• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

i-Jest

Don't know if this has been discussed but has anyone gotten their $10 gift card from Shop.ca? I just came across it in my email.

Cynar

Well, yeah, that's been Black Friday and Boxing Day's schtick for years now. 3 year old model / special low end model of high end item (usually tv) in limited quantity and then some high margin items at a deep discount and then maybe 1 or 2 actual good deals sprinkled throughout.

E3 is our Boxing Day / Black Friday for games now and I'm more than happy with that. 33% off every game year-round is a lot better than picking up old games for 33% off at the end of November like the US gets.
Well said. It's what I've been doing the past few years as well. Makes shopping a lot easier ordering everything during e3.

Well, yeah, that's been Black Friday and Boxing Day's schtick for years now. 3 year old model / special low end model of high end item (usually tv) in limited quantity and then some high margin items at a deep discount and then maybe 1 or 2 actual good deals sprinkled throughout.

E3 is our Boxing Day / Black Friday for games now and I'm more than happy with that. 33% off every game year-round is a lot better than picking up old games for 33% off at the end of November like the US gets.

Agreed!
I can't really complain about our gaming scene!
Keep giving me that E3 deal every year and I'm good! I almost have all announced next gen games preordered for $40 a game which is something nobody else will get anywhere in the world I guess!
Oh and just a couple weeks ago everyone who had free 10 mins went to FS/BB dumped some worthless games and got the best selling games instead :)
DS4s, Knack and KZ:SF for $40 each during first week of release!
3DS:XL on release day for 5 used games that are worth $100 or less :)
Even for this year's Black Friday we got to use the best US deals which are all Amazon.com digital stuff!
And the list goes on and on!!

ohlawd

Ok, I'll bite. What are these amazing deals that the US have that make our deals look like crap? I'm really not sure what all the whining is about.

well it'd be nice if we can get the 32 gig Vita memory card for 40 bucks that was up yesterday for the US.

I don't think our deals are crap in comparison tho. Just hoping for some sort of parity every once in a while, especially for stuff I really want like the card I just mentioned.

NolbertoS

Ok, I'll bite. What are these amazing deals that the US have that make our deals look like crap? I'm really not sure what all the whining is about.

Oh Firestorm, the defender of Canadian Deals in here and CAG. Alot of PS Vita games were half off, and like others were sayinh PS Plus 1 yr membership was also half off. I admit also yhat lately Canadian retailers have startef getting there shit together but overall pale in comparison. Until then, on thr off occasion, I'll buy most of my deals down south.

Edit: whatever happened to Goomba?? Does he still sell u guys US games for cheap??

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
BB and FS websites were pretty ass last night, good to see it's a bit better now(for me atleast)

I managed to score a $25 Christoper Nolan Collection Blu Ray set(it has 6 movies so <$5 per movie) and Nintendo Land.

Anyone else waiting for their wii u from walmart to ship? It's estimated to be delivered some time this week but man if I had an idea bestbuy and Futureshop would have the same deal I would've ordered from them!

I still am, it still says "submitted to fulfillment" and it's been almost a week now. This is the first time I've bought from walmart.ca and so far not so good :/

The walmart.ca deal is great though because BB and FS just give you a giftcard, so you still end up paying tax on the $300, whereas on the walmart.ca deal, you get taxed on $250.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EB:

BafB9I2CIAA6vBZ.jpg

http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=939

zroid

Banned
So how do these SHOP.CA "gift cards" work? I have $60 in my rewards balance now, $25 of which was from the sign-up bonus... but apparently that can only be used if I spend over $100?

Do I have to spend $100 and then get $60 off? Or can I simply spend $35 and pay nothing?

---

lol, looks like 50000 was a bit much for those Zelda Guide Box Sets. :p

Chapters: $78.28

Amazon: $78.28

Does amazon do price protection?

Lexxism

So how do these SHOP.CA "gift cards" work? I have $60 in my rewards balance now, $25 of which was from the sign-up bonus... but apparently that can only be used if I spend over $100?

Do I have to spend $100 and then get $60 off? Or can I simply spend $35 and pay nothing?

Yes, you can only use the $25 rewards for orders above $100. The $60 rewards will only apply after tax($113 - 60 = $53) As for 20% cashback, ($100 - 60) * 0.20 = $8 cashback.

edit: Don't forget they have promo code which will you give $10 off. This is before tax.

Anony

yeah, you need to spend over 100 for the sign up rewards to kick in on shop.ca

damn, there's still people signing up? i want to use my referral
if you're planning on buying something on shop.ca, pm me

zroid

Banned
I live-chatted with an Amazon.ca rep and got my price protected for the Zelda guides. She said since it's been "less than a week" they can do it.

Yes, you can only use the $25 rewards for orders above $100. The $60 rewards will only apply after tax($113 - 60 = $53) As for 20% cashback, ($100 - 60) * 0.20 = $8 cashback.

edit: Don't forget they have promo code which will you give $10 off. This is before tax.

ah ok. hmmm... so is there any min spend restriction for the other $35? maybe I should wait a bit and see if I can accumulate anymore rewards, lol. Then I'll spend $100 and use them all at once. :p

Lexxism

ah ok. hmmm... so is there any min spend restriction for the other $35? maybe I should wait a bit and see if I can accumulate anymore rewards, lol. Then I'll spend $100 and use them all at once. :p

I don't think there's a restriction for the other $35. You can actually try that by adding a product on their cart and try applying the $35. SHOP10 or SAVETEN are the other promo codes. I remember getting 2 PS4 games for just $21 ea if you add the cashback.

frequency

What's wrong with VGP? I've only bought from them once or twice but there was nothing about the transaction that seemed bad. It was through Amazon though so maybe there's that.

They were hacked a bit back and all their customer data stolen. Nothing was encrypted. They failed to contact the majority of people affected and in the end did absolutely nothing about it.

I live-chatted with an Amazon.ca rep and got my price protected for the Zelda guides. She said since it's been "less than a week" they can do it.
Thx for the heads-up... I just live-chatted with an Amazon.ca rep for the same thing and got a refund on the price difference too... got a $17.56 refund...

frequency

Is the treasure chest box thing the guides come in actually nice? I would never use guides but I'm interested in that box.

Also I wonder if there was a policy change... When I ordered Final Fantasy The Sky and that dropped price they told me they don't price protect. Or maybe they just don't like me.

isny

napkin dispenser
DS Lite for $40? So tempted to pick one up to use to play GBA games and as a backup to play DS games if I ever sell my 3DS to get a 4DS or whatever the next gen portable will be called.

Megasoum

Banned
I remember seeing somewhere on gaf last week a website that would alert you in real time if the PS4 got in stock at a bunch of different retailers...

Anybody knows that site and was it US only? My friend is trying to find a PS4 before christmas but it's kinda hard to find (not surprisingly lol).

wtf ebgames.

I send em an email to cancel my FF XIV order on friday night when I ordered it, was scared it was not going to be possible so I called yesterday and she tells me it has already being prepared at the warehouse or something like that so she can't cancel it.
Ok cool, I just cancelled my order on FS and got the money back to my gift card to buy a 1tb HD for the ps4.

now I just get an email from them saying that they were able to process my cancellation request >_>

fuck now I gotta go to an eb games and buy FF XIV there now to be sure I got it since the sale ends on dec 5!

GOD DAMNIT EB GAMES GET YO SHIT TOGETHER

nordique

I just picked up Amazing Spiderman and Lego Batman 2 on FS for Wii U, $39 shipped.

Will go nicely with my son's Wii U I grabbed from SDM for $250 and Lego Marvel that was $30 at Wal Mart. Santa is a very nice man.

I have all the must have Wii U games that are appropriate for his age already so he's got SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Wonderul 101 etc.

Good stuff man. He's gonna be very happy. Such an awesome dad :)

I remember when my dad came home once with like 4 N64 games - all awesome titles - still a great memory for me in my adult years.

Roto13

I just picked up Amazing Spiderman and Lego Batman 2 on FS for Wii U, $39 shipped.

Will go nicely with my son's Wii U I grabbed from SDM for $250 and Lego Marvel that was $30 at Wal Mart. Santa is a very nice man.

I have all the must have Wii U games that are appropriate for his age already so he's got SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Wonderul 101 etc.

How old is he? The Wonderful 101 might be a bit less appropriate than it looks on the surface. :p

wtf ebgames.

I send em an email to cancel my FF XIV order on friday night when I ordered it, was scared it was not going to be possible so I called yesterday and she tells me it has already being prepared at the warehouse or something like that so she can't cancel it.
Ok cool, I just cancelled my order on FS and got the money back to my gift card to buy a 1tb HD for the ps4.

now I just get an email from them saying that they were able to process my cancellation request >_>

fuck now I gotta go to an eb games and buy FF XIV there now to be sure I got it since the sale ends on dec 5!

GOD DAMNIT EB GAMES GET YO SHIT TOGETHER

Sounds more life you need to get your shit together and plan your expenditures out a bit more wisely. The fine people at EB Games are doing their best in what is sure to be a busy weekend. Please show them more respect.

EB games: power to the players

There is no restrictions on those $25 GC. When you checkout don't apply all your awards, just the giftcards. Put $25 instead of $60.

bigmf

Ebgames Canada just tweeted that they have PS4 and Xbox One bundles (two games and a controller) up for sale on the website for 579.96 and 679.96 (full price) respectively.

XBO

PS4

Just noticed that amazon.ca is using Canada Post for some of their orders now. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come and just due to the holiday rush.

ahdurian

so what's been going on for Cyber Monday?
I haven't seen anything that really stands out
BB is 50% off used games, EB has really bad deals for CM....nothing really interesting?
Only thing I saw was the PSVita memory cards, but the 32GBs were all sold out

bigmf

Well, if you wanted a second controller and those two specific games, I guess it's ok, but they should sell them separately.

Roto13

Ebgames Canada just tweeted that they have PS4 and Xbox One bundles (two games and a controller) up for sale on the website for 579.96 and 679.96 (full price) respectively.

XBO

PS4

Sleazy as fuck.

True that man. Screw EB games and Microsoft store, their pulling the same shit.

And Sony is doing it (at least in Europe) with the PS4 and Vita. And of course people will defend it with "lol supply and demand" as if they actually understand what that phrase means.

There was a Joystiq article about it and it was depressing how many people were willing to defend that crap.

Top Bottom