• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Standing in line at EB London Masonville. About 8 people in front of me, got to the store 10 minutes before opening. Here's hoping...

It's crazy that this LE has gained so much hype.

There is nothing considerably special about it.

The only reason I am trying for one is that it's not too much more than buying a regular edition. I might as well.

So I went to one of the stores when they opened at 9:30am.

First they told me they knew last week and couldn't say anything. So I asked why it was fine for them to announce it on Twitter but you guys couldn't?

Then they said they got an allocation of 5 and I was 4/5. I asked how that was possible and they said they got web preorders.

Wait.

It isn't on the website. So I called them on that and they said it went up for bit around midnight.

Bullshit.

Called corporate and then spoke to their district manager.

I am now 1/5 and those 3 will be available to the public not put aside for staff.

Fuck you to all EB employees that do this shit.

HAHAHA I absolutely love that you did this!

Proto_Man

Neo Member

First they told me they knew last week and couldn't say anything. So I asked why it was fine for them to announce it on Twitter but you guys couldn't?

Then they said they got an allocation of 5 and I was 4/5. I asked how that was possible and they said they got web preorders.

Wait.

It isn't on the website. So I called them on that and they said it went up for bit around midnight.

Bullshit.

I am now 1/5 and those 3 will be available to the public not put aside for staff.

Yup. same old story with them. No luck online yet

Vamphuntr

If anyone goes to a store and has the same issue call them on their bullshit. If they are sold out when you get there this early it is likely bullshit.

Don't take it from them!

How do you even know he told you the truth. If they were really against it they would have stopped it from happening much sooner. Seems like the usual CS response that all is fine now.

They will probably go fast online.

I expect them to be up for five minutes.

Can delivery address be changed after an order is placed on ebgames.ca? I would not mine trying to get one for someone here and changing the address to someone else before shipping day in exchange of Paypal payment, at price paid.

zroid

Banned

Wait.

Bullshit.

hohoho

How do you even know he told you the truth. If they were really against it they would have stopped it from happening much sooner. Seems like the usual CS response that all is fine now.

What? Because I was on the phone while in store and it was their district manager. It wasn't just customer service random person.

BlueStitch

Neo Member
Decided to try my luck since I'll be grabbing the game regardless (and Skull Kid is cool as fuck). Walk in right after class, "after this gentleman we are sold out." How come? "We only got 6." I was unfortunately not said gentleman. But that quick? They only opened like 5 minutes before I got there

Also hello! Been lurking for a while so I figured I'd finally say something lol

Employees getting first dibs is nothing new and not even exclusive to gaming. I just assume that anyone working in a retail outlet will order one for themselves if they want something that's going to be in high demand.

If they are taking 4/5 it's understandable to be upset but if they're ordering one, I have no issue with it.

Employees getting first dibs is nothing new and not even exclusive to gaming. I just assume that anyone working in a retail outlet will order one for themselves if they want something that's going to be in high demand.

If they are taking 4/5 it's understandable to be upset but if they're ordering one, I have no issue with it.

It's not allowed on a corporate level and shouldn't persist. This type of attitude doesn't help.

They can purchase or preorder off shift if the store manager is on. They have the option, use it. The store manager was the only one in, so they easily could have come in. They are just lazy and entitled. Fuck them.

Reddaye

Banned
Well I guess I'll just forget about getting a LE Majoras Mask by the sounds of this thread. Between the snow storm locally and EB employees sniping them I'd say theres zero chance I'll be able to get one :-(

Kind of a bummer.

Well I guess I'll just forget about getting a LE Majoras Mask by the sounds of this thread. Between the snow storm locally and EB employees sniping them I'd say theres zero chance I'll be able to get one :-(

Kind of a bummer.

Can try online today. FS and BB will also get them online, just don't know when.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
It's not allowed on a corporate level and shouldn't persist. This type of attitude doesn't help.

They can purchase or preorder off shift if the store manager is on. They have the option, use it. The store manager was the only one in, so they easily could have come in. They are just lazy and entitled. Fuck them.

Exactly, I was there day 1 for the Amiibo stuff (Same day as the Pokemon launch), 2nd guy in the store. They had a WALL of Mario, Kirby, Link, Peach and Samus. What the hell happened to the rest? Employees. Employees made 12 Marths/Villagers/WiiFitTrainers disappear? It's not just staff wanting one for themselves. It's an all out buy to flip gauntlet.

antibolo

Banned
Is EBGames ever going to fix their shitty broken site?

Also, sad at them removing Vita from the main bar :(
Though I guess it was inevitable.

Dazzler

I've got no issue with it either. One of the few perks of working a shitty retail job

I used to do it all the time at HMV

watatatow

Went to EB Games at opening, second in line, and they said they were already sold out since yesterday, even though when both me and the first guy in line called the same store yesterday, they said they had no idea about when the orders would go up at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's shady and unfair to customers who put in the effort. Customers first.

As someone who worked retail, you end up taking very little pride in your job. Especially when customers come in and treat you like crap.

I had no problem doing it.

I would never condone hoarding though.

Vamphuntr

What? Because I was on the phone while in store and it was their district manager. It wasn't just customer service random person.

Because when I was in college I worked at an amusement park and we would get tons of complaints and angry customers everyday and the managers would tell them all the time they would get the employees fired that did this or told them that and they would change the procedure and whatnot and it wouldn't be true. The managers would tell us the best way to get rid off angry customers is to make them believe they are important.

As someone who worked retail, you end up taking very little pride in your job. Especially when customers come in and treat you like crap.

I had no problem doing it.

I would never condone hoarding though.

I agree, first dibs at BlockBuster was one of the only perks for working there. I figure if stores get over a certain number of things that employees should have dibs rights, but in short supply cases like the Majora's LE they would have to come in as customers instead.

I agree, first dibs at BlockBuster was one of the only perks for working there. I figure if stores get over a certain number of things that employees should have dibs rights, but in short supply cases like the Majora's LE they would have to come in as customers instead.

That is the one thing that is true and Bluth is right about, you did need to be in the store.

At least that was the case at Blockbuster.

That generally never stopped me from getting what I wanted if it was in short supply though.

EB Games Canada @EBGamesCanada said:
FYI... We will start taking pre-orders on #MajorasMask3D Limited Edition starting tomorrow if our employees did not pre-order them all of course! Stay tuned for stories of people wasting their time coming in our stores to pre-order at opening! :)

:)

lilty

Was able to get MM LE. I was the first one in the store when it opened at 9:30. Looks like our location is getting 10 but they're gonna go fast if they're not gone already.

Dazzler

It's shady and unfair to customers who put in the effort. Customers first.

with the amount of crap you put up with from customers, it's hard not to grab any small perk you can

I understand both sides of the argument, but if I worked at EB I'd be picking one or two up myself

zroid

Banned
in fact if you put use the "compare" feature on the site, there is actually an add to basket button available for MM3D LE, but when you do it the basket remains empty

God this Majora's Mask LE hype is REAL.

yeah it was the Commerce Court one :( now the closest to my work is the Spadina-Queen one, or Bathurst-Bloor

That one is still open though. I was there yesterday with friends trying to find Fight Night Round 3. Still going with my back up plan of Y&E EB Games, if not that then the Commerce Court one. I never see anyone else at the Commerce Court EB Games.

I mentioned how Gamerama in Toronto is under new ownership.

Well, after a few months they seem to still be as shitty as they were before.

Although they continue to get Retron 5s in stock, which I am tempted by.

They have a copy Minecraft used for PS4. I am not sure how that works.

I live in the area and noticed the "Under New Ownership" or "New Day Manager" or something like that sign and assumed it would mean nothing. Well, good to know it's the same as always. I tend to recommend checking out almost every local game store here except for Gamerama.

what are you guys using in the search engine on eb's site? searching for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Limited Edition Bundle is too obscure. Whereas The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask only brings up the regular edition.

Top Bottom