• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

I can get it to control the cable box perfectly from when I push the TV button on the gamepad, but when I try to launch something from TVii it just opens search. Can't figure this out =/

I haven't had time to try it yet but I'll let you know how it goes with Telus, it might be different from one provider to another.

Awesome! Which Shoppers did you find them at?

Yup :) I got them from SDM Southcentre Mall, it's on Anderson road and Macleod trail, I bet you know where it is anyway lol

Any recommendations for 3DS games? I liked Donkey kong videos, not sure what I should start with, also any deals?

zroid

Banned
I can get it to control the cable box perfectly from when I push the TV button on the gamepad, but when I try to launch something from TVii it just opens search. Can't figure this out =/

I have the same problem with my Rogers box. It's a bummer. Not that TVii is that great anyway -- it's a good concept but execution is pretty clunky at the moment.

Lexxism

LxOc7dA.png

Looks like I might get my copy by Monday.

Any recommendations for 3DS games? I liked Donkey kong videos, not sure what I should start with, also any deals?

Fire emblem? Shin megami tensei 4? Luigi's Mansion 2? Animal Crossing? There will be a promo where you can get $30 credit if you register both fire emblem and smtiv.

Thanks for the suggestions! I play RPGs but I'm not a huge fan :|

Original non-RPG offerings worth checking out include the above mentioned Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing, as well as Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus Uprising. The 3DS versions of Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time are spectacular, but as they are old as the hills, you may have already had your fill of both. Pushmo and Crashmo on the eshop are fantastic budget priced puzzle games. Crashmo is a sequel, but it has slightly different mechanics. Both games are colourful and straightforward with a gentle yet steady difficulty curve and loads of content.

For something completely different, Virtue's Last Reward, the direct sequel to the DS 999 is an absolutely outstanding visual novel broken up with escape the room segments. If you've played 999, you know what to expect. If you haven't, I can't recommend the two games enough. 999 isn't necessary to VLR's enjoyment, but it definitely helps. VLR has great voice acting and solid writing. It's a marvelous plot full of mysteries and twists. As a visual novel, it's pretty light on gameplay however, and not very well suited to the pick up/put down play of a handheld. Not everyone will find it to their tastes, but it is one of my favourite games ever.

i-Jest

The Source again (or maybe still?) has both Wii U models for $50 off.

Cool. I'll take a look.

Original non-RPG offerings worth checking out include the above mentioned Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing, as well as Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus Uprising. The 3DS versions of Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time are spectacular, but as they are old as the hills, you may have already had your fill of both. Pushmo and Crashmo on the eshop are fantastic budget priced puzzle games. Crashmo is a sequel, but it has slightly different mechanics. Both games are colourful and straightforward with a gentle yet steady difficulty curve and loads of content.

For something completely different, Virtue's Last Reward, the direct sequel to the DS 999 is an absolutely outstanding visual novel broken up with escape the room segments. If you've played 999, you know what to expect. If you haven't, I can't recommend the two games enough. 999 isn't necessary to VLR's enjoyment, but it definitely helps. VLR has great voice acting and solid writing. It's a marvelous plot full of mysteries and twists. As a visual novel, it's pretty light on gameplay however, and not very well suited to the pick up/put down play of a handheld. Not everyone will find it to their tastes, but it is one of my favourite games ever.

I'll look into 999 and Virtue's Last Reward as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yasumi

Banned
smt4.png

Yay, free shipping and $39 SMT IV.

I'm kind of surprised that FS seems to be handling the game better than Amazon. Some people mentioned that they probably wouldn't be getting their orders until Friday.

I haven't had time to try it yet but I'll let you know how it goes with Telus, it might be different from one provider to another.

Yup :) I got them from SDM Southcentre Mall, it's on Anderson road and Macleod trail, I bet you know where it is anyway lol

DKCR is FUCKING dope; probably the best 2D game I have ever played. Though have no clue on performance of the 3DS version; but hopefully if they have removed waggle from the control that enough should be enough of an upgrade.

---
and ah, I just read on the SDM 3DS deal; that's REALLY good. I think system this way basically cost's ~$120, that's $80 less than $199.

---
btw, you may also look into buying SMTIV + FE, which will give you $30 credit on eShop. Even if you don't like the games, you'll probably be able to sell them later at a price pretty close to $50 you will be paying [especially cause the SMTIV first print is a limited edition].

DKCR is FUCKING dope; probably the best 2D game I have ever played. Though have no clue on performance of the 3DS version; but hopefully if they have removed waggle from the control that enough should be enough of an upgrade.

---
and ah, I just read on the SDM 3DS deal; that's REALLY good. I think system this way basically cost's ~$120, that's $80 less than $199.

---
btw, you may also look into buying SMTIV + FE, which will give you $30 credit on eShop. Even if you don't like the games, you'll probably be able to sell them later at a price pretty close to $50 you will be paying [especially cause the SMTIV first print is a limited edition].

Is FE also short from stores? Do you know the deadline for this eshop offer?

IllumiNate

Will wait for a redeem your points event at shoppers and stock up on PSN gift cards to fund some next gen goodness! That is if we are able to redeem our optimum points toward sgift cards? would actually be cool to buy FS or BB gift cards and buy our PS4's/XB1's that way

L Thammy

My 3DS' SD card is out of space. Is there anything I should know before getting one? Can I just move my stuff from the old card to the new one?

zroid

Banned
Will wait for a redeem your points event at shoppers and stock up on PSN gift cards to fund some next gen goodness! That is if we are able to redeem our optimum points toward sgift cards? would actually be cool to buy FS or BB gift cards and buy our PS4's/XB1's that way

Sadly not, you can't redeem points for gift cards, PSN cards, etc.

If you want to use your points on next gen, probably would make more sense to buy the console at Shoppers, lol. If you can find it, that is. I'm hopeful; they got the basic sku Wii Us on day one.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Any deals on a reputable 2.5" internal hard drive? PS Plus is kicking my ass with all these awesome games, and I need to upgrade my Slim's puny 160 (GB). :/

Spike

Conspiracy theory of them making shipping worse so people sign up for Prime isn't looking so crazy any more. :p

Not really. This has been happening since before Prime was offered here.

Did not get my Paper Mario Sticker Star until two weeks after release.

big_z

I have a question about the bundled 3ds games that come pre-installed on the sd card. if you were to take that sd and swap it into another 3ds would it play or are the bundle games tied to the hardware itself?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
MY SMT4 got shipped too... good FutureShop! It's scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Oddly, it was already in Richmond (BC?) on the 12th, which is Friday... And I don't live that far from there. I guess they just didn't want me to get it TOO early so they're waiting til Friday to ship it out?

Surprised it's coming straight from Richmond, and not from Mississauga though :lol

Sora_N

I have a question about the bundled 3ds games that come pre-installed on the sd card. if you were to take that sd and swap it into another 3ds would it play or are the bundle games tied to the hardware itself?

I don't really know about this, but I think it's tied to the hardware since there's no account system.

lupinko

Oddly, it was already in Richmond (BC?) on the 12th, which is Friday... And I don't live that far from there. I guess they just didn't want me to get it TOO early so they're waiting til Friday to ship it out?

Surprised it's coming straight from Richmond, and not from Mississauga though :lol

The greater Toronto area is still recovering from the flood iirc.

That's what I overheard at metro best buy yesterday anyway.

So I'm putting a preorder for SMT IV, FS doesn't show the LE nor does it list any exclusive DLC unlike EB! Should I just go with EB? Do they take online returns in store?

Firestorm

My games have always shipped from Richmond.

Mupod

For SMT4 I went with EB this time because they got me Fire Emblem a week early, I was hoping for a repeat occurrence. No such luck and it's not even shipped yet, if I'd gone with the Future Shop E3 promotion I could've got it a day early (based on every other FS order I've made in the last year) and saved a few bucks.

Oh well, sometimes you gamble and lose.

xzoowy

Yeah. Amazon is wonderful and sends things usually the next day when they have it on stock. But games? Usually have to wait a week to get them even if you pre-order...

My Soul Hackers pre-order shipped a week late with Amazon.ca, last April. FutureShop definitely seems more reliable as like others my SMT4 already shipped last friday(and got it cheap thanks to the E3 pre-order promo)

ohlawd

fuck I should have listened to you guys about the FS E3 delivery shit. Getting SMTIV even one day early must be a blessing.

I'll never doubt any of you guys ever again. Trust all y'all 5ever.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
fuck I should have listened to you guys about the FS E3 delivery shit. Getting SMTIV even one day early must be a blessing.

I'll never doubt any of you guys ever again. Trust all y'all 5ever.

Now... what do do with my 30 dollars of credit... I already have Zelda&Pokemon on pre-order too... Maybe Bravely Default?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Amazon is wonderful and sends things usually the next day when they have it on stock. But games? Usually have to wait a week to get them even if you pre-order...
The few times there have been delays, they always bumped it up to one day shipping. I figure you could probably call to complain and get it bumped up.

The few times there have been delays, they always bumped it up to one day shipping. I figure you could probably call to complain and get it bumped up.

I figure the delay itself is them securing the stock... one-day shipping doesn't really make much of a difference for places in Ontario since their distribution centers are there (or they have one there, I think.). They ship something today, we usually get it tomorrow... :)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I figure the delay itself is them securing the stock... one-day shipping doesn't really make much of a difference for places in Ontario since their distribution centers are there (or they have one there, I think.). They ship something today, we usually get it tomorrow... :)
Center of the Universe!!!!

Run by crack mayor

zeitgeist

Gah! Is there a way to get Optimum points if I purchased something but forgot to present my card? The lady is always so good about asking for it but we both forgot today I guess.

Noahd41

Neo Member
Gah! Is there a way to get Optimum points if I purchased something but forgot to present my card? The lady is always so good about asking for it but we both forgot today I guess.

Bring your reciept and card back next time you go in. I think this works. At least that's what I do sometimes at the Bay.

Top Bottom