• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Is kijiji or Craigslist more popular for buying and selling games? I've mostly used kijiji but most users seem to expect to get rare, excellent condition games for like 10$. I constantly have people haggling (more like demanding) for 50% off. When I used kijiji outside the gta before, I didn't have to deal with so many people like that.

My wife was selling a lamp worth 30$ with the original packaging for 12$ and the people wanting it were demanding 10$ and expecting the light bulb included.

Craigslist is more popular in Vancouver (which explains all the Kijiji advertising I've seen). But hagglers are everywhere.

jholmes

Untitled.png

I don't get it, it says it got delivered. I'm in Vancouver now and I can't check myself but my kid brother and mom say that it's not there. Guess I have to call Best Buy to see what's up?

You're in Vancouver and the package went from Mississauga to Scarborough?

Uhh, good luck, I guess.

Watching the Interstellar early screening at the Scotiabank IMAX in Montreal tonight Canada GAF. Excited as fuck, see you guys in the stars or the other side.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Watching the Interstellar early screening at the Scotiabank IMAX in Montreal tonight Canada GAF. Excited as fuck, see you guys in the stars or the other side.

wtf? TODAYYYY? How come I didn't know about this screening. I thought the earliest was Thursday night. I got my tickets for that. God damn it

wtf? TODAYYYY? How come I didn't know about this screening. I thought the earliest was Thursday night. I got my tickets for that. God damn it

These tickets went up a month ago I believe. That's when I bought them. Supposed to be North America and few screens only.

Hyunkel6

Is kijiji or Craigslist more popular for buying and selling games? I've mostly used kijiji but most users seem to expect to get rare, excellent condition games for like 10$. I constantly have people haggling (more like demanding) for 50% off. When I used kijiji outside the gta before, I didn't have to deal with so many people like that.

My wife was selling a lamp worth 30$ with the original packaging for 12$ and the people wanting it were demanding 10$ and expecting the light bulb included.
I've been using both for years, and I get far more responses from Kijiji (Montreal). People very rarely haggle too, but I only sell video games.

Big Chungus

I've been using both for years, and I get far more responses from Kijiji (Montreal). People very rarely haggle too, but I only sell video games.

Yeah I hate when someone asks for my address when they say they're going to buy my games but then never show up.

I feel really paranoid after giving them my address...

Hyunkel6

Yeah I hate when someone asks for my address when they say they're going to buy my games but then never show up.

I totally agree. I never give my address. I always ask them to meet me at a nearby public place (metros and libraries being my favorites).

ElNino

did anyone order the entire amiibo set from amazon <__<?
At one point, yes. I had two orders for all of wave 1 and 2 but I've realised it would be a waste to get them all right now so I've cancelled the orders.

I'll pick up a few that I think my son and I will like after they are released.

krae_man

Okay so I emailed Bestbuy a week ago to get Captain Toad adjusted to reflect the $44.99 MSRP and was ignored. Today I phoned and the rep I got didn't even understand what I was asking so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor at least knew about the E3 promotion and what I was asking and claimed their new preorder system will fix things automatically.

This is new. Assuming he wasn't full of it.

zroid

Banned
Okay so I emailed Bestbuy a week ago to get Captain Toad adjusted to reflect the $44.99 MSRP and was ignored. Today I phoned and the rep I got didn't even understand what I was asking so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor at least knew about the E3 promotion and what I was asking and claimed their new preorder system will fix things automatically.

uhhhh

I'll believe it when I see it

stn

Has anyone had luck price matching the X1 at Best Buy or Future Shop using the MS Store or EB deal? Please and thank you!

nordique

SO is freaking amazing. I'm so glad I decided to not return the game.

Update Canada-GAF!

So....it turns out the Microsoft store (in chinook, Calgary) isn't doing the 50$ reduction anymore!!

The people who scored one Sunday were lucky....it looks like the drop isn't actually happening in Canada and it was mistake. I was told it was an "error".. I was pretty ticked, after they told me over and over that the drop was happening in Canada...i even went to the store on Sunday to confirm but left empty handed because I was after the Sunset Bundle!!!

So, I just went to EB games today and traded my stuff in. Should have gone for the Ass-creed bundle on Sunday, but oh well...c'est la vie. I traded in a bunch of stuff I'll never touch again so my bundle was 119$, currently have the code on ebay which should go for a least 40$.

I'm content with that. But really sucks and misconstrued information from MS on the 50$ drop in Canada....Just disappointing how they handled it.

So - if you can, I would try to complain....but I had no luck today at chinook. I could have scored the discount on Sunday too....ah well.

Sora_N

Guess he didn't give it to you? I doubt their horrible site will be able to do such a thing lol.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I didn't expect BB to drop it + the E3 discount so I ordered it again from FS during their last sale.

Thanks for the responses. I also found that people didn't haggle so much in Montreal when I sold things there. I wouldn't mind the haggling if it wasn't obnoxiously low and consistently having people saying they would buy something just stop contacting me.

i-Jest

Update Canada-GAF!

So....it turns out the Microsoft store (in chinook, Calgary) isn't doing the 50$ reduction anymore!!

The people who scored one Sunday were lucky....it looks like the drop isn't actually happening in Canada and it was mistake. I was told it was an "error".. I was pretty ticked, after they told me over and over that the drop was happening in Canada...i even went to the store on Sunday to confirm but left empty handed because I was after the Sunset Bundle!!!

So, I just went to EB games today and traded my stuff in. Should have gone for the Ass-creed bundle on Sunday, but oh well...c'est la vie. I traded in a bunch of stuff I'll never touch again so my bundle was 119$, currently have the code on ebay which should go for a least 40$.

I'm content with that. But really sucks and misconstrued information from MS on the 50$ drop in Canada....Just disappointing how they handled it.

So - if you can, I would try to complain....but I had no luck today at chinook. I could have scored the discount on Sunday too....ah well.

Well fuck. Not like I had the funds to take advantage anyway though. If I did, I'd be hunting down a Sunset Overdrive Bundle like mad.

nordique

Thanks for the responses. I also found that people didn't haggle so much in Montreal when I sold things there. I wouldn't mind the haggling if it wasn't obnoxiously low and consistently having people saying they would buy something just stop contacting me.

Yeah, my experience on kijiji in Calgary hasn't been that great since I've lived here. When I was in Québec or Manitoba, I never had any issues, people were either fair or just went for the price you had...and its not a hassle to sell anything.

Calgary...it seems to be if you're selling, people either really low ball it or they send messages without even reading the ads. It really puts me off so I refrain from going the kijiji route. I'm not sure what other Calgarian experiences are, but mine are brutal with kijiji...I only go if absolutely necessary. I've sold items where people will show up with half the money of the price I thought we agreed on....and I'm a pretty generous guy... I sold an iphone to someone and gave them a quarter of their money back because they were new to Canada so I wanted to leave them with a positive experience...but that kind of low balling, showing up in person with half the previously-agreed upon price is just ridiculous /rant

Well fuck. Not like I had the funds to take advantage anyway though. If I did, I'd be hunting down a Sunset Overdrive Bundle like mad.

Yeah its a pretty nice system. I wasn't too impressed with the white mate finish but its grown on me slowly, and am happy I got the white system in the end (it looks more unique and less bland)

daevv

I bought a few used games during the Futureshop sale last month. Got them today but they sent me Rayman DS instead of New Super Mario Bros DS. :(

i-Jest

I bought a few used games during the Futureshop sale last month. Got them today but they sent me Rayman DS instead of New Super Mario Bros DS. :(

You should be able to contact CS online about that right? You have a list of orders online. You have the order numbers online as well. Shouldn't be to much trouble right?

iphys

I like to meet at the local Tim Hortons, especially since it's across the street from my bank so I can quickly deposit the cash and not be walking around with it on me.

daevv

You should be able to contact CS online about that right? You have a list of orders online. You have the order numbers online as well. Shouldn't be to much trouble right?

Yeah shouldn't be hard. Looks like used New Super Mario is in stock still too.

Edit: Looks like their site is acting up. I couldn't login in either Firefox, Chrome or on my iPad.

big_z

ive never seen their system properly update game prices once theyre locked in. its a simple fix though, wait until it ships then send them an email and they will refund the difference. had to do it before and its painless.

flkraven

It seemed pretty obvious they weren't going to do the drop in Canada. All the officiall language and higher-ups were saying it was US only, no Canada, but most were hanging all their hopes on a few conversations some RFDers had with low-level MS support workers.

Still sucks, but there are still some great XB1 deals for the holidays. I'm sure there will be even better ones come black friday/boxing day

It seemed pretty obvious they weren't going to do the drop in Canada. All the officiall language and higher-ups were saying it was US only, no Canada, but most were hanging all their hopes on a few conversations some RFDers had with low-level MS support workers.

Still sucks, but there are still some great XB1 deals for the holidays. I'm sure there will be even better ones come black friday/boxing day

I'm really hoping so. I still believe in $350 bundles for boxing day. Or perhaps $400 bundles that include an extra game or year of Live

flkraven

I'm really hoping so. I still believe in $350 bundles for boxing day. Or perhaps $400 bundles that include an extra game or year of Live

Well, I got that deal off the MS store which was $400 Sunset Bundle + Free Watch Dogs + $50 XBL Credit, so I would imagine something like that could happen again.

pr0cs

What the hell!? They had a sale like that??

actually it was even better than that, it wasn't just watchdogs, it was a game from a list of 4-5 different games such as Ryse, DR3 etc...watchdogs was on that list.
I believe the sale was back in August or something.

Sucks to hear that the US sale price didn't make it here but I understand why with our dollar taking a bath compared to US currency.

I will probably just pony up and buy the SO bundle before the end of the month.

dankir

So what's the deal with prices for games? I bought Sunset Overdrive at 64.99 everything else is still 69.99.

What gives?

By the time Amazon decides to ship me cod and it gets to me, it will be like day 9 or 10 edition instead of day 0.

Amazon has gotten BRUTAL over the past 6 months or so. It's really insane, they've just been shipping later and later. It's inexcusable really, for something from a retailer as big as them to be taking longer than a week when I could literally order from Future Shop today and get it by Friday.

soultron

Banned
You mean delivery?

If I was going to pay extra for it I would definitely want it in the same day. If it's tomorrow by the latest I find that their standard free shipping will suffice.

I think it's handy for when you get towards the end of the week and want to have something for the weekend. As long as you order by 12 PM Thursday, you'll have it Friday.

I think it's handy for when you get towards the end of the week and want to have something for the weekend. As long as you order by 12 PM Thursday, you'll have it Friday.

I guess.

I ordered The World of Ice and Fire last Thursday and got it on Friday with free shipping. That's without Prime. I guess if I'm going to pay the $4 I really want to make sure I'm getting it same day.

Dazzler

Craigslist in Vancouver is a nightmare for low ballers and completely unreasonable hagglers

I only sell Video games but I'm going to start selling some lego sets soon because I need the cash, hoping it goes smoothly

Top Bottom