• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Joeku

Very odd to put it out the same week as the Call of Duty bundle and just a week after the Sunset Overdrive bundle, yes. Probably some silly business reason.

stn

Is the X1 sold out everywhere now? I have some credit leftover at EB and am itching to get one now.

Is the X1 sold out everywhere now? I have some credit leftover at EB and am itching to get one now.

Don't think it will be sold out by any means. Might be out of stock but I think they will be restocked just as fast.

Microsoft want to sell as many consoles as they can. They want that NPD.

Grimsen

Man, if only the Montreal area had a place that took my extra 360 arcade for 100$ and had the 50$ rebate, I'd bite now instead of waiting for Quantum Break.

nordique

SO is freaking amazing. I'm so glad I decided to not return the game.

Sunset Overdrive looked boring when I watch the live streams, I don't blame you. But I bought it anyway and I can't stop playing it. It's definitely the best current gen game, aside from Nintendo's excellent Wii U effort.

If it has a nice single player campaign I might reconsider...that's some praise for the game, I got the vibe that it wasn't my cup to tea from the reviews and that its more online focused - something I am not too interested in.

Man, if only the Montreal area had a place that took my extra 360 arcade for 100$ and had the 50$ rebate, I'd bite now instead of waiting for Quantum Break.

I am surprised there is no MS Store in Montréal

RS4-

YMMV on trading in old 360s. They wouldn't take my fat system, so I didn't bother buying the SO bundle.

I'll just wait until BF/Christmas or something.

spyguy

YMMV on trading in old 360s. They wouldn't take my fat system, so I didn't bother buying the SO bundle.

What was their reasoning for not accepting your old console? I have an old fat console I'd like to trade in as well.

NYR

No one will take the old ones, they are all broken. Microsoft fixed them and cycled them through the red rings, but there was an issue with the thermal paste used, they will all fail eventually due to over heating.

They want your old ones to refurbish and sell in 3rd world markets.

I am surprised there is no MS Store in Montréal

There was one a couple of years ago in one of the downtown malls, forget which.

I know there isn't a Montreal store and I was kinda bummed about it but I did manage to sell my PS3 Slim which has been sitting idle for months for about $130. Its a 160GB version and I think I got more than I wanted for it.

So be sure to try selling your old consoles on Craigslist or Kijiji. However, I don't see you getting the same kind of money for a fat 360.

Megasoum

Banned
If it has a nice single player campaign I might reconsider...that's some praise for the game, I got the vibe that it wasn't my cup to tea from the reviews and that its more online focused - something I am not too interested in.

The game is not online focused at all. There is a multiplayer mode but the main focus of the game is clearly the campaign.

I'm also in the camp of people who can't stop playing. When I was watching the previews it looks like a game with a cool concept and gimmick but not much of a game but oh boy was I wrong.

It seriously one of the best open world game I've played in a LONG time. I can't remember the last time I played an open world game where I was actually looking forward to playing the side quests.

Was able to get a price match on the source $39.99 dualshock 4 at walmart today.

They didn't seem to mind it started tmw, Got myself a camo one.

Going to do it tomorrow morning. I figured I'd save the gas today, because they likely wouldn't allow it.

I just can't decide between white, blue and camo. Haha.

Madness

You should go back and definitely tell them that it's any console. I spoke with Microsoft Store and their twitter before going. They said it was any. I specifically went to the store, spoke with an employee and then the manager to check whether old consoles will work and they said yes.

Plus, the very site and company that handles trade in, shows that you get the $100 value on any xbox 360 console. Speak to a manager, tell them to check their trade in system again.

What was their reasoning for not accepting your old console? I have an old fat console I'd like to trade in as well.

Mine was an old phat Elite, all I gave was the console, controller, A/V cables and power brick. Got $100 for it.

The terms say an E or S model I believe.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...fer?Icid=Homepage_WhatsNew_5_XboxTrade_101314

http://microsoftconsoletrade.cexchange.com/online/home/index.rails

It's funny, the main page only says S or E if you select a store, but if you look solely at the promotion itself or their trade in site, it shows every console. Plus, their own support when you call in said it's $100 for any version of the console for me, so definitely tell them that and speak to a manager too. Be polite and tell them that, and maybe show them the above two links on your smartphone. Once they print out the trade in pages, they'll see it shows as $100 as well.

farisr

Don't know if this has been mentioned before. EXPIRES TODAY.

Shop.ca, use code RETAILMENOT80OFF350 for $80 off any order $350 or more. The Xbox One + Kinect Assassins Creed Unity bundle they have which included and extra controller + play and charge kit seems to be the best one to use this on, as that is a current bundle, with a current game, and the price is exactly what it should be (575 as it includes an extra controller+play n charge kit). They do have other cheaper versions available, but they're either older, or the pricing just seems off.

Note: The $80 gets applied after the tax, so it'll be $80 worth of savings regardless of where you live in canada and what you get taxed.

Banned
I just won a code for $100 of an Xbox one on the Microsoft store from ebay. Paid $17 CAD for it so I'm saving $83 off an Xbox one. The basic SKU is sold out though. Maybe I should buy the AC bundle and sell both codes? I buy my multiplats on PS4.

Banned
So the X1 at 349 starting yesterday was bullshit from the MS reps a few people called on the phone...?
Seems like it. The fact that they never raised the price of the XB1 like Sony was already a discount in itself, so I'm shocked that they are offering the basic SKU for $369.

Madness

So the X1 at 349 starting yesterday was bullshit from the MS reps a few people called on the phone...?

I didn't speak to any rep on the phone. I got the price drop in store on Sunset launch, without asking for it, as the lady read off the computer. She said the price was dropping November 2nd but she'd give it to me now. It's why I made a YMMV thread.

Now maybe they weren't supposed to drop the price, maybe it was US only, or maybe they were told not to match, but I'm almost certain that if you went into the store, had the Microsoft store offers links above, the trade in links, or even called and spoke with a rep on the phone, and then went in and spoke with the manager, they'd do it.

Sweet Ivy

I didn't speak to any rep on the phone. I got the price drop in store on Sunset launch, without asking for it, as the lady read off the computer. She said the price was dropping November 2nd but she'd give it to me now. It's why I made a YMMV thread.

Now maybe they weren't supposed to drop the price, maybe it was US only, or maybe they were told not to match, but I'm almost certain that if you went into the store, had the Microsoft store offers links above, the trade in links, or even called and spoke with a rep on the phone, and then went in and spoke with the manager, they'd do it.
Could you post the receipt for price match?

I was told about the reduction both on the phone and at the MS store, but they were out of non-preordered Sunset bundles and no idea when they'd restock.
They have plenty at BB though, so I'd be happy to price match there if EB Games won't.

Takuan

Damn, I just saw the eBay XB1 Sunset OD bundle deal in my inbox, that's an practically impulse buy. I suspect MS will be even more aggressive this holiday season, discounting the system and bundling 2-3 relevant titles to sweeten the deal further. It should be a great holiday season for gamers, deal-wise.

Are any Toronto Gaffers interested in Freedom Wars Vita for $25? Comes with the pre-order DLC code. I just don't have the time for it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is the only place to get an unlocked iPhone 6 the Apple Store?

I picked up a 16GB Plus, but I need to return it and get a 64GB model. Looks like I may need to order it online and wait a month for it, though. =\

farisr

It's such a joke that best buy doesn't let you redeem certificates online. What are they waiting for a revolution or something?

Yup. My take on it is, It's like that for 2 reasons. Lots of certificates will go unused because people don't want to go into the store or have time to, that way BB can take credit for offering rewards, while not actually taking a hit in money.

The 2nd is, the people who do go into stores, they believe they'll be tempted to buy more products. Looking at items online is one thing, looking at physical items is another. People are more likely to buy a regular priced item they weren't planning on getting before, when they see it in store, compared to when they see an image of it online.

Yup. My take on it is, It's like that for 2 reasons. Lots of certificates will go unused because people don't want to go into the store or have time to, that way BB can take credit for offering rewards, while not actually taking a hit in money.

The 2nd is, the people who do go into stores, they believe they'll be tempted to buy more products. Looking at items online is one thing, looking at physical items is another. People are more likely to buy a regular priced item they weren't planning on getting before, when they see it in store, compared to when they see an image of it online.
But doesn't the US best buy allow the redemption of them online?

I see what you're saying though. I figure the same. But with that said, there's got to be a lot of people like me that just let them expire because I simply don't want to bother with going there. Whereas if I could redeem it online I actually WILL buy something.

I just won a code for $100 of an Xbox one on the Microsoft store from ebay. Paid $17 CAD for it so I'm saving $83 off an Xbox one. The basic SKU is sold out though. Maybe I should buy the AC bundle and sell both codes? I buy my multiplats on PS4.

This is interesting. Did the seller say where the code come from?

Banned
This is interesting. Did the seller say where the code come from?

Microsoft gave them out to some sponsor companies apparently. He hasn't messaged me the code yet and I sent money at 8am. If it's a scam its protected by PayPal and it was only $15.50 USD.

I'm actually more tempted to trade in my ps4 and all games and headphones to pay it off in full plus a game or two.

Microsoft gave them out to some sponsor companies apparently. He hasn't messaged me the code yet and I sent money at 8am. If it's a scam its protected by PayPal and it was only $15.50 USD.

I'm actually more tempted to trade in my ps4 and all games and headphones to pay it off in full plus a game or two.

Anyone know of any deals on Forza Horizon 2 for Xbone?

Moltenix

Took my chirping-noise Sunset bundle to the MS store. They had one left for an exchange.

Initially, you could hear the coil whine issue but after the initial update, that disappeared. You can hear the fan whirring but no more cricket sounds that can be heard from over 10 feet away.

pr0cs

pretty disappointing that other online retailers aren't going to officially match MS's price on the XBO.
I really want one but I'll wait until I get something closer to the US price or software I want bundled with it.
I figured that the rumored price would be a MS store only special but I had my fingers cross either way.

I have $150 worth of BB gift cards that I want to use but so far they don't really have any notable specials yet.

My Advanced Warfare from Amazon still hasn't changed status from an estimated Nov 13th ship date. What the hell?

I normally don't mind waiting a bit, but now I've missed out on double XP and I'm starting to get concerned they might send me the standard edition and I wanted the other extras in the Day Zero.

I don't know if it's worth my time to email them to complain either since I used free shipping (since I live in TO and shipping speeds are no problem) and they'll probably just tell me I should have used Prime or something.

I still have 4 more games pre-ordered there too. Lesson learned I guess. BB or FS next time for pre-orders that are time sensitive.

Top Bottom