• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

What's the best ISP to choose in BC for online gaming? I'll be living in Kamloops BTW. Seems like they all suck pretty hard.

Moving out of the house for the first time and have to choose all these things, still haven't chosen a cell phone provider. (Yeah I'm one of those weirdos that has never had a cell phone, actually yeah, in addition to my original question, which cell provider should I choose? :p)

SickBoy

Ichor said:
What's the best ISP to choose in BC for online gaming? I'll be living in Kamloops BTW. Seems like they all suck pretty hard.

Moving out of the house for the first time and have to choose all these things, still haven't chosen a cell phone provider. (Yeah I'm one of those weirdos that has never had a cell phone, actually yeah, in addition to my original question, which cell provider should I choose? :p)

I dunno. Looks like both Telus and Shaw are both available there. Shaw is fine, generally speaking. They do have and will presumably will enforce caps at some point, but probably outside of the realm of typical usage.

We're on Telus now and I'm very happy with it. Our Optik Internet is reliably faster than our old Shaw connection, but we were only ever paying for Shaw's standard high-speed (the level above lite). From everything I've read, I think a lot of it depends on where you're located. We're in a newer neighbourhood (house is less than 10 years old), so the infrastructure is a lot better than it is in older communities. If you're moving somewhere older, you may want to see if you can find how people are liking it. You also may need to get a TV package to get Optik, and last time I looked, their comparable standalone service wasn't as good a value. So if you're not looking for TV, maybe not your first choice.

Firestorm

Ichor said:

ISP: Telus has always been my preferred ISP. I've used Shaw and Telus and Telus has been much more consistent as well as offering some great promos.

I can't help with wireless coverage for Kamloops, but pricing-wise, Rogers is usually best of the big 3 in the long run of due to their better retentions department. Virgin could be good if Bell's network is better in that area.

RS4-

Is anyone planning to go to the Mississauga store opening sale for NCIX this saturday, July 16th?

If so, PM me please. I'll ask if you could do me a favor and grab a specific LCD monitor for me if it's on sale, I'll be happy to pay you price + the favor, as I'm not too sure if I'll be in town when the sale goes down :(

edit - whoops, I said CanadaComputers when I meant to say NCIX

I believe Telus has a fixed speed while Shaw doesn't. That was a few years ago though so it may have changed. I remember talking to friends on Shaw and they were able to get really fast speeds due to living in a low-usage neighbourhood.

nolookjones said:
if anyone is going to the stampede there is a sony ps vita truck there...i wanted to go but missed due to too much booze...
Time to reevaluate your priorities

Tagg9

Lone_Prodigy said:
I believe Telus has a fixed speed while Shaw doesn't. That was a few years ago though so it may have changed. I remember talking to friends on Shaw and they were able to get really fast speeds due to living in a low-usage neighbourhood.
I can't speak for Telus, but Shaw's speeds can vary wildly if you are in a central area. I get anywhere from 3MB/s to 1MB/s depending on the time of day.

nolookjones said:
if anyone is going to the stampede there is a sony ps vita truck there...
This is just a hunch, but are you in Vancouver? :p

Red Dead Redemption $19.99 Walmart starting July 15th, I think that is a great price for the game, plus it is on the flyer, so Price Matching would work if you have flyer..

So does anyone still play this game?

Conceptor

RS4- said:
Is anyone planning to go to the Mississauga store opening sale for NCIX this saturday, July 16th?

If so, PM me please. I'll ask if you could do me a favor and grab a specific LCD monitor for me if it's on sale, I'll be happy to pay you price + the favor, as I'm not too sure if I'll be in town when the sale goes down :(

edit - whoops, I said CanadaComputers when I meant to say NCIX

Holy shit! This is awesome - I live about 10 minutes (driving) from there! You originally had CC, so I went and checked and they're having a Grand Opening in Whitby the same weekend lol. Anyway, I could try, to be honest, but I dunno if I would be able to accommodate your purchase with my budget as well. Maybe another Gaffer who is gonna be there?

I'm sorry :(. I'm a poor undergrad student ;__;

Planning on picking up a 2500k, an mx518 (my first gaming mouse wheeee) and the 4gb @ 1600 Corsair XM3 ram they have up. Planning on upgrading my parts by this October but I don't think the 2500k will go any lower.

Also, I suppose I should ask. Have any of you guys ever gone to a grand opening type event for anything? How early did you go? And how did it turn out?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MetalFearSolid said:
Red Dead Redemption $19.99 Walmart starting July 15th, I think that is a great price for the game, plus it is on the flyer, so Price Matching would work if you have flyer..

So does anyone still play this game?
I was in a Walmart yesterday and it was already that price.

RS4-

Conceptor said:
Holy shit! This is awesome - I live about 10 minutes (driving) from there! You originally had CC, so I went and checked and they're having a Grand Opening in Whitby the same weekend lol. Anyway, I could try, to be honest, but I dunno if I would be able to accommodate your purchase with my budget as well. Maybe another Gaffer who is gonna be there?

I'm sorry :(. I'm a poor undergrad student ;__;

Planning on picking up a 2500k, an mx518 (my first gaming mouse wheeee) and the 4gb @ 1600 Corsair XM3 ram they have up. Planning on upgrading my parts by this October but I don't think the 2500k will go any lower.

Also, I suppose I should ask. Have any of you guys ever gone to a grand opening type event for anything? How early did you go? And how did it turn out?
I went to the NCIX warehouse sale a month or so ago, lined up at 530, was like near the front of the line. Sale wasn't great, just LCDs really and it paled in comparison to the Vancouver sale. Just your typical group of hoarders who then try to make a profit on rfd and not tell people items were open box/refurb etc lol.

The monitor I'm looking at is still listed at $189 :( hopefully instore it's around $140.

Future Shop

cci14072011000032.jpg

cci14072011000042.jpg

Trade 2 games, get it free:
Call of Juarez - The Cartel $59.99(PS3/360) $49.99 (PC)
Captain America $49.99 (PS3/360)

250 GB Xbox 360 w/ Bioshock 2 $299.99
Tiger Woods Playstation Move Bundle (Tiger woods PGA 12) $99.99
Playstation Move Sharpshooter and Playstation Move Navigation Controller $39.99

SOCOM 4 $49.99
Killzone 3 $49.99
PS3 Bluetooth Headset $19.99

Crysis 2 $39.99 (PS3/360)
Tiger woods PGA tour 12 $39.99 (PS3/360)

Dead space 2 $29.99 (PS3/360)
Need for speed Hot Pursuit $29.99 (PS3/360)

Best Buy

cci14072011000012.jpg

250 GB Xbox 360 w/ Gears of War Triple Pack $299.99
Call of Juarez - The Cartel $59.99 (PS3/360)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 $49.99 (PS3/360/WII) $29.99 DS
Lego Harry Potter Years 1 - 4 $29.99 (PS3/360/WII)
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller $59.99 or buy 2 and save $20

160 GB Playstation 3 w/ Uncharted 1 $299.99
Playstation Move Bundle $79.99
LA Noire $59.99 (PS3/360)
Driving Force GT for PS2 and PS3 $129.99

$49.99 Each
Little Big Planet 2
Killzone 3
SOCOM 4
Gran Turismo 5

$39.99 Each
Dragon Age 2 (PS3/360)
Shift 2 Unleashed (PS3/360)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (PS3/360)
Alice Madness Returns (PS3/360)
Shadows of the Damned (PS3/360)
Brink (PS3/360)

Source: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8662367&postcount=42

Walmart

cci14072011000002.jpg

cci14072011000022.jpg

Call Of Jaarez: The Cartel $47 after July 21st $59.83
Captain America Super soldier $47 after July 21st $59.83
Red Dead Redemption $19.83

RCSS

the only reason im posting is cheap Rango DVD/Blu-ray.

RCSSO_58c572ac-8a48-4e98-a6d0-da8e45fc5a26_150_WK29_GM_L1_01.p1.p1.jpg

TRU:

110715_TRU_ENG_2E_3ixke.jpg

daevv

Gonna get me Red Dead at Wally World. I've been wanting to replay it and try the zombie addon. $20 for the core game is a deal!

sikkinixx

is there a crazy deal on a 460gtx or 5850 around? I'm looking no more than ~130$ out of pocket, rebates are always nice but since they take months to arrive. I should have gotten the 460 MSI card that went for $120 a bunch of times. Argh. Wanna get a new card before I o back to school and have no money for a year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not seeing anything in the flyers that's a great deal besides RDR.

BOGO on Scotch Brite would be pretty good, probably cheaper than just buying No Name scrubbing pads like I normally do.

SickBoy

BTW, for the people who were curious about it, Shoppers has a 20x points day tomorrow (Saturday). If you're buying a big-ticket item, like a 3DS, you get a pretty sizeable number of points (just shy of 50,000, which is worth $85 when you redeem).

You have to spend at least $50 to get the bonus, which gives you 10,000 points (the lowest redemption level is 8,000 points, worth $10)

iphys

People in AB have to spend $60 for the 20x event for some reason. I wonder what they have against AB, because they only gave them 15,000 points on the last 18500 point event too. I would feel sorry for poor Alberta, but they have the lowest tax. My dad used to say it actually costs the stores more to operate in AB when they charge the same prices nationwide because having no PST means businesses get taxed more by the province to make up for it, but AB has such a reputation for low taxes across the board I'm not sure if that's really true these days.

btkadams

iphys said:
People in AB have to spend $60 for the 20x event for some reason. I wonder what they have against AB, because they only gave them 15,000 points on the last 18500 point event too. I would feel sorry for poor Alberta, but they have the lowest tax. My dad used to say it actually costs the stores more to operate in AB when they charge the same prices nationwide because having no PST means businesses get taxed more by the province to make up for it, but AB has such a reputation for low taxes across the board I'm not sure if that's really true these days.
i've never heard that before but i won't pretend i'm an expert ha (albertan).

SickBoy said:
BTW, for the people who were curious about it, Shoppers has a 20x points day tomorrow (Saturday). If you're buying a big-ticket item, like a 3DS, you get a pretty sizeable number of points (just shy of 50,000, which is worth $85 when you redeem).

You have to spend at least $50 to get the bonus, which gives you 10,000 points (the lowest redemption level is 8,000 points, worth $10)

Such an awesome thing. I have been doing this kind of stuff for a while. And when you redeem during their bonus days, that's worth even more! I got my 3DS almost for free doing this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Main Event said:
Someone at RFD is reporting that there will be a price drop between those dates. Good time to pick one up for those who want one.
July 28th you mean?

That's somewhat tempting, even if there are no games...

survivor

Banned
The Main Event said:
Someone at RFD is reporting that there will be a price drop between those dates. Good time to pick one up for those who want one.
Damn. $50 savings? Must be good news for people who are getting one.

I want to buy one, but I really want to hold out for the newer model.

Fuzzy

This weekend's door crashers at EB.

July 16 - Chibi-Robo Park Patrol (DS) for $9.89
July 17 - Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands (360) for $4.89

vulva

The Main Event said:
I'm gonna be out of the country until the 3rd. If I bought one there now, would wal-mart refund me said amount of money if I held on to my receipt and came in while the sale was still going on?

soultron

Banned
The Main Event said:
Goodness me. I'd definitely bite at that price. SF64 and OoT3D here I come.

survivor

Banned
Fuzzy said:

I have never heard of that DS game. Is the PoP deal for PS3 as well? At $5 I'm very tempted to get it even though the game is probably terrible.

Anyone know if these Rogers cable/internet retention deals that require you to make a 12 or 24 month "commitment" are any easier to get out of than a phone contact? Is there an ETF on these?

What is a "commitment" exactly? I didn't sign anything. We have one year left and I'm just ready to cancel cable and switch to OTA cable and netlifx + teksavvy internet right now.

Fuzzy

survivor said:
I have never heard of that DS game. Is the PoP deal for PS3 as well? At $5 I'm very tempted to get it even though the game is probably terrible.
Chibi-Robo was a Wal-Mart exclusive from Nintendo.

Whenever a door crasher lists a platform then the sale is only for that platform. The game is pretty good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fuzzy said:

The EB I stopped into today still had the Wayne Gretzky Wii NHL Slapshot game on in the door crasher spot. Maybe they didn't have CRPP in stock? The district manager was at the store fiddling with the balloons and posters so I assume if they were displaying the wrong game, it was with his blessing.

SickBoy

Fuzzy said:

Both were on sale today at my EB. Got the last (gutted) copies of each, Chibi was $4.89, though, not $9.89.

I hadn't planned on getting it, but the reviews seemed reasonable and it's a good price... the Nintendo points don't hurt, either, although they weren't a major factor. EDIT: Ha, good thing, too... apparently not eligible for coins...

soultron

Banned
For someone who hasn't played POP2008, is Forgotten Sands a more recommendable game?

POP2008 looks gorgeous, but if FS is a better game, I'll pick FS up for $5.

Firestorm

soultron said:
For someone who hasn't played POP2008, is Forgotten Sands a more recommendable game?

POP2008 looks gorgeous, but if FS is a better game, I'll pick FS up for $5.
If it's not, then stay far far far far away. PoP '08 was beautiful but atrocious.

soultron

Banned
Firestorm said:
If it's not, then stay far far far far away. PoP '08 was beautiful but atrocious.
But it looks so pretty. I guess it's the beautiful, bubbly, blonde airhead of the Prince of Persia family then. :[

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soultron said:
But it looks so pretty. I guess it's the beautiful, bubbly, blonde airhead of the Prince of Persia family then. :[
As my only Prince of Persia game, I thought POP2008 was beautiful. It's one of those simple, shallow games that gets carried by the art style and charm. Gameplay was fine too, although quite simple. None of the other POP games look any good to me as the art styles they have are just look horrid.

But oh god that ending is just unspeakably bad.

Firestorm

The one redeeming grace (aside from visuals and dialogue) was the finale IMO. It was very well done.

My issue with the game is that it doesn't feel at all like you're playing it. In the Uncharted games, even when you hit a scripted event it feels like it happened because of an action you executed. In Prince of Persia, everything you do feels like you had no control over it. You'll hit jump and it won't actually do it until 2 seconds later when you were supposed to hit it. It completely kills the illusion of control you should have when playing a video game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Firestorm said:
The one redeeming grace (aside from visuals and dialogue) was the finale IMO. It was very well done.

My issue with the game is that it doesn't feel at all like you're playing it. In the Uncharted games, even when you hit a scripted event it feels like it happened because of an action you executed. In Prince of Persia, everything you do feels like you had no control over it. You'll hit jump and it won't actually do it until 2 seconds later when you were supposed to hit it. It completely kills the illusion of control you should have when playing a video game.
Perhaps the delivery of the ending was good, but it in itself was, IMO, terrible because of the circumstances of what happened, and it even worse because they decided to either retcon it or had it planned all along to release the real ending as DLC with "Epilogue" prefixed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom