• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Cynar

Thanks to FrankCaron for pointing it out in a different thread.

That means you can trade-in and buy cheap games for cheaper? My brain hurts.
That's what I've been doing. Trading in my 360 library and buying it on PC for less while picking up additional games. Feels good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really wish Animal Crossing would go on sale up here, but I doubt that will ever happen considering Ninty undershipping and all.

Sora_N

Really wish Animal Crossing would go on sale up here, but I doubt that will ever happen considering Ninty undershipping and all.

Yeah I couldn't even find a copy ANYWHERE for my gf. Dammit Nintendo. I ordered a copy from ebgames but they haven't shipped it still. Really sucks.

iphys

The XL is not in the main flyer itself, but the narrow yellow Saturday special flyer, which is posted separately on the web site.

Tiktaalik

It's not super common for Nintendo games to go on sale, especially evergreen top sellers like Animal Crossing. I wouldn't wait on it.

iphys

It's advertised in the Shoppers flyer for the 20x on Saturday, so they should have it. Regular price, but if you can spend the minimum $40 or $50 to get the extra points, it's as good as a sale.

Anyone in Toronto know where I can get a native 640x480 LCD monitor?

I'm moving soon and would like a native EDTV monitor/TV to play Wii and lower games.

Yeah I couldn't even find a copy ANYWHERE for my gf. Dammit Nintendo. I ordered a copy from ebgames but they haven't shipped it still. Really sucks.

You guys should really consider the digital version. It's really a game that you want to have in that system at all times. I've had DKCR3D in the cartridge slot and Animal Crossing on the SD card and switching between the two without having to worry about putting the other one away is really nice.

I'm convinced that Nintendo is short shipping their 3DS games on purpose, to try to encourage eShop sales. I went through a similar situation tracking down a copy for my fiance (I preordered my own copy). It was crazy, like one out of 20 stores we called/tried had a copy. I like the eShop, but I really can't see paying more than $10 for a game with no unified account system.

Currently beating myself up for registering FE:A on my brother's Club Nintendo account (and not mine). Apparently, if I register my SMT IV on his account and he gets the 30$ there's no way to a.) transfer the credit to me, b.) buy a digital game for myself on his account.

Just sucks. Times like this, I'm reminded why Nintendo's digital shop is kind of... not a fun place to spend money at.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Currently beating myself up for registering FE:A on my brother's Club Nintendo account (and not mine). Apparently, if I register my SMT IV on his account and he gets the 30$ there's no way to a.) transfer the credit to me, b.) buy a digital game for myself on his account.

Just sucks. Times like this, I'm reminded why Nintendo's digital shop is kind of... not a fun place to spend money at.

You just get an eShop code for the $30, I think. You could just register both codes on your brother's account, and use the $30 code you get on your own 3DS.

You just get an eShop code for the $30, I think. You could just register both codes on your brother's account, and use the $30 code you get on your own 3DS.

I hope that's so. I emailed Nintendo about this and it seemed like that wasn't possible :( That was my initial thought too!

I hope that's so. I emailed Nintendo about this and it seemed like that wasn't possible :( That was my initial thought too!

Assuming your brother would actually USE that eshop credit, you don't think he could be convinced to return the favour in the form of an eshop gift card? If the above solution doesn't work, that is.

Assuming your brother would actually USE that eshop credit, you don't think he could be convinced to return the favour in the form of an eshop gift card? If the above solution doesn't work, that is.

I'm actually trying to convince him to do this. But, so far, my brother is sternly against digital games. But I guess we did come to a sort of compromise. I want to use the credit for Phoenix Wright and he's agreed to let me play it on his 3DS if transferring isn't possible.

Not the most ideal solution but I can live with it, I guess. :)

Jessicat

I hope someone in Toronto breaks the date.
*cough*checkyourPMs*cough*

Just an FYI, the retail VGP location on wilson+keele/at downsview plaza has some SMTIV promo posters; I got one free because I just got my pre-order~ Might just be free with in-store purchase/YMMV/etc, but worth checking out if you're in the area, see their website for hours, etc

Palehorse

So as an update to my stolen 3DS XL, I talked to Nintendo again today, told them that the RCMP didn't have any kind of a report to give me, that they just put a database entry into the system and generated a file number.

The first guy couldn't help me so he sent me to a supervisor who accepted the file number from the RCMP and then credited me for the games I had bought through the eshop as well as giving me back my Ambassador status.

All in all fairly painless, just had to explain the situation a few times.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't know they put cash into my eshop wallet instead of just giving me the games back. I find that odd. I guess I can rethink my purchases now, as I didn't really like Crimson Shroud. Probably still pick up FE:A.

zroid

Banned
So as an update to my stolen 3DS XL, I talked to Nintendo again today, told them that the RCMP didn't have any kind of a report to give me, that they just put a database entry into the system and generated a file number.

The first guy couldn't help me so he sent me to a supervisor who accepted the file number from the RCMP and then credited me for the games I had bought through the eshop as well as giving me back my Ambassador status.

Rad. Glad things worked out.

I mean, aside from the stolen 3DS, which still sucks. :(

Edit: Oh, and I didn't know they put cash into my eshop wallet instead of just giving me the games back. I find that odd. I guess I can rethink my purchases now, as I didn't really like Crimson Shroud. Probably still pick up FE:A.

Cool, glad you got your games back, takes a lot off the pain of your stolen 3DS. Can't understand why Nintendo doesn't have a unified account system like PSN for example!

Jessicat

okay, this is my last SMTIV post before I go eat dinner and then play it/listen to the OST
8O8YTkj.jpg
*sobs* my collector box has a rip in it though, you all jinxed it, lol XD

I made a thread in OT but I may as well repost here since it's relevant and I doubt it'll get much attention:

Is it worth getting a DVD Recorder with Component Input? said:
I have the option of buying a DVD Recorder with Component Input off of someone, and it won't record 480p for some reason (people say so for Component recorders in general and it says so in the manual of the one I'm looking at).

Now I can buy it for $40 flat, but I'll have to go a bit far and will have to carry it back, not a big deal.

But alternatively I have numerous options of getting a recorder with just S-Video Input for the same price before tax, and the store's like around the corner where I am.

The store has a 1-year warranty on at least TV's (I assume this is so with players and recorders), and comes with boxes for most, etc.

I've been looking online and the difference between Component and S-Video in 480i seems to be rather small (summarized to be: S-Video = 20% better than Composite, Component = 25% better than Composite).

I am a quality nut and any difference can be very noticeable to me.

So I'm wondering if it is worth it to go after the Component one or just buy an S-Video one. I'm recording games like Wii and under (and Wii U in the future as the same cables will work with it).

The only proper method of really good quality are those capture devices, I'm not sure they're a better option for the price. I mean most use PVR/DVR's that are like $1000, and I think there are cheap ones in the smaller $40+ range, but I don't know if they're that simple (some need to be worked into the computer right?, or you need to install a recording program? These confuse me honestly).

Recommendations?

okay, this is my last SMTIV post before I go eat dinner and then play it/listen to the OST

*sobs* my collector box has a rip in it though, you all jinxed it, lol XD

Boxes not being in pristine condition is what I've come to expect when I buy limited editions online. :( But I guess I wouldn't trade the convenience of online shopping for a pristine box since I'm opening it anyway to play :)

Lexxism

I have $10 credit for any game I purchased this month. Will this work on E3 deal(SMTIV)? Is this going to be before or after tax?

iphys

I made a thread in OT but I may as well repost here since it's relevant and I doubt it'll get much attention:

I'd just go S-video. I record S-video off my Wii all the time, and it's awesome compared with composite: very little difference between S-video and component except progressive scan, so component is really unnecessary if you're not even getting the benefit of progressive scan.

Top Bottom