• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Oh damn, Hyrule Warriors actually processed already. Currently sitting in Mississauga waiting to sent out on delivery or the the post office I guess.

This will be the first time in a while where I actually got a game on time and on release day no less.

Just traded in my old phat elite 120gb console towards the sunset bundle at the Microsoft store. I mean Gamestop wanted to give me $32 for my elite. So for $299+tax is what I had to pay. Now I'm going to try and see if I can flip Sunset digital code for like $40-$45 quickly, use it towards MCC.

Any idea if a phat 20gb falcon model could bring in $100 too? I think it's time I unloaded my Vesperia machine.

MarkusRJR

What are some good DRM free music stores? I know about 7 Digital and iTunes (don't have any Apple products and iTunes is the shittiest thing ever). I heard Amazon is pretty good but I can only find CD/Vinyl on their Canadian website.

iphys

I like iTunes, but I haven't seen a $50 gift card for $40 deal in a while. Does that still even happen anymore? Maybe before x-mas?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just traded in my old phat elite 120gb console towards the sunset bundle at the Microsoft store. I mean Gamestop wanted to give me $32 for my elite. So for $299+tax is what I had to pay. Now I'm going to try and see if I can flip Sunset digital code for like $40-$45 quickly, use it towards MCC.

Sell me your code for 30$ and I will cancel my physical pre-order :p

sooooooooooo anyone else order Theatrhythm Curtain Call from Amazon.ca? Mine still isn't even close to shipping and it's been over a week since launch.

should have complained at launch, man

game is fucking amazing

I kinda just left it alone because I didn't care that much, but this is kind of getting ridiculous. Also, if Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is super late I'm going to cut a whole lot of people.

Good to hear it doesn't suck, though! Even though I've only played FF X and up so many of the songs will have no meaning to me until I get through my PS1 backlog!

sooooooooooo anyone else order Theatrhythm Curtain Call from Amazon.ca? Mine still isn't even close to shipping and it's been over a week since launch.

If it doesn't ship at launch date you pretty much have to give Amazon customer service shit. I'm 100% certain I won't be getting P4 Ultimax or Smash Bros 3DS next week on release day. I'm gonna message Amazon tomorrow to switch my shipping to one or two day cause I'm on the Amazon Student thing.

Pavillion

Anyone know if best buy allows exchanges for the same game on a different console? ordered most of my games at e3 for xbox one and its getting a little lopsided on the shelf, so I want to switch some of the games to ps4 versions.

do they allow swaps?

1337Sauce

So I ordered Hyrule Warriors during the E3 promo, and used my visa debit as a payment method. Now it's telling me that it is unable to process my order, despite the fact that I made sure I had the right amount at the beginning of this week. I specifically put about 60 dollars in the account just in case, however it just sent me a second email saying that it is unable to process my order because of payment information.

Was I wrong in assuming that I was only going to be charged on a per game basis? Do I need to pay for the whole order at once?

Madness

What did the MS store give you for it? I can't imagine it'd be that much higher than $32, lol. $60-70 tops?

Oh wait; $100? Not bad!

Shit, I should think about nabbing that bundle.

$100, which is not bad considering it's the Elite model that I had packed away once I had bought my Slim.

Any idea if a phat 20gb falcon model could bring in $100 too? I think it's time I unloaded my Vesperia machine.

Most likely. I spoke to many employees, had called the Microsoft store line, said any xbox 360 would do as long as it's in working condition, isn't banned or modded, and you give your controller, power supply, and A/V cable. Mine was all mint condition anyway, kind of regret giving away my good controller instead of a broken transforming D-Pad controller.

Stage On

Well what shipping speed did you select? If it's free sometimes it can take awhile for things to ship.

I had that happen to me with Tales of Xillia 2 and all customer service had to say was "it will arrive by the expected delivery date" which was well over a week after launch and won't do anything about it.

Ultimately I got feed up with with their b latent attempts to push prime by deliberately slowing down shipping for normal customers and canceled my order.

Ondore

So I ordered Hyrule Warriors during the E3 promo, and used my visa debit as a payment method. Now it's telling me that it is unable to process my order, despite the fact that I made sure I had the right amount at the beginning of this week. I specifically put about 60 dollars in the account just in case, however it just sent me a second email saying that it is unable to process my order because of payment information.

Was I wrong in assuming that I was only going to be charged on a per game basis? Do I need to pay for the whole order at once?

Best Buy (and FS) don't play well with Visa debit cards. You could get around it by buying a gift card for the amount - that's what I did last year. I don't believe Paypal would be an option at this point.

Well what shipping speed did you select? If it's free sometimes it can take awhile for things to ship.

I had that happen to me with Tales of Xillia 2 and all customer service had to say was "it will arrive by the expected delivery date" which was well over a week after launch and won't do anything about it.

Ultimately I got feed up with with their b latent attempts to push prime by deliberately slowing down shipping for normal customers and canceled my order.

I did pick free. I feel like Amazon used to not be this bad but on the other hand they were awful in shipping Rorona Plus and Xillia 2 so who knows.

This case is different, though, because Amazon.ca actually lists the game as "temporarily out of stock" versus the other games, which were in stock, so I'm wondering if anyone else got their copy this time around. Maybe they just never received any copies (which, shitty but okay). Or maybe they just shipped their first shipment out to Prime customers and told non-Prime customers to get fucked (which, fuck off and die Amazon).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow, Amazon shipped my copy of Zelda today. Delivery on Monday.

I was expecting them to give me the shaft again. They shipped my Danganronpa 2 pre-order 4 days after launch, so I received it a full week and a day after launch day.

iiicon

Do they work with the new game? I'm just so ignorant when it comes to these games!

yes, but only in Toy Box mode (I think). it's the 1.0 play sets that are incompatible.

has anyone played the new game? any good? I'm in the market for a new co-op game to play with my nephew after finishing up Lego Marvel.

DasDamen

What are some good DRM free music stores? I know about 7 Digital and iTunes (don't have any Apple products and iTunes is the shittiest thing ever). I heard Amazon is pretty good but I can only find CD/Vinyl on their Canadian website.

You don't need to use iTunes to listen to the music you bought; you can just use it as a storefront.

Takuan

Anyone who ordered from Amazon get their Hyrule Warriors today? My shipping date was next Friday for some reason. They corrected it, but I won't be getting it until Tuesday according to the agent. Claimed it wasn't a "release day shipping" game and therefore I wouldn't have gotten it today regardless. He did upgrade all of the other games in that order to Express shipping, though.

mdubs

Banned
Anyone know if best buy allows exchanges for the same game on a different console? ordered most of my games at e3 for xbox one and its getting a little lopsided on the shelf, so I want to switch some of the games to ps4 versions.

do they allow swaps?

Not usually, kind of depends who you get so you may get lucky

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm looking to get my first cellphone (yeah yeah, I know...!) and I'm not sure if what I'm looking at is optimal.

Since I won't use it that much, I plan to get my girlfriend's older Android she isn't using anymore, and get a prepaid plan with Koodoo. The basic one is $15 per month for unlimited texts, and I can add bulks of talking time ($25 for 500 min) and data ($30 for 1gb) that won't expire, so I guess I could last several months with those. (link: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml)

Does that look like a decent plan for a cheapass like me who won't use it that much? I'm open to other suggestions, but so far it looks like the cheapest for my kind of usage.

So I'm looking to get my first cellphone (yeah yeah, I know...!) and I'm not sure if what I'm looking at is optimal.

Since I won't use it that much, I plan to get my girlfriend's older Android she isn't using anymore, and get a prepaid plan with Koodoo. The basic one is $15 per month for unlimited texts, and I can add bulks of talking time ($25 for 500 min) and data ($30 for 1gb) that won't expire, so I guess I could last several months with those. (link: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml)

Does that look like a decent plan for a cheapass like me who won't use it that much? I'm open to other suggestions, but so far it looks like the cheapest for my kind of usage.

Depending where you are located, you might be able to use Wind Mobile, $30 a month for all you can eat data, local calls, texts.

You just have to make sure you stay within their service areas.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Depending where you are located, you might be able to use Wind Mobile, $30 a month for all you can eat data, local calls, texts.

You just have to make sure you stay within their service areas.

I'm in Montréal and I'll move around Quebec, coverage looks far from ideal for me. :(

Sora_N

Future shop has Witch and the Hundred Knight $19.97, Darkness 2 $4.97 (both games are clearance I guess)

Staples Pikmin 3 is $19.97 and so is PS4 Tomb Raider. Your store selection will probably vary. Didn't see anything else worthwhile but didn't look hard.

Saw people mention it earlier. But BB just emailed me my Skyward Sword costumes for Hyrule Warriors just now.

SS Zelda and HW Zelda designs are love

I believe 7-11 is the best for prepaid low-usage. They use Rogers.

Same, it seems like it'll be in my community mailbox today since it says out for delivery. I'm beyond pleased. I'll bust that open tonight and play it.

You people living close to distribution centers are so lucky... Nintendo games and their Friday release are always the ones I get further from release date...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I believe 7-11 is the best for prepaid low-usage. They use Rogers.

Thanks, will look into that. I also found the GrooveIP android app that would allow me (if I understood correctly) to make free calls using the Gmail call function as long as I'm using wifi, so I'd only use my prepaid time for incoming calls or when I'm away from wifi.

Anyone has experience with that?

I'm really a cheapass, but I really don't feel like paying for a relatively expensive subscription when I can get something cheaper for low usage.

Lizardus

You people living close to distribution centers are so lucky... Nintendo games and their Friday release are always the ones I get further from release date...

What do you mean close to distribution center? I live in northern Alberta and my copy shipped from southern B.C. on the 25th and arrived on the 26th.

Jashobeam

Bloodborne CE is available for preorder now at Amazon.ca, just grabbed one for $99.99

just wanted to add that compared to the Order 1886 CE that comes with a statue, this is way overpriced, jeez!

Stage On

I did pick free. I feel like Amazon used to not be this bad but on the other hand they were awful in shipping Rorona Plus and Xillia 2 so who knows.

This case is different, though, because Amazon.ca actually lists the game as "temporarily out of stock" versus the other games, which were in stock, so I'm wondering if anyone else got their copy this time around. Maybe they just never received any copies (which, shitty but okay). Or maybe they just shipped their first shipment out to Prime customers and told non-Prime customers to get fucked (which, fuck off and die Amazon).

Odd it's showing up as in stock for me thought they don't have much left, and I know other people who ordered from them and already got a copy.

The answer is simple. Their service was so good before prime that the only way to incentive people to buy prime was to make the standard service more shitty. It used to be that anything I ordered would ship basically right away as long as it was in stock or as soon as it came into stock and then I'd get it the next day.

I STILL get it the next day as long as it ships, the difference is they can't be assed to mail it out for days on end simply becuse I'm not prime and am therefor second or even third class when using free shipping.

Funny how other places don't treat me like that. I used Free shipping with EB games on a very small title and yet still got it on release day.

Top Bottom