• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Seik

Banned
R.I.P. my copy of Dark Souls II CE (PC).

According to UPS rep my 'shipper' (NamcoBandai) sent them an invoice which had quite a vast price difference than my invoice resulting in a $84 fee (luckily I called in before they delivered).

And by 'a vast price difference' an order of the Collector's Edition and a free promotion t-shit somehow equates to a value of two Collector's Editions (about $242 'total estimated value')
:mad:

I have sent an email to NamcoBandai and talked with a UPS rep who directed me to a fellow named Fred Brok.

Hopefully things pan out okay.

If not. . . I guess lesson learned. :'(

EDIT:

Also forgot to mention that UPS said they would charge me to look at/correct the issue that the shipper caused?

UPS are thieves when it comes to international shipments.

I remember being charged a 40$ fee for Parasite Eve II + S.Guide that cost me 80$. Dat 50% fee. That's pretty much why I always ask people from the States to use USPS. Though I don't know what would've been better for you since it's from Namco/Bandai, was it shipped from the US?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Futureshop's website and customer support is completely fucked up.

So I pre-ordered watch_dogs in January. I still get a mail every week telling me that the item is "waiting for a release date"... I even received one of those this morning.

However, when I log on the FS website I can't see any orders placed in the last 12 months... I actually want to cancel that order since I bought the game on Origin but I can't see the other to cancel it.

I tried filling up the support form and send a mail to the "social media team" after the twitter account told me to do so and I have yet to see any answers to those querries.....

This is starting to get really annoying.

Their website is completely broken, and it's been that way for years. I can't believe they never bothered fixing it... Try calling...

jackharm

Neo Member
UPS are thieves when it comes to international shipments.

I remember being charged a 40$ fee for Parasite Eve II + S.Guide that cost me 80$. Dat 50% fee. That's pretty much why I always ask people from the States to use USPS. Though I don't know what would've been better for you since it's from Namco/Bandai, was it shipped from the US?

Yeah the origin scan for the package was in the US.

This was actually my first time ordering from the NamcoBandai site (I suppose I should have looked into the company some more beforehand (dat dark souls ii PC hype doe)) and at the time I placed my order they were advertising free shipping to Canada.

The main reason why I placed my order there was because at the time they were the only retailer that had the item available for order to Canadians. That, and they were giving a free DrkS II T-shirt with the preorders.

Futureshop's website and customer support is completely fucked up.

So I pre-ordered watch_dogs in January. I still get a mail every week telling me that the item is "waiting for a release date"... I even received one of those this morning.

However, when I log on the FS website I can't see any orders placed in the last 12 months... I actually want to cancel that order since I bought the game on Origin but I can't see the other to cancel it.

I tried filling up the support form and send a mail to the "social media team" after the twitter account told me to do so and I have yet to see any answers to those querries.....

This is starting to get really annoying.

Isn't there an order number in the email? I set a filter for my preorder emails.

I regret not preordering MK8 at E3. :(

Hey guys!

If anyone is buying the new Vita next Tuesday and does not want the Borderlands 2 download code, I would love to buy it from you. Just PM me with a price! It's for a gift for the wife! Thanks!

Mupod

Mario Kart 8 is still one of my Future Shop E3 preorders, but I'm moving from Sudbury to Toronto in a few days. If I change my shipping address will that screw things up? Part of that specific order has already shipped, but it's still got MK8 and FExSMT (lol) in it.

No_Style

Mario Kart 8 is still one of my Future Shop E3 preorders, but I'm moving from Sudbury to Toronto in a few days. If I change my shipping address will that screw things up? Part of that specific order has already shipped, but it's still got MK8 and FExSMT (lol) in it.

It shouldn't. I tried changing it when I moved but I couldn't do it via the site and had to call in to make the changes. You can also just pay a bit of money for Canada Post (which FS uses) to forward your mail to your new place.

Anony

^ in similar position, i have smash bros 3ds pre ordered (e3), but my credit card expires before it's gonna come out, i'm wondering if they're gonna cancel it if i change my cc info

along the same lans as CuthbertAllgoodz, i'm interested in the vita2000
if anyone in toronto is thinking of getting it, i'm interested in the vita2000 for my OLED vita
basically: if you get the vita2000 bundle we swap vitas, you get to keep everything in the bundle (the game and mem card) and i'll throw in a 4gb card and 2 game with it (have 3ds games too)
my vita has a day one anti-glare/matte screen protector and i'll include the official vita case if the new one does not fit

Does anyone know where to get a low-cost external HD that still uses an external power source? With the MK8 digital download deal looming, I figure I'm gonna need this (since I've got a basic), and a quick look at bestbuy/future shop gives me 100$+ options with 2 TB or 1 TB and I think that's too much for a Wii U, especially since I prefer physical copy and those HDs are going to be dedicated to Wii U....

ohlawd

Does anyone know where to get a low-cost external HD that still uses an external power source? With the MK8 digital download deal looming, I figure I'm gonna need this (since I've got a basic), and a quick look at bestbuy/future shop gives me 100$+ options with 2 TB or 1 TB and I think that's too much for a Wii U, especially since I prefer physical copy and those HDs are going to be dedicated to Wii U....
I'm in the same boat. I hardly buy digital games for my consoles (especially not for the U, need dem colorful cases) and my 32 gig is filled up. If I can get a cheapass 500 gig that'd be swell.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

One with a Y cable works fine as long as you plug the main cable into the top USB port in the back with the other one beneath in.

kennah

Don't go to Bestbuy for external hard drives. You should be looking at actual computer parts stores like Memory Express, Ncix, Canada Computers. That kinda thing. Or - keep an eye on Staples for sales/price matching.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
One with a Y cable works fine as long as you plug the main cable into the top USB port in the back with the other one beneath in.

Yup, this. It'll be cheaper, and smaller.

I think the WiiU only supports UBS 2.0. Look for those drives, they should be cheaper; no need to pay an extra for USB 3.0. I got a 500gb one for $60 a year ago on Amazon, but I guess you could find something even cheaper.

I know about the Y cable thing but is it really reliable? I've heard people talk about how their Y-cable-powered external HD sometimes "disconnected" mid-game on them....

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I know about the Y cable thing but is it really reliable? I've heard people talk about how their Y-cable-powered external HD sometimes "disconnected" mid-game on them....

It's probably not 100% reliable, but as someone who had it plugged in the other ways before, I haven't had any problems since doing it this way.

zroid

Banned
Since my PS3 died a few weeks ago, I had a spare 80GB 2.5" hdd lying around, perfect for using with my Wii U. Just needed to buy an enclosure, so picked one up for $8.99 from CanadaComputers this morning. Came with a Y-cable too so that worked out.

MarkusRJR

Same boat here. I have a basic and I only want to download VC games and the odd digital game (plus the free game with MK8). Everything is like 500gb or 1tb. I only need like 100gb at max.

Some Guy

^ in similar position, i have smash bros 3ds pre ordered (e3), but my credit card expires before it's gonna come out, i'm wondering if they're gonna cancel it if i change my cc info

This happened to me once before, with Rayman Legends. They sent me a warning email that my credit card for the order had expired. There was no way to update it through the website -- trying to do so generated error messages -- so I had to phone them to update it.

jholmes

I preordered Amazing Spider-Man 2 from Amazon.ca and as of yesterday it still had not shipped. I complained, then went to check on the order and saw they added another copy of the game to it! I complained again and they fixed it and bumped me up to expedited shipping to make up for it. That sounds great but I live less than an hour from their warehouse in Mississauga, so I was likely getting it within a day anyway.

I hope this game is worth all the hassle. (I think we know the answer to this.)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Most of my games are on disc, but I played quite a lot of downloadable games (Ducktales, Runner 2, NES Remix 2, Edge, Wii Fit U...) and I never got any disconnection.

Ondore

Apologies for the brief bit of shipping-GAF, but... my Mario Golf/Kirby double shot from Easter weekend just shipped from FutureShop. It also had the negative shipping on FS, but the charge was for the price without the shipping reduction.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
oh? maybe people are stocking up on Tales games. Gotta get on dat hype train.

$10 ToS HD, Xillia 2 in a couple months, Zestiria. aww babeh.

The JRPG thirst is real. Seeing as Square Enix has gone full retard (thank you
Nintendo
for giving us Bravely Default), Namco and Atlus are left to carry the mantle.

torontoml

Lots of Canadians here, figured it would be OK to get opinions, I'm moving to Fort McMurray and I need to ship my 55 inch led TV are there any suggestions on carriers?

krae_man

Lots of Canadians here, figured it would be OK to get opinions, I'm moving to Fort McMurray and I need to ship my 55 inch led TV are there any suggestions on carriers?

Sell it, buy a 4k TV with the mad oil cake you'll be making?

Hopefully you still have the original box and and Styrofoam. Put it back in, tape it up, Insure it, they're all pretty much the same

Sora_N

I preordered Amazing Spider-Man 2 from Amazon.ca and as of yesterday it still had not shipped. I complained, then went to check on the order and saw they added another copy of the game to it! I complained again and they fixed it and bumped me up to expedited shipping to make up for it. That sounds great but I live less than an hour from their warehouse in Mississauga, so I was likely getting it within a day anyway.

I hope this game is worth all the hassle. (I think we know the answer to this.)

I saw a stream and instantly remembered how awful almost everything in the first game was. I especially hated the combat. I lost all my temptation to buy ASM2,

ohlawd

The JRPG thirst is real. Seeing as Square Enix has gone full retard (thank you
Nintendo
for giving us Bravely Default), Namco and Atlus are left to carry the mantle.

no wai breh, SE is on the money with FFXV and KHIII.
ok no, idgaf about these two games, Nintendo pls give us Bravely Second
So is the MK8 bundle truly going to be $330 in Canada?

guess so.

hopefully the site gets fixed soon and the 200 refurb is still active. Can save hella lot more money that way.

MarkusRJR

$350 too with FS and BB lol
Oh wow basically no savings then.

-Deluxe bundle with game: $300
-Mario Wii Remote: $40-$45
-Wii Wheel: $5-$10

If I was going to buy a Wii U now I'd rather buy the remote separately and get a black Wii remote to match the console.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

If I was going to buy a Wii U now I'd rather buy the remote separately and get a black Wii remote to match the console.

You also need to factor in the free game offer for registering MK8.

Hey guys!

If anyone is buying the new Vita next Tuesday and does not want the Borderlands 2 download code, I would love to buy it from you. Just PM me with a price! It's for a gift for the wife! Thanks!

Well I'm planning on getting the new Vita and have no interest in Borderlands 2. I'll pass on the code to you if no one else has when I pick mine up.

Takuan

Are any shops other than Microplay doing that 50% off SM3DW or DKC:TF with the purchase of MK8 promo? Seriously considering buying a Wii U if that's a real thing.

What real? You mean the promo if you register MK8? That's actually true. It's even on Nintendo's site

Buy Mario Kart 8, get a free downloadable game from Club Nintendo!
No, in addition to the Nintendo digital freebie. Microplay Quebec is running its own promo, giving 50% off your choice of SM3DW or DKC:TF with the purchase of MK8; I don't think any other retailers are offering a deal of this magnitude, but thought I'd ask dealsGAF anyway.

But then you need to consider that every other Wii U bundle (save for the Skylanders one) comes with a game that you can get for free with the MK8 digital promo. Why get the NSMBU or Wind Waker bundle when you can just get those for free?

Top Bottom