• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

DJ_Lae

EB Games charging $55 for a $50 Steam Card. Fuck off.

I don't have a massive problem with this as loading $50 through Steam itself you're going to incur conversion fees from either your credit card company or Paypal.

If I try to add $50US, for example, it looks like my actual charge is $56.58CDN at the moment.

zroid

Banned
Yea it's still a better deal than paying directly through Steam, lol

For now, anyway

edit: Steam was planning to adopt Canadian currency payments though, right? Hopefully prices will remain at parity.

Ondore

I wonder if that Steam price increase is related to the fact that my local EB hasn't had $20 eShop cards since before Christmas. Probably not.

Hilti92

I saw all the posts about the game prices going up and didn't want to believe it. Went into EB and saw it. It's a shame and I really hope atleast the sports games stay at $59.99.

When's the new Vita supposed to hit Canada? Preorder page on EB doesn't mention a date...

It says "in stock on Friday 16 May, 2014" at vidogameplus.ca

Tritton gaming headsets are $7.95 at FS and BB. (Regularly $50)

Found it! Link
Yeah they have been $10 for a long time, bought one of them and they are very medicore headsets, used them connected to DS4 before wireless headsets were supported and hey did the job!

Can I use Optimum points to get PSN cards?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hey do you guys know of any good 3DS cases? Original 3DS. I'm looking for a sleeve/pouch type of thing. Thanks!

Jinto

I ended up buying DanganRonpa from EB, despite the higher price. I couldn't find it in store anywhere. It's been taken off of the Best Buy website. Rayman Legends is gone too. I wonder if that's gonna be the norm for Vita games from now on.

EB Games charging $55 for a $50 Steam Card. Fuck off.

To be fair, this is the one place where it makes sense, since you're literally buying Steam Wallet USD credit. Still, sad the price went up on those.

I ended up buying DanganRonpa from EB, despite the higher price. I couldn't find it in store anywhere. It's been taken off of the Best Buy website. Rayman Legends is gone too. I wonder if that's gonna be the norm for Vita games from now on.

Amazon.ca had stock the last time I checked. Or did you not want to buy from an online store? I bet a local mom & pop would have it too, since niche games like this are sometimes easier to get from small shops (it's a good differentiator from the big chains).

ohlawd

you just made me remember that my DR CE is in shipping hell :(

a916

Um how are they allowed to charge more for gift cards

Is that even legal

I'm under the assumption that Steam gift cards are valued at $50 USD... so at $55, it's actually cheaper than it should be thanks to the CAD being valued at $0.91 USD.

I ended up buying DanganRonpa from EB, despite the higher price. I couldn't find it in store anywhere. It's been taken off of the Best Buy website.

Yea that is scaring me... I noticed that too! I was so surprised to find a copy of Toukiden in a BB store today. I know that once it's sold out they will never carry it again. At least DanganRonpa is on amazon (but I hate UPS) and it's published by NIS so I am not scared of it becoming out of stock forever.

However, overall as a Vita owner who really enjoys physical copies of my games, I don't like the trend going on with physical games but I do understand why it's the way it is.

Jinto

you just made me remember that my DR CE is in shipping hell :(

Sorry. Wait, there's a CE??

Yea that is scaring me... I noticed that too! I was so surprised to find a copy of Toukiden in a BB store today. I know that once it's sold out they will never carry it again. At least DanganRonpa is on amazon (but I hate UPS) and it's published by NIS so I am not scared of it becoming out of stock forever.

However, overall as a Vita owner who really enjoys physical copies of my games, I don't like the trend going on with physical games but I do understand why it's the way it is.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I guess I gotta start pre ordering the Vita games I really want now, rather than waiting until they go down in price.

6XxWK.jpg

What in the hell...

It's $30 at BestBuy at least.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=d5fbf661d6a85828589f40b68a38ca0cen02

Gxgear

Um how are they allowed to charge more for gift cards

Is that even legal

Quick skim didn't catch anything along those lines, have a go at it yourself:

Gift Card Agreements

Application of sections
25.1 Sections 25.2 to 25.5 apply to every gift card agreement entered into on or after the day this section comes into force and to every gift card issued under that agreement, but do not apply to,
(a) a gift card that a supplier issues for a charitable purpose; or
(b) a gift card that covers only one specific good or service; or
(c) the gift card agreement under which a gift card described in clause (a) or (b) is issued. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
Exemption
25.2 A gift card agreement is exempt from subsection 21 (1), section 26 and subsection 96 (2) of the Act. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
No expiry dates
25.3 (1) No supplier shall enter into a gift card agreement that has an expiry date on the future performance of the agreement. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
(2) A gift card agreement with an expiry date on its future performance shall be effective as if it had no expiry date if the agreement is otherwise valid. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
Limit on fees
25.4 (1) No supplier under a gift card agreement that is not an open loop gift card agreement shall,
(a) issue a gift card for less than the value of the payment made by the consumer for entering into the agreement or hold out that the supplier can provide such a gift card; or
(b) charge a fee to the holder of a gift card for anything in relation to the card, other than a fee for replacing a lost or stolen gift card or a fee to customize a gift card. O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
(2) No supplier under an open loop gift card agreement shall,
(a) issue a gift card for less than the value of the payment made by the consumer for entering into the agreement less $1.50 or hold out that the supplier can provide such a gift card; or
(b) charge a fee to the holder of a gift card for anything in relation to the card, other than a fee for replacing a lost or stolen gift card, a fee to customize a gift card or a dormancy fee in accordance with subsection (2.1). O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
(2.1) The supplier under an open loop gift card agreement may charge a dormancy fee to the holder of the gift card if,
(a) the fee is charged no earlier than,
(i) 15 months after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement, if the holder does not request the supplier for an extension in that 15th month, or
(ii) 18 months after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement, if the holder requests the supplier for an extension in the 15th month after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement;
(b) the fee does not exceed $2.50 per month;
(c) the card has a notice on the front of the card in 10 point font indicating that there is fee information on the back of the card;
(d) the card has a notice on the back of the card setting out, clearly and prominently, the information mentioned in clauses (a) and (b); and
(e) the supplier discloses the information mentioned in clauses (a) and (b) to the consumer at the time that the consumer enters into the agreement. O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
(3) If a supplier or a seller has charged a fee or an amount in contravention of subsection (2), the consumer or the holder of a gift card who paid the fee or the amount may demand a refund by giving notice to the supplier in accordance with section 92 of the Act within one year after making the payment. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
(4) A supplier who receives a notice demanding a refund under subsection (3) shall provide the refund within 15 days of receiving the notice. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
Requirements for agreements
25.5 For the purpose of section 22 of the Act, a future performance agreement that is a gift card agreement shall set out the following information:
1. The fees that the supplier may charge under clause 25.4 (2) (b).
2. All restrictions, limitations and conditions that the supplier imposes on the use of the gift card. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.

LakeEarth

If I wanted to get on a PS4 waiting list, where would I go? I was gonna hold out, but the chance of the price going up is getting too high to risk it. Never seen one in the wild yet.

If I wanted to get on a PS4 waiting list, where would I go? I was gonna hold out, but the chance of the price going up is getting too high to risk it. Never seen one in the wild yet.

I am not aware of places with a waiting list, sorry. However, regularly looking up BB and FS websites then doing a reserve in-store for pick up if you see one is a decent option. Ebgames.ca has it in stock but in a very expensive bundle. Ebgames store has some here and there, a store 100km away from me has some at the moment. Finally, there is a topic on GAF (to raise awareness for donations for David Vigil cancer treatments) right now where you can win one in a raffle by tomorrow evening.

Edit: 2 Walmart near me in Quebec city have some in store at the moment too, not sure how is the walmart situation near you!

Maybe you were aware of all that already... good luck on your hunt!

Same here, i don't get that trend of games disappearing a few months after release, it's not like they're discontinuing the Vita anytime soon!

Repost: Can you buy PSN store cards using Optimum points?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Follow @FS_Gamer and @BBYC_GamersClub. They tweet whenever they have stock online.

ohlawd

Sorry. Wait, there's a CE??

Yeah, I'm the same way. I guess I gotta start pre ordering the Vita games I really want now, rather than waiting until they go down in price.
Not available in NIS' store anymore but here are the details. $10 more than standard.

http://operationrainfall.com/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-premium-edition/

Mine too. Tracking has stopped updating since the 12th :(
Will sacrifice your order to the shipment gods just so I can get mine quicker >:)

Dorygrant

Hey do you guys know of any good 3DS cases? Original 3DS. I'm looking for a sleeve/pouch type of thing. Thanks!

I got a sweet one from ebay that holds my games and everything for about $3 (free shipping) so if you don't mind the wait check it out.

Sometimes the bigger retailers (and the source, etc.) Have nice oned on clearance.

L3E2

Right now on Shop.ca you can pre-order Second Son limited edition for $59.99 with free shipping, and you can use the "SHOP10" code to save an additional $10 (I just did it a couple of days ago). Also, if it is your first time using the site, you get $15 towards your first purchase, potentially getting the game for $34.99.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for this. Including the both the code and credit I got from buying a PS4 from them, I got the game for $29. Didn't really want to deal with this site again, but for $29 I think it's a steal of a deal. It's the most I've paid so far for a PS4 game, and this will be my sixth for the platform.

LakeEarth

Great info guys, thanks. The walmart suggestion is a good one, out of stock across the board but it's Saturday. Might have better luck on a Tuesday.

No kidding on the expensive ebgames.ca bundle, jeez.

Jinto

Amazon.ca had stock the last time I checked. Or did you not want to buy from an online store? I bet a local mom & pop would have it too, since niche games like this are sometimes easier to get from small shops (it's a good differentiator from the big chains).

Yeah, I was gonna buy from Amazon, but I wanted the game to keep me occupied tomorrow when I have to babysit one of my nieces. Thanks for the advice on the mom and pop stores. I'll check them out next time I'm in a similar situation.

Not available in NIS' store anymore but here are the details. $10 more than standard.

http://operationrainfall.com/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-premium-edition/

Crap, I paid extra to get it from EB. Could have just got this for a little more. lol

lupinko

I don't really know who to ask at this time but eh I'm used to asking CanadaGAF for game purchasing advice.

I want to pick up a Japanese 3DS here in Japan probably soon and likely as late as next month for my birthday. My options are:

This MH4 bundle for 19800円.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/d5BUfSw.png

Pros: it's 1000円 more than a 3DS LL that comes with no game, this comes with a code or preinstalled MH4 I forget, it's also a neat design and colour.

Cons: I hated my Cosmo black 3ds because of its size, since there is too little of space between the thumb stick and dpad.

Next is the blue Pokemon XY LL which is the same as the one we got in Canada for about 3000円 more with preinstalled Pokemon Y.

Pros: it's a LL with Pokemon Y

Cons: not really a fan of the design and while I do want to get a Japanese Y to complement my NA X I want to get a cart Y since I have a digital X.

Core 3DS LLs white, orange, mint, silver, basically colors North America doesn't see, 1000円 less than the MH4 bundle. No game or anything.

A buddy of mine suggested to get the MH4 bundle for potential reselling in the future since I can always upgrade whenever a cool LL shows up.

I have my NA 3DS XL red with me here in Japan too, it sucks that Kirby boxart here is now angry too on a side note. :/

There is also a DQ LL I think but I have zero interest in DQ, I'm only talking about brand new since I'd like to get JP Club Nintendo points too.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I got a sweet one from ebay that holds my games and everything for about $3 (free shipping) so if you don't mind the wait check it out.

Sometimes the bigger retailers (and the source, etc.) Have nice oned on clearance.

Which one did you get? I've been looking on ebay but haven't found anything I like.

Returners

I don't really know who to ask at this time but eh I'm used to asking CanadaGAF for game purchasing advice.

I want to pick up a Japanese 3DS here in Japan probably soon and likely as late as next month for my birthday. My options are:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/d5BUfSw.png

Pros: it's 1000円 more than a 3DS LL that comes with no game, this comes with a code or preinstalled MH4 I forget, it's also a neat design and colour.

Cons: I hated my Cosmo black 3ds because of its size, since there is too little of space between the thumb stick and dpad.

Next is the blue Pokemon XY LL which is the same as the one we got in Canada for about 3000円 more with preinstalled Pokemon Y.

Cons: not really a fan of the design and while I do want to get a Japanese Y to complement my NA X I want to get a cart Y since I have a digital X.

Core 3DS LLs white, orange, mint, silver, basically colors North America doesn't see, 1000円 less than the MH4 bundle. No game or anything.

A buddy of mine suggested to get the MH4 bundle for potential reselling in the future since I can always upgrade whenever a cool LL shows up.

I have my NA 3DS XL red with me here in Japan too, it sucks that Kirby boxart here is now angry too on a side note. :/

There is also a DQ LL I think but I have zero interest in DQ, I'm only talking about brand new since I'd like to get JP Club Nintendo points too.

Why don't you get the new MH4 3DS LL Rajang Gold?

I can't stand holding a original 3DS for long periods of time so that would be my last choice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-cont...10/d5BUfSw.png

Clearly you should get the Love Plus 3DS LL:
hs0vj8Z.jpg

Your waifu is looking for you!

Top Bottom