trying to figure out what to do with the NZ app.

Eventually, she managed to find the coupon code from the back and just did it manually. So the NZ thing was a bust, but they are aware of the code so it does work. There also don't appear to be any restrictions on minimum price. I got Tetris Axis for $9.99 ($19.99 regular).

Also, SM3DL, MK7 and Mario Tennis are all on sale for $29.99 this week, so you should be able to get them for $19.99 this way. That's a pretty sweet deal. :)

TL;DR version: I got $10 off Tetris Axis so it was $9.99. the NZ app might not display the coupon, but they will be able to apply it manually.

I wish Kid Icarus was on sale for 29.99 lol. Is Mario Tennis worth getting for a quick play? I find Mario Kart isn't good for short bursts, but tempted to rebuy at $20.

SickBoy

TL;DR version: I got $10 off Tetris Axis so it was $9.99. the NZ app might not display the coupon, but they will be able to apply it manually if they are part of that rare breed of Best Buy employees that actually wants to be helpful.

That's probably a little more accurate ;)

Nice to see it worked for you.

zroid

Banned
Oh, another thing. In case you missed out on the Tsilon offer for KH3D, you should probably be able to pre-order it now from BB (in-store) and get $10 off on Tuesday coupled with the 800RZ points.

That's probably a little more accurate ;)

Nice to see it worked for you.

Probably :p

The girl who attended me this time was exceedingly helpful. Actually at the store I go to (Markham), I haven't had many problems with aloof employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom