• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Sora_N

Is SDM selling video games a regional thing. I live in Southern Ontario and have never seen anything game related in my local stores.

I think its up to the owner or managers what they carry. Most stores around here have some stuff but some stores have an actual section for them. Depends on location too.

Anyone have Rogers home phone? How long does the install take and what do they do? I think I know where the phone line comes in but I'm not sure

Why did the amount of deals (video game and other electronic goods) just stop coming recently?

Probably time of year + lower dollar. It's a low demand time of year so traffic is driven by people who actually need an item (and will pay full price) rather than the masses of holiday impulse buyers.

The difference is that UPS will go through customs every time, while EMS/Canada Post is basically a lottery.

If Namco/Digital River just used USPS, there would be fewer headaches.

Oh right, I totally forgot that was UPS. Makes sense now.

I feel like I've been charged duty on USPS packages under $100 as well, though--Threadless, for example. You're right in that it's very random, though. I think that's on purpose, really.

beta_fuse

Do you still have the negative shipping on your web order?

Same here. On my web order it says my total is $55 because of -$8 shipping but they charged my credit card for $63. I'm going to call them soon to see what they say but has anyone had any luck with this?

On a side note I received my order of Mario Golf and Kirby so for those in Montreal you should be getting your game(s) on Day 1, which is a first (for me at least).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
A $15 import fee for a $30 used copy of AC Black Flag from EBay. Is this how it is now?

I don't buy from ebay like I used to, but I think it might be the global shipping program. Huge rip off from what I understand about it. Basically, instead of the seller directly sending it to you, they send it to the American ebay warehouse at a lower cost, where they (ebay) re-ship it out to you, adding extra costs to the buyer and including import fees.

Takuan

krae_man

Same here. On my web order it says my total is $55 because of -$8 shipping but they charged my credit card for $63. I'm going to call them soon to see what they say but has anyone had any luck with this?

On a side note I received my order of Mario Golf and Kirby so for those in Montreal you should be getting your game(s) on Day 1, which is a first (for me at least).

You're probably out of luck since the original total which you agreed to the charge to was correct.

Ryde3

Anyone still holding out for a Wii U?

First come first serve, Mario & Luigi Deluxe set for $199.99 at MTF. Re-certified product, should be in proper working order (mine came from this site and works fine).

http://www.pricematters.ca/p-10947-nintendo-wii-u-32gb-mario-luigi-deluxe-set.aspx#.U2OqXLvLhqY

Really starting to wish I had held out until this deal too! Congrats to whoever get it!

damn! bummed out I missed out on this, been checking the thread like a mad man for a Wii U deal and missed out. *sigh*

Zing

Banned
A $15 import fee for a $30 used copy of AC Black Flag from EBay. Is this how it is now?
I flat out refuse to buy from any ebay seller who is part of that program. As soon as I scroll down and see "import fees", I go back to search results and find another seller.

I won't hate on them too much. Remember that sellers using the global shipping program are people who don't offer international shipping anyway. These are all items you would normally not have available to you. So, people who want to spend double the shipping cost out of desperation are able to.

Even though I've been hit with high customs and clearance fees over the last few weeks much worse than I used to, I just received this from Superfuo and didn't pay a penny thanks to them marking it as a gift of $5 value :D

UEvkKkk.jpg

krae_man

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Import fees thing on eBay either.

In theory, it's supposed to work like buying off Amazon.com works. They collect the taxes and duties in advance and the package flies through customs and you get it faster. Also with Amazon, they do the customs for free so you just pay the taxes. I just looked up Rayman Legends PS4 from amazon.com was $38.36 and the import fees were $5.14.

$15 on a $30 game sounds like the company(or wholly owned subsidiary who knows), that is doing the customs is charging the same $10 handling fee Canada post charges with the $5 being 13% sales tax give or take factoring in the exchange rate.

Ryne

I don't buy from ebay like I used to, but I think it might be the global shipping program. Huge rip off from what I understand about it. Basically, instead of the seller directly sending it to you, they send it to the American ebay warehouse at a lower cost, where they (ebay) re-ship it out to you, adding extra costs to the buyer and including import fees.

And on top of those fees you pay a brokerage fee to ebay's affiliate company. It really is a ripoff and practically killed my ebay shopping.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Saw a PS4 on kijiji for $450 with 3 games(Madden, Ghosts and NFS) and almost bought it. There's no killer title for me right now though so I held off.

i-Jest

Guys, what store can you recommend for something like this one?

Thanks. I guess I'll just stick with BL2 bundle :/

Is that the new Nexus? Lookin good.

Is there a Microplay in Toronto? I'm tempted to pre-order for the 50% off Donkey Kong

I don't think so. I saw the MK 8 preorder seal as well. Tempting but I'll pass.

Hmmm.Do these perform well? I'm not a tablet user so I'm not clear on the ins and outs regarding performance and the basics.

All this paying duty talk. I get hit with duty on the most random things. Small items like blurays or games? Yep pay up... Shipped a set of rather expensive rims from Japan? Nothing!

ohlawd

$16 for Mario Golf, whatta steal man.

Like I don't understand what I'm doing but who cares it's fun. hey FS, keep up with this release date delivery pls :3

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
$16 for Mario Golf, whatta steal man.

Like I don't understand what I'm doing but who cares it's fun. hey FS, keep up with this release date delivery pls :3

Wait, what? $35 - $10 pre-order rebate - ???

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
no, used my $20 off code FS gave me cuz they screwed up my Demon Gaze preorder.

I missed out on the $10 off deal cuz shit was sold out.

Oooh, ok thanks! Wondered if I missed something. I'm not a huge Mario Golf fan, but for $16 I would have tried the 3DS version!

Still glad I got Kirby today. It really is an exceptional game.

ohlawd

Oooh, ok thanks! Wondered if I missed something. I'm not a huge Mario Golf fan, but for $16 I would have tried the 3DS version!

Still glad I got Kirby today. It really is an exceptional game.

yeah I got that for my little bro earlier. He looks he's having fun with it. Not a Kirby fan at all but I'll try it out when the backlog clears up a bit.

Sheik

Oh man, this is so tempting... I really can't afford it right now but I've been wanting to get this tablet for a while. Seems like a great tablet to use for school and work, but I don't actually NEED it. Not to mention a 64gb microsd card would cost another $60. Must resist...

Anyone know firsthand how these things game? I've seen some YouTube videos and they look pretty laggy on most Steam games.

Returners

Oh man, this is so tempting... I really can't afford it right now but I've been wanting to get this tablet for a while. Seems like a great tablet to use for school and work, but I don't actually NEED it. Not to mention a 64gb microsd card would cost another $60. Must resist...

Anyone know firsthand how these things game? I've seen some YouTube videos and they look pretty laggy on most Steam games.

Atom processor... I've had an old one running Win7. Don't expect anything at all.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wii U Zombi U Deluxe is $269.99 at MTF. Not as good as the Mario one, but keep in mind that it does come with a pro-controller which pretty much never goes on sale and is set at $50.00. This is the deal I jumped up before Christmas...

http://www.pricematters.ca/p-10287-...-deluxe-set-limited-edition.aspx#.U2SVX7vLhqY

It also included a digital copy of Nintendoland which is an automatic $5 coupon from the Digital Deluxe promo assuming that still applies to new buyers.

Lexxism

Question for SDM points: Let's say I bought something at a 20x event. Is it possible to use the points right away with the one I purchased or it should be used in the next purchase?

I guess I'm late I asking this, but are there any preorder deals on Watch Dogs for PC?

I think both FS/BB still have the $10 off on watch_dogs for pc.

baconcow

Question for SDM points: Let's say I bought something at a 20x event. Is it possible to use the points right away with the one I purchased or it should be used in the next purchase?

Yes and no. Normal purchases without a coupon are updated immediately. I did 20x on $75 a recent Saturday and was able to see the points and transfer them immediately. They showed up on my receipt ready to be used.

However, I just used a 20x points on $25+ coupon I received in my email. This coupon had to be printed and is tied to my optimum card. It has a one time usage. I was told that I will receive these points by May 18th (says this on the coupon, but the cashier reiterated it). My expectation is that they delay these points as they are using a one time coupon tied to my account and it is the only way to control their usage.

So in the end, it all depends on the way you buy. If normally, then the points are instant. Other means (by coupon, etc.), you are best to verify with them at purchase. Also, 18,500 on $75 days are the best point per dollar if you spend $75. Otherwise, 20x are great. If you sign up for optimum coupons, you will receive many types.

Top Bottom