• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Jagxyz

Airport futureshop in Brampton, no-one outside but the line goes all the way around the store inside. Didn't even bother, pickup counter had only 3-4 though.

Talked to a guy coming out who said only ghosts for Xbox was left. How reliable wad he? Dunno.

therapist

Had to wait 1.5 hrs in boisbriands , but got a copy of cod ghosts.

I heard some places were giving one copy of each game , but this place it was really one per customer , still worth it.

I showed up at opening , 50 in front of me , once i left there was like 200 behind me...crazy!

Mikey Jr.

jopAXwe.jpg

This is what Trinity in Brampton looked like.

This was at 9:45.

Not worth my fucking time.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Took me 1 hour to get two games with a friend - got Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts

Now on to the next Future Shop with my reserved copy of Assassin's Creed 4.

I'm happy. It felt like Boxing Day but more organized lol

The manager advised me that they would be out of stock by noon. They won't have stock to honor the promotion as it went through until Monday.

sunofsam

Ditto. I had AC4 reserved for pickup at the SJ location but didn't bother going in to get it.
Yeah I have AC4 as well, they called me last night and said it was ready for pickup. I asked about waiting for the promo and he said yes that was good to go.

What time you heading back?

Zing

Banned
I'm still in line at Newmarket store. Arrived 15 minutes before opening. Store is out of stock on a few PS3 games already. I'm getting Wii U versions and they guy said I was literally the first person asking for them.

gzero

Yeah I have AC4 as well, they called me last night and said it was ready for pickup. I asked about waiting for the promo and he said yes that was good to go.

What time you heading back?

I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I had preordered AC4 and KZ for PS4 and FS shipped them both out yesterday, this way I won't have to return anything.

Longish lines in Kanata, got there about 9:30 AM for BestBuy, a buddy went to Futureshop for his games instead. Glad I picked BB... they enforced the limit 1 per person and asked ahead of time what game the people in line wanted to know if they had enough or not and then announced when they were out of a particular one.

My friend at FS said that they didn't enforce the limit 1 and there were people in front of him trading 4-5 games at a shot, and they didn't have enough for all the people who had waited in line for up to 2 hours.

Ended up with COD for WiiU, not my first pick (I wanted AC4) but they had only 1 AC4 WiiU and it was already taken. The guy at the counter had to ask me twice that I wanted COD on the WiiU, and was still shocked when they brought it out from the back. "Holy crap this exists?!" :)

Thank god I brought 2 games just in case there was trouble, because they won't take a game marked "Not for Resale" on it. I was trying to trade my old Guitar Hero Areosmith which had that in small print on the back, I never even noticed. Ironically I bought it used from them years ago, they didn't seem to have a problem reselling it then ;)

Great deal, I don't know why they are doing this but I intened to play and enjoy my new game! I hope Karma comes around and bites all of those hoarders who screwed the legit gamers.

sunofsam

Thank god I brought 2 games just in case there was trouble, because they won't take a game marked "Not for Resale" on it. I was trying to trade my old Guitar Hero Areosmith which had that in small print on the back, I never even noticed. Ironically I bought it used from them years ago, they didn't seem to have a problem reselling it then ;)

Hmm, my 2 games are "used" and have FSV in black marker near the spindle hole. Tjat ran anything?

Kyou

On the west coast

Got AssCreed and COD after 20 minutes in line. The manager decided to open early and didnt give a shit about the one per

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
For anyone going to Merivale FS:

AC4 is out for both the PS3 and 360
BF4 is out for 360
CoD is out for PS3

ref

Anyone know if Amazon.ca is shipping the PS4 ahead to get here for Friday?

By the sounds of things, no. It will ship on Friday, but probably won't arrive until earliest Monday.

This is what Trinity in Brampton looked like.

This was at 9:45.

Not worth my fucking time.

Good grief.... don't blame you. I wouldn't want to wait for that. It's a great deal, don't get me wrong, but nope, just not interested in that sort of mess.

Good luck to all the other people doing this. If it was in Winnipeg, I'd probably try and go, I don't think the lines would be too bad here....

I'm still in line at Newmarket store. Arrived 15 minutes before opening. Store is out of stock on a few PS3 games already. I'm getting Wii U versions and they guy said I was literally the first person asking for them.
just got here, only ghost left

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Dear god please let them honour ISPU's and please let there be a separate line for them...

Total shilling: Our deal was totally better than this deal which makes you wait hours and hours in a line :p

That being said, I wonder if this is something they did because they've got PS4 and XB1 kiosks in stores now. Maybe get people in the stores so they could see the systems. That being said, this deal was *too* good that it probably will be way too crazy for anyone to be even checking out those systems.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Total shilling: Our deal was totally better than this deal which makes you wait hours and hours in a line :p

That being said, I wonder if this is something they did because they've got PS4 and XB1 kiosks in stores now. Maybe get people in the stores so they could see the systems. That being said, this deal was *too* good that it probably will be way too crazy for anyone to be even checking out those systems.

How can a deal be better than free? :p (or 10.- for all 3 games if you do TIV :p)

Lexxism

I'm still waiting for you guys to restock NFS and NBA2K14. Hopefully this time the stock will be a lot more.

Kifimbo

Crazy morning.

I still don't see how this make sense for FS/BB. If they ordered too many copies and they weren't selling, why not make a similar deal but the customer has to pay 10$ or 20$ + one used games. Or why not put a lurist of eligible games to make sure you won't be stuck with old sports games ?

Not that I'm complaining.

Just got in a line at the Best Buy in Kanata. They're managing it pretty well, going through the line and telling people whether they'll get the games or not. Downside: I'm in line for another hour.

So I understand they may have been sitting on a ton of stock and wanted to get rid of them, but what on earth are they going to do with the thousands of copies of these 50 cent games people are trading in and no one will buy? This seems so dumb. Couldn't they have marked down these games to $20 and made money off this rather than just giving them away? At $20 for one weekend only you'd still have crazy big lines like this AND you'd actually not be losing as much money than giving them for free.

This can't have been a future shop/ best buy decision. Probably Microsoft or Sony funding this and hoping people trade them in for next gen versions + buy systems? No idea but I'm intrigued.

Edit:damnit kifimbo! Lol but my thoughts too.

wingz

Got to Heartland around 8:30 am. I was around 30th in line. When the store opened, I believe there was around 200 people waiting. Got my copy of BF4. Apparently they had lots of copies of BF4, but they ran out fast of COD Ghost. I asked if there were going to replenish for tomorrow, the CSR said no. Went to Heartland Best Buy to check out the line, and that was pretty huge as well, didn't feel like waiting any longer, so I just went home.

I did get to try Killer Instinct, which was pretty awesome.

Seik

Banned
In Quebec here and went to 2 FutureShops and one Best Buy.

FS/BB still have copies of Ghosts, though they doesn't seem to have any copies of BF4/AC4 left. I got lucky to have AC4, but it's because it was on the Wii U and nobody were taking these, heh.

Got Ghosts and AC4 for Wii U, bought a copy of Ghosts on PS3 that I exchanged for Deus Ex Wii U + an extra 20$ from my pocket. Good stuff.

Took 4 hours, which I think is worth it since I saved 150$+. :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There's no way in hell I would've waited in line as long as some of these people for these games. Fuck that. I didn't even think it was worth reserving any of them.

Grimsen

Got all three games from the FS promo. My reservation was honored.

Took 2h:45m. They also refused to take my transformers WFC and my Kinect Adventures. Good thing I had extra games to trade.

Anyhoo, 203$ worth of games with tax. Crazy deal.

Hyunkel6

I just got to my local FS, and there is still at least a 30 mins line. You still have to make the line even if you ordered online. I guess I'll come back later.

Jagxyz

There's no way in hell I would've waited in line as long as some of these people for these games. Fuck that. I didn't even think it was worth reserving any of them.

Picking them up if you reserved them took less than 5 mins though :p

I kinda felt bad seeing everyone lined up, and then just walking over to the empty pickup counter.

No_Style

Using BB/FS E3 promo along with this offer:

Nov 15 - Jan 4: Get $40 credit when you trade-in any PS4 or Xbox One title @ BestBuy or FutureShop

This is the sane option for me. No need to wait in the cold or in a store for 2 hours.

It's too bad they didn't allow more reserves.

Got all three games from the FS promo. My reservation was honored.

Took 2h:45m. They also refused to take my transformers WFC and my Kinect Adventures. Good thing I had extra games to trade.

Anyhoo, 203$ worth of games with tax. Crazy deal.

That's wrong. The deal was ANY PS360 and Wii U (and 3DS/Vita?) game. Naturally I can understand if you didn't want to go through the trouble of talking to a manager who's likely swamped more than Shrek.

Seik

Banned
That's wrong. The deal was ANY PS360 and Wii U (and 3DS/Vita?) game. Naturally I can understand if you didn't want to go through the trouble of talking to a manager who's likely swamped more than Shrek.

There conditions though, a few people I saw got screwed by these:

-It won't be accepted if it's written 'Not for Resale' on the back.
-It won't be accepted if it doesn't have the box.

Top Bottom