• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Vamphuntr

Wait what? O_O

xvwv0Ut.png

Anth0ny

Seems like ebgames.ca is about to discontinue the vita or at least get rid of most of their games. Their vita section is now under the other tab and half the games give error or returns you to their home page.

The moment I've been waiting for? $50 vita???

probably just a website glitch. Vita isn't going anywhere

Yasumi

Banned
Seems like ebgames.ca is about to discontinue the vita or at least get rid of most of their games. Their vita section is now under the other tab and half the games give error or returns you to their home page.
Nah, the website's just crapping itself.
3XGBmrO.jpg

Sealtest

Would be a great time for me to finally start buying some vita games if they go on clearance! Been really wanting to try Neptunia and Senran Kagura ever since my friend said i'd enjoy them.

ohlawd

Would be a great time for me to finally start buying some vita games if they go on clearance! Been really wanting to try Neptunia and Senran Kagura ever since my friend said i'd enjoy them.

hope it happens eventually

I wanna pick up stuff like Neptunia, Disgaea and all that but only for $10 each or lower

Sealtest

it's a shame that the only physical game/digital game i plan on buying for my vita is digimon cyber sleuth from CD Japan.

I even have a vita tv that I haven't even used...

my 10yo self would kill me for my lack of handheld gaming.

So I called both EB Games in town here in my city in Canada and both keep denying any knowledge of the preorders for the Majora's Mask LE tomorrow.

They have both been shady in the past hoarding very limited LEs for staff and I swear they are doing it again.

One opens at 9:30am and the other at 10am. I'll be going to both. No reason why they shouldn't have the details. I called EB Games Corporate and they said emails were sent to stores at 12pm EST today.

They are fucking lying.

Draff

Looks like the App Store's prices have switched over. I was comparing some US and CAD prices and looks like some apps are charging way more than the usual currency conversion rates. For example, Drop Wizard is $0.99 in the US store, and $1.49 in the Canadian store.

Sealtest

Futureshop Judy confirmed FS is getting MM LE so i'm guessing BB will be as well.

No time or date when we'd get it so I expect it to just randomly show up.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
So I called both EB Games in town here in my city in Canada and both keep denying any knowledge of the preorders for the Majora's Mask LE tomorrow.

They have both been shady in the past hoarding very limited LEs for staff and I swear they are doing it again.

One opens at 9:30am and the other at 10am. I'll be going to both. No reason why they shouldn't have the details. I called EB Games Corporate and they said emails were sent to stores at 12pm EST today.

They are fucking lying.

A lot of the staff of EB Games are "in the know". They would open games and take Nintendo codes, they would take all the expensive Amiibos and flip them (Ditto with preorder bonuses).

When you get paid a crappy wage, it's one of the few ways to balance that negative and they do it en mass.

Are they lying to you? Yes they are. They no doubt have a 10 LE cap and all of staff is getting 3 each to put on Ebay.

They are fucking lying.

What province is this?

Looks like the App Store's prices have switched over. I was comparing some US and CAD prices and looks like some apps are charging way more than the usual currency conversion rates. For example, Drop Wizard is $0.99 in the US store, and $1.49 in the Canadian store.
It's 20% hike. $0.99 games are now $1.19.

ahdurian

A lot of the staff of EB Games are "in the know". They would open games and take Nintendo codes, they would take all the expensive Amiibos and flip them (Ditto with preorder bonuses).

When you get paid a crappy wage, it's one of the few ways to balance that negative and they do it en mass.

Are they lying to you? Yes they are. They no doubt have a 10 LE cap and all of staff is getting 3 each to put on Ebay.

this is why i liked the EB near my work...they never did stuff like this, because they didn't have to. it's in the Financial district in Toronto, so not many people would actually go there for preorders/LEs, so I always was able to get what I wanted.
I'm sad they had to close down the location :(

yeah, of course they have it - he was smart to contact corporate never let those guys drag you around like that - i even had the district manager i think contact me an apologise with something related to deus ex.

baconcow

I once had the local EB Games employee try to get the only Dragon's Crown art book that came in. One employee claimed there was one other that was before me, and that there were no other books. When I went to pay for my pre-order copy, the second employee went to get the book on the shelf when I re-asked. The first employee began speaking to him low that the other employee not yet in would get be pissed. They made the mistake of telling me it was first come first serve and then letting me know they had one. I called them out on it and he looked pretty embarrassed.

I stopped pre-ordering at EB Games, that day, when looking for physical bonus goods. Seemed like a sleezy thing for them to do. I pre-ordered almost immediately and came to the store nearly first thing. It was not the first time EB had no pre-order items for me despite pre-ordering way in advance and getting there ASAP.

Most, yes, but as I mentioned, Drop Wizard is $1.49 now.
not sure why that is. The mapping is to increments of one dollar, so my bet is that internally, that game didn't have a Canadian price set. Here's what I can find right now from my mailer.

0.99 -> 1.19
1.99 -> 2.29
2.99 -> 3.49
3.99 -> 4.59
4.99 -> 5.79

Time to down adjust the Canadian price for my apps before I take a beating for the price hike. :mad:

Edit: yup, a bunch of games hasn't even been updated, and probably don't have a Canadian price set, hence the odd conversion.

I once had the local EB Games employee try to get the only Dragon's Crown art book that came in. One employee claimed there was one other that was before me, and that there were no other books. When I went to pay for my pre-order copy, the second employee went to get the book on the shelf when I re-asked. The first employee began speaking to him low that the other employee not yet in would get be pissed. They made the mistake of telling me it was first come first serve and then letting me know they had one. I called them out on it and he looked pretty embarrassed.

I stopped pre-ordering at EB Games, that day, when looking for physical bonus goods. Seemed like a sleezy thing for them to do. I pre-ordered almost immediately and came to the store nearly first thing. It was not the first time EB had no pre-order items for me despite pre-ordering way in advance and getting there ASAP.

Yeah they did this to me for the Destiny Ghost Edition for PS4. I was there day one right when they opened and confirmed from the store manage I was first. Then they only got one physically in. Guess who didn't have a preorder?

Me.

I went to bat and they fessed up and I ended with the only one they got. I had it paid in full day one as well. Fuckers.

I wanted to call them out and call corporate but I have someone I know who works there. If shit goes down tomorrow I will be ready to call the district manager.

this is why i liked the EB near my work...they never did stuff like this, because they didn't have to. it's in the Financial district in Toronto, so not many people would actually go there for preorders/LEs, so I always was able to get what I wanted.
I'm sad they had to close down the location :(

Are you talking about the EB Games in Commerce Court? I like that one. It feels so out of the way and you can tell not a lot of people even know it's there. Hell, my friends didn't even know Commerce Court existed, let alone an EB Games in there.
I'll be pre-ordering my Majora's Mask LE there if the one at Y&E won't accept more

EDIT: Nevermind you said they closed down. I had a few beers and I'm tired from work it's not my fault I can't read. Well... The one in Commerce Court is close enough... I guess

I worked at an EB for a bit a few years ago, and I hoarded sooooo much shit for myself. Back when Guitar Hero was first released on PS2, we only got two copies (this was well before it was a phenomenon), and I snagged one. We also got one random copy of the MGS3 Subsistence Limited Edition which was never actually released in Canada, which I held onto for a few years and sold sealed for a couple hundred bucks.

I can't speak for what they're paid now, but I was paid $7 an hour, so I have zero remorse. Our "discount" was a whopping 10%, so that sure wasn't sweetening the deal. Gotta take the perks where you can get them.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
I worked at an EB for a bit a few years ago, and I hoarded sooooo much shit for myself. Back when Guitar Hero was first released on PS2, we only got two copies (this was well before it was a phenomenon), and I snagged one. We also got one random copy of the MGS3 Subsistence Limited Edition which was never actually released in Canada, which I held onto for a few years and sold sealed for a couple hundred bucks.

I can't speak for what they're paid now, but I was paid $7 an hour, so I have zero remorse. Our "discount" was a whopping 10%, so that sure wasn't sweetening the deal. Gotta take the perks where you can get them.

That's just it, I speak of experience because my friend works at EB and has for 4 years now (Montreal, Downtown). They all get paid shit but since they are in the know of what is in demand, any way to make an extra buck from their jump in the easy "flip for money" age of Ebay every pre-order exclusive was gone before the first person walked in.

Lego Minifig preorder exclusives for the Lego video games, they would get them a week before the release date of the game, then put a solid chunk of them on Ebay.

And if you can't find any Amiibos of any value..... it's not douche scalpers, it's the staff. That stuff is gone and spoken for before the case is even open and on Ebay before you even step into the store.

They are fucking lying.

I remember back when the Pikachu 3DS was getting released, I walked into my local EB Games hoping to put down a preorder. The girl at the counter looked at me and said "Sorry, we can't take any more preorders!" and I told her how that was a bummer since it looked so appealing, to which she told me that she agreed that it was just too awesome, and how she and all the other Nintendo guys in the store had one preordered the day they were announced.

Completely fair business practices going down in EB Games =/

Anth0ny

I remember back when the Pikachu 3DS was getting released, I walked into my local EB Games hoping to put down a preorder. The girl at the counter looked at me and said "Sorry, we can't take any more preorders!" and I told her how that was a bummer since it looked so appealing, to which she told me that she agreed that it was just too awesome, and how she and all the other Nintendo guys in the store had one preordered the day they were announced.

Completely fair business practices going down in EB Games =/

I actually got my Pikachu 3DS XL from an EB Games employee.

I walked in after school on launch day, asked for the system, and they said they were sold out. They only got 2 and you had to pre-order to have any chance of buying one. Damn. Then some dude in the back just walks up to the desk and is like "You know what, you can have this one. I was gonna take it home but I don't think I want it." It was the manager of the store and he sold it to me instead of taking it home for himself.

So I got super lucky but I'm pretty certain all the employees get first dibs on the super limited stuff like that. And since we live in Canada, Nintendo probably gives each store 5 or less limited edition consoles or games, so if the employees at an EB Games are Nintendo fans, you might be shit outta luck.

ahdurian

Are you talking about the EB Games in Commerce Court? I like that one. It feels so out of the way and you can tell not a lot of people even know it's there. Hell, my friends didn't even know Commerce Court existed, let alone an EB Games in there.
I'll be pre-ordering my Majora's Mask LE there if the one at Y&E won't accept more

EDIT: Nevermind you said they closed down. I had a few beers and I'm tired from work it's not my fault I can't read. Well... The one in Commerce Court is close enough... I guess

yeah it was the Commerce Court one :( now the closest to my work is the Spadina-Queen one, or Bathurst-Bloor

I actually got my Pikachu 3DS XL from an EB Games employee.

I walked in after school on launch day, asked for the system, and they said they were sold out. They only got 2 and you had to pre-order to have any chance of buying one. Damn. Then some dude in the back just walks up to the desk and is like "You know what, you can have this one. I was gonna take it home but I don't think I want it." It was the manager of the store and he sold it to me instead of taking it home for himself.

So I got super lucky but I'm pretty certain all the employees get first dibs on the super limited stuff like that. And since we live in Canada, Nintendo probably gives each store 5 or less limited edition consoles or games, so if the employees at an EB Games are Nintendo fans, you might be shit outta luck.

Wow, you did have a huge stroke of luck there! On launch day, I walked into a nearby Walmart and, lo and behold, there was one left for me =]

I wonder how many Shulk amiibos will end up in the hands of EB employees

Proto_Man

Neo Member
I don't know but I kinda regret having mine sent to store instead of mailed to me... Who knows, he might get "lost" once it gets there...

Never send it to the store. It would sooner get "not delivered" and they refund you the money for your pre-order. Then the employee just puts his own money into the cash and buys it to balance the register and stock. Then he hits Ebay

EB is the crazy. At least with Walmart and Toys R Us you have a slight chance of workers who "don't give a shit" but EB........

Never send it to the store. It would sooner get "not delivered" and they refund you the money for your pre-order. Then the employee just puts his own money into the cash and buys it to balance the register and stock. Then he hits Ebay

EB is the crazy. At least with Walmart and Toys R Us you have a slight chance of workers who "don't give a shit" but EB........

I guess we'll see when it comes out, I will go as soon as it opens that morning while they might have a few for people who pre-ordered at the store. The less there is, the more they might be tempted to keep one.

I should not have to be worried about my product being taken by an employee... I remember people at the EB I selected to be cool, but who knows.

This EB Games stuff is bullshit.

You get paid shit working there? It's a fucking retail job, what do you expect?

It is not acceptable at all for staff to hoard and buy everything.

I'll be going there at open for the MM LE. No way they can sell out if I'm the first person there the moment preorders start.

Shit storm incoming.

I'll be going there at open for the MM LE. No way they can sell out if I'm the first person there the moment preorders start.

Shit storm incoming.

I worked at Blockbuster, we would do that sort of stuff all the time. It's one of the few perks of working retail.

Usually you can only do one per person though so there will probably be enough for walk-ins when the store opens.

koopas

Guy at EB in Burlington told me that they had preorders go up Wednesday and they are all sold old. He told me to 'stop looking' as well because all the preorders were gone in the gta already.

Guy at EB in Burlington told me that they had preorders go up Wednesday and they are all sold old. He told me to 'stop looking' as well because all the preorders were gone in the gta already.

People like that deserve to be fired.
We are the customers that keep you in business. Don't fuck us over.

not sure why that is. The mapping is to increments of one dollar, so my bet is that internally, that game didn't have a Canadian price set. Here's what I can find right now from my mailer.

0.99 -> 1.19
1.99 -> 2.29
2.99 -> 3.49
3.99 -> 4.59
4.99 -> 5.79

Time to down adjust the Canadian price for my apps before I take a beating for the price hike. :mad:

Edit: yup, a bunch of games hasn't even been updated, and probably don't have a Canadian price set, hence the odd conversion.
Can confirm now. At below $5, there is an alternate tier pricing. It's basically a flat 50 cent hike.

Here's a old version rehosted by someone else before the hike cause I can't link the official one: http://forecomm.mptw.fr/templates/PriceMatrix.html

I worked at Blockbuster, we would do that sort of stuff all the time. It's one of the few perks of working retail.

Usually you can only do one per person though so there will probably be enough for walk-ins when the store opens.

I can understand the perks and I would probably grab stuff for myself here and there. However, stealing someone else pre-order when they already put money down for it is unacceptable. I can't think that it is common, though. Some people are loud about their EB/Gamestop bad stories.

I can understand the perks and I would probably grab stuff for myself here and there. However, stealing someone else pre-order when they already put money down for it is unacceptable. I can't think that it is common, though. Some people are loud about their EB/Gamestop bad stories.

Oh shit, not directly stealing a preorder. That would be bad.

I was just talking about getting in a preorder before everyone else.

Also, we would take all the codes for rental product since they would only ever be used by the first person renting anyways.

That was about it.

wait what....last i was in there was like September, and they had signs saying they were closing down...wait...maybe im thinking of another one....

If this is Toronto, you're thinking of the Metrocentre one, that one disappeared a few months ago. I feel your pain, OP.

Metrocentre EB, we'll always have my $9.89 PC copy of Singularity.

I mentioned how Gamerama in Toronto is under new ownership.

Well, after a few months they seem to still be as shitty as they were before.

Although they continue to get Retron 5s in stock, which I am tempted by.

They have a copy Minecraft used for PS4. I am not sure how that works.

explodet

If this is Toronto, you're thinking of the Metrocentre one, that one disappeared a few months ago. I feel your pain, OP.

Metrocentre EB, we'll always have my $9.89 PC copy of Singularity.
Yeah, that's the one that closed down. Commerce Court EB is still there.

This is why EB/Gamestop isn't going out of business anytime soon - their best customers are their employees.

Megasoum

Banned
Man... I fucking hate UPS...

Everytime I wait for a package the tracking always tells me it will arrive "Before end of day" for like 3 days in a row before I finally get it.

They are fucking lying.

So I went to one of the stores when they opened at 9:30am.

First they told me they knew last week and couldn't say anything. So I asked why it was fine for them to announce it on Twitter but you guys couldn't?

Then they said they got an allocation of 5 and I was 4/5. I asked how that was possible and they said they got web preorders.

Wait.

It isn't on the website. So I called them on that and they said it went up for bit around midnight.

Bullshit.

Called corporate and then spoke to their district manager.

I am now 1/5 and those 3 will be available to the public not put aside for staff.

Fuck you to all EB employees that do this shit.

Vamphuntr

Shit storm incoming.

It seems it's the first time you are hearing about this :) I thought it was well known by now. I remember preordering Fire Emblem Awakening well in advance and they "never received" my copy. I guess since it was rare they took it.

I went with a friend on boxing day and one of the employee openly told us he had bought the rares amiibos for himself because Nintendo is heavily supply constraining them.

Your best bet if you care about LE and stuff is to buy it from them online.

Top Bottom