• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I didn't mention it earlier but I was weak and ordered that Amiibo set from Costco and got it today here in Toronto. I knew that once I saw Kirby in person earlier this week that I would break down. Fucking Nintendo taking my money. :(

Here's a few ideas to make this great thread even better for when the new thread goes up in about 800 posts from now.

1. If you post you got something on sale then you should post what city you're in (or the exact location of the store) as well as the actual price from the store instead of what you paid after gift cards/trades/etc. It's annoying seeing what you think is an amazing deal only later to find out the person had a $10 gift card and didn't mention that's why they paid so little.

2. Shipping talk: Just like posting what city you're in when you post a deal, post what city you're in when you post you got a shipping notice. BB/FS ships to cities farther away from their distribution centres earlier than those close to them in the hope they arrive around the same time. Just because you're in Toronto and haven't gotten a shipping notice and the game releases the next day doesn't mean you won't get it on time. I've gotten shipping notices close to midnight and got the shipment the next day many times.

Bonus: As a general rule, you ordered from Amazon and don't have Prime? You're not getting it on launch day no matter where you live. If you have in the past then lucky you because they usually delay even shipping it until a few days after launch for non-Prime customers.

3. In consideration for the people who would like to skip the chit chat and only see the deals, maybe we should have a banner in the style of what's in the OP that says something like "New Deal" that you can copy/paste into a post when a new deal is posted. It would make it easier for people to see when new deals are posted without having to read every post.

Thoughts?

iphys

Maybe we should just begin every post that's a deal post with "NEW DEAL:" so people can scan through the posts for them. I'd be much too lazy to figure out how to copy the banner in every time.

Canon

Banned
It'll get adjusted once the envelope is actually opened and verified at the processing centre. If you made the deposit after 6PM this evening, it won't go through processing until overnight Monday so you won't see the adjustment until Tues. If you did it before 6 this evening, it'll get caught tonight and you'll likely see the adjustment to your account on Monday. Regardless, it's extremely rare they don't catch cash discrepancies. I suppose I should qualify this by saying is used to work for one of the major Canadian banks; this is a fairly common issue.
Thanks!

Jinto

I kind of went overboard with my BF shopping today, but at least I got an Xbox One now. Besides SO and the MCC, what other exclusives are worth getting?

Also, I'm debating whether I should pick up a PS Camera. It's not totally useless, is it?

I kind of went overboard with my BF shopping today, but at least I got an Xbox One now. Besides SO and the MCC, what other exclusives are worth getting?

Also, I'm debating whether I should pick up a PS Camera. It's not totally useless, is it?

Not sure about the PS Camera, I'd probably recommend getting an X1 Kinect on craigslist for like $50.

But for X1 exclusives, I'd recommend:
- Titanfall (On sale for $15 digitally right now)
- Fantasia if you get a Kinect ($30 right now at Best Buy/Futureshop)
- Forza Horizon 2/ Forza 5 (Both on sale form MS on their online store)

Jinto

Not sure about the PS Camera, I'd probably recommend getting an X1 Kinect on craigslist for like $50.

But for X1 exclusives, I'd recommend:
- Titanfall (On sale for $15 digitally right now)
- Fantasia if you get a Kinect ($30 right now at Best Buy/Futureshop)
- Forza Horizon 2/ Forza 5 (Both on sale form MS on their online store)

Forgot about Titanfall. Thanks for the recommendations. Actually, I'm considering getting both the kinect and ps camera. Only problem is my TV stand is gonna look pretty goofy with the those 2 and the Wii U sensor bar, especially with them all being different sizes.

Sora_N

I didn't mention it earlier but I was weak and ordered that Amiibo set from Costco and got it today here in Toronto. I knew that once I saw Kirby in person earlier this week that I would break down. Fucking Nintendo taking my money. :(

Here's a few ideas to make this great thread even better for when the new thread goes up in about 800 posts from now.

1. If you post you got something on sale then you should post what city you're in (or the exact location of the store) as well as the actual price from the store instead of what you paid after gift cards/trades/etc. It's annoying seeing what you think is an amazing deal only later to find out the person had a $10 gift card and didn't mention that's why they paid so little.

2. Shipping talk: Just like posting what city you're in when you post a deal, post what city you're in when you post you got a shipping notice. BB/FS ships to cities farther away from their distribution centres earlier than those close to them in the hope they arrive around the same time. Just because you're in Toronto and haven't gotten a shipping notice and the game releases the next day doesn't mean you won't get it on time. I've gotten shipping notices close to midnight and got the shipment the next day many times.

Bonus: As a general rule, you ordered from Amazon and don't have Prime? You're not getting it on launch day no matter where you live. If you have in the past then lucky you because they usually delay even shipping it until a few days after launch for non-Prime customers.

3. In consideration for the people who would like to skip the chit chat and only see the deals, maybe we should have a banner in the style of what's in the OP that says something like "New Deal" that you can copy/paste into a post when a new deal is posted. It would make it easier for people to see when new deals are posted without having to read every post.

Thoughts?

Agree most with 1. Someone said ALBW was $20 and I honestly wasn't sure how until someone else said Shoppers. It was frustrating and I almost missed out.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Is the Marth Amiibo super rare or something? I've checked a few stores and while everyone else is there I don't see a Marth

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys I didn't paid much attention in Canadian deals. But Microsoft store gonna be selling Xbox One for 350$ and 450$ with one extra game on sunday? or it was just one day thing. One of my friend wants to buy it.

And can he still trade in his PS3 for 100$?

That would probably be best. Easy to see and you can Ctrl+F "new deal" to quickly find it if you're in a hurry. Plus, it's easy for someone posting from mobile-GAF to add it to their posts.

should be something more uncommon, new deal can come up in normal posts.

#hastagnewdeal2014

;)

Guys I didn't paid much attention in Canadian deals. But Microsoft store gonna be selling Xbox One for 350$ and 450$ with one extra game on sunday? or it was just one day thing. One of my friend wants to buy it.

And can he still trade in his PS3 for 100$?

they are currently doing this deal as well, i grabbed an xbox, ac:unity, ac:iv, and halo:mcc for $349

My Black Friday shopping consisted exclusively of a 32GB SD card from Walmart, Guardians of the Galaxy blu-ray preorder from Cineplex with two movie passes, and Far Cry 4 on eStarland ($45 before shipping right now, but I also used some credit I had there, grand total came to $34). All online.

Now I just join CanadaPackageShippingGAF.

Beats

All I bought today was a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 for 400$ (it was 200 off on NCIX). Might need to get an SD Card for Smash though.

Lined up at my local Superstore to get an Xbox One + Kinect Assassin's Creed bundle and left quite pleased. :) They had a no tax event today (on Black Friday of all days!) so the regular price of what I got would have been $499.99 + tax = $550+, but because of no tax day and the $50 off Black Friday deal and because they were supposed to give out $50 gift cards, but had none ready at the time, they just took another $50 off the console so I got:

Xbox One
Kinect
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed IV
Dance Central

all for $399.97 Canadian (including tax)! I feel like I got a better deal than a lot of US Black Friday shoppers for the Xbox One. How do you think I did, gaf?

Been playing the game I got the XB1 for, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and damn it is good! Not surprising given it's a Swery experience and Deadly Premonition is one of my all time favs!

That would probably be best. Easy to see and you can Ctrl+F "new deal" to quickly find it if you're in a hurry. Plus, it's easy for someone posting from mobile-GAF to add it to their posts.

But people won't ever read back to see if their new deal is actually a new deal.

Do people actually have trouble following this thread? This one has been alive since March, it doesn't exactly move at a blazing clip. It only goes beyond one or two pages a day during big sale times (E3/Black Friday/Boxing Day).

Haha I hate to sound pessimistic, I just feel like if we try stuff like this, half the thread will be clutter with people saying "follow the guidelines, guys" and "deal isn't new, look back a page".

My haul:
Moto G Second Generation for $200
32GB Class 10 Lexar MicroSD for $10
and Persona Q 3DS XL for $200

iYOLNNi9FpBtI.png

no regrets

Firestorm

Thoughts?
Great thoughts. I remember when I was using image banners for each store when we first started but got too hard. I think Deimos' idea of highlighting with NEW DEAL is great.

And how the hell are we within a thousand posts of a new thread already @_@

Maximus.

Great thoughts. I remember when I was using image banners for each store when we first started but got too hard. I think Deimos' idea of highlighting with NEW DEAL is great.

And how the hell are we within a thousand posts of a new thread already @_@

Shipping-gaf escalated the need for a new thread because there sure weren't that many deals!

EDIT: It would be AWESOME if we did that "NEW DEAL" in red or whatever, so that people can easily search the page or have it stand out!

kennah

I want to jump on that 32gig SD card, but am holding out for a 64 gig deal. I have 8gig in my phone and 3ds, and haven't run out of room on them yet anyway.

Just want that maxed out space feeling.

Sweet Ivy

Thoughts?
3: I had proposed posting the read deals in red some time back. Whatever happens having them look different would be great!

zroid

Banned
I should say that out of the five games I ordered from Amazon during E3 which have been released, I received four of them on day 1 with free shipping (GTA).

The only exception was Bayonetta 2, because Amazon decided to wait a few days and send it out along with Freedom Wars. I received both on the day Freedom Wars was released.

I might be an outlier but there you have it!

Does anyone know how long the games at EB are on sale for? Looking to get the Presequel at it's 39.99 price point.

eDIT: 30TH, of course.
That's what 39 hours without sleep will do to you folks.

whitehawk

Banned
I bought a 1TB Western Digital HDD from BestBuy for $69, only $10 off. Also came with a $10 carrying case.

Wasn't the best deal though. Is there anything better for hard drives out there? They also had 2TB drives for $99 but I don't think I need that much space.

XOMTOR

No problem. BTW, if you don't see an adjustment, you can be fairly confident that there wasn't an extra $20 in the envelope; banks aren't in the habit of making too many mistakes when it comes to the balancing of accounts; however if you're certain you can request an investigation. There'll likely be a fee that will be charged up front but will be refunded if a bank error is found. If not, you'll get stuck with the fee.

Roto13

Got a shipping notice from Best Buy but it was just about the GTA Trilogy for Mac I ordered so I could get free shipping in Curtain Call. What a let down. :p

Actually, it says Curtain Call is a "pre order" and it's expected to release on New Years Even. Haven't seen that before, for a game that's been out since September.

I just realized most of the HDD's I've been looking at are 3.5 inches and won't fit into my PS4.

It seems that most 2.5" HDD's are only either 1 or 2TB... are there not any that are 3-5? I'm going all digital this gen and don't want to delete every other game I get for the next seven years.

theRizzle

I just realized most of the HDD's I've been looking at are 3.5 inches and won't fit into my PS4.

It seems that most 2.5" HDD's are only either 1 or 2TB... are there not any that are 3-5? I'm going all digital this gen and don't want to delete every other game I get for the next seven years.

As far as I know, 2TB is the largest 2.5" HD.

Stage On

Does anyone know how long the games at EB are on sale for? Looking to get the Presequel at it's 39.99 price point.

eDIT: 30TH, of course.
That's what 39 hours without sleep will do to you folks.

You do know Target has it for cheaper right? I say it in store for $35 thought the flyer says it is supposed to be $30. I didn't pick it up yet since I'm holding out for $20 myself

chaosaeon

Best Buy at Bramalea city centre in Brampton kids were going there to pick up their Xbox One's. I was also told most people were buying Xbox's so I guess that made them feel a little braver to do that.

Not surprised in the least bit.

I told this story to someone sitting next to me in the room, and I was called a racist because I said it didn't surprise me either. Alrighty then.

Back to the topic, is it worth picking up the GTA/Last of Us PS4 from shoppers if I can get an employee discount on it but might not be using it much anyway ? (I wait almost a year for every game because of GoTY/DLC editions). I won't have much for games until after pricedrops or GoTY editions happen for UC4 and Bloodborne and by then the PS4 might have a pricedrop or new bundles. Worth it, or should I just keep waiting ?

SickBoy

I was confused about Staples' Moto G offering. That's not the Moto G LTE, right? So what's the difference between a Moto G and a "Moto G Second Generation"?

I would've thought it was the LTE model, but nothing about Staples' listing of it in the flyer (or on their website) seems to confirm that.

iphys

Best Buy at Bramalea city centre in Brampton kids were going there to pick up their Xbox One's. I was also told most people were buying Xbox's so I guess that made them feel a little braver to do that.

Sigh, what a bunch of numbskulls. If they really think they're so rich and XOne is so superior to PS4, then why were they out slumming it with the regular Joes at the Black Friday sales to get one now that they're selling them for bargain-bin prices: they should have bought it when it was $500. The reality is they probably haven't even saved up enough allowance money to even afford a PS4 yet, so they diss the person buying the PS4 to not feel bad about the fact they can't afford one.

jholmes

I have received maybe 90% of my Amazon purchases on launch day so I don't know that that's true.

Madness

Sigh, what a bunch of numbskulls. If they really think they're so rich and XOne is so superior to PS4, then why were they out slumming it with the regular Joes at the Black Friday sales to get one now that they're selling them for bargain-bin prices: they should have bought it when it was $500. The reality is they probably haven't even saved up enough allowance money to even afford a PS4 yet, so they diss the person buying the PS4 to not feel bad about the fact they can't afford one.

Yeah it's probably the $50-$100 in savings difference that is the reason they are like that, and not the fact they're probably immature fanboy assholes insulting someone for the different choice. Had they went PS4, they'd probably be insulting Xbox One buyers.

i-Jest

It's okay. We all know how you feel. I didn't think I'd buy any BUT now I have Marth, Villager, Fox and Wii Fit Trainer. All within the span of one week. If I'm not careful I'll buy Kirby next. I think I understand the hype around Skylanders and Disney Infinity now.

Here me well GAF. I am weak. (not proud)

Top Bottom