• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Yep, got my $150 WiiU through rain check

Red card? Is that a free Target membership card that discounts all items?

With all the good deals they have been putting out recently, I just finally went ahead and ordered the Red Card. I won't receive it on time to use it on PSN cards but I will finally have it. The Red Card can be a debit card or a credit card. The debit card is just doing per-authorized transaction on the bank account you give them so you really lose nothing from using it. (Beside big fees if your bank refuse to honor it or something). Took me 5 minutes to be approved online.

SickBoy

With all the good deals they have been putting out recently, I just finally went ahead and ordered the Red Card. I won't receive it on time to use it on PSN cards but I will finally have it. The Red Card can be a debit card or a credit card. The debit card is just doing per-authorized transaction on the bank account you give them so you really lose nothing from using it. (Beside big fees if your bank refuse to honor it or something). Took me 5 minutes to be approved online.

I got a Red Card, but I got the credit card version -- I wasn't thrilled with the language around unauthorized usage/lost or stolen cards with the debit.

Seems like I'm in the Canadian minority, but Target has really lived up to my expectations. When I'm in the States, my favorite part about their stores is finding their clearance stuff, and they've taken the same practices north. Great for cycling out inventory.

(I wish they had more cool US food, but I was pretty realistic about what products would likely not come here... or at the very least take their time coming north)

NYR

Do you guys remember what happened last fall? That insane BB/FS deal to trade in any game and get COD GHOST, BF4 and AC4. Man I wish we get something like that again. It was nuts.
I couldn't believe the amount of people who lined up for several hours to do that, my time was worth more, plus I got those games for $39 because of the e3 deal, so I feel I got one for free already.

As awesome as that was, I truly doubt it will ever happen again. It sounded like it was a mistake that they had to honour due to the backlash they would have received. After the first day, you couldn't find the games in store until the trade in deal ended.

I am honestly surprised we even got the same E3 deal as last year, despite the higher retail pricing of games.
I heard they ordered too many copies and the pubs made too many. They over-estimated selling so many copies and decided to get rid of them. Makes sense, cod is not as popular anymore, BF is still niche, and AC is a ubisoft fame, so you know it was going to be $29 in a month or two after release.

Maximus.

I couldn't believe the amount of people who lined up for several hours to do that, my time was worth more, plus I got those games for $39 because of the e3 deal, so I feel I got one for free already.

I heard they ordered too many copies and the pubs made too many. They over-estimated selling so many copies and decided to get rid of them. Makes sense, cod is not as popular anymore, BF is still niche, and AC is a ubisoft fame, so you know it was going to be $29 in a month or two after release.

I don't know how that makes sense, since having brand new games for let's say $30 is better than being flooded with thousands of sport games from 2006. Regardless, I took advantage of that deal and traded in the game for store credit towards another game I wanted :)

Megasoum

Banned
Must have been a local deal, just got back from walmart and no sale on any of these titres, still regular price.

I wonder if Target still has those games for 20$?

I bought Forza 5 for 20$ the other day and immediatly went to Futureshop and traded it for 30$ credit haha. After I took the 7 days trial for XBL in the box too lol.

I got a Red Card, but I got the credit card version -- I wasn't thrilled with the language around unauthorized usage/lost or stolen cards with the debit.

Seems like I'm in the Canadian minority, but Target has really lived up to my expectations. When I'm in the States, my favorite part about their stores is finding their clearance stuff, and they've taken the same practices north. Great for cycling out inventory.

(I wish they had more cool US food, but I was pretty realistic about what products would likely not come here... or at the very least take their time coming north)

My wife is American and she totally hyped up Target to me and I was not disappointed! The food is a thing but I am already happy about some brands I never saw before and really love!

You were bothered by this?
You will not be liable for any transactions resulting from the loss, theft or unauthorized use of the Card or PIN that occur after the time you notify us of the loss, theft or unauthorized use.

This means that if there is an unauthorized use I need to pay for it because I am liable until I notify them of an unauthorized use but an unauthorized use has to occur before I notify them because I can't see in the future. Am I right? I see how it can be problematic.

SickBoy

You were bothered by this?

This means that if there is an unauthorized use I need to pay for it because I am liable until I notify them of an unauthorized use but an unauthorized use has to occur before I notify them because I can't see in the future. Am I right? I see how it can be problematic.

Yeah, that's the line that did it for me. Happy to have more traditional credit card-style protection.

Not a deal, just a concern:

I was at No Frills and went to grab a 750g Garlic Sausage that I love eating, and in the pile, there were sausages with these odd black spots. I spoke to an employee who speculates it's just charring, but it didn't look that way to me.

I grabbed one that was seemingly spot free, but is there a risk here?

Quoting myself because I want to ask, since mine has no spots to be seen (haven't opened it yet) the fact it was in the same pile as the ones with the spots (by the way, the spots were very few, but they were there), is it safe to eat the one I bought?

The spots didn't look rotten, just strange that a few had them.

Quoting myself because I want to ask, since mine has no spots to be seen (haven't opened it yet) the fact it was in the same pile as the ones with the spots (by the way, the spots were very few, but they were there), is it safe to eat the one I bought?

You're fine, dude. Enjoy your meal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got upgraded Platinum membership for free because I had one of the older Edge cards. Still pretty pointless for me when I can get most stuff cheaper from Amazon. Oh well, thanks for the info.
Yeah, the free upgrade expires after a year. I assume if you reach 5000 points, you get to keep it for life. But at that point, you spend like 3 to 5 thousand bucks at EB so they don't really care. lol

I've seen some pretty damn questionable meat at my local No Frills...I shop there for everything but my meat.

Anth0ny

Does anyone sell Zelda: Phantom Hourglass new still? I figured since it was a first party Nintendo game it would be easy to find even years after its release (like Twilight Princess)... but I can't seem to find it anywhere lol

Does anyone sell Zelda: Phantom Hourglass new still? I figured since it was a first party Nintendo game it would be easy to find even years after its release (like Twilight Princess)... but I can't seem to find it anywhere lol

If you looked really hard, you might be able to find it in a $20 bargain bin somewhere, or at EB (<$20 used?) but judging by prices on eBay it looks like it's out of print.

I bit the bullet and bought a sealed copy off Craigslist for $20.

khaaan

You could buy it from Amazon but I'm guessing you don't want to drop $60 on it.

jholmes

I have been routinely impressed by the men's clothing sections in Target -- pretty good stuff, really nice prices. The rest of the place is pretty much as expected, but a lot cleaner than Zellers was and Walmart is.

I seriously wonder if most of the people who were heralding Canadian Target as the Second Coming have actually shopped at Targets in the U.S., or if they just heard tall tales. The one thing about Canadian Target that I think is inexcusably bad, though, is their website.

DJ_Lae

I've seen some pretty damn questionable meat at my local No Frills...I shop there for everything but my meat.

Yeah the meat is just beyond sketchy. Sometimes produce too, they'll leave out things way past the point when anyone would ever eat them, black plaintains, box after box of mouldy strawberries, wrinkled mushy mangos, etc.

Produce is generally okay at the beginning of a sale period though.

I seriously can't understand why you would eat that stuff anyway? Spots or not it's very clear something is wrong with this batch! isn't your health worth a few bucks for you?!! Meat in general is one if the things that can easily go wrong and cause serious consequences!

Cudder

What's the best deal on the Sony Gold PS headset? I know its been on sale recently, what was the lowest price it sunk to?

Zing

Banned
I paid $2 for three games at EB in the same parking lot the night before to use for the trade. It took me three hours, but I essentially got free games. It wasn't so bad. It was kind of fun until I started getting hungry. Our FS did things in probably the most inefficient method possible, so I imagine other stores were able to get people in and out in half the time.

Sora_N

That was fun. I had class from 1-4pm and I went to two stores and got two games. Sold my Cod but kept ac. Made money off my $2 games lol

I paid $2 for three games at EB in the same parking lot the night before to use for the trade. It took me three hours, but I essentially got free games. It wasn't so bad. It was kind of fun until I started getting hungry. Our FS did things in probably the most inefficient method possible, so I imagine other stores were able to get people in and out in half the time.

I would not assume anything of the sort. The Future Shop I went to processed trade-ins in the worst way possible, as if they were marking the games they got immediately to be put on the shelf instead of doing that stuff later.

I'm not sure why I bothered to stay in line so long, except that past a certain point I figured I'd already sunk a certain amount of time, the line had gotten way worse in the meantime, and I didn't have anything else to do so why not. That doesn't really explain why I didn't leave when I decided I needed to hit a bathroom pretty soon, though.

Yasumi

Banned
Check the Walmart game bins, you might get lucky.

NYR

Xbox One games 29.99 at Wal-Mart. Saw it when I was working with Ryse, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3.
This sale is legit. Starts tomorrow.

Also, $15 gift card if you buy a second xbox one controller @ bb and fs. Titanfall for $39 @ fs for 360, & $49 @ bb for xbone.

torontoml

I know this thread is mostly for video games but does anyone know where I can get one of those bungee chairs online? The circular ones, not the patio chair.

aechris

Lightning Returns is $19.97 at Walmart until Aug 6. Is it worth it? I did not really dig the demo, but the fighting seemed fun. I liked playing FFXIII-2, but I hated the story and characters. Still felt worth it to me though. I want to play LR but I suspect I will regret paying even $20.

Seik

Banned
Sent my question about adjusting the TLOU price from the E3 deal when I told you guys a few days ago...

Still no answer, the fuck happened to your customer service, FS? D:

Vamphuntr

Lightning Returns is $19.97 at Walmart until Aug 6. Is it worth it? I did not really dig the demo, but the fighting seemed fun. I liked playing FFXIII-2, but I hated the story and characters. Still felt worth it to me though. I want to play LR but I suspect I will regret paying even $20.

I paid 15$ for it during the Staples' clearance. I enjoyed the combat system and the battles but the rest of the game is fairly lame. You get tons of abilities to try and they really added a lot of options like some defensive move that makes you jump in the air can be timed to dodge an earthquake move. Some monsters can also be staggered by guarding with the right timing. As such, there is always a way to win if you encounter a monster that is much stronger than you at the moment and I enjoyed this.

If you have an OCD to get 100% and all items in the game you won't like this one much since there is a time limit you can miss some quests and thus items and stats upgrade.

The story and characters are truly terrible. Snow and Noel keep repeating the same thing for 5 minutes in their cutscenes and the ending is something out of this world.

The game is surprisingly ugly and often chugs during battles. The area you explore seem stuff from different games duct taped together. The temple in the desert area is probably the worst looking area of the whole game.

So ask yourself if it's worth 20$ to you or if you should get something you will enjoy more instead.

Tomb raider DE is 29$ in the BB/FS flyer this week
still 10$ to go for a reasonable price for me

Won't take long. To be honest, once Sony starts getting their shit together with legit PS4 titles on PS Plus, I bet Tomb Raider is one of the first given away.

Top Bottom