• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Well shit

So much for price matching with future shop

Yea, price matching starts not be worthwhile. Well, it "worth" it because you would still pay less (saving 30 cents?!), but I would feel better just rewarding the store with the lowest price. As for Amazon, we have to wait and see, a lot of stuff is still at normal price. However, I would not bet on the situation staying the same.

Like it has been said many times already, locking our pre-orders at a normal price as soon as possible or waiting for a price drop is the best we can do for now. The only other options is to pay a price that goes way beyond what the current state of our dollar warrants or stop buying games altogether.

Be brave Canadians, we will get through this! *cue dramatic and heroic music* This topic gets so important for our wallets in times of crisis like this one. I am glad that we so often figure shit out, let's work twice as hard looking for and sharing deals! *puts fat cigar in his mouth* and let's kick the ass of those capitalist(?!) retailers! Ok... it's time for me to go to bed I think..!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea, price matching starts not be worthwhile. Well, it "worth" it because you would still pay less (saving 30 cents?!), but I would feel better just rewarding the store with the lowest price. As for Amazon, we have to wait and see, a lot of stuff is still at normal price. However, I would not bet on the situation staying the same.

Like it has been said many times already, locking our pre-orders at a normal price as soon as possible or waiting for a price drop is the best we can do for now. The only other options is to pay a price that goes way beyond what the current state of our dollar warrants or stop buying games altogether.

Be brave Canadians, we will get through this! *cue dramatic and heroic music* This topic gets so important for our wallets in times of crisis like this one. I am glad that we so often figure shit out, let's work twice as hard looking for and sharing deals! *puts fat cigar in his mouth* and let's kick the ass of those capitalist(?!) retailers! Ok... it's time for me to go to bed I think..!
You know what's terrible about all of this? That it's not just limited to games.

Amazon.com price for Game of Thrones season 3 - 29.99
Amazon.ca price - 44.99
Futureshop.ca price - 46.99

zroid

Banned
You know what's terrible about all of this? That it's not just limited to games.

Amazon.com price for Game of Thrones season 3 - 29.99
Amazon.ca price - 44.99
Futureshop.ca price - 46.99

DVD/BD (and book) price disparity has existed forever though. I don't think we've ever paid the same as the americans for this stuff. I was really frustrated with the price of Game of Thrones season 1 a couple years ago. Seeing it for $30 or $35 on amazon.com and like $50-60 here was ridiculous.

ohlawd

Oh and I forgot to mention because it slipped my mind, the last game which Natsume published, Hometown Story, was $39.99 on the US eShop, and iirc $40.99 on the Canadian eShop. And this was back in like October.

So don't be surprised if they make us pay more.... ;
oh yeah. I remember browsing the eShop and seeing that game with that price. I'm like "that's a weird number."

still getting it tho :) I just have to.

Haines

Banned
I'd love to buy titanfall but no way paying top dollar...you guys think we will find some deals on it not to long after launch?

i-Jest

I'd love to buy titanfall but no way paying top dollar...you guys think we will find some deals on it not to long after launch?

Hard to really say. It's a highly anticipated game. I'm not expecting deals for the game, not for the next little while. Retailers are going to try and get top dollar for it as long as possible.

That aside, I think it's best we keep a list of Canadian retailer websites that have deals and fair pricing. It's good to have options we can work with. We've always resorted to BB, FS, and Amazon as our go to places; clearly that's not the case anymore, for the most part. Again, it's good to have options we can rely on.

I posted that Gamestreet is having a 10% off deal on almost anything online, restrictions vary. It's on the previous page. Check it out. You might find something you like.

If you're on PC, Green Man Gaming has already had two deals on Titanfall--25% off previously, and a current $10 off deal. Granted, both were only available to newsletter subscribers, but I don't think it'll be a Call of Duty-type situation where the game just never goes on sale. I think you'll be able to pick it up for a more reasonable price (say, $39.99) within a few months.

I could be wrong, though.

Got a WiiU today (Skylander bundle from Bestbuy). Was wondering how everyone with a Basic has been dealing with the 8 GB size.

Not that I'm gonna change WiiUs anytime soon (already registered my Nintendo ID on it/budget can't afford the Deluxes).... but just wanted to hear from other users about their opinions on it!

Most external drives need more power than the USB port offers. A Y cable basically just draws off two instead of one. Though if your drive is physically large enough it may just have its own power brick.

Oh, that makes sense then. Considering the price difference between a basic and a deluxe, getting a basic and an external HD (plus usb y) would be a more cost-efficient option then, right?

lupinko

Oh right offering my services for CanadaGAF if interested in JP itunes, PSN and somehow eshop code cards as well. You can either PayPal me the exact yen amount (so no exorbant middle man fees from me) or trade me in return Canadian itunes/psn/eshop code cards. Since I don't have a tv or monitor right now itunes and eshop is more preferred. I should also do this for USGaf since I also have a US itunes and same goes with AussieGAF but not in a rush for that one.

Oh, that makes sense then. Considering the price difference between a basic and a deluxe, getting a basic and an external HD (plus usb y) would be a more cost-efficient option then, right?

Yeah. The Deluxe comes with a game, charging dock and stand. You don't need any of those for the system to work, so the basic is a cheaper option depending on where you live.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy a self powered HDD if you can, I've had two harddrives just stop working at points because they weren't receiving enough power even with the Y cable plugged into both ports.

has anyone seen a deal on XBL Gold anywhere? Mine will run out in a month or so. I haven't paid full price for a renewal yet, and am not about to start.

chrono01

Oh right offering my services for CanadaGAF if interested in JP itunes, PSN and somehow eshop code cards as well. You can either PayPal me the exact yen amount (so no exorbant middle man fees from me) or trade me in return Canadian itunes/psn/eshop code cards. Since I don't have a tv or monitor right now itunes and eshop is more preferred. I should also do this for USGaf since I also have a US itunes and same goes with AussieGAF but not in a rush for that one.
Thanks for this!

While I don't have a need for JP iTunes credit right now, I'll definitely keep this offer in-mind for when I do [should it still be available].

flkraven

has anyone seen a deal on XBL Gold anywhere? Mine will run out in a month or so. I haven't paid full price for a renewal yet, and am not about to start.

This was posted on RFD:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...505400?tduid=c65d5da484014ff16d299188fbd4e609

$39.99 + tax.

I just put through an order using paypal. With MS, I used my old US address, but I used a Canadian paypal and it said it is processing fine. Apparently it takes 2-3 hours to get the code, so I will keep you posted.

i-Jest

Does Nintendo's online store for refurbished goods ship with UPS? I need a Wiimote and I'm thinking they're the cheapest place.

So I went to the extra foods in north shore kamloops today, and wouldn't you know it, there was a brand new 160gb ps3 slim for 250 - 25% off. 212 all included. Just goes to show you, you can always find good deals in the strangest places.

Just a heads up! Amazon had Toukiden as "will come in stock in 1 to 2 months" but as they often do, they updated it way faster(today) to in-stock! It's at 39.99$ and it's a great game for Vita! Cheapest you can get it right now when you factor free shipping!

ohlawd

Just a heads up! Amazon had Toukiden as "will come in stock in 1 to 2 months" but as they often do, they updated it way faster(today) to in-stock! It's at 39.99$ and it's a great game for Vita! Cheapest you can get it right now when you factor free shipping!
I was gonna buy Toukiden at launch but two things happened: I blew the $40 on a high capacity GamePad battery and I was already neck deep in MH3U.

but yeah, great time with the demo. About time we finally got a competent MH clone.

Top Bottom