• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah if PSN catches up to the dollar I don't know what I'll do. I already feel particularly bad about having so many digital titles as opposed to physical discs.

CKB3375

With PSN cards, tax is paid at point of sale at the retailer, not when those points are used for purchases via the PS Store. Xbox is different in that tax is charged when the points are used for purchases on Live, and the cards are tax free at retail.

With PSN cards, tax is paid at point of sale at the retailer, not when those points are used for purchases via the PS Store. Xbox is different in that tax is charged when the points are used for purchases on Live, and the cards are tax free at retail.

No, this is wrong. A $50 PSN card costs $50. You are then able to buy a $49.99 game on the PS Store. No tax is ever charged.

I am not here to brag about PC Gaming, but games are definitely cheaper on PC.
You can get all the new releases for 44.99USD on Greenmangaming or even less on some obscure websites (you know them).

44.99USD = Around 58-59$.

That being said, The Witcher 3 is still 53.99CAD on Steam for preorder...I grabbed it yesterday.

and you can't re-sell them. not everyone collects and keeps games. in fact, an overwhelming majority don't.

CKB3375

No, this is wrong. A $50 PSN card costs $50. You are then able to buy a $49.99 game on the PS Store. No tax is ever charged.

In Ontario, tax is most definitely now charged on PSN cards. Do you live in another province?

Edit; I should clarify that EB charges tax on PSN cards in ON. I haven't tried elsewhere but did not think of questioning EB as it would make sense that tax is charged somewhere.

kennah

New deal.

Free copy of There Came an Echo in the thread on the gaming side (I almost missed it myself, so figured would post it here.)

In Ontario, tax is most definitely now charged on PSN cards. Do you live in another province?

Edit; I should clarify that EB charges tax on PSN cards in ON. I haven't tried elsewhere but did not think of questioning EB as it would make sense that tax is charged somewhere.

I live in Ontario and have never been taxed. I know someone that got charged tax for PS+ at EB, though. I don't like to associate with EB unless I need to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am not here to brag about PC Gaming, but games are definitely cheaper on PC.
You can get all the new releases for 44.99USD on Greenmangaming or even less on some obscure websites (you know them).

44.99USD = Around 58-59$.

That being said, The Witcher 3 is still 53.99CAD on Steam for preorder...I grabbed it yesterday.
I feel like the death of cross-region sales has really hurt my PC gaming purchases. The Witcher 3 was basically 13 dollars if you could find the right seller, but of course, those prices are long gone now.

At best, you can only hope that Nuuvem has deals, because the prices in Brazil are generally lower than the prices in North America.

The only store that has charged me tax for eShop/PSN credit is The Source, actually.

Yep. Stay away unless they have an exclusive sale, but most of the time you can just price-match. Sadly I got my two XBL Gold cards there but I don't remember if it was a Black Friday deal or not so maybe I couldn't have price-matched anyway...

ohlawd

Yep. Stay away unless they have an exclusive sale, but most of the time you can just price-match. Sadly I got my two XBL Gold cards there but I don't remember if it was a Black Friday deal or not so maybe I couldn't have price-matched anyway...

I know first hand to avoid Source for prepaid stuff D:

Well if you plan on doing this year, do it now because I haven't seen a price increase in PC parts YET. I just updated mine 3 weeks ago.

The RAM I can do now. As far as the GPU goes I'm just waiting it out for the next Nvidia series. I have a 770 right now and it's served me well these 2 years but I also really want everything (when I do play on PC) to run at 60FPS with all the bells and whistles.\

It's starting to get tougher getting new games on PC. I used to heavily rely on GMG for anything new (Got Wolfenstein New Order at launch last year for I think $50). Now everytime I use a coupon it just... Invalidates the actual discount itself. $47.99 USD is still just $60 CAD

Brooks2304

Neo Member
$74.99 for games is going to be a very tough sell. As someone who likes to buy games new, I will definitely not be buying games at that price with how bad our economy is becoming. Going from 59.99 to 69.99 was enough. Hopefully the sales at that price are going to decline enough to make that price short-lived.

So glad I have had Phantom Pain on order for two years from FS.

Still, that won't protect me in the future.

NEW DEAL (RED TEXT)

Final Fantasy: Curtain Call for 3DS is down to $24.95 at FS. I was hoping for it to go down to $19.99 but the .95 makes me think it's on some sort of clearance at this point. So if you were planning on picking it up, now might be the time.

I know FS clearance is .97 so I am not sure if the .95 is supposed to indicate something else.

.95 might mean gone when gone. So no restocks. Not surprised. Digitally it's still $39.99.

Megasoum

Banned
Not sure if posted already but... I guess NEW DEAL? lol

There's a new Class Action Lawsuit going on right now with DRAM Manufacturer and collusion that happened 15 years ago.

If you go here: https://cestmonargent.ca/home you can claim 20$ if you bought any electronic using RAM between 1999 and 2002 (you did). No proof of purchase necessary.

If you still happen to have 15 year olds bills/receipts laying around then you can potentially ask for more.

I bet it will probably take like 6 months before we get our check but hey, whatever... Easy money!

There's a new Class Action Lawsuit going on right now with DRAM Manufacturer and collusion that happened 15 years ago.

If you go here: https://cestmonargent.ca/home you can claim 20$ if you bought any electronic using RAM between 1999 and 2002 (you did). No proof of purchase necessary.

If you still happen to have 15 year olds bills laying around then you can potentially ask for more.

I bet it will probably take like 6 months before we get our check but hey, whatever... Easy money!

That's basically a guaranteed $20 for everyone who has ever posted on this forum and is from Canada.

I doubt I have any receipts from that time.

explodet

I wonder if I still have my old PS2/GBA receipts...

EDIT: Hang on, more than FOUR? Geez, I doubt I'll be able to prove that, unless they'll take a photo of a cabinet crammed full of consoles from that era.

BadWolf

If you still happen to have 15 year olds bills/receipts laying around then you can potentially ask for more.

Thanks!

This is the second time I'm getting free money thanks to this thread, the last time was that yogurt claim.

I remember filling this exact type of claim like a year ago. I've wondered a couple times if it ever went through. Is this the same law suit?

Harusame

I don't get taxed on my PSN cards, and I live in Ontario.
... Unless you're buying from EB, they tax all of their pre-paid cards...

Living in BC, there is no tax applied when buying the PSN pre-paid card, however we do get taxed when purchasing a game in PSN.

My brain has been trained by the internet to assume this isn't real and is too paranoid to try... Let me know when/if you get your money, heh.

BadWolf

My brain has been trained by the internet to assume this isn't real and is too paranoid to try... Let me know when/if you get your money, heh.

Something similar popped up a while back but it was for a yogurt company.

Entered for myself and a family member, we both ended up getting a cheque for $30 each.

Yeah if PSN catches up to the dollar I don't know what I'll do. I already feel particularly bad about having so many digital titles as opposed to physical discs.

I hear you. I mostly buy everything on sale now anyways - but to be safe, I preordered Uncharted 4 and Bloodbourne last night. Will be getting 15 back as part of the spend $100 promotion.

Last year I waited too long to preorder Second Son, and the day before I was gonna do it, PSN raised the price from 59 to 69.

That said, I generally avoid buy games on day 1 nowadays. Only the above two are exceptions for me.

maneil99

I can't even blame publishers. The Canadian dollar is absolute shit atm. In less then a year and a half it's dropped like 20%

Yeah of the DRAM.

$74.99 + taxes here in Newfoundland is almost $85. If this price hike actually happens I refuse to buy anything but Persona 5 and The Phantom Pain. This is getting ridiculous. Damn Canadian dollar. :(

Ondore

NEW DEAL

Holy crap, some of these Vita game deals are insane. (Starts some time tomorrow.)
lK9xNwy.jpg

jzbluz

It was also delisted recently or something, right?

I think that was in Japan only. It's a bit more expensive in PSN though.

Living in BC, there is no tax applied when buying the PSN pre-paid card, however we do get taxed when purchasing a game in PSN.

Since when do we get taxed? Did I manage to miss this?

Man, I wish I had bought more PSN cards when target was doing the sales. With tomorrow's sale and Oreshika next week, I probably won't be left with any funds.

Top Bottom