• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Megasoum

Banned
Kinda sucks to have lost Zellers for that... Although Zellers was kinda shitty at the end anyway.

I just hope Walmart won't be the only store left in that category.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wonder what'll show up in Bayshore. Nordstrom grabbed the Rideau Sears location, and I'm excited to see that, but I don't know what else could fill the massive space Target has leased.

Wow. Target's leaving already. I knew they were doing poorly and expected it to happen, but it still feels odd to hear.

Bring on liquidated gaming stuff

Jagxyz

I think I only ever bought the PSN cards from them when they were like 30% off or something.

Wonder what will replace all the Target stores now.

flkraven

The Target in our big shopping mall here in St. Catharines just got finished like 6 months ago. Has that cool escalator thing for shopping carts. They literally ripped apart about a 5th of the mall and completely customized it for Target. And now it's closing. Jesus fucking christ.

Sapiens

I'm assuming we're not going to get N3DS charging cradles in Canadian retail (in order to provide us with more choice, of course), where do I buy one online?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jesus. Guelph just lost its major anchor on the south side of town. That's insane.

Also, RIP Rosalina. I guess it's time to get gouged on eBay.

Don't know why but the place was always empty, I personally only went there for their gaming deals, PSN/eshop cards and the buy 2 get 3 games, they will be missed.

I guess walmart doesn't have any competition now, really worrying.

No_Style

I was hoping Target would be a strong competitor to Walmart and have a viable online presence like the U.S counterpart but it ended up being a nicer looking Zellers. I only visited them once for currency card sale.

I'm assuming we're not going to get N3DS charging cradles in Canadian retail (in order to provide us with more choice, of course), where do I buy one online?

I ordered one off eBay last night. It came out to around $28 Canadian shipped from Japan.

I hope I don't get hit with any fees.

It should arrive in about a month.

Shame about Target. I really preferred their shopping experience to Walmart.

That said, I only use(d) the Square One location (which strikes me as one of the nicer locations), so it always looked busy to me.

Lol, wow. That was mighty fast for Target. I never bothered to shop at one, so I have no opinion on their quality, but I might shop their once when they do their inevitable clearance sale.

I'd definitely suggest checking out A&C Games. That said, this post is 100% bias as my friends own the place. They're great guys, though, and do quite a bit for the local competitive gaming community. Prices are up there but the selection is pretty huge. Everyone who works there is really friendly though. Definitely suggest checking it out, even if just to browse.

We go to Toronto from Ottawa to spend a weekend at the ROM and Gallery a couple times each year or so, and I always take the walk from our hotel to A&C; I'll browse at least an hour and spend a minimum of $200 (and usually a lot more) every time I go...

Quenk

Shame about Target. I really preferred their shopping experience to Walmart.

That said, I only use(d) the Square One location (which strikes me as one of the nicer locations), so it always looked busy to me.

To be fair, a lot of people are just passing through to get to/from the bus terminal.

I think one of the things that doomed Target early was the decision to take over Zellers stores as their entrance strategy. Zellers did not have the best locations, and many of them are in more run-down shopping centers so the upscale image Target has in the States would feel more out of place in those locations. The new Target in the Stockyards in Toronto is actually pretty nice, but too far away to visit on a regular basis for me. (To be fair, Walmart isn't much better for downtown Toronto.)

Wonder what'll show up in Bayshore. Nordstrom grabbed the Rideau Sears location, and I'm excited to see that, but I don't know what else could fill the massive space Target has leased.

Thankfully they were just going to be on the top floor, rather than taking up two floors like Zellers did, but yeah...now Bayshore's going to have those red blocks outside for no reason at all. The mall must be happy to have had their renovations mostly paid for, though, even if they're losing that huge store.

explodet

They said I was crazy for getting a Rosalina from Amazon Germany.
No wait, *I* said I was crazy for getting a Rosalina from Amazon Germany.

But in any case, WHO'S CRAZY NOW?

I gave Target a fair shake, went to the Stockyards and Vic Park locations a few times - nothing to make them really stand out, except for those occasional discounted Sony/Nintendo fun bucks cards.

They were even going to open up one near the ACC. Wonder what's going to happen to that space now.

Saturday

Target worker here. Not even surprised. Things were mad shifty for a while before this announcement.

Hell if I know when liquidation starts, though. Chances are I'll learn same time as you all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think one of the things that doomed Target early was the decision to take over Zellers stores as their entrance strategy. Zellers did not have the best locations, and many of them are in more run-down shopping centers so the upscale image Target has in the States would feel more out of place in those locations. The new Target in the Stockyards in Toronto is actually pretty nice, but too far away to visit on a regular basis for me. (To be fair, Walmart isn't much better for downtown Toronto.)
What was weird was that Walmart actually took over some of the downtown Toronto Zellers locations for themselves.

Oh jeez well RIP Target then. Though there aren't really any good accessible locations for me to get to that aren't shit... Aka the Toronto Stockyards one is too far.

Gonna be crazy when they start doing clearance sales.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Kinda sad about Target. Was nice to have an alternative to Wal-Mart. Plus I literally live across the street from a location.

:(

I liked the ascetics of the couple Targets I went into but the amount of empty space on shelves was pretty bad, other parts of the store were a mess too.

Xenoflare

The one near my place is empty even over weekends and holidays.

It used to have the biggest Vita shelf near me. Which is painfully ironic looking back.

Yeah the Vita shelves here in Canada is as good as dead.

I didn't shop at Target much, but each time I went to electronics at least one rep was usually rude.

One cut my Mom off after she'd had surgery and was walking carefully, almost causing her to fall. I didn't notice and wasn't told about it until later, else I would've said something.

And the last two times, I was ignored at the checkout and treated poorly. They let people go ahead of me, told me they wouldn't ring stuff through then changed their minds, etc.

I don't really mind that those people are getting fucked, to be honest, but I do feel bad for everyone else.

Saturday

What do you mean by "shifty"?

Target was kind of facing an uphill battle from the start; as the months went on and the workers paid attention to the quarterly earnings and all that management accordingly became more stiff-lipped when concerns were voiced. Last month or so was particularly tense.

There was a lot going on in general, but I chalked it up to the holidays and in hindsight it seems very anecdotal to where I work so I'll leave that out.

Fuck, I liked Target because they price matched Amazon Canada, so if Future Shop was being an asshole I could go there.

I also liked the free gift cards they gave with games and preorders.

Tuck

Target never had shit in stock - they had massive supply chain issues.

But damn were those flash sales good (Though I was never able to fully take advantage of them).

Should I do that now?

If you wait, Nintendo.com may put it up in their online store and there is always the chance that they will give them away in a Club Nintendo offer.

It depends how badly you need a dock.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nintendo-3DS-LL-XL-Charger-Black-Japan-cradle-docks-/141542142942?

This is the one I ordered. They won't mark it as "gift" though. I didn't realize that until after. They do a lot of business so they should be good.

The price for Canada if one is released will probably be around $22.99, I imagine. So the price I paid doesn't seem to be too bad. I am just worried about import fees.

ohlawd

where the hell can I buy Rosalina now

hoping for a clearance on XBL/PSN/eShop cards. Gonna stock like it's the apocalypse

Top Bottom