• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

krae_man

Bad news Fuzzy. I think we were charged the proper amount for Kirby and Mario Golf.

My Email has the proper amount in it. Same with the official invoice.

Are any shops other than Microplay doing that 50% off SM3DW or DKC:TF with the purchase of MK8 promo? Seriously considering buying a Wii U if that's a real thing.

No, in addition to the Nintendo digital freebie. Microplay Quebec is running its own promo, giving 50% off your choice of SM3DW or DKC:TF with the purchase of MK8; I don't think any other retailers are offering a deal of this magnitude, but thought I'd ask dealsGAF anyway.

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks for the info. Damn, buying Mario Kart now gets me a free game from Nintendo, and another game at 50% off. :D

jholmes

Lots of Canadians here, figured it would be OK to get opinions, I'm moving to Fort McMurray and I need to ship my 55 inch led TV are there any suggestions on carriers?

Shipping can be a pain in Fort McMurray. I lived there for years but I never had to ship anything. A buddy of mine did and I think he just paid for extra luggage on his flight. You might want to check Greyhound or perhaps Red Arrow, if you're in Alberta.

If you have any other questions about the town, I'd be happy to answer them. The good news is with all the single guys in their 20s, there are a lot of gamers up there. When I lived there, I went to a midnight launch for Final Fantasy XIII (yeah, I know) and there were a few dozen people lined up outside the EB. That's impressive when you consider it was March and something south of -25 C that night.

jackharm

Neo Member
UPS sure is funny. Apparently after they looked at the invoice I sent them (since somehow their invoice was double the amount mine was) they lowered the fees from $84 to $55 saving about $23 but are now charging me an amendment fee of $15 due to this reevaluation?

Not sure if I should just pay to get my item and have this headache over with, or just send it back and hope I can get my money back from NamcoBandaiGames (I used PayPal).

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
UPS sure is funny. Apparently after they looked at the invoice I sent them (since somehow their invoice was double the amount mine was) they lowered the fees from $84 to $55 saving about $23 but are now charging me an amendment fee of $15 due to this reevaluation?

Not sure if I should just pay to get my item and have this headache over with, or just send it back and hope I can get my money back from NamcoBandaiGames (I used PayPal).

LOL, they made a mistake that would have cost you money and then charge you money for fixing their mistake? What????

jackharm

Neo Member
LOL, they made a mistake that would have cost you money and then charge you money for fixing their mistake? What????

I also still don't understand why I am the one being charged this fee if they somehow were given an incorrect invoice from the shipper. Why wouldn't the shipper be the one charged due to their supposid negligence?

I asked UPS why I was the one being charged via email and this was their response:

"... you are responsible for the goods you are bringing into the country. As UPS is brokering the shipment on your behalf, you are the party billed for the $15 amendment fee for this re-rate service."
-----
Thanks for the free shipping NamcoBandaiGames!

Any idea how much EB would give for a slim 360 with Kinect?

Definitely not worth it. I'm sure you've considered trying out Kijiji, you'll probably get the best deal there.

If you're in or around Hamilton, there's a store called Entertainment Overload that pays decent for used games and systems. Compared to EB anyway. There used to be a couple near Niagara as well, but I think they closed, or are closing.

torontoml

Shipping can be a pain in Fort McMurray. I lived there for years but I never had to ship anything. A buddy of mine did and I think he just paid for extra luggage on his flight. You might want to check Greyhound or perhaps Red Arrow, if you're in Alberta.

If you have any other questions about the town, I'd be happy to answer them. The good news is with all the single guys in their 20s, there are a lot of gamers up there. When I lived there, I went to a midnight launch for Final Fantasy XIII (yeah, I know) and there were a few dozen people lined up outside the EB. That's impressive when you consider it was March and something south of -25 C that night.

Right on might send a couple PMs, but no not in Alberta, leaving Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Don't have a place to rent yet so I can't get it on the plane with me.

VillageBC

So I recently ran into a battle with UPS over duty and won with help of the seller. I bought a used item for $200 and they wanted to charge me $90 at the door for brokerage fees. I refused the delivery.

The seller was able to with ups arrange self clearing through customs. UPS mailed me a form, took it to customs paid my $26 in taxes. Emailed back the b15 form back to ups. They delivered the package 2 days later.

Took an extra week to get it. And likely I could have arranged self clearance myself without the settler getting involved.

But in the end, avoided UPS hostage fee they spring on you at the door. Customer service was excellent but the business practice of SUPRISE $90 FEE or you don't get it is dispicable. And I've paid it in the past because I thought I had no choice.

tldr; refused UPS $90 package hostage fee at the door, paid customs myself $26 and got my package.

Luigi87

So I recently ran into a battle with UPS over duty and won with help of the seller. I bought a used item for $200 and they wanted to charge me $90 at the door for brokerage fees. I refused the delivery.

The seller was able to with ups arrange self clearing through customs. UPS mailed me a form, took it to customs paid my $26 in taxes. Emailed back the b15 form back to ups. They delivered the package 2 days later.

Took an extra week to get it. And likely I could have arranged self clearance myself without the settler getting involved.

But in the end, avoided UPS hostage fee they spring on you at the door. Customer service was excellent but the business practice of SUPRISE $90 FEE or you don't get it is dispicable. And I've paid it in the past because I thought I had no choice.

tldr; refused UPS $90 package hostage fee at the door, paid customs myself $26 and got my package.
Grats.
I freaking hate UPS. They're the only courier service I've ever had any difficulty with consistently, and the only one to always nail me on customs.

VillageBC

Grats.
I freaking hate UPS. They're the only courier service I've ever had any difficulty with consistently, and the only one to always nail me on customs.

Yup, I prefer USPS or Purolator of necessary. It's only UPS that has nailed me on customs without fail. I typically won't buy if UPS is the only choice. But it was a private sale and didn't even consider the possibility b someone would willingly use ups.

But I best them so I'm happy.

koopas

Kind of a random question: has anyone seen Kirby Dreamland for Wii at retail anywhere in ontario? It's a gift, thanks.

zroid

Banned
Let's say it's $270 declared value. How much will I get charge? Of course I'm not going to use any courier like FedEx or UPS.

depends on if there's duty to be paid, but if it's just games then I think you would theoretically be charged $10 for handling by Canada Post and 13% HST on the value of the package.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
depends on if there's duty to be paid, but if it's just games then I think you would theoretically be charged $30 for handling by Canada Post and 13% HST on the value of the package.

Jesus, it's 30 bucks now? The last time I imported it was 10.

Lexxism

depends on if there's duty to be paid, but if it's just games then I think you would theoretically be charged $10 for handling by Canada Post and 13% HST on the value of the package.

Planning to get Pink/Black PSV-2000 and 64GB memory card. It will cost me like 300 CAD. I wonder if there's a chance of paying $50+?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Planning to get Pink/Black PSV-2000 and 64GB memory card. It will cost me like 300 CAD. I wonder if there's a chance of paying $50+?
It'll be 10 + tax on declared value, unless you are lucky and the package just slips through. I've never had to pay for Japan orders, but they've always been under a hundred bucks, which is the threshold anyway.

Ryne

It'll be 10 + tax on declared value, unless you are lucky and the package just slips through. I've never had to pay for Japan orders, but they've always been under a hundred bucks, which is the threshold anyway.

Last time I shopped online/overseas the threshold was 20 bucks. Guess I should do some more shopping.

zroid

Banned
Last time I shopped online/overseas the threshold was 20 bucks. Guess I should do some more shopping.

I'm pretty sure you're right, but I have found over the years that except for oversize items, they usually don't bother unless it's >$100. Not sure why...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, they probably prioritize the packages that will generate the most revenue. I'm sure they can't check every one.

Heck, whether or not your package gets opened seems completely random too.

Lexxism

Guys, what store can you recommend for something like this one?

iCarbons_Nexus_5_Brushed_Aluminum_Icon_1024x1024.jpg

Thanks. I guess I'll just stick with BL2 bundle :/

I've definitely been charged duties/tax/handling for orders under $100. That Tekken Hybrid fightstick from Namco Bandai/Digital River, for example, was only $50. I think I paid about half that again in brokerage, if not more.

That said, everything I've ever been shipped from Japan has made it through with no problems. But most of those packages are from YesAsia and have been under $100. Once I was shipped a vinyl record that cost me about $100 and that made it through okay too, but that might be a special case because it was used.

I'm pretty sure I'm also going to stick with the BL2 bundle, though I would love to get my hands on one of the coloured JPN Vitas (especially if they ever came out with a white/mint colour, mmmmmmmmm). I've been keeping an eye out for special deals like coupons or whatnot but best bet might just be to wait until a Shoppers Drug Mart has them in stock during a 20x points event. I would even take a Shop.ca deal at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've definitely been charged duties/tax/handling for orders under $100. That Tekken Hybrid fightstick from Namco Bandai/Digital River, for example, was only $50. I think I paid about half that again in brokerage, if not more.
The difference is that UPS will go through customs every time, while EMS/Canada Post is basically a lottery.

If Namco/Digital River just used USPS, there would be fewer headaches.

jholmes

Right on might send a couple PMs, but no not in Alberta, leaving Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Don't have a place to rent yet so I can't get it on the plane with me.

Awesome. I'm a Toronto guy so I was pretty lonely out there to start with, but people who move from Newfoundland or Cape Breton seem to know half the town as soon as they arrive.

Don't hesitate to drop a line. I know how it can be moving across the country to somewhere you've never even seen before.

Based on tivs.ca, they have the slim console for $50 while the kinect for $8.

(This could be not an accurate representation but at least gives you an idea how much it is)

Definitely not worth it. I'm sure you've considered trying out Kijiji, you'll probably get the best deal there.

If you're in or around Hamilton, there's a store called Entertainment Overload that pays decent for used games and systems. Compared to EB anyway. There used to be a couple near Niagara as well, but I think they closed, or are closing.

Thanks guys, and wow at EB trade in values!
I thought I'd try my luck on Kijiji, put my 4GB slim 360 with Kinect and some old games like Gears of War 1-3, basically GoW 3 was the newest one, everything for $150, a guy came and picked it up in a few minutes, too quickly he had to wait outside until I packed everything lol

terrible

Banned
Grats.

I won't even buy something from outside of Canada if it ships via UPS or DHL unless it's a low value item. Their fees are an absolute nightmare. I don't have an issue paying duty but their brokerage fees are insane.

FrsDvl

Teletraan1

Banned
Is SDM selling video games a regional thing. I live in Southern Ontario and have never seen anything game related in my local stores.

zroid

Banned
I find that the bigger stores tend to have them. Although some stores are still carrying PS3s and Xbox 360s. lol

When I was trying to hunt down a PS3 at Shoppers a few weeks ago, I found one store that still had a 320GB Sports Champions PS Move bundle... for $349.99!

Top Bottom