• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Roto13

Living vicariously through all of your posts is making me glad this deal is invalid in Winnipeg :p

Spending about an hour in line total today to get two basically free games makes me laugh at your Winnipeg misfortune. Haw haw, you have to live in Manitoba!

Tiktaalik

There's still a line at Cambie.

11 hours after opening.

-shakes head in disbelief-

I feel bad for the understaffed customer service department.

I have no idea what the hell is wrong with the Cambie Best Buy. I'm honestly inclined to write to the head office at point out how badly they screwed up today. I went to Futureshop downtown, and Best Buy Marine Drive to get my other games and it was a super streamlined reservation system with no issues and I was in and out in a reasonable time. With Cambie though it was a nightmare and I didn't even try to go until late at night because of all the things I'd heard online and even then when I finally went down there was still a ridiculous line.

I mean they screwed up basic stuff like not having separate lines for reservation and non-reservation. The fact that parallel lines are faster than single lines is like retail 101. How could they screw this up?

Sora_N

I have no idea what the hell is wrong with the Cambie Best Buy. I'm honestly inclined to write to the head office at point out how badly they screwed up today. I went to Futureshop downtown, and Best Buy Marine Drive to get my other games and it was a super streamlined reservation system with no issues and I was in and out in a reasonable time. With Cambie though it was a nightmare and I didn't even try to go until late at night because of all the things I'd heard online and even then when I finally went down there was still a ridiculous line.

I mean they screwed up basic stuff like not having separate lines for reservation and non-reservation. The fact that parallel lines are faster than single lines is like retail 101. How could they screw this up?

I'm gonna complain about cambie too. They don't deserve those awards above their service counter.

sikkinixx

Got all three. A total of about one hour of waiting between Futureshop and Bestbuy, not bad at all. Amazing how well it went actually.

People at futureshop explained Sony and MS are footing the bill for this entire ordeal, which is kinda odd. Langley bestbuy said they have done "thousands" of games today. Crazy.

-Deimos

Got all three. A total of about one hour of waiting between Futureshop and Bestbuy, not bad at all. Amazing how well it went actually.

People at futureshop explained Sony and MS are footing the bill for this entire ordeal, which is kinda odd. Langley bestbuy said they have done "thousands" of games today. Crazy.

Did you have reservations for all three?

This isn't even humanly possible for 1 person to get that many copies in one day using this deal alone. Stop and think about it.

What's there to think about?

He had his fellow sleazoids out getting whatever they could. Didn't think I had to state the blindly obvious.

ElNino

dont know if anyone lives near but Target Whitby got their PS4 ish set up
Hello fellow east end GTA'er.

I was actually in the plaza today but didn't go to Target (was at Sportcheck getting my son a snowboard for Christmas). I might be back tomorrow so maybe I'll swing by to check it out.

a916

That doesn't even sound remotely plausible and makes less sense than Futureshop giving them away.

Haines

Banned
That doesn't even sound remotely plausible and makes less sense than Futureshop giving them away.

Yeah, I dont see that happening. BestBuy is def behind this, but I think its kind of silly to basically give these games away. I dont see BB winning from this in the end.

Tagg9

So I reserved BF4 and AC4 at about 10am on Friday, and I just NOW (8pm on Saturday) got an email that both items are reserved and ready to pick up.

Anyone think this is legit? I went to the store when it opened, but there were already 100+ people there and I couldn't be bothered to wait.

-Deimos

Maybe they purposely flooded the market to fuck over EB. They're going to lose a huge amount of money from all the upgrades.\

So I reserved BF4 and AC4 at about 10am on Friday, and I just NOW (8pm on Saturday) got an email that both items are reserved and ready to pick up.

Anyone think this is legit? I went to the store when it opened, but there were already 100+ people there and I couldn't be bothered to wait.

Hmmmm...my brother pre-ordered but never got the email. Maybe there's still hope.

Spent about an hour at Cambie.

There were about 12 people ahead of me and they took forever. It's like all the CSR's that knew how to do trades worked the morning shift. There was so much time wasted getting passwords, checking for games, and just general chatting.

I traded in $6 worth of games for $360. Not a bad day.

Need to call EB Games tomorrow morning. I know that the base trade in rate for COD, AC4 and BF4 is $30, but I wasn't aware of the promo where that $30 automatically becomes $50 if you put it toward the next gen version of that game.

The thing is, once it's in the system as $50... can I move it? I mean any other pre-order, if I walk in that day and decide 'nah, I changed my mind, I'd rather have Killzone', then they just move the money over. If they can do that, then I'll just 'reserve' the copies of the next gen versions, then move the money over the PS4 and Killzone on the day I pick up the console.

EDIT: Wow, there are a lot of fellow Vancouverites up n here...

maneil99

3bPIhfp.jpg

Worth the wait, which wasn't that long, maybe 45 minutes alltogther. Extra Copy of Ghosts was fun to play with in LAN. ( Coquitlam )

Orca

I was in and out at the nearest Future Shop in about 10 minutes. The bulk of the time in the line was spent talking to the guy in front about next gen stuff and it passed pretty quickly.

I decided not to bother trying based on the lineups I saw online this morning. I already have BF4 and COD Ghosts but I'm interested in AC4. Do you think it would even be worth trying on Sunday or Monday? Do you think BestBuy or Futureshop in the Calgary area will have any copies left?

maneil99

I traded in $6 worth of games for $360. Not a bad day.

Need to call EB Games tomorrow morning. I know that the base trade in rate for COD, AC4 and BF4 is $30, but I wasn't aware of the promo where that $30 automatically becomes $50 if you put it toward the next gen version of that game.

The thing is, once it's in the system as $50... can I move it? I mean any other pre-order, if I walk in that day and decide 'nah, I changed my mind, I'd rather have Killzone', then they just move the money over. If they can do that, then I'll just 'reserve' the copies of the next gen versions, then move the money over the PS4 and Killzone on the day I pick up the console.

EDIT: Wow, there are a lot of fellow Vancouverites up n here...

Nah its $30 if its anything but the next gen version of the game you originally traded in

Mayyhem

Only ending up grabbing AC4 today after waiting in the cold for almost an hour and trading Bioshock 2 ($1).

I was hoping to get BF4 and maybe even CoD but all the FS/BB around me were packed and running low in inventory. I wonder if there will be any restocking tomorrow.

Probably unlikely?

-Deimos

Only ending up grabbing AC4 today after waiting in the cold for almost an hour and trading Bioshock 2 ($1).

I was hoping to get BF4 and maybe even CoD but all the FS/BB around me were packed and running low in inventory. I wonder if there will be any restocking tomorrow.

Probably unlikely?

They told me they would restock on Monday, but you can never get a reliable answer.

Probably unlikely?

If you live in Vancouver, the FutureShop on Robson had about 800 copies of COD left when I left and there sure as hell were not 800 people behind me in line.

maneil99

I decided not to bother trying based on the lineups I saw online this morning. I already have BF4 and COD Ghosts but I'm interested in AC4. Do you think it would even be worth trying on Sunday or Monday? Do you think BestBuy or Futureshop in the Calgary area will have any copies left?
Not a chance. The stores here were sold out by half way through the day. And people are constantly walking in and taking anything thats not out of stock

I realized later the copy of Warhammer PS3 I traded in was worth $7. :(

EDIT: not sure which one was you Smiley, but most of the people in line behind me were Asian haha.

It was sold out for unreserved according to my friend who went at 8:45

Really? Damn, must have picked up after I left.

I mean, I had AC4 reserved there but after talking a bit to the customer service person directing the lines, he made it pretty clear that they had plenty of copies of everything. So I asked the guy at the desk 'hey, I reserved AC4, but I hear you have lots of BF4, can I swap my reso for that?'

'Oh sure, no problem'.

The whole experience at that FutureShop took all of 15 minutes. I went in after taking in Thor with some friends at the ScotiaBank theatre, around 5:30-6ish.

maneil99

Really? Damn, must have picked up after I left.

I mean, I had AC4 reserved there but after talking a bit to the customer service person directing the lines, he made it pretty clear that they had plenty of copies of everything. So I asked the guy at the desk 'hey, I reserved AC4, but I hear you have lots of BF4, can I swap my reso for that?'

'Oh sure, no problem'.

The whole experience at that FutureShop took all of 15 minutes. I went in after taking in Thor with some friends at the ScotiaBank theatre, around 5:30-6ish.

There is just like a constant stream of people walking in, and now everyone knows it seems

Dazzler

I realized later the copy of Warhammer PS3 I traded in was worth $7. :(

EDIT: not sure which one was you Smiley, but most of the people in line behind me were Asian haha.

pretty much every store I went to today the lineups were mostly Asian. TDIL: Asian people love a deal :)

big_z

anyone know if south Edmonton common futureshop/bestbuy still have stock for the game trade in? looking for ps3 versions of ac4 and bf4 so I can upgrade them to ps4.

Maximus.

I got COD Ghosts. I am just wondering how the 10 dollar upgrade work? I want the PS4 version, but if I upgrade with the code, does that mean I can just trade in the PS3 version for credit or another game if theres a deal?

Firestorm

i just wanna know how does FS/BB benefit financially from giving away free new games?

am i missing something
From what I understand, Ubisoft, EA, and Activision are re-imbursing them a bit. You'll notice all 3 games have upgrades to next-gen versions. For Future Shop and Best Buy, the benefit is there to get the word out for next-gen that they do in fact take trade-ins and people should come to them instead of EB.

I'll be at Central City tomorrow for a Pokemon thing anyway so I'm going to drop by Future Shop and Best Buy to see if there are any copies left from people who never picked up.

Housh

I was wondering how do I make these 3 games into PS4 titles? I heard you need a receipt that proves you bought the games from EBgames to use the upgrade program there. Anyone know if that is true?

Will Futureshop/Bestbuy be doing the same? I really don't want to download the games and keep the PS3 discs in the drive to play them.

Bruiserk

From what I understand, Ubisoft, EA, and Activision are re-imbursing them a bit. You'll notice all 3 games have upgrades to next-gen versions. For Future Shop and Best Buy, the benefit is there to get the word out for next-gen that they do in fact take trade-ins and people should come to them instead of EB.

I'll be at Central City tomorrow for a Pokemon thing anyway so I'm going to drop by Future Shop and Best Buy to see if there are any copies left from people who never picked up.

What time will you be there? Could you update the thread or pm me on stock/line.

lupinko

I got to try the xbone yesterday at a Best Buy, Killer Instinct was pretty cool and fun. Unlike the ps4 it was a dev kit one like all the other displays people have seen before.

Now I'm a little concerned if I was jipped on craigslist or not by a little kid. I bought a used ds lite with minor scuffs but the screen is good and the ds and gba games actually work. Apparently tho fake ds lites are a thing like that 1up article awhile back, the printing looks all correct but there's no serial sticker. Either this is a fake or the kid sold me a refurb ds lite. I only paid $25 for this, and I don't think the kid would be ingenious enough to peddle bootlegs at his age. The only brand new ds lites I see are the personal cooking trainer ones at rcss and ebgamestop but $159 is too steep for something this old. I lost my japanese charcoal black phat ds in a move hence this purchase. And on a side note, fake or not I'm impressed at the screen it's so crisp and the colours jump out unlike any gba or phat ds.

What should I do gaf? Is it a bootleg or just a refurb? And if it is a refurb should I just get a nicer replacement hard shell? Or hope the personal cooking trainer ds goes on clearance sale at eb or rcss?

Edit: while it does play games it does take a few times to get it to recognize the cards, I have to blow on the ports like this was a nes, hmmmm.

Lexxism

Just as a heads up, it seems that EB will be setting up two lines for the PS4 launch. One line will be for Edge Platinum members and they will be served before anyone else.

Sweet but I still won't be getting mine at midnight launch.

I was wondering how do I make these 3 games into PS4 titles? I heard you need a receipt that proves you bought the games from EBgames to use the upgrade program there. Anyone know if that is true?

No. You don't need a receipt to upgrade your PS3 game to PS4 at EBgames. Someone already tried that and confirmed it.

Housh

No. You don't need a receipt to upgrade your PS3 game to PS4 at EBgames. Someone already tried that and confirmed it.
Thank you. I thought so as from what I read it seems to be a publisher promotion. I guess either the guy who told me was lying or the manager at that ebgames was a bitter jerk.

Lexxism

Thank you. I thought so as from what I read it seems to be a publisher promotion. I guess either the guy who told me was lying or the manager at that ebgames was a bitter jerk.

Yup. That's why EBgames can't suddenly remove this "upgrade to next-gen" because it's being funded by publishers. But I'll still trying to call them later if they will allow me to upgrade my AC4 to PS4 even though it will only be available on Tuesday.

Top Bottom