• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

a916

It's doubly shady with them changing their rules knowing full well that a lot of people took advantage of the Future Shop trade-in promo on the weekend explicitly to upgrade those copies to next-gen. Especially with all of the mixed messaging going around.

"Oh yeah, we'll do it."
"No wait, we will do it but you have to wait until we get PS4 stock on Tuesday-Wednesday."
"On second thought, fuck you. You didn't buy the PS3 version of the game here so we don't want it back even if it's sealed and we can sell it as used."

It's looking like Sony will get my $10 to upgrade digitally on PSN instead of EB.

The street date for BF4 is Tuesday though... so they are somewhat covered on that aspect. I really hope a lot of people bought for the purpose of reselling it to make a quick buck while I quickly slide in and trade in BF4 for the PS4 version.

woromatt

Neo Member
Any Edmonton Gaffers going to be hitting up the South Common Best Buy for the 8am opening? Me and a few of my friends are gonna be lining up there to pick up our preorders pretty early and I'd love to meet some of you guys. By the way we all work at that location.

And my god that trade in promo for BF4, Ghosts, and AC4 was absolutely ludicrous... I felt so bad for my coworkers who had to do the trade ins.

Called EB to see how much COD:G would be worth for a trade in. They said $30 over the phone, and then I noticed on their site that you get +30% for trading in towards a PS4 game or accessory.

Their website also suggested that I sign up for an EB Edge card, so I did. It told me to print off a temporary version of the card, and an employee at the store would give me a real card.

Went down, showed him the temp card, he had no idea what to do. Tried for 10 minutes to transfer it into a real card, called a manager at another store, nothing.

So then I tried to do the trade, but he said they'd only give $30 (instead of $39). Their reasoning: they actually only give $23 for COD:G, but they have a special promotion that bumps it up to $30, and that promotion can't be used in conjunction with their +30% promotion.

So I said alright, I'll just do the PS3->PS4 upgrade promotion instead, because I may enjoy the game. The guy said it would cost $15. I said the website says $10, but he said the computer says $15.

All the while, the customer next to me is trading in a Wii, a PS3, and 20+ games, so there's a huge lineup forming behind the both of us.

Technology is fun :/

Well the sad part is it's pretty much never the sales associate's fault (I should know; my first ever job was at EB Games!).

In the case of the trade in value, that's just the company being sneaky + basic miscommunication.

In the case of the PS3->PS4 upgrade, I don't know why it's coming up as $15 in their system. I went back to the store and showed them on my smartphone their website and how it says $10, and he overrode it for me.

He was then able to get my EB Edge card working, as apparently you can't upgrade to an actual card until after you make the purchase.

EB can be beneficial (I bought a copy of Steel Divers and Pilotwings for the 3DS for 99 cents each back in the summer just to get the Club Nintendo codes and try the games out... and of course I later went on to trade them for COD:G and Assassin's Creed: Pirates). It's just so much more often there's some new hassle coming from that store.

lupin23rd

Just got an alert on my credit card that I'm approaching my credit limit, which requires a several hundred dollar charge / authorization to have been posted... Future Shop prepping those PS4 pre-orders?

PLEASE SHIP EARLY

Any news on the Future Shop trade-in promo restocking? They've been pretty low on options available over the weekend! Any point in going later this afternoon?

EB hasn't pulled any shit though. I did my COD exchange just fine. These are individual employees setting policy. If you get shit just call the corporate office on them.

EB as an entity hasn't made receipts mandatory.

yeah it's what i do if you run into a stupid employee you can always go above their head and get an issue quickly resolved by whoever the district manager is of that store.

LkPr

Just got an alert on my credit card that I'm approaching my credit limit, which requires a several hundred dollar charge / authorization to have been posted... Future Shop prepping those PS4 pre-orders?

PLEASE SHIP EARLY

Did your order change on the website? Mines showing that my credit card has not been charged yet.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ugh jealous of all of you that preordered your consoles.

I was waiting for the Walmart in store preorders that never happened, and now I have to camp out with all those RFD mouth breathers -_-

d0nd

anybody here buying platinum card for the midnight launch?

from what i heard you'll be able to bypass line to pickup

for ebgames

shuri

Banned
my futureshop pre-order says: Order Status: In Progress and from the online thing, it says that it has charged my credit card.

I can't check my banking stuff from where I am right now, but things are getting REAL

RS4-

Anyone in Toronto looking for a 2800 Xbox points card?

I still have one, and don't plan on using it; I don't think I'll be going back to the MS side for a few years.

LkPr

Is it just me or has ebgames.ca REMOVED the trade-up deal from their website??? There used to be a dedicated page for it now all I see is something in one of the Call of Duty banners

http://www.ebgames.ca/

EDIT: seems like it is still there but it's only accessible from a small banner at the top of the page.

dreww3

Neo Member
future shop charged my credit card too! :D

for what its worth: i preordered June 11th, if yours hasn't gone through you may either be processed later today or in the second batch of ps4's - just my thoughts.

FrsDvl

Best buy charged me too and I ordered one at the end of August! Still haven't charged me for KZ or BF4.. BF4 has shipped out though.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Anyone in Toronto looking for a 2800 Xbox points card?

I still have one, and don't plan on using it; I don't think I'll be going back to the MS side for a few years.

Are you selling, or giving away?

If the latter, I'll take it :)

keakster

anybody here buying platinum card for the midnight launch?

from what i heard you'll be able to bypass line to pickup

for ebgames

^ Yes. It was mentione that platinum edge member will have their own line and will be their priority.

It is their own priority line, but you still have to wait and once they start letting people in the deal's off. At the Ghosts launch I was at there were more Platinum card holders than us regular chumps and they were complaining about having to wait, but for most of them I guess they got out 10 minutes quicker

Side note, has anyone seen any indication from Shoppers that they will be carying PS4? They have big Playstations displays in most of their stores but I haven't seen anything yet. I have so many Optimum points saved up for specifically this reason...

iphys

PS4 is in the Shoppers flyer. Some people are stocking up on the gift card offer right now, and are going to use the gift cards to pay for it.

Yeah, it looks like my Futureshop PS4 order has been charged to my credit card (I ordered on June 11). If it gets here on Friday, great! Otherwise, I'll be driving to EB (I'm 8th on their list) to pick up my pre-order there and return the FS one later. I'd rather not have to leave the house though. Want to stay in my comfy clothes all day long and enjoy the hell out of launch!

Glad I have my bases covered this time around.

keakster

PS4 is in the Shoppers flyer. Some people are stocking up on the gift card offer right now, and are going to use the gift cards to pay for it.

Thanks!

So what are the chances of walking in to a store and buying a PS4? I didnt pre order, kept putting it off. :/

Not at ebgames, FS or BB, but you could try some non traditional places, like Shoppers, random "The Source" locations, that's how I got my Wii U launch day, although the hype was much less

I've got a preorder in at Amazon.ca but since they aren't shipping until Friday, meaning it would be here until next week, I think I'll go out Friday morning and see if I can pick one up at an uncommon store like Shoppers or one of the business depots. If I'm there early I'm sure II'll be able to find one. Everyone seems to be going to the usual places.

Top Bottom