• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I've owned an iPhone 3GS for 2 years, meaning I have 1 year left on my contract with Rogers. I have a 6 GB data plan (and phone) plan with them.

I just bought an iPad a couple days ago and asked them how much it would cost to set up data sharing to include the iPad, since I never come close to using the 6 GB. Their answer?

$30 a month.

This fucking country and it's telecoms are god damn ridiculous.

For $35 a month, I could get 5 GB for the iPad alone, but I don't want that much (or don't want to spend that much I should say). Does anyone know of any deals or have any advice on what I should do?

lupinko

Mike Works said:
Okay, so I've owned an iPhone 3GS for 2 years, meaning I have 1 year left on my contract with Rogers. I have a 6 GB data plan (and phone) plan with them.

I just bought an iPad a couple days ago and asked them how much it would cost to set up data sharing to include the iPad, since I never come close to using the 6 GB. Their answer?

$30 a month.

For $35 a month, I could get 5 GB for the iPad alone, but I don't want that much (or don't want to spend that much I should say). Does anyone know of any deals or have any advice on what I should do?

Can't you just add it to your existing plan for just $10? Unless Rogers got rid of that and it was only a limited time promotion.

hoverX

Mike Works said:

$30 a month.

You could tether the iPad to the iPhone for $0 per month

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The next couple of door crashers at EB from CAG.

July 18th: X-Men Origins Wolverine (Wii) - $4.89
July 19th: My Sims Sky Heroes (DS) - $4.89

survivor

Banned
Fuzzy said:
The next couple of door crashers at EB from CAG.

July 18th: X-Men Origins Wolverine (Wii) - $4.89
July 19th: My Sims Sky Heroes (DS) - $4.89
I'm starting to lose faith that we will ever get something as good as Nier like last time they did the door crashers deals.

lupinko said:
Can't you just add it to your existing plan for just $10? Unless Rogers got rid of that and it was only a limited time promotion.
They're telling me that I have to pay $30 because I'm on a 6GB data plan.

Dunno if that makes sense to you, because it sure as hell doesn't to me.

Firestorm

Mike Works said:

You'll be surprised how many of these "rules" can be broken with the phrase "I'd like to cancel my services with Rogers".

Mike Works said:

I ran into this problem too. As I understood it, the 6gig plan is too old to be sharing compatible, so your choices are a) more money or b) switch your plan, which is a one way process and probably means re-upping.

I chose option c) free tethering but if you don't have an iPhone 4 you'd need to jailbreak for that as mentioned already.

EDIT: For awhile I went with option d) though and just got the minimum data package on my ipad. Never came close to maxing out but no contract and you can re-up right away for more data, so it was very low risk.

Fuzzy

MetalFearSolid said:
Door crashers isn't the right word..CLEARANCE SALE is more like it
In this sale the term "door crasher" isn't about customers crashing through the doors to get to the sale but instead it's EB throwing the games through the doors in the hope they'll get rid of them.

Mike Works said:

I've never heard of that. I'm scared to ask about doing that when i get the iPad.

Firestorm said:
You'll be surprised how many of these "rules" can be broken with the phrase "I'd like to cancel my services with Rogers".
Just got it reduced to $10 by doing this. It's ridiculous that I feel like I just got a "deal", but there you go.

Firestorm said:
The one redeeming grace (aside from visuals and dialogue) was the finale IMO. It was very well done.

My issue with the game is that it doesn't feel at all like you're playing it. In the Uncharted games, even when you hit a scripted event it feels like it happened because of an action you executed. In Prince of Persia, everything you do feels like you had no control over it. You'll hit jump and it won't actually do it until 2 seconds later when you were supposed to hit it. It completely kills the illusion of control you should have when playing a video game.

I know it's been a page and a half since this topic, but I have to post that I disagree with the controls thing. Once you figure it out, it becomes almost a timing/rhythm game mechanic. Overall, it resulted in much more fluid gameplay. I don't mind that it "kinda feels" like you have less control. It was just very fun to watch the prince skillfully and fluidly going from one place to the next without ever stopping - a flaw I found persistent through most of the other PoP games, and games like it.
It's sort of like a Dragon's Lair kind of experience if you get what I mean.

Fuzzy

survivor said:
Bad Company 2 is very tempting at that price. Plus with free shipping for one game. Very tempting.
It's out of stock. Anyone who got the GH game/controller bundles for $30 before they went OoS were very lucky.

Wait. Um, I might have missed this but did Hulu just suddenly start working in Canada? I am not getting the region block warning, whats going on here? Did the border suddenly roll over a part of southern Ontario while I wasn't looking?

TheExodu5

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Wait. Um, I might have missed this but did Hulu just suddenly start working in Canada? I am not getting the region block warning, whats going on here? Did the border suddenly roll over a part of southern Ontario while I wasn't looking?

Not working for me in Ottawa.

TheExodu5 said:
Not working for me in Ottawa.
Weird. I watched an episode of Tiger & Bunny over the weekend on it and I just started up an episode of Eureka so its definitely working. Now I am worried if my house got annexed and if I need my passport to go outside.

Edit: Either way I might as well ride it for all it's worth while I can.

Fuzzy

Next few EB door crashers from RFD:

July 20th: Resistance Retribution (PSP) - $4.89
July 21st: Ratchet and Clank Future - A Crack in Time (PS3) - $4.89 & Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Wii) - $4.89
July 22nd: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (DS) - $9.89 & EA Sports Active (Wii) - $9.89
July 23rd: EA Sports Active (Wii) - $9.89 & White Knight Chronicles (PS3) - $4.89
July 24th: FACEBREAKER (XBOX 360) - $4.89
July 25th: Create (Wii) - $4.89

I'll be gone for a week so if there are more someone else will have to post them.

Holy shit at that Ratchet, I'm glad I waited on that game. Sick deal. So how do these door crashers work, do you just go pick up the game off the shelf and it's scanned in as that price? Do you gotta ask for it?

-Pyromaniac- said:
Holy shit at that Ratchet, I'm glad I waited on that game. Sick deal. So how do these door crashers work, do you just go pick up the game off the shelf and it's scanned in as that price? Do you gotta ask for it?

New price (not used), limited quantities. If you're early you can probably get a sealed copy, or else you may end up with a gutted one.

You could also try to price-match at FS/BB/etc.

Bah, I live 2 minutes walk away from an EB in a mall, luckily that one isn't super popular so I might be good. Guess I'll go when it opens in the morning to try and get a sealed one.

survivor

Banned
I don't know if I should get White Knight Chronicles at that price or wait for the second one to bomb and get it since it will have the first game.

survivor said:
I don't know if I should get White Knight Chronicles at that price or wait for the second one to bomb and get it since it will have the first game.
Get the second one. I got the first and sunk 65 hours in it and enjoyed it quite a bit so it's probably a ton better with the improvements of the second. So I'd wait.

DJ_Lae

Anyone who preordered Dark Souls from Best Buy know if the E3 preorders will come with the collector's edition stuff? I just noticed they've added the CE to their site since the deal, but my orders just show the regular edition.

Not sure if e-mailing to ask would do any good, as I did get a $16 discount from the game.

So, have any of Gaf's Canadian bargain hunters been buying new TV's lately?

I've been lurking in the LCD vs Plasma thread for a while and holy shit, buying a new display is confusing as hell. Especially when you don't have time to do extensive research.

Been looking around for some of the Panny Plasma models a lot of posters have been recommending. Unfortunately, the deals up here are nowhere near as sweet as they are in the US.

If you come across any good TV deals, feel free to post em! =D

dream

Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time is a fantastic game. And I say that as someone who thought he was bored to death of that franchise before buying it during the last EB sale.

Is White Knight Chronicles any good? I mean, I know it's 5 bucks but...you know.

dream said:
Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time is a fantastic game. And I say that as someone who thought he was bored to death of that franchise before buying it during the last EB sale.

Is White Knight Chronicles any good? I mean, I know it's 5 bucks but...you know.
like I keep saying, if you have a JRPG itch, it's a no brainer. It's capable and good enough, or you might even really like it. If you don't really have an itch to play a good ol' jrpg then you'll probably buy it and complain.

Battle system is mmo-ish, the world itself is actually quite nice, story is decent enough, a bit predictable but servicable. Steal at 5 bucks.

Ondore said:
Grrr, want that $5 Crystal Bearers but it'll be gone by the time I get there.

Doubt it'll be sold out. It was part of the last round of doorcrashers (at $10 or $20 though) and they still have copies floating around.

Blockbusters had stacks of Facebreaker at $5 and 70% off. Doubt they sold them all even at that price.

Rocket Punch said:
When does this start? Flyer posted doesn't say.

Flyers usually run Friday-Thursday, so you have today and tomorrow.

frequency

dream said:

I love that game. It was definitely in my top 5 of that year.
But I have questionable taste in games. I don't think it reviewed too well, but then I don't think any JRPG reviewed well this generation.

I don't know how the online community for it is nowadays, but I had a lot of fun with that part of the game. I'm not usually an online gamer though, so I wouldn't have noticed if it's particularly bad compared to other online experiences.

Also, I don't know if it matters to you but the second one is coming out in September. WKC2 has the entire WKC1 game included with the updated battle system. But $5 is $5, so...

SickBoy

At 89 cents, I'll buy Facebreaker... apparently Gamestop figures if it offers its stock at $4.89 frequently enough, eventually they'll sell it all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom