• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Hey guys, I asked this in the PS4 thread but I figured this would be a good place to ask too:

I don't have a PS4 preorder. All futureshop stores in Canada are guaranteed at least 25 non-preordered units in stock on the 15th.

For a city my size (Saskatoon, 250k people) when do you guys think I should line up? They open at 8:00, would 6:00 be good? 5:00? Earlier? Any advice from someone with experience with console launches (especially in a similar sized city) is very welcome.

I walked right in and bought a 3DS here when that came out but this is sure to be a bigger launch than that was.

Hey guys, I asked this in the PS4 thread but I figured this would be a good place to ask too:

I don't have a PS4 preorder. All futureshop stores in Canada are guaranteed at least 25 non-preordered units in stock on the 15th.

For a city my size (Saskatoon, 250k people) when do you guys think I should line up? They open at 8:00, would 6:00 be good? 5:00? Earlier? Anyone advice from someone with experience with console launches (especially in a similar sized city) is very welcome.

I walked right in and bought a 3DS here when that came out but this is sure to be a bigger launch than that was.

If I were you and if I really want a PS4 on day 1 without a pre-order, I would just keep driving around a FS location from Thursday and would just line up when there are 5 people in line. Might be 24 hours or 10 hours before launch, whatever it is.

big_z

All Edmonton futureshop and bestbuys are picked clean. A couple of stores still have a few copies of cod left. I asked some stores about restocking for tommorow and they said no.

Oh well still got my e3 preorders.

Lothars

For a city my size (Saskatoon, 250k people) when do you guys think I should line up? They open at 8:00, would 6:00 be good? 5:00? Earlier? Anyone advice from someone with experience with console launches (especially in a similar sized city) is very welcome.

I would consider getting there at like 4 or 5 am if not earlier on the day of unless they are doing a midnight opening than I would go at like 7 or 8 pm that night.

Lexxism

The site still shows both AC4 and BF4 for both Xbox One and PS4, unless I'm missing a specific nuance in the previous comment?

Yup because EBgames is only showing COD:Ghost on their site banner and no mention of BF4 or AC4. Probably because you can now the trade-in for COD while for the other two, you still need to wait till Tuesday to do that.

FrsDvl

Anyone else not get charged for BF4 PS4 by BestBuy? They shipped it Friday, but never charged me yet. Also, had anyone got their KZ SF shipped yet from best BestBuy?

Haines

Banned

My advice would be to just wait past launch. You are going to have this console for like another 7 years, what will 2 weeks hurt. If anything you will get your system after launch issues.

big_z

With the wii launch there were more than 50 in line 8 hours before the stores opened. Going an hour or two before opening is risky I don't think you'll get one since the flipper assholes will be in line.

Some stores hand out tickets for stock before the store opens. You might want to call and ask if yours does it and what time they'll hand them out. My local bestbuy started doing this so people don't freeze to death waiting.

Or If you want to be a real dick tape a sign to the door after store closes saying ps4 sold out so no one lines up.

Haines

Banned
ps3 launch we started lining up at walmart at 4pm the day before, and this was a small town. you better believe these lines are going to be insane and if you want to wait in the them all the power to you, but ill be at home playing games just as good in my living room with beer <3

If I were you and if I really want a PS4 on day 1 without a pre-order, I would just keep driving around a FS location from Thursday and would just line up when there are 5 people in line. Might be 24 hours or 10 hours before launch, whatever it is.

Hmmm I see. Maybe I'll give it a check around midnight and see what the situation is like.

I would consider getting there at like 4 or 5 am if not earlier on the day of unless they are doing a midnight opening than I would go at like 7 or 8 pm that night.

Gotcha. No midnight launch at that location. I was hoping that 5am is early enough but we'll see.

With the wii launch there were more than 50 in line 8 hours before the stores opened. Going an hour or two before opening is risky I don't think you'll get one since the flipper assholes will be in line.

Some stores hand out tickets for stock before the store opens. You might want to call and ask if yours does it and what time they'll hand them out. My local bestbuy started doing this so people don't freeze to death waiting.

Or If you want to be a real dick tape a sign to the door after store closes saying ps4 sold out so no one lines up.

Hmmm I forgot about flippers. I should see if they're doing tickets, yeah. Good call.

And I'm a dick, but not that much of a dick!

Bdub

For a city my size (Saskatoon, 250k people) when do you guys think I should line up? They open at 8:00, would 6:00 be good? 5:00? Earlier? Any advice from someone with experience with console launches (especially in a similar sized city) is very welcome.

I was able to get an XBone pre-order at the Source last week. You might want to try there.

Not that it matters much, but it is me who misunderstand or Best Buy will not double my reward zone points(Gamer club) for buying a Playstation 4?

The gamerclub page states the following: "2x the points for every dollar spent on all new and used games and gaming accessories." I don't see console in there, which seems pretty cheap of their part! haha

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Canada-GAF, is anyone participating in this GT6 contest by Playstation Canada? You need to guess cars in order to enter for a BMW lease. Does anyone have the results for week 1? I'm catching up but struggling to guess them all.

As a last gen retrospective: The PS3 "preorder line" at EB was 12AM, and the Wii line was around 4AM.

Got 2 copies of COD Ghosts yesterday as well as my brother also getting two. He's plays that trash and I don't. Ended up trading my two unopened to EB for a copy of Killzone SF. Still was not worth yesterdays wait.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Got 2 copies of COD Ghosts yesterday as well as my brother also getting two. He's plays that trash and I don't. Ended up trading my two unopened to EB for a copy of Killzone SF. Still was not worth yesterdays wait.

Then why did you go and take 3 copies away from people that were interested in playing the games.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Was not leaving that particular FS after a 3 hour wait with nothing.

Hey, you decided to go there to begin with, you could have always turned back if you weren't interested in the games and given people actually interested a chance at getting them.

I'm just saying. You're complaining about a slight inconvenience in exploiting the deal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Then why did you go and take 3 copies away from people that were interested in playing the games.

Based on the amount of Kijiji ads I saw online right after the doors opened, I'm sure 90% of the people there were not interested in playing the games.

edit:

ps3 launch we started lining up at walmart at 4pm the day before, and this was a small town. you better believe these lines are going to be insane and if you want to wait in the them all the power to you, but ill be at home playing games just as good in my living room with beer <3

That's just insane, please tell me it was a midnight launch.....

Hilti92

GAF, any idea where I will be able to get a PS4 at launch without a preorder? Is it possible... Might not get one but kind of want the option to if I get excited enough launch day.

Urrgh. Futureshop STILL says that my E3 pre-order of Killzone SF is out of stock. I want this before Friday!!

Oh well, first world problems and all...

Zing

Banned
While having a PS4 on launch day might be fun, that shop.ca deal makes the extra two weeks an acceptable wait. I paid less than the system costs with tax and got a game, a year of PSN, and it all delivered to my door.

Hey, you decided to go there to begin with, you could have always turned back if you weren't interested in the games and given people actually interested a chance at getting them.

I'm just saying. You're complaining about a slight inconvenience in exploiting the deal.

This FS apparently didn't get the one per person deal so those really early in line were walking out with Battlefield 4, COD and AC4 for BOTH systems so 6 games total. So their supply of BF4 and AC4 quickly ran out and they were left with COD for PS3 and Xbox =/ Would have preferred either of the other two but they had about 30 copies per system. Seemed like they just wanted to get rid of everything asap rather than manage lines for the whole day.

Canon

Banned
Does anyone know when Sony's $10 PSN credit and 1-free-month of PS Plus promotion ends? It only says "for a limited time," but since I'm probably not gonna get a console until December I don't want to miss out.

Contacted Sony Store regarding my PS4.

They stated that "We are aiming to ship these units for an estimated arrival on November 15, 2013 at our customer’s doors.

Please be informed that this date is not guaranteed as we also depend on our shipping company’s availability."

Good to know they are aiming for 15. Step your game up, Amazon... :/

Am I blind or is there no way to cancel a pre-order on Walmart's website? I'll have to just call them...

Yeah you have to call them. I did some looking into it when I was almost gonna cancel my PS4 preorder before deciding to stick with it. It's annoying but their customer service for their website is surprisingly very good so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

FS downtown still had some Ghosts 360 as of 1pm (no idea how many more since they only had about a dozen visible but the guy said there were more). I was lucky and went in when the line was shorter; in and out in 5 minutes.

It looked like they moved all the shelves away from the returns area to accommodate the crowds.

rinse82

While having a PS4 on launch day might be fun, that shop.ca deal makes the extra two weeks an acceptable wait. I paid less than the system costs with tax and got a game, a year of PSN, and it all delivered to my door.

I got the shop.ca deal that ships on launch day :)

Instead of ps plus, an extra ds4 though

Returners

I suggest to check on the line first before you go to sleep.

The WiiU line IIRC was a couple 20 people walk-ins at the downtown Toronto BB.

Wii line back in 2006 was crazy, lined up overnight from 11pm to next day. Then again, this is Toronto.

Tagg9

Yeah you have to call them. I did some looking into it when I was almost gonna cancel my PS4 preorder before deciding to stick with it. It's annoying but their customer service for their website is surprisingly very good so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks for the info. Just called them, cancelled the order and was off the phone in literally less than 3 minutes. That is some of the fastest customer service I've ever encountered.

BTW, I was also calling to cancel my PS4 preorder. I also have it preordered at FS and EB, both of which I suspect will have enough stock. I don't mind having one spare to return, but I don't need three.

Smo21

I traded in some games to EB games using my platinum card and want to redeem the amount online so I can get Nier, but when it asks for my card info it won't except it. I activated on the edge site and it still won't work. Closest ebgames that has Nier is 24km away.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I don't know where else to ask. Thanks.

sikkinixx

EB in Park Royal mall said 'need a receipt for cod ps3 to ps4 deal'. I argued fine print said nothing about it but chick wouldn't budge. Went to EB in north van on way home and they did it right away, and I got an extra 5% value so it only cost me $8 for the upgrade. Thanks futureshop.

Hilti92

EB in Park Royal mall said 'need a receipt for cod ps3 to ps4 deal'. I argued fine print said nothing about it but chick wouldn't budge. Went to EB in north van on way home and they did it right away, and I got an extra 5% value so it only cost me $8 for the upgrade. Thanks futureshop.
So.. How long do we have to take advantage of the swap?

sikkinixx

So.. How long do we have to take advantage of the swap?

What he/she said. ^^

Also, value before adjustment was $45 according to the CSR at EB so currently you're only getting $5 extra, though that seems REALLY high. Maybe because the system was giving me an extra 30% because it's towards a PS4 game?

AC/Battlefield upgrades start on Tuesday.

Is the tax on the $8 value after the credit is applied, or the game's original $59.99 value?

LkPr

Anyone in the KW area have any luck finding an EBGames that will still allow you to upgrade a ps3 copy of COD/BF4 to the Ps4 version for $10. I'm getting turned away A LOT

Top Bottom