• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelight

dream said:
Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time is a fantastic game. And I say that as someone who thought he was bored to death of that franchise before buying it during the last EB sale.

Is White Knight Chronicles any good? I mean, I know it's 5 bucks but...you know.
You've got a couple of answers already but I guess another can't hurt :)

I enjoyed the game. It was pretty mediocre over all: the story was nothing special, the characters were kind of lame, the battle system was too slow, and I never needed to use anything in battle beyond the standard attack, a heal spell, and transforming for the big guys...but there was just something about the game that kept me going. I finished it up without feeling like I just wanted to get the damn thing done with already.

I also thought the dungeon design (with the exception of the last dungeon) was very well done.

Certainly worth more than $5 if you ask me.

-Edit- Oh, and I tried going online a few months ago and that aspect of the game may as well be considered dead. What people were still playing online were of such a high rank that a newbie like myself couldn't do a damn thing.

I need some help making a purchasing decision. Should I get a wii? I had one for a couple of months a few years ago but I lost/sold/misplaced it.

Mainly I am thinking about getting No More Heroes for the PS3 but since I don't have a move I am going to need to buy that as well. But then I might want to play the 2nd game as well and it's probably never going to make it over to the PS3. Plus there would be a backlog of gamecube games I have never played. I would probably want to get the metroid prime trilogy because I played some of the first one, during the short time that I had a Wii, and thought it was fun. But I am not really interested in nintendo games and probably wouldn't play them, I tried playing Twilight Princess but got bored with it after an hour or two and never went back.

Is the Wii U only going to be backwards compatible to the Wii, should I wait until then, am I really missing out on some great gamecube games?

This probably would have been an easier decision if it didn't mean getting a move for only one game.

Lostconfused said:
I need some help making a purchasing decision. Should I get a wii?
I tried playing Twilight Princess but got bored with it after an hour or two and never went back.

I felt the same way about TP (my first Zelda game since the original one). I'm not you, but I'd say: don't get a Wii.
I find the controls to be unprecise and turning the system on seems like a chore. If it wasn't for my daughter I'd have sold it years ago. BUT if you really want that one game and it's worth $160 (or whatever the price is for a Wii and game) then go for it.

StevieP

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I need some help making a purchasing decision. Should I get a wii? I had one for a couple of months a few years ago but I lost/sold/misplaced it.

If you want to play No More Heroes, do it with motion controls. Get a Wii. It will only be slightly more than getting a Move, and will allow you to play your gamecube games as well.

Is the Wii U only going to be backwards compatible to the Wii, should I wait until then, am I really missing out on some great gamecube games?

The Wii U will only be backwards compatible with Wii. There is talk about downloadable GC games on their EShop, but us Canadians and our bandwidth caps.... well you get the idea.

There are a ton of great GC games that will probably miss out on the downloadable service, anyway. (i.e. I can see them porting Wind Waker and Sunshine, but I highly doubt Rogue Squadron II and F-Zero GX will get moved, etc etc).

Lostconfused said:

Mainly I am thinking about getting No More Heroes for the PS3 but since I don't have a move I am going to need to buy that as well. But then I might want to play the 2nd game as well and it's probably never going to make it over to the PS3. Plus there would be a backlog of gamecube games I have never played. I would probably want to get the metroid prime trilogy because I played some of the first one, during the short time that I had a Wii, and thought it was fun. But I am not really interested in nintendo games and probably wouldn't play them, I tried playing Twilight Princess but got bored with it after an hour or two and never went back.

This probably would have been an easier decision if it didn't mean getting a move for only one game.
At this point in the cycle, if you can still only muster up interest for just one game, then yeah, you should just pass on it, as hard as it is for me to imagine out of this many games you'd only have interest in just one.

AlphaTwo00 said:
At this point in the cycle, if you can still only muster up interest for just one game, then yeah, you should just pass on it, as hard as it is for me to imagine out of this many games you'd only have interest in just one.
Well that's the thing I haven't been following Wii news because I didn't own one. The reason I am not interested in anything else is because I have no idea what games there are in the first place.

But depending on how you look at it, that just supports your argument even more.

Lostconfused said:
Well that's the thing I haven't been following Wii news because I didn't own one. The reason I am not interested in anything else is because I have no idea what games there are in the first place.

But depending on how you look at it, that just supports your argument even more.
Yeah, it's a little like that. I dunno, at this point, consider how cheap some of the best games have gotten, you might want to do some research to see if there are hidden gems that you may have missed. Games like Muramasa, Little King Stories and Rune Factory can be found around $20, which I'd say is definitely worth the price of the admission.

Good point about Wii U though, but given that most launch lineups will be barren, how would the Wii U be any different than the Wii?

ElNino

Picked up a copy of Ratchet at the EB in Eaton's Center this morning; it looks like they only had a few copies left unless there were more in the back. It wasn't sealed, but everything is inside the case and looks unused so I'm good. For $5, even if it was used I wouldn't complain (too much).

btkadams

-Pyromaniac- said:
The Ratchet series is just plain fun with lots of charm.
Yup. The last game was absolutely amazing. I can't wait for the new one, despite it looking quite different from the previous games.

frequency

Does anyone know of any retailers that still sell PS2s? I've been meaning to buy a back up console for the longest time (I have a launch PS2 that I worry will die), but didn't want to pay $100. Now I don't see them in stock anywhere anymore.

Online or local is fine. I'm in Winnipeg.

GBONZZZZ

frequency said:
Does anyone know of any retailers that still sell PS2s? I've been meaning to buy a back up console for the longest time (I have a launch PS2 that I worry will die), but didn't want to pay $100. Now I don't see them in stock anywhere anymore.

Man, I work at the St. James Best Buy and we had like 10 in stock probably over a month ago. Haven't got any since :(
I was hoping they'd go on clearance sometime soon, cuz I want one myself, but that's never happened. I'll send you a message if we ever get any in stock again.

GBONZZZZ said:
Man, I work at the St. James Best Buy and we had like 10 in stock probably over a month ago. Haven't got any since :(
I was hoping they'd go on clearance sometime soon, cuz I want one myself, but that's never happened. I'll send you a message if we ever get any in stock again.

Pls post in here too cuz I'm looking for one as well :O

SickBoy

I was gonna post this at CAG as well, but I'm not logged in at work, so if anyone posts both places, please duplicate...

Looking at our Superstore flyer for the weekend, looks like there's some good digital download future deals: 1400MS points for $15, and $50 on PSN for $40.

Anony

frequency said:

try loblaws/superstore with an electronics section

Ondore

Managed to get a Crystal Bearers at the MicMac Mall (Dartmouth) EB Games today. Couldn't tell if it was gutted (no shrinkwrap, and the SE Members card was sticking out), but for a fiver I'm not gonna complain.

daevv

-Pyromaniac- said:
Just picked up Crack in Time for 5 goddamn bucks from the EB door crashers thing. It was new and sealed if anyone is wondering.

I went in today for that and all they had was Kane n Lynch 2 ugh..

daevv said:
I went in today for that and all they had was Kane n Lynch 2 ugh..
Damn that sucks, they had a bit of a stack when I got mine. Not a hugely popular location, especially mid-week during work hours.

frequency

GBONZZZZ said:
The last time I was at the St. James location, they had like... barely any games in stock. Most of the shelf was empty. And for some reason there was a huge empty space just to accommodate the TV set-up they have for the PS3 and 360 (not the ones on the back wall).

But anyway. I would greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know if you guys get more in stock.

The Superstore on Sargent doesn't seem to have any. I'll check out some Shopper's and further Superstore locations on the weekend.

DJ_Lae

My Zellers had GBA Micros up until a couple of years ago. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one (they were $50 on clearance or something).

Just picked up Crystal Bearers or whatever it's called today - oddly enough still had a ton of copies left only an hour before the mall closed. It's only five bucks, though, worth a shot (I also bought Blood Drive back during the other sale and that game was absolute garbage).

Hopefully I can get White Knight on Saturday.

Also, and unrelated to videogames, but I noticed HMV has buy one get 50% off all box sets, TV or otherwise. Most of their prices are pretty insane, but I guess if you see something you like it's not terrible. Their regular price on The Wire or The Shield were actually cheaper than Amazon.ca's (although not nearly as cheap as their daily deals recently).

Check WalMart. The one in Brantford, Ontario recently got a shipment of 5. I picked one up after my 80g PS3 died.

ShaneB

SickBoy said:
I was gonna post this at CAG as well, but I'm not logged in at work, so if anyone posts both places, please duplicate...

Looking at our Superstore flyer for the weekend, looks like there's some good digital download future deals: 1400MS points for $15, and $50 on PSN for $40.

Awesome for the Points!! Will pick those up for sure after asking not long ago for such a deal. Thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SickBoy said:

Damn, that's awesome. I wish I had an RCSS here. :(

ShaneB said:
Awesome for the Points!! Will pick those up for sure after asking not long ago for such a deal. Thanks!
Also to note, No Tax event (at least for today). They've also dropped all "value games" to $15.

Takao

Banned
The Main Event said:
Not gaming related, but until Sunday at HMV, buy a movie/TV DVD/Blu-ray box set and get the 2nd one 50% off.

Is there any restrictions on that? Would be a decent way to grab some Dragon Boxes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just bought 16,800 Microsoft points for $203 at Dominion (Loblaws / Real Canadian Superstore). Should last me until late 2012.

Neki

Stumpokapow said:
Just bought 16,800 Microsoft points for $203 at Dominion (Loblaws / Real Canadian Superstore). Should last me until late 2012.
lol do you really need that much? You must love indie games!

Vamphuntr said:
Is Lost Planet 2 worth it for 10$? It's 10$ at Archambault.
Yes. I enjoyed it quite a bit. There isn't much of a story, but fighting giant monsters is very fun. The later levels are some if the best I've played this gen.

ShaneB

Was able to price match at Walmart, no tax.

Could've gotten greedy and taken em all, but just picked up 3. Not bad at all.

I need the help of Teksavvy GAF. Leaving POS Rogers and wanted to go to Teksavvy for home phone and internet. Dropping cable all together.

I've always heard good things about internet but what about the home phone? Do they use the Rogers or Bell lines with that too?

One thing that I have to give Rogers credit for (barf) is that paying for 10mb/s gets me 10mb/s. I've never had an issue with not getting what I'm paying for.

I notice Teksavvy advertises "up to" 10mb/s. This is the only thing that worries me. I hear some mixed things about people getting anywhere from 2-20mb/s on any given day. Are these claims exaggerated?

I currently have an SMC Rogers modem/router in one. It's worked fine for me. Teksavvy offered me the RCA dcm425 (thompson). Is this any good? I don't want to break the bank here. Also, if it is cheaper to buy the modem not with Teksavvy then where is the cheapest place I can buy one?

I'm also going to need a router so please offer up suggestions for that. $30-$50 range that can handle good speeds if I ever end up going on a higher mb/s plan than 10.

Advice needed please!

Gotta say though, my first customer service experience with Tek was pretty awesome. I called to get info on their services and my phone battery died after 10 minutes of talking to this girl. I was pissed but 5 seconds later she called me back. Would have never happened with Rogers.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Veen with tek for about 3 years and wad one of the first to switch to cable.

It is true you won't get full speeds since they are just reselling Rogers' lines, BUT customer service and being treated well and 350gb limit and the option for unlimited for a reasonable price is the cincher.

Everyone should stop giving monies to Rogers.

Do you think its worth it to upgrade to the Extreme Cable internet package rather than the Express? Is the difference noticeable? (netflix, youtube, apple tv)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:
Do you think its worth it to upgrade to the Extreme Cable internet package rather than the Express? Is the difference noticeable? (netflix, youtube, apple tv)
I'm on extreme pro with no cap, but extreme would've also been good. I worry about cap (though i don't think tek give a shit) since I have three other users in the house using it.

As for a noticeable increase? Not really. Both are good, but I often have several things going on at once and there can be some stuttering if you're streaming and dling and browsing and other stuff.

This is what I'm getting as of a few mins ago.
1399915857.png

How the F@#$ is that possible when your only paying for 15mb/s?

~__~

August 24th is my installation date. :)

Decided to stay with Rogers for home phone, though. Better price than Tek could offer me.

Modem and router suggestions please, folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom