• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Canon

Banned
Just noticed I didn't get e3 pre-order deal on Kirby: Rainbow Curse, so I guess I'm returning that.

My god $75 for a game is actually a thing. Canadian dollar must be real low right now, yeesh. Looks like xenoblade, splatoon and Zelda are last purchases of the year.
Yeah that fucking sucks. I bought it today at Toys R Us with the CINEPLEXHOLIDAY coupon for $34.99. Just need to wait for the in-store pick up email, but the problem is the store closes in an hour and they said it could take 3 hours.

trixx

Yeah that fucking sucks. I bought it today at Toys R Us with the CINEPLEXHOLIDAY coupon for $34.99. Just need to wait for the in-store pick up email, but the problem is the store closes in an hour and they said it could take 3 hours.

I hope you get the email on time. The game looks so good but my backlog is immense right now so I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Oh shit, we actually moved all the Amiibo people to their own thread, thank god.

For those of you who are skipping the "deals" where a new release is 59.99, are you just going to give up gaming for 5 years or something?

Roto13

Oh shit, we actually moved all the Amiibo people to their own thread, thank god.

For those of you who are skipping the "deals" where a new release is 59.99, are you just going to give up gaming for 5 years or something?

The word "deal" doesn't only apply to new releases.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah people tend to forget this. They also tend to forget inflation, which has lead to games being cheaper than they've ever been for years, despite the cost of making games skyrocketing. It makes little sense when you think about it.

However, the gaming market expanded considerably since then and back then it didn't have competition from free / super-cheap games on iOS, Steam, etc.

NolbertoS

I'd like to know if that is in Canadian dollars?

Adjust for inflation, Earthbound would have cost $129.84 today assuming that's a Canadian price listed.

That flyer is Canadian. SNES games in the US were never higher than 49.99 - 55.99, from what I can recall. I remember Target would have the SNES and Genesis with Contra III to play for hours.

However, the gaming market expanded considerably since then and back then it didn't have competition from free / super-cheap games on iOS, Steam, etc.

yeah, sure. but how many other products can you think of that since, say, 1993, have gotten cheaper despite inflation? i can think of maybe computers, but that's a special circumstance considering the prices of all those components have dropped drastically.

make no mistake, i don't want game prices to go up, but we've had it pretty good since the PS2 days.

isny

napkin dispenser
That flyer is Canadian. SNES games in the US were never higher than 49.99 - 55.99, from what I can recall. I remember Target would have the SNES and Genesis with Contra III to play for hours.

Yeah, that flyer is from Consumers. Loved that place as a kid, the catalogues were full of stuff I wanted but never got, lol

Gritesh

Yikes 69.99 now for a new release game.

Guess I'm sitting out any new releases that aren't my e3 pre-orders.

This is highway robbery.

Kilvin

I already wasn't buying games at 69.99, this just pushes me further down that path.

I'm happy to wait a few months for the price to drop, I no longer feel the need to own a game day one.

The one possible exception may be Persona 5, but I need to seriously think that over at these prices.

GuessWho

lol 69.99 was a big no for me. Now it seems like I'll be waiting a few months to try out games.
This be the end of gaming in Canada.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty much exclusively playing on 3DS/Vita/PC these days and one of the factors is relatively cheaper games. Apart from UNIEL, MKX, and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, I don't see myself getting a single PS3 game on release. Also, will probably renew PS+ and keep playing them monthly IGC offerings.

mdubs

Banned
I already wasn't buying games at 69.99, this just pushes me further down that path.

I'm happy to wait a few months for the price to drop, I no longer feel the need to own a game day one.

The one possible exception may be Persona 5, but I need to seriously think that over at these prices.

Persona 5 is worth so much more than $74.99

I'm pretty much exclusively playing on 3DS/Vita/PC these days and one of the factors is relatively cheaper games. Apart from UNIEL, MKX, and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, I don't see myself getting a single PS3 game on release. Also, will probably renew PS+ and keep playing them monthly IGC offerings.
Same. This is what I did the last time I recall the dollar was like this, so I stuck mostly with my DS and PS2.

Savitar

Either Chrono Trigger of Final Fantasy III cost me 120 with taxes way back when.

Or maybe I should say my parents had to pay it, I had nice parents.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Check the last page, some screenshot of upcoming games on futureshop listed at 74.99

hot damn. nooooo ;.;

why has our economy gone to shit :(

No one ever reads previous pages. That's one of the reasons these threads get so long, we always get the same question on every page, lol

the pic doesn't load on my cell sorry

FluxWaveZ

You guys wonder how fs could sell those e3 40 games at this rate without losing tons of money?

They can still do the deal. The games will just be $60 now instead of $40.

Oh wait, for the ones already pre-ordered? Yeah, I guess they'd be losing money now.

I just hope Game Access isn't affected by this. Their subscription prices have been constant.

1. Steam backlog!
2. Backlog of console games I bought at well under $60 and haven't gotten to yet.
3. Even if I did somehow run out of backlog games, there will always be smaller digital download games and PS+/Games With Gold.
4. Even if that runs out, I can always wait a few months for retail console games to drop in price.
5. Even if THAT somehow runs out: yes, I would stop playing games until prices came back down. I rarely bought games even at $60.

Was thinking about buying BF:HL but there's no way I'm pre-ordering, or paying 74.99.

Even the Witcher 3 is going to be hard to purchase at that price.

LordAmused

I am not here to brag about PC Gaming, but games are definitely cheaper on PC.
You can get all the new releases for 44.99USD on Greenmangaming or even less on some obscure websites (you know them).

44.99USD = Around 58-59$.

That being said, The Witcher 3 is still 53.99CAD on Steam for preorder...I grabbed it yesterday.

MercuryLS

Banned
A storm is coming
b1af684e2a.jpg

$59.99 in US

lol, fuck that.

*clings to the last of my E3 preorders for dear life*

Yup, thankfully I have most of the big 2015 PS4 games locked in at $40. After that I'm not sure what I'll do, probably just wait for deep price drops like I used to do.

Not the same thing but I'm guessing computer component prices will also experience the price bump if they haven't already

Oh damn you're right.

Damn it. I was planning on doing a GPU and RAM upgrade this year as well.

PSN to the rescue, I guess. Charging me 69.99 for games but at least they don't charge taxes.

Vibranium

Banned
Eh, I've got a lot of stuff to play, I'm done focusing on the price hikes, companies will do what they please with the dollar in the way. Canadians get screwed, but whatever.

I should be able to trade and buy stuff for cheaper still. I am curious about how long this tunnel is going to last though. Maybe the extra $5 will be gone by next year at least.

LordAmused

Oh damn you're right.

Damn it. I was planning on doing a GPU and RAM upgrade this year as well.

PSN to the rescue, I guess. Charging me 69.99 for games but at least they don't charge taxes.

Well if you plan on doing this year, do it now because I haven't seen a price increase in PC parts YET. I just updated mine 3 weeks ago.

yeah, sure. but how many other products can you think of that since, say, 1993, have gotten cheaper despite inflation? i can think of maybe computers, but that's a special circumstance considering the prices of all those components have dropped drastically.

make no mistake, i don't want game prices to go up, but we've had it pretty good since the PS2 days.

Here's the thing though, it's not that we've had it good, our wages have barely increased at all in the last 20 or so years, and even if the Canadian dollar continues to sink, our wages are not going up with those price increases.

These price increases could perhaps be justified if these were expensive physical products to produce, but they're not. Printing copies of games is no doubt intensely cheap for publishers. How tough would it be for publishers to simply decrease their Canadian wholesale prices? You could even argue that dev costs are still an issue, except, a lot of those games are developed in Canada, so that's not even always the case. In fact, games developed in Canada from a worldwide publisher are even cheaper, as once again, wages stay the same, but they are getting more bang for the american buck.

I've completely stopped buying new games these days, and I basically just buy used or cheap digitally. It just seems irresponsible to blow so much cash on a game when prices drop like rocks so quickly these days. I wonder how many others are in the same boat? $75 is a ton of money to pay for a single game, I can't easily imagine their sales continuing to be great.

diaspora

I am not here to brag about PC Gaming, but games are definitely cheaper on PC.
You can get all the new releases for 44.99USD on Greenmangaming or even less on some obscure websites (you know them).

44.99USD = Around 58-59$.

That being said, The Witcher 3 is still 53.99CAD on Steam for preorder...I grabbed it yesterday.

Bestbuy's E3 deal makes Witcher 3 PC $34.99 =P

Top Bottom